- Text Size +

CHAPTER 77 - SURPRISE SURPRISE...A WISH AND THE FINAL KISS GOODNIGHT

 

BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE  - MORNING, TWO DAYS LATER

 

BALCONY

 

BRIAN

 

His mouth is open with shock but no sound is coming out.

 

“Say something.” I prompt.

 

“Really?! Really?!” My Sonny Boy squeals. “Today!”

 

“Yes, Sonny Boy, your birthday is today and we are throwing you a party, so you get to pick what we eat later.”

 

“How’d I forgot my birthday? Daddy, Jussin, why didn’t you remembiminded me?!” He tries to look cross but is smiling too much.

 

“We are very sorry to have not told you earlier, Sonny Boy.” I grin at him.

 

“Yes, very sorry.” Justin giggles before sitting down and picking up the cookbook. “So, Sonny Boy, how many courses do you want?”

 

“Courses, what do you mean? Like in class? I have my numbers, my reading, my…”

 

“Not quite, come and sit next to me.” He clambers up and I take a seat on Gus’s other side. “I mean, how many parts shall we eat? So there the first part called the starter be…”

 

“Because you starts with it, Jussin?”

 

“Exactly! Very clever boy.” I kiss the top of his head and he wiggles into my side and grins up at me. “Then, there is the main. Do you think you can tell me what that means?”

 

“Your big dinner? The one that fills you most, Daddy?”

 

“Yep. Then there is your sweet.”

 

“Thank you, Daddy! But why am I?”

 

“Why are you what?”

 

“Sweet.”

 

Justin pats down the cowlick wafting in the breeze. “You are sweet, Gus, because you are, but what Daddy means is the third course is called the Sweet because it is.”

 

“Is what?” He asks impishly.

 

“Ooh you little Dickens!” I tickle him and he squirms away. “So, are we doing two or three courses?”

 

“Three and we must have lots of vegetables for your strengths. You and Jussin need to be strong for your hugging matches, don’t you?”

 

“Hugging matches?” I look at Justin and he smiles.

 

“Yes, Daddy, you and Jussin are always hugging, lots, and sometimes when you don’t think people can see, you hug and kiss. It’s nice that you hug.”

 

“Yeah, it is very nice when we hug.” I kiss the top of his head again. “So what are we going to eat? It can't just be vegetables.” He frowns and looks at the cookbook. “Do you want Jussin to choose for you?”

 

“Please, Daddy. Would you mind, Jussin?”

 

“Of course not, Gus, it would be my pleasure.”

 

“Thanks, Justin. I shall hug you later for that. So this gives us more time, Sonny Boy, to discuss clowns.”

 

“Clowns, Daddy? Why clowns?”

 

“Where are we going to put them…” I wink at a confused Justin and stamp my foot. “...I have a bit of cramp. Yes the clowns, the bouncy castle and the bubble machine.”

 

“Where is all of this Daddy?!” He looks around excitedly; then stops and looks worried. “But, Daddy, what about Jenny, Peter and John…?”

 

“What about us, Gus?!” Peter calls up coming out from the room under the stairs.

 

“When did they get here?!” Justin gapes at me, rushing down to greet them.

 

“When you were bathing him!” I call down and feel a little choked as Gus tries to go carefully but quickly down the stairs with the biggest smile on his face. He is twirled around by John and then put on his hip. “Okay, guys, you can come out now!” I bellow, and from my next door neighbours’ comes everyone else.

 

“Mommy! Uncle Ben! Grandpas! Aunt Libette!” Gus squeals and wriggles down to run to them. “So happy, Daddy! So happy!”

 

“How the hell did you keep that from me?!” Justin mock demands while kissing my neck. “I shall have to punish you severely for that.”

 

“I look forward to it. I always wanted a clown party, but they…” I trail off and he nods in understanding. “...think Sonny Boy will let me share?”

 

“Oh, I am certain of it.” He whispers, brushing away a tear from his cheek. “Come on, Bear, let's give you and our boy an unforgettable party!”

 

ALLEGHENY COURTHOUSE - THIRTY MINUTES LATER

 

PHYLLIS

 

I put my head in my hands and pray as the door knocks. “Enter. Ah, Mrs Carson-O’Donaghue and Arthur, thank you for coming in at such short notice. Please take a seat.”

 

“Will this take long? We have a family event to attend.” She replies coolly.

 

“No. I was wondering if you have a memory of Jack Zyniaf?” She starts to shake her head but then pauses and nods slowly. “Do you know…”

 

ROBBI

 

“About the kiss? Yes, I knew about it. The whole school knew about it. The only thing we never found out was who he kissed. He just said it was a boy at another school...” Her jaw drops. “What? Why are you asking about him?”

 

“A boy at another school? Are you sure that was what he said?”

 

“Of course I am sure. It created quite a scandal, especially as he was one of the top jocks at the time. He lost a lot of friends but he and Square...I mean, Brian, seemed to get on just…” I pause and my eyes widen. “...no? Brian, it was Brian he kissed?!”

 

“Not quite, the other way around. According to Miss Grassi, it was him who kissed Jack.”

 

“So why didn’t he just say that? Why would he…”

 

“That’s what I’d like to know if only I could find him!” She sighs in frustration.

 

“If you find him are you going to bring him to court?” Arthur looks puzzled. “If so, why?”

 

“Yes, and I am not telling you any more. Go enjoy your day. You’d think with a name like that he’d be easy to find!” She grumps, and then clicks her screen back on.

 

“Ah, there is a very good reason for that…” I stay her hand. “...may I drive?”

 

BRIAN AND VIC’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING

 

GARDEN

 

JUSTIN

 

I laugh as Gus tries to keep the hot dog away from Tyson’s hungry jaws and fails. I hand him another then help him to stand on the chair while Riley leads Tyson away.

 

“Thank you, Jussin! He is so greedy, Tyson is!” He giggles as I wipe his face, being careful not to smudge off the tiger he has just had painted on. “I am having such a great time, Jussin and I have made a decision.”

 

“You have? What’s that?”

 

“We need to get Daddy.” He looks so earnest that I signal Brian immediately and we head to a quiet part of the garden.

 

“Sonny Boy, is everything alright? Is…”

 

“Everything is wonnerful, Daddy, and what would make it more wonnerful is if you and Jussin stayed together forever. Do...do you think you could do that?”

 

“Forever?” Brian echoes. “That’s an awful long time.”

 

“Yes, Daddy. Don’t you see? You are like Tyson and Tyra…”

 

“How’s that, Gus?” I stroke my little boy’s hair.

 

“You found each other, you’re the roar. A super duper thing.” Brian bends down and kisses the top of his head so I do the same. “Yes, the roar...ooh cake!” He squeals as Mom brings it out. “Can I go?! Daddy? Jussin? Can I?!”

 

“Yes. Yes you can, and we promise, Sonny Boy.”

 

“Good.” He grins and starts to run to Mom, then stops and trots back. “If you need to do bubble kisses, I will make sure nobody is watching.”

 

“No, Sonny Boy, we want them to see now.” I reply, then loop my arms over Brian’s neck and pull him down for a scorching kiss. Five minutes later, we pull apart and find Gus covering Jenny’s eyes and his own. “Maybe not that much of a bubble kiss…” I mutter blushing.

 

“You sexy little twit! We will reconvene that later!” Brian laughs, and leads me back to the party.

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE - THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

COURTROOM ONE

 

PHYLLIS

 

These last two days have been a revelation, and all good ones! Well, for Brian Kinney, not so much for anyone else! As the jury settles down, Courtney signals that the defendants be brought in; then just as he relaxes into the seat calls for us to rise.

 

I take a good look at him; he looks grey and seems to be almost bent double. There are smirks as he almost cries as he is forced to remain standing as Courtney and Norace take their time getting settled. The echo of the thump as he collapses back in his seat seconds later, reverberates around the room.

 

“Defence for Deborah Jane Grassi to proceed.” Norace orders with a small smile; while Arthur and Anita look perplexed but unruffled.

 

“I call to the stand, Deborah Jane Grassi.” I watch him carefully but he doesn’t look at her. In fact, he just seems to be concentrating on sitting upright, as once again Anita jabs him in his side. I wait for her to settle down, and with a deep sigh she locks eyes with me. “I understand that you wish to make a statement?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“For what purpose?”

 

“To retract my guilty plea…”

 

“What the hell?!” Is exclaimed, but order is soon restored.

 

“And you want to replace it with what?” I cross my fingers.

 

“Just plain old fashioned guilty.” There is stunned silence and Brian and Justin exchange looks. Her son stiffens and stares at her. “I wholly and completely admit my guilt and my part in the abuse that he suffered because of what I said to his father.”

 

“Anything else?” I am almost cutting my circulation off, so tightly they are crossed.

 

“I will accept whatever punishment is deemed fit by the courts, and I would request that the restraining order be reinstated…”

 

“Silence!” Norace bellows as the mutters of disbelief grow louder. “One more utterance that is not the defendant and I will clear the court!” The silence is instant. “Miss Grassi, are you aware of what you are saying?”

 

“Yes. I have no other mitigating circumstances other than I did it because I could, so I did for a while until he started to break his bones. Those I could not patch up.” There is an outraged hiss, and I will Norace to remain calm. “So I stopped.”

 

“I see. Is there anything else?” Norace demands, and she shakes her head.

 

“No further question. Your witness.”

 

“No questions.” Arthur replies.

 

“I have a question.” Anita stands, and again I watch him, he is as still as a statue. “Why have you changed your plea?”

 

The silence is stifling as she formulates her answer.

 

“Because I should.” She looks across at Brian. “I won't apologise, because you rightly won't believe me, but know this: you are the best thing that never happened to me, and he is the worst thing that ever happened to me.”

 

For a few long seconds, all eyes are trained on Mother and son before he nods then turns away, and it is at that moment I know that for her it is over. Now time to nail this cowardly bully!

 

“Counsel, any further questions?” Norace asks Anita, and she answers by returning to her seat. He starts to whisper fiercely, but she merely shrugs. “Are there any more witnesses?”

 

“Yes, I call to the stand, Ironman Chris Emaitch.”

 

BRIAN

 

“Arthur, what is going on?!” I try to keep the panic out of my voice.

 

“Brian, the end is near, now just relax and enjoy the beginning of your freedom.”

 

I watch the stand as he gets comfortable and is sworn in. She turns to the court and locks onto Mich...Mr Grassi, who shifts as much as his battered body can under her gaze. When Robbi told me what he had been through, and how long it took him to ace his tests; all I could think was good!

 

“Mr. Emaitch, can you tell the court if you recognise either the defendants or plaintiff.”

 

“All three.” He replies and holds my gaze.

 

“Because of the press coverage, because you are an Ironman or another reason?”

 

“Another reason.” Again he continues to stare.

 

“And that would be?”

 

“I went to school with the defendant and the plaintiff.” Now I am gawking at him and I can see him doing the same. “You don't remember me, do you?” He calls out with a smile and I shake my head, but it is when he turns to face him it falls off his face. “But you should remember me...after all I suspect I was the very first victim of your jealousy.”

 

“Mr Emaitch, can you tell the court your official name?” Her attorney is once again crossing her fingers.

 

“Christopher Mark Hobbs. I amalgamated sounds of the initials of my middle and last name to get my surname, thought it sounded cool.” There is a ripple of laughter but I still have no clue as to who this guy is!

 

“Is that the name you were born with?”

 

“No. My birth name is Jack Zyniaf.” It takes a few seconds for it to register and my jaw drops and his eyes bulge out of his head. “Hey, Brian, does that kit still fit?”

 

“Could you explain to the court why this warrants that reaction?”

 

I look across at them both. He is just staring at Jack, and she is staring at her son with a look I have never seen before.

 

“Sure. Brian and I fooled around in school when we were looking for his gym kit, and he saw. He told everyone in school that he saw me with a boy, but what he didn't say is who the boy was. I got the shit kicked out of me and was shunned for a while until we moved for my scholarship. My folks thought it would be best if I changed my name - Zyniaf being a little unusual - so I did.”

 

“Why didn't you say who the boy was? You know, to take the pressure off of you.” She asks, and Arthur’s smile gets wider.

 

“And add to his problems? I mean, apart from having a jealous harpy for a supposedly best friend.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Because we all knew how handy his old man was. Like everyone else, I didn't want to make the situation worse. Besides, I am a better boxer, he has never beaten me.” He grins then winks. “I am the only kid in school to have literally kicked and kissed his ass!” The judge is smiling at the laughter; then gently taps his gavel, and slowly it goes quiet. “Mr Taylor is a very lucky man.”

 

“He is indeed, but back to your testimony. How do you know it was Mr Grassi that told the school?”

 

“It had to be him, it was only the three of us in the school, and I saw him running away crying.”

 

“Why not tell Mr Kinney that you saw him?”

 

“Because he would've gone after him, and besides, I was enjoying myself.”

 

“Was that the only time you and Mr Kinney were intimate?”

 

“No.” The growl from him is like a soothing balm on my heart, mind and soul. “I got a bit of a beating and he patched me up. Said he learned from his mother...some mother.” He scoffs.

 

“At least he learned a good thing, unlike her birth son. And that was the last time? And if you don't mind, was it just a kiss?”

 

“Yes and yes.”

 

“You say he patched you up, where was this?”

 

“My bedroom. He helped me home, my folks were out.”

 

Memories start to flood back and I turn to look at Justin. “I’m the lucky one.” I whisper and he squeezes my hand.

 

“We both are.”

 

“Mr Kinney, Mr Taylor, you need to listen to the witness’s testimony.” The judge orders. We nod quickly and mouth apologies. “Accepted. The witness will continue.”

 

“As I was saying, he said that American football was not the only thing that I was better at than him.”

 

“And that was?”

 

“Kissing. He said that the one time they did, there was way too much tongue for a peck on the lips.”

 

I jab Justin in the ribs at his snorting giggle,

 

“Who is him?”

 

“Grassi.”

 

“No further questions. Your witness.”

 

ARTHUR

 

Anita, much to his horror, shakes her head, so I rise and walk to the stand. “So, which do you prefer, Christopher or Jack.”

 

“Christopher professionally, and Jack personally...so in this case, Jack.”

 

“Jack, are you gay?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Are you out?”

 

“I am now.”

 

“Thank you. You may stand down.” I wait for him to return to his teammates with an incredulous Brian watching him every step of the way. “Your Honour, may we approach?”

 

“Yes.”

 

Norace covers his mic and looks at the three of us. “Recess, closing arguments and go to verdict?”

 

“Yeah.” I reply, and take one more look at a gurning Michael Grassi. “No matter what the verdict is, they are forever destroyed. Especially him.”

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive if reviewing.