- Text Size +

CHAPTER 84 - THE PLANE ARRIVES AND THREE TIMES IS A GUS

 

BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - MID-MORNING, FOUR DAYS LATER

 

BALCONY

 

GUS

 

She has a kind face. She remembers me of Gamma Mami. “Jussin, you needs to say hello and then tell me who she is!” I whisper.

 

“She, uh, you can call her Nonna. Nonna, this is…”

 

“His Sonny Boy, it could only be him.” She strokes my cheek and it feels nice.

 

“Gus, stay with Nonna, I will be right back, okay?”

 

“Yes, Jussin. Hello, Nonna. As well as calling me Sonny Boy, my Daddy and Jussin, cos I am his Sonny Boy too, call me Gus.”

 

“Yes, he has told me much about you. Especially how much he loves you.”

 

“He has?!” I wriggle with happiness. “I love them both to the moon and back a squillion times, but Daddy has been a bit sad and tired. He slepted all day on Monday, so I have been reading to him. He likes me to read to him.”

 

“Nonna! What are you doing here?!” Daddy comes out with his hair all funny and his eyes real big, but he’s smiling.

 

“I said I would send the plane, so here I am! Now come, we pack!” Nonna says, and Daddy looks so happy, happier than he's been lately. “Gus, you must bring Charlie and Lola with you. Would you like me to help you?”

 

“Bring Charlie and Lola, why?”

 

“You are coming to my house. It is very far away, and I want you to be happy, and bringing Charlie and Lola along with all of your family will make you happy.”

 

“Nonna?” Jussin is doing the staring thing again.

 

“The boys are girding everyone's loins and we shall meet them all at the airport.”

 

Daddy burst out laughing and Jussin is smiling. “Uh, Nonna, I think you mean gathering all together.”

 

“Do I? Oh, that then. So what is girding everyone's loins?”

 

BRIAN

 

“Something a five year old should not hear about; but I will get a fellow octogenarian to explain fully and frankly.” I kiss her cheek, still marveling over the fact she flew over here to fetch us.

 

“Mio Caro, the main house, the room you slept in the last time alone, you two sleep there.”

 

“Thank you, Nonna.” Justin gives her a firm hug. “I love that you have done this.”

 

“And I love you two, now come, we pack!”

 

DEBS’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

DEBS

 

I just stand back quietly as Vic comes in. I point to the lounge then follow him, he takes a seat and for a few minutes neither of us speak.

 

“You never abused him in the sense that your son and his father did, so I am glad that you weren’t found guilty of that. But you did do everything else.”

 

I can feel the tears of shame burning my eyes and choking my throat, so I just nod.

 

“Can you tell me why? Just why you did it? I mean, I know what you said on the stand and all that, but what made you start? How could you, knowing what he would already be going into, just how?”

 

“I don’t know, I just did.” I reply quietly.

 

“Not good enough.” He stands up abruptly. “I wish you luck in prison, try not to open up a…”

 

“I’m sorry to have disappointed you.” I start to cry and am still crying long after he has walked out without another word.

 

LYNETTE'S RESIDENCE - SAME TIME

 

NURSERY

 

LYNETTE

 

She's utterly enchanting, we are totally in love. The Gaggle, Jennifer and Del have proved to be invaluable! Mami and Ceci spent the first couple of nights here stopping Freddie and me from leaping into the room at every cry she made. I chuckle as she rubs her little nose and Freddie takes another picture.

 

“Think I will just get a camera solely for her.” He coos, and melts as she wraps her little hand around his finger. “I will never get enough if this, of the pair of you. Never.”

 

“Good.”

 

“Are we ready?” Dad calls quietly. With a nod from Freddie, I pick her up and we go to the study.

 

BRIAN AND VIC'S HOUSE - THIRTY MINUTES LATER

 

STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

“Sonny Boy! Can you come here a second and bring Nonna with you?!”

 

“Yes, Daddy! We’re just packing Stuart!” Gus calls back.

 

“Which one is Stuart again?” I ask Justin.

 

“The mouse. He named him after Stuart Little.” He chuckles.

 

“Here we are, Dad…” He trails off and stares at the TV screen. “...Aunt Libette, who is that?!”

 

“Hello, Gus.” Lynette smiles. “This is Olivia. She’s…”

 

“Such a pretty colour! Is she yours? Like me and Jenny are Mommy’s?”

 

“Yes, she is.”

 

“Where did you get her from? Mommy told me that Jenny was in her tummy for a long time, I don't remember you being lumpy like that.” We are all at a loss as to how to answer that. “So where then?”

 

“From the hospital, and…”

 

“They let you take her just like that?! Wow! So…” He frowns. “...is she our curren like John and Peter? Because you are Momma’s sister, so…”

 

“Yes. And it is cousin. She’s your cousin, Gus, not curren.” Justin gently corrects him.

 

“Today I am three times lucky!” Gus does his happy wriggle. “I met Nonna, am going on a big plane, and got a cousin! Daddy, can I tell Jenny? Please, Daddy, can I?!”

 

“Yes you can.” He wraps himself around my neck and kisses my cheek lots and lots. “Now say goodbye to them and go and finish packing, okay?”

 

“Yes, Daddy.” He trots to the screen and looks over his shoulder at me. “You need to lift me, Daddy, so I can kiss them goodbye. You will come by when we get back won't you, Aunt Libette?”

 

“Absolutely, Gus, the very next day you are back, we will come by.” She replies, and after three lots of kisses are given he runs back to finish packing.

 

Nonna clears her throat. “Stop thinking why not and think why.” We all frown. “I have been told much of his Momma, and the reason he doesn't ask about her is because he doesn't miss her. Why would he when he has all of you?” She gets up and smiles. “I shall help some more and then fix some dinner. You are much too thin, Brian!”

 

“Nonna knows best, eh, Brian?.” Ronald chuckles.

 

“Of course I do! What a silly question!”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing. Thanks.