- Text Size +

CHAPTER 85 - VIEW FROM A SISTER AND TWO PRISONERS

 

BRIAN AND VIC’S STUDY

 

BRIAN

 

She trots out muttering in Italian, and I look down at myself, then at Justin, who nods with a small smile. “How much do I need to put back on?”

 

“About 10 pounds.” He answers. “I didn’t want to add to your burden by pointing it out, but I would like your butt back, please.”

 

“My butt does not weigh 10 pounds!” I object, looking at it then him again.

 

“No, but I love the thrusting power the additional weight will give you. Remember how that looked, me squirming and writhing as you…”

 

“Ahem, still here!” Ronald exclaims from his side of the video call in his study, and we both go red.

 

“So the elephant in the room question is…” Frederick begins, and we all nod. “...do we tell Gus now or wait until he’s older so he understands?”

 

“Definitely wait until he’s older.” Justin states firmly. “Like Nonna says, he doesn’t miss her, and she most certainly doesn’t miss him. Why cause unnecessary hurt or confusion? He has accepted her as his curren…” He smiles slightly. “...when the time comes, just say something like she did a nice thing for her sister, even if she didn’t.”

 

“Let me take her up and you tell him the truth.” Ronald orders, taking Olivia from Lynette with a nod at Frederick, it is just Lynette, Justin and I.

 

I close the door and brace myself. “What truth?” I groan.

 

“She never really wanted Gus, she loved the idea of it…”

 

“Motherhood?” I sit down and Justin rubs the back of my neck, I squeeze his hand between my neck and shoulders.

 

“No, pissing Mel off. And it helped that you liked to piss her of too, didn't it?” I give a wry smile. “Exactly. But when Gus arrived, the reality of her situation bit her in the ass, as you did the one thing she never thought you would do, as did Mel.”

 

“Fell in love with him on sight. And...” Justin chuckles quietly and I nod. “...then do anything she wanted where he was concerned. Then along came Kinnetic and all that lovely money, but then you got sick…”

 

“I got sick? What does me getting sick have to do with it?” I sigh, not quite understanding.

 

“Because it gave you perspective. And you did the next thing she never thought you would do: you grew up.” Lynette explains. “You became the father that she didn't want, a responsible one. Oh, you should've heard her bitch and moan when you demanded your rights back, whether they went to Canada or not. And then, of course, there was the Jenny conundrum. I think that was the turning point for her, when you said no.”

 

“I wasn't prepared to go through that again, regardless of which of them was the mother. Too painful.”

 

“Which is why she argued for Michael so strongly, citing he would give them the least trouble, but in reality she meant the best access.”

 

“To?” Justin asks.

 

“Me. I get it now.” I scrub my face. “She banked on the fact that I would help out with Jenny, and moving to Canada also solved the peskiness that was Michael's visitations.”

 

“Precisely.” Lynette smiles as the monitor crackles slightly. “And then she was turned into the one thing she accused me of being: a drudge. With Mel being their only source of income, she got bored. And when a WASP gets bored…”

 

“They fuck around?” Justin suggests.

 

“Very delicately put.” Lynette laughs.

 

“So where is she now?” I ask. “Has she been discharged? Did she even…”

 

“She’s on her way to West Virginia. She’s going to be set for a while, and for once I think her money seeking missile is on target.”

 

“She’s going after the doctor who lied?” I sigh.

 

“Yes. And if he has any sense he will settle out of court. She could, and will, ruin him.”

 

“He could argue that he went on the strength of what she told him.” Justin argues.

 

“No, he would’ve had to have taken another test. Believe me, I know the pain of a faulty test.”

 

“Brian! Justin! Come and show me where things are in this kitchen!” Nonna shouts through the door.

 

“Nonna has spoken.” Justin titters.

 

“Indeed she has. We will see you guys when you get back. I am so looking forward to the kids meeting Olivia in person.”

 

“So are we. Bye, Lynette. Take care.” I call out then switch off the screen. “I never thought I would ever say this but I can’t wait to get the fuck out of here.”

 

“Me neither.” Justin sighs into my hair. “I just want to take care of you.”

 

SCI HUNTINGDON - THE NEXT DAY

 

VISITOR’S ROOM

 

MICHAEL

 

When they said I had a visitor, I was so pleased, now I am less so. It is not Brian, not even Uncle Vic. No, my visitor is my traitorous mother!

 

“What are you doing here? Come to gloat? You must be so comfortable in your own bed at home!”

 

“I am, thanks. Are all your affairs in order? By which I mean are you prepared to be returned here after the sentencing?”

 

“I have spoken to my male attorney, you females are so contrary and useless in situations that require thought, and he is already launching an appeal and…”

 

“You can’t launch an appeal before you are sentenced.” She cuts across me and I flush, she snickers and shakes her head. “Still lying I see. Have you prepared your statement? Or was what you said on the stand, you remember, no apologies no regrets, going to be your last parting shot?” I fold my arms. “So what are you going to do? I mean, when you get out of wherever they put you?”

 

“I am a resourceful man as…”

 

“I understand that Christopher Emaitch is coming for that bony ass of yours too. You are free falling, Michael. You have nothing. Nobody. Vic came around to ask why I did what I did. I said it was because I could, but in reality it was because of what they said.”

 

“And what’s that?” I yawn hugely.

 

“Because of the one time I hit you. Do you remember it?”

 

“Which time?” I inspect my nails...I know how much this annoys her, but she doesn’t react.

 

“When you told me about you punching Brian. I was so angry that you hurt that boy for wanting to do the one thing you weren’t: pleasing me. I always had to be at your beck and call.” She looks around. “They don’t seem too bad in here. I have been reading up. No murderers or rapists, so your life and ass are safe, unless, of course, you do what you do best and badly…” I am surprised when she stands up, she’s been here for less than ten minutes. “...you open up a mouth. Goodbye, Michael, I hope you find happiness.”

 

“Uh, where are you going? I have some things I want to say to you!”

 

“Which I have no desire to listen to.” She puts on her coat. “I may be going to jail, but the thing that is keeping me going is the fact that when I get out there will be no you.” She drops an envelope onto the table.

 

“And what is this?” I demand, and start to open it.

 

“A restraining order. Phyllis drew it up. It kicks in whenever you get out. You can’t contact me in any shape, way, or form for five years. You are truly alone.”

 

ARTHUR’S OFFICE - AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

We were all set to fly out, but then Arthur called. You could’ve knocked me down with a feather as to why.

 

“How long?” I fiddle with my watch, unaccustomed to this nervousness.

 

“Another few minutes and he will be here.”

 

“Any idea why?” Justin asks, stilling my flicking fingers.

 

“We were as surprised as everyone when the call came.” Arthur is pacing but animated, and I don’t know why but I join him. “We knew there would be fall out, but this? Well this is a bolt from the…” He is stopped by a soft knocking on the door. “Come in!”

 

I am surprised to see both their attorneys here. “Uh Arthur…”

 

“Meet my secondary and third.” He beams. “Formally, Phyllis Wrench and Anita Carter, this is Brian Kinney and his fiance, Justin Taylor.”

 

“Pleased to...secondary and third?” Justin questions.

 

“We’re the dream team that is hopefully going to make the courts see the sense they didn’t for Memphis Abergin.” Phyllis replies with a smile. “And thank you. For the text. She really appreciated it.”

 

“You’re welcome.” I return, and am about to ask how Debs is when the door knocks again.

 

“Come!” Arthur orders, and the door opens bringing a large prison guard and a young looking man. “Thanks, Willis.”

 

“No problem, happy to bring this one.” Willis smiles and with a nod leaves.

 

“Brian, Justin, this is Memphis Abergin.” Arthur introduces us and I sit down so fast that I land on the floor. Phyllis and Anita help me up. “You okay, Brian?”

 

“Yeah. Jesus, how old are you?” I stare at the young man.

 

“Twenty three. It started when I was eleven.” Memphis replies. “Do we start now?”

 

“Yes.” Phyllis gestures to Justin and I. “Do you want them to leave?”

 

“No. I want my heros to stay.” Memphis replies. “If it wasn’t for you two, I wouldn’t have the courage to do this. I am not to blame, I am finally defending myself. But this time with words and the truth.”

 


Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.