- Text Size +

CHAPTER 83 - ...BY THE COURTS, THE GAGGLE AND THE SISTER

 

COURTNEY

 

I watch him be led out, surprisingly quietly, but I suspect that won’t last long. I get the nod from Norace and step forward.

 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, the session is ended for now. This case will reconvene in two weeks’ time from today at 0900, unless you are told otherwise. For the members of the press, there will be no statement made by the attorney, representatives of or by Mr Kinney or his family and friends until after sentencing. All rise!”

 

The press scurry to make their copy and Anita reluctantly follows her soon-to-be squalling and ex-client. I feel sorry for her, she always seems to get the nutters!

 

“Shall we remain, Your Honour?” I gesture between myself and Carly.

 

“No thanks. We will leave them to digest the news.” Norace smiles at me and then clears his throat to bring Arthur’s focus back. “Arthur, do you want to come to my chambers after you talk to your clients?”

 

“Uh, yeah, that would be good, Your Honour. Thanks.”

 

“Right, say in about half an hour? Courtney, you know what to do.”

 

“Indeed. Doubles I think.”

 

“Yeah, or triples.” Arthur mutters.

 

BEN

 

I wait for the door to shut and pull out my hip flask. “Here.” I offer it to Arthur and he takes it gratefully. “I want that back empty, boys.” I smile as Brian looks impatient then horrified and Justin looks equally scandalised.

 

“What was that abomination?” Brian splutters.

 

“It was the only thing they had in the liquor store, I am sorry, but needs must when the devil drives.” I shake the flask then smile, they finished it like I asked.

 

“And he certainly was.” Carl sighs. “You okay, son?”

 

“Yeah, Pa, am fine. Just a bit numb, you know?” Brian replies, scrubbing his face, before giving us a half Kinney smile. “Thank you all for being here for this, I couldn’t…”

 

“Where else would we be?!” Mel chides him.

 

“At the hospital!” Del exclaims. “Lindsay has just gone into labour!”

 

MEETING ROOM FOUR - TEN MINUTES LATER

 

ANITA

 

Willis looks at his watch again. “Take it I am staying for this little tete-a-tete?”

 

“Yes, and get it recorded, please? I know they always are, but I want the request itself recorded…” The door knocking causes my heart to sink and Willis to pull his cuffs out in readiness. I didn't think he would be done this quickly or that he would knock! “Enter.”

 

“Hey…” Carly grins as she pokes her head in. “Courtney sent me...staying or going?”

 

“Staying.” Willis answers and I nod.

 

“And she said doubles in the chambers in half an hour.”

 

“I love that woman!” I chuckle as Carly sits down in readiness.

 

“Don't we all?!” Willis returns, and then we all sigh as the squeak of the trainers up the hallway means that the tantrum is coming.

 

MICHAEL

 

The guard with me is the only reason I don't kick the door open when we get to the room. I am brought up short when I see the other guard from last time and the court typist. It was so distracting with her there. Every time she typed, her many tacky rings flashed and flickered. It was most probably a contributing factor to the crap job she did!

 

“Prisoner Michael Charles Grassi wishes to have a word or two before he is taken to SCI…”

 

“Thought he might. Have a seat.” Anita gestures to the one just to the side and right in front of the other guard. “What time is his pick up?”

 

“The moment you are done. He's the only traveller today.” He turns to the other guard. “Willis, you need me?”

 

“Nah, you go on. I’ve handled him before.”

 

I wait for the door to close behind him and sit down. “What is she doing here?”

 

“Sent by the court. What do you want?” Anita snaps and has the nerve to look bored!

 

“What do I want? Seriously?! I want to not go to prison…”

 

“Shouldn't have been so contemptible then, should you?” Anita retorts, and the other two chuckle.

 

“Contemptible? I thought it...oh, very funny, not!” I fume, but then Willis’s face hardens and I take a few seconds to tamp down my anger. “So why was I found guilty on all and her not?”

 

“They explained that to the court. You were there, not my fault and no longer my concern that you didn't listen...again.”

 

Once more I push down my initial response. “I think there is a case for me to sue you for a bad job.” I enjoy the stunned silence that follows. “You made no attempt to defend me at all.”

 

“I defended what was defensible! Besides, Mr Vague and Vacuous, you admitted it on the stand and then refused to change your plea!”

 

“That was my Tourette’s talking, and…”

 

“Munchausen, it is Munchausen that you don't have!” She starts to gather her papers together. “Okay, I am done with you. I shall send all the papers pertaining to this and and other proceedings to your new attorney…”

 

“At least it's a man! I knew they shouldn't have given me a woman!” I spit and stand up. “I am ready to...just a second, what other proceedings?”

 

“Your sentencing, no doubt the appeal you are going to launch against that…”

 

“Of course I fucking am! I still maintain that…”

 

“The stripping of your assets, all 80% of it. Then there is you attempting to get me disbarred, and, finally, there is the other rumoured trial.”

 

ANITA

 

“What other trial?” He pauses at the door. “I heard him say something about Abergin. Who is that and what does it have to do with me?”

 

I take my time rolling my shoulders to ease the tension that had settled there since the verdicts. “From what I have heard he is going to use the restitution ordered by the court to pay his attorney to represent Mr Abergin, but that is not the other trial.” I click my briefcase shut and nod at Willis; he gets between me and him. “It has been said that Christopher Emaitch is somewhat following Mr Kinney's lead and suing you.”

 

This time it is us that are looking smug whilst he is silent. And as he is led away, not even his trainers squeak.

 

MEETING ROOM FIVE - FIVE MINUTES LATER

 

PHYLLIS

 

I didn’t think I would ever say this, but I am slightly proud of her. She has taken the judgement on the chin. I had a feeling they wouldn’t find her guilty for the abuse and neglect because of the exact reasons that they gave, but for him to be found guilty of all charges, well that was interesting. I feel sorry for Edward Furksome, he has no idea what is coming his way!

 

“Phyllis?” I look up at her and she looks so relieved. “Why did you ask for me to remain in my residence, in your care? I mean, I could’ve and should’ve been sent to a custody house.”

 

“True, but this way at least you get to put your things in order. I mean, there must be a part of you that thought you would be found not guilty?” She nods. “So am figuring that you haven’t prepared for that eventuality?”

 

“No, I haven’t.” She sighs and then looks out of the window. “Is that for him?” She points at something and I see the van.

 

“Most likely. Oh the statement you want to make, want me to read it first?”

 

“If you could please. I want...” She starts to turn away when we hear raised voices. Looking down, we see people streaming out, shouting at each other then they get into the van! “That was Brian! Oh god, what if something has happened to Vic?! I couldn't bear it if he went without me saying sorry!”

 

“Stay there, I will find out!”  

 

DEBS

 

My heart pounds as the seconds pass. “Look, Big Guy, I know what I have done and I don't deserve this...but please just give me one minute with him. I…” I am startled out of my prayer by my phone buzzing and I scramble to get it. My heart plummets when I see who the text is from...

 

UPMC HOSPITAL - FOUR HOURS LATER

 

OUTSIDE LINDSAY'S SUITE

 

LYNETTE

 

We are still reeling from what has just happened. The Gaggle have been fussing around us, especially me and Frederick. As of an hour ago, we’re parents to a beautiful little girl! I still can't quite wrap my head around this. She's early, but doing fine, and has a lot of curls, Daph said that she will help me with the hair because that is going to be a bit traumatic for all of us!

 

“Now will you let me see the little darling?!” Mami demands of Dad, who is just staring at his phone with happy tears streaming down his face.

 

“Before we show, you tell!” Frederick finally finds his voice.

 

“Oh, alright!” Gladys grumbles, and stops toe tapping. “It was actually Claire that put it in our heads…”

 

“Me? How? What did I say?!”

 

“That she must be having twins as she looks huge. And then I asked Mel about how she was with Gus and if there is a history of twins.” Ceci hands around coffee just as Rene comes in with a bottle of brandy and champagne.

 

“Oh, finally! So what kept you?!” Mami takes them off him and immediately opens the brandy and sets about adding to cups. “Boy, my whiskers damn near fell off through dehydration! Everyone drink; the broffee, yes Kiki and I have been talking, is for the shock the bubbles for the d’awww!”

 

“We will come back to Rene. Finish, Ceci.” Frederick orders with a silly grin.

 

“So Mami asked him to see if he could find out a bit more about her predilection for spreading like Nutella and he did!” Ceci continues toasting her longtime friend. “First, the father is her former attorney and they did it twice, at different orgies…” She goes across to give Mel a hug. “...well off out of there, her name is Helen I believe?” Mel blushes and then nods. “More on her later. So anyhoo, their couplings took place 2 months apart, she got pregnant at the first one.” She lets that hang in the air for a while.

 

“So she lied about how many months she was?!” I gasp. “What did that achieve?! Unless...oh you don’t think she had the baby induced thinking…”

 

“No!” Mami’s strong defence stuns us all. “This was not Lindsay for a change. This was the doctor that saw her and a faulty test.”

 

“The faulty test I get, but the doctor?” Ben frowns.

 

“Turns out…” Rene begins before taking another sip. “...he knew her too. And thought the baby might be his so he…”

 

“Lied.” Ceci finishes.

 

“But how did you know that she was in labour?” Justin is stroking the hand of still in shock Brian.

 

“Well who the hell else do you think was keeping an eye on her whilst Rene was playing detective?” Mami grins, it falls slightly when she looks at Brian properly. “Hey. Hey, Brian, you doing okay?”

 

“Huh.” He frowns and then shakes his head to clear it. “What a day.” Justin leans across and gently takes his phone that was clasped tightly in his hand. “But yeah, am getting there.”

 

“May I read it?” Justin asks, and now we are all confused. “As we were getting into the van, he saw her at the window, he saw Debs. So can I read it?”

 

“Yeah, despite everything, I…” His voice breaks and immediately Del is by his side comforting him.

 

“She didn’t deserve it but I am glad you said it.” Justin whispers with a look of absolute love and pride that fresh tears spring into my eyes.

 

“Honey, what does it say?” Del asks.

 

“Vic is fine. I promise you that.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thank you.