- Text Size +

CHAPTER 89 -  MAINTAINING INNOCENCE...GOOD AND DELUDED

 

OLIVE GARDEN, DE CAPIO ESTATE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER

 

BRIAN

 

I look down at my ring then across at Dad. He raises his glass and my throat catches as his ring catches the sun. He always took it off when he came back to visit, which after Rodney died wasn’t as much. I remember the day he told me they were married like it was yesterday. I understood and gave my word to keep quiet…

 

Start of flashback

THE LOFT - TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO

 

BRIAN

 

The phone blaring into life jolts me  awake. I was just about to sink into sleep after an night in Babylon. It wasn’t the greatest, but it got me where I needed to be. I look to the ceiling for a few seconds until it goes to voicemail then wait for it to ring again. I want to scream I am so annoyed, but I will only have to deal with Mama Bear afterwards. “What is it, Michael?” I rap out before he can whine. “I am very tired now, we saw each other less than two hours ago.” There is silence, which is unlike him. “Michael? What’s wrong?! Speak to me!” Still nothing. I leap out of bed, put him on speaker and start to pull on my clothes. “WHERE ARE YOU?!” I scream in the direction of the phone on the bed.

 

“New York, and why the hell are you shouting?!” Uncle Vic bellows back.

 

“Uncle Vic?! What’s wrong?!” I bite back my scream as I stub my toe against the wardrobe.

 

“Wrong? Nothing. Did you get my message?” He chuckles. I sit down to rub away the pain and take steadying breaths. “I thought you would be happy.”

 

“Sorry, Uncle Vic, I thought it was Michael. You know how he can get. I didn’t check the voicemail. So what’s happened that I would be happy about?”

 

“Rodney and I got married! Wait, let me get him!” I am gaping at the phone in shock; I never thought in a million years that he would get married, let alone without Ma! “Are you still there?”

 

“Yeah.” I laugh and make myself comfortable. “So what are we calling you two?”

 

“Mr Vic and Mr Rodney Miller.” Rodney replies, I wait for the rest of the name but he says nothing, so I slowly sit up. “I think he has hung...” Rodney starts to say.

 

“No, I am still here. I am just surprised you took his name, that’s all. And that you got married without her. Remember what she was like when you had the first dinner without her? She is going to…”

 

“Find out when I want to tell her.” Uncle Vic interrupts then sighs. “We wanted to do it our way, without fanfare or fuss. Besides, she doesn’t approve of us. She may say and do the right things, but she doesn’t approve, especially now that we are in the Big Apple. She wanted us…”

 

“Just you, no us.” Rodney interrupts with a trace of bitterness.

 

“Yes, just me to stay in the Pitts. But my life is here now, with Rodney. And deep down she won't accept that. She still thinks I am coming back after…”

 

“Are you fucking kidding me?!” I sigh, and tamp down my annoyance at the truth of his words. “But you're not going to are you? Come back I mean.”

 

“No. This is our home. Our lives. It would take a very compelling reason for me to do that, should Rodney go before me, so I need your word that you will never tell her before I say you can. Neither her nor Michael.”

 

“You have my word. So do I call you Uncle Rodney?”

 

“We are switching to video call!” Rodney declares. I chuckle and wait for them to appear on screen. “He looks tired but definitely not high!” He stares some more then starts to smile. “Ah, you've got your own secrets too, haven't you?”

 

“Yep. So what do I call you, and when can I come up and celebrate properly?”

 

“Uncle Rodney.” He declares. “And what are you telling him you are doing next weekend?”

End of flashback

 

VIC

 

I grab a bottle of white and go join Brian under the olive tree. He is watching Justin sway with Jenny on his hip whilst talking to their Mom. “He’s a natural father, you know, just like you.” I tell him. “Will you have more?”

 

“We’ve not discussed it yet.” He replies before dragging his eyes reluctantly away from his husband.

 

“Will you actually go?” I smile at him and he laughs. “Oh my goodness, the whining phone call I got! Uncle Vic, you have to speak to Brian! He’s got yet another business trip for Kinnetic, but to Portland of all fucking places! He knows how I hate that city; how the memories are bad for me, but he says he has to build up his business. I didn’t think it would be at the expense and feelings of his best friend, after all I have done for him!” I look across around the grounds still in disbelief that we are here. “It took four days to recover, from the hangover I mean.” I snicker. “He loved every throbbing second of the pain, and we got them done to spite the shit.”

 

“Oh I know. I got mine done…” He looks down at his tattoo. “...to impress him. It worked!” He looks at me carefully then nods and smiles. “You are going back, aren’t you?”

 

I sigh. He knows me so well. “Yes. You are safe, you are happy, and I miss the buzz of New York.” He lifts his glass, then leans across to kiss my cheek. “After the verdicts, move him in properly. I can bunk in with Ben, not that he’s going to be using the annex much judging by their closeness.” I nod in the direction of Ben and Granger, they have Jenny with them and they take turns feeding her grapes.

 

“He misses him. So glad they have dogs, but he misses Tyson.” He comments watching Gus play with Luigi’s dog Nero. “So do I get to meet him?” He looks over his glass at me and I almost drop mine in surprise.

 

“Is there nothing you don’t see?!” I grumble with a smile and feel the blush rising. “I have only just met him. He’s positive like me. Name’s Julian. Also widowed. Only just met him, and...let me at least get back there to prepare him for the appraisal and warning that only my son can give!”

 

“Deal.” He smirks, then beams as Gus shrieks, ‘really, you promises?’ and runs inside.

 

“What’s that about?” Justin asks, coming up with a bowl of something. “Mami sent me over with this.” He hands him the bowl with tasty looking ribs inside. “Her take on the Tuscan ribs that we had the first time we came. She’s put a kick in it. You must finish them all, or…” He trails off as Brian cleans one to the bone in one bite/suck movement. He chews slowly, his eyes never leaving Justin’s face, which is growing pinker and he seems to have lost the ability to blink, so fixed is his stare. When Brian licks his lips, I hear Justin swallow. “Nice, was it?”

 

“Very nice. Wanna try one?” He husks...that is definitely husking!

 

“So, are there anymore?” I interrupt this trip down Letusfuck Avenue! They slowly turn to face me, confusion on Justin’s face. “Anymore secrets?”

 

“What do you mean, secrets?” Justin drains Brian’s glass and glares him into putting the rib back down.

 

“Rodney said that Brian had his own secrets when we told him we got married. He told us some, but are there any more?.” I demand, and he beams. “There are?! You know, don’t you?!”

 

“Yep.” Justin giggles and pours himself a glass before topping up ours. “Can I tell him?” Nodding from Brian with a self-satisfied smirk. “Brian had a boyfriend.”

 

“Brian had a what?!” Emmett exclaims and dashes over. “You had a boyfriend?! A for real boyfriend?!”

 

“Think boyfriend is over egging it a bit, Tigger. No bodily fluids were exchanged. I would say more of a wingman.” Now everyone is crowding around just gaping at the pair of them.

 

“So when you say boyfriend, you mean boy space friend?” Mel asks carefully.

 

“Yep.” Justin giggles. “And the best bit was…”

 

“Brandon!” Ben exclaims; eliciting wider grins from them and pearl-clutching from Emmett.

 

“Oh, you have got to be joking?!” Mel squeals. “So the fuck-bet thing was a lie, you don’t lie!”

 

“I didn’t come up with that, he did. Ergo, I didn’t lie.” He sobers a little. “I was in the office in Babylon, having just had him thrown out but going through treatment at the same time. He was really pissed off, stormed into the office, no idea how he got passed security. But he found me puking. Turns out that his dad had cancer and he recognised the pills, so he cleaned me up and got me home. Stayed on the sofa, and from there a friendship was born.”

 

“Come on, people, let us go the pool. Gus wants to swim!” Nonna declares, and as one we follow her to the other side of the house.

 

EMMETT

 

That man will never cease to surprise me! We were all eye rolling when we heard about the bet, but I always had my suspicions there was more to it than that.

 

“Coming in for a dip, babe?” Drew wraps an arm around me and kisses my ear.

 

“Not yet, but around midnight I think I could be persuaded.” I whisper back.

 

“Deal.” He grins.

 

“Drew, you help Luigi?!” Nonna calls out as she takes Jenny off Granger, who just smiles. “The floats need to be blown up, I’ll go change this one. Gus and Mami are bringing them.”

 

“Sure, Nonna!” He calls back and heads to the other side of the pool.

 

I catch the eye of Brian and beckon him over. He brings Justin with him. “So what happened to Brandon?”

 

“Yes, good question!” Mel exclaims, and we all look at the pair of them. “Well?”

 

“He runs Babylon.” Justin answers, looking longingly at the pool.

 

“Jesus, Bri!” Ted exclaims shaking his head. “I knew that someone was helping you, but would never have guessed him!”

 

“Mr Taylor-Kinney…” Justin eyes Brian lustily. “I was wondering…”

 

“Not a hope, we have designs on that!” I declare.

 

“It is our wedding day and night!” Justin objects.

 

“Nobody is doing anything in the pool!” Del orders. “Apart from swim in it with the appropriate attire!” She bursts out laughing at the huffing. “Oh my, how many of you had designs on that?! Come on, show of hands.” I look around then watch her face flush. “Carl, put your hand down!”

 

“Daddy, I found them!” Gus calls out, coming back in Mami’s arms. “Here, Uncle Luigi!” He waves pink things at him and Luigi, who takes them and hands one to Drew.

 

“Now. You blow them good, they must be large and firm!” Nonna orders as she comes back with a giggling Jenny.

 

“Yes, Nonna.” They chorus, and set about pumping them up.

 

“Oh, let’s make this interesting!” Mami laughs. “First one to get it up wins a prize to be determined! So split into teams, Team Luigi vs Team Drew. Newlyweds on opposing sides, that way you both win!”

 

“Let me get another pump!” Luigi runs inside, soon he and Drew are opposite each other with the cheerleaders yelling and whooping encouragement.

 

Now I am not one to brag, but I know my man has got this. Then I see what shape the floats are beginning to form. Surely not?! Then I look across at Mami, who has stopped cheering and is now gaping.

 

“Uh, boys!” She calls out. “Defl…”

 

“Daddy, they’re sausage shaped!” Gus giggles and points next to Vic. Now everyone is quiet and staring. “With cushions!”

 

“Cushions?” Nonna frowns. She steps closer to a mortified Luigi, and takes in the full picture.

 

“See, Nonna, at the top two big bally cushions!”

 

“Bally...is that a…” Nonna trails off then looks at a puce faced Drew. “Gus, where did you find these?”

 

“In Papa’s suitcase, can we play with them now?”

 

I bite back my laugh at the Scream-esque expression Justin has; it’s Ems to the rescue. “Uh, am afraid not, Gus, looks like that there is a puncture in Uncle Drew’s one.” I call back and Drew starts to deflate it.

 

“Awww, how’d it get a hole? Did someone bang it Papa?”

 

“Most likely, and I think the same is for Uncle Luigi’s.” Brian kneels in front of Gus to block his view of the efforts to get them deflated quickly. “So will you be okay just playing with the other pool toys instead?”

 

“Yes, Daddy, will you get Papa another set of big bally sausages?”

 

“Yes, now go with Grampy Vic and he can put some more cream on before you get in, okay?” He nods enthusiastically and drags Vic inside. Brian stands and slowly turns to face Justin. “After you.”

 

Without a word Justin walks around back to the front of the house.

 

JUSTIN

 

I cringe at the laughter that follows our departure, then turn to face him.

 

“I...” He silences me with a long and passionate kiss, the pressing against my abdomen and the kneading of my ass tells me he is not remotely mad. When he lifts his head, he merely looks down at me, his eyes filled with laughter. “...I don’t think it would be possible to render Mami speechless. Seems inflatable cocks are the way to do it!”

 

“Score one for us. So why did you pack them?” He keeps kneading.

 

“To use in the pool.” I groan and he pauses. “I bought two boxes of them and discovered that they can take a surprising amount of weight.” My face is flaming, he resumes kneading.

 

“Where and how did you test their efficacy?”

 

“In the pool in the basement just before I sent it to work.” I pant.

 

“Ah yes, your pool. We’re surprising them with that, right?” He starts to grind.

 

“Mmmm. You remember when we did it in the bath and I banged my head?” He nods and kneads. “I...mmmm...well I tried one in the shallow end to see of it could take my weight without sinking too far down, then put the wave machine on, you know to recreate the force of a pounding into our hot tight asses.”

 

He swallows, and like him, I am taken back to our first raw night together and slip my hand between our bodies.

 

“Hard and fast, Tigger!” He growls.

 

“Yes, Bear!” I moan, and pull him in for the first of many tongue fucking kisses of the day and night.

 

ALLEGHENY COURTHOUSE - FIVE DAYS AFTER WEDDING

 

COURTROOM ONE

 

JOAN

 

I take my seat next to Malcolm Hope, my attorney, and look sneeringly at the offspring I begat. I am furious that not one of them has come to visit me since God freed me from my bondage. Or it seems, judging by the suntans and happy expressions, during.

 

“All rise!” A woman I vaguely remember orders, and I sigh crossly.

 

“What is the problem with your client?”

 

“Nothing. Sorry, Miss Loveless…” He begins

 

“Nothing?! Nothing you say? I have just come out of a coma!” I snarl, and glare in their direction. “What do you have to say to that? God spared my life because he believes in my innocence!”

 

“Silence!” This loveless woman snaps before turning to someone coughing behind her. “Yes, it’s okay for him to come in. Let’s get this done so the family can finally close this chapter of their lives.”

 

The judge comes in and sits down. “Good morning, Mrs Kinney, do you remember me?”

 

“Vaguely. I have…”

 

“Yes, I am aware of your health issues, a remarkable recovery.”

 

“Yes, God works in strange ways, his miracles to perform.” I turn at the snickering of her children before looking back at the judge. “Aren’t you going to correct that misbehaviour?”

 

“No, and you will address me as Your Honour or Judge Balsam when you are in court!” I am taken aback by his tone but nod, as I am, if nothing, respectful of authority. “So, Mrs Kinney, has what is happening today been explained to you?”

 

“I take it this is where they give me an apology and you place it on whatever file? Then I take my leave and never have to see them again; but I do wish to be provided for.”

 

“Provided for?” Hope frowns. “Excuse me, Mrs Kinney, you were told that a verdict has been reached and you were found guilty on all charges…”

 

“Yes but I don’t believe it, if it were true I would still be in purgatory. You see God woke me to...”

 

“PRISONER JOAN KINNEY, GET OUT OF BED!” A voice bellows, and I scramble to my feet jolted out of my nightmare straight into my daymare.

 

“Sorry, I have a headache. I need…”

 

“To follow me and be quiet. You aren’t the only one with a headache!” I obey the guard. “You have a visitor.”

 

I hope and pray, as I have hoped and prayed for the last three days, that it is Mr Hope to say they have made a terrible mistake. As I make my way into the room, my heart sinks, for there sitting smiling is Arthur.

 

“Mr Fitzgerald.” I state as I sit down.

 

“Mrs Kinney, I am here to represent Claire and Brian. This is for you.” He slides across an envelope. I open it and find a check for $30,000 and an official looking letter. “The $30,000 is broken down as follows, $25,000 for the bricks and mortar and the rest for everything else. They wanted a quick sale. It is a lot more than the thirty pieces of silver your fellow Judas received, but should you survive this, at least you can set...”

 

My house?! You had no right to sell it!”

 

“The house was not in your name, it was in Claire’s at your insistence, remember? Now, as I was saying, if you survive your…”

 

“Survive? I don’t…”

 

“Yes, survive and set up elsewhere. Should you not; as per the instructions of your will, the estate will be divided between your grandchildren, who have instructed me, as their father and attorney, to donate it to charitable causes.” He stands up and pulls on his coat. “They, like their Mother and Uncle, want nothing to do with or from you.”

 

“What is this?” I tap the letter; his smile gets wider.

 

“The excommunication order from your Church. They want nothing to do with you either.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thanks.