- Text Size +

CHAPTER 13 - BEAUTIFUL MUSIC, MUD GLORIOUS MUD AND UGLY ON THE INSIDE TOO


OPERA HOUSE ROOF


BRIAN


Oh for the love of God! I snatch the tissue from him and wipe my eyes. That has to be the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard. After Romanza, he played me a piece he wrote. “Yeah, so totally deserved, each Gramophone award you won.” He sits next to me, beaming with pride. I lift my arm and he slides into my side. “He cheated. Found him with him in our bed. I hadn’t even slept in it yet.”


“Shitkicker.” He declares.


“To say the least. I burned it and sent him the ashes.”


“Oh cool. I wouldn’t have burned it. I would’ve just chopped it up and sent that.”


“So what happened?”


“Nothing. Nothing ever happens. Daph takes one sniff and is like nah buddy, blood hungry. And every time she is right.”


“I’m flattered.” He looks up at me and then grins.


“Yeah, she just said jump him.”


“Really? Cynthia said the same thing. So where are they?”


“Who? Oh, the cats. Come on.” He gets up and holds out his hand. I allow him to lead me down to the room just off the kitchen.


“Oh for goodness sake.” I whisper as I look at the most beautiful cats I have ever seen. He clicks his tongue and they start to wake up. “Jesus, look at those claws!”


“They’re a bit of hard work, as they are very intelligent and get bored easily and…”


“We have an hour. Want to go take them for a walk?”


“A walk?” He frowns.


“Yeah. Come on, I have an idea.”


Twenty minutes later, we’re in the forest and they are charging around all over the place. “I can’t believe I never thought of this!” He shouts as he runs after them. “They’re going bonkers!”


“Can you keep them here?!” I yell after him. “Going to get the boys!”


“Okay! Will try my best!” He shouts back.


VIC AND DEBS’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


I am not sure what is going on with the two of them, but they haven’t spoken to me since I went upstairs and I’m sick of it!


“What is going on with you two?”


“What do you mean?” Ma replies coldly.


“You and Vic haven’t spoken to me all day.”


“Who and me?” She demands.


Uncle Vic and you haven’t spoken to me all day. I want to know why.”


“We don’t want to speak to you. Now go away. You are going to have a few busy days.”


“Why?”


“Because you are going to be house hunting and finding a job. We don’t like snakes and you are a snake!”


“Oh for heaven sake! Again, with the threatening and melodrama! I am going to go and get changed and you two need to stop behaving like children! I’m meeting Ems in…”


“Ooh he’s Ems, is he? He will be so thrilled!”


“He’s always Ems! He’s one of my dearest friends. Now excuse me, I have better things to do than deal with you!”


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


BATHROOM


BRIAN


“Stop moving!” I order, laughing.


“Hurry up! I’m hardening up and getting cold!” He grumps.


“How the hell did you end up in the mud?!” I guffaw.


“They leapt over as cats do, and I ran as humans do, and got stuck and then ended up face down and that’s when you found me! It’s not that funny!” He pouts and tries to slick off some of the mud before it hardens some more.


“Okay, let me get this off you.” I clear my throat hard and start to undress a mud covered Justin, who has every right to be indignant, especially since the cats and dogs don’t look remotely sorry for his current malaise.


“I hate them.” He grumbles as he allows me to try to take off his rapidly drying clothes.


“Test the water. And no you don’t.”


“Oh for fuck sake!” He exclaims as he looks at his face in the mirror. “Look at me; I look ridiculous!”


“You will be rinsed off and look wonderful soon enough. Now test the water.” I order again.


“It’s fine.” He kvetches and looks down at himself. “Three thousand dollars. This outfit cost me three thousand dollars.”


“They’re called dry cleaners. It will be fine.” I soothe, but judging by the head turning and glaring, he’s not convinced.


Ten minutes later, he’s trying to take the shampoo bottle off me. “How can I buy it if I don’t know what it’s called?!”


“You can see it afterwards! Let me get you clean, for crying out loud!  It’s like trying to wash an eel!”


“Does this come with a conditioner?”


“Yes! Now stop wriggling!”


EMMETT’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER

 

EMMETT

 

I stare at Michael and frown. “What are you doing here?”


“We always have a dri…”


“I will meet you at Woody’s in an hour.” I tell him, shutting the door in his face with great relish.


“I…” Ted begins.


“No, you are not at fault. I like to see the good in people and made a mistake. Never again. I know now what a good friend is and that good friend is you.”


“Thank you. If I could kick his ass for you, I would. So what are you going to do about that? You’re not seriously going to wear it there?”


“No, of course not. But if it is who I am hoping it is, I have bought a little token of my own.”


“Can I see?”


“No, because if it’s not him, I will be mortified.”


“Okay Ems. Another Cosmo and then we go to Babylon?”


“But I said I would meet him in...yes, yes to both.”


WOODY’S - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


I take another sip of my drink and sigh. She seems to have sent the email to everyone as there are some shirtless dweebs swaggering about. I don’t know why they are bothering, I have already put a plan in place to win this. I look forward to making Brian my slave for the night and then for life. I look at my watch and shake my head. I hate being kept waiting and Ems knows that! I decide to call him. It goes to voicemail.


BABYLON - TWO HOURS LATER


CAMEO, THE DOORMAN


Yeah okay, I did bad before by letting him in before others when he tipped me the odd ten bucks, but now I know what he said about my Emmy. He is one of the kindest, sweetest men in the world. As Novotny walks towards the door smiling, I am ready.


“Hi Cam, great evening…”


“Hi.” I hold out my hand and he, as usual, takes it, and I hand him back every dime he has ever given me. “Back of the line, Mr Novotny.”


“What?”


“Back of the line. You’ve got your money back. I don’t like people who hurt my friends. And you did hurt my friend. Back of the line.”


“This is ridiculous! I…”


“Am holding up decent people! Back of the line and if you are lucky, you will get in.”


BAR - 90 MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


I finally make my way through the crowds and find just Ted at the bar. “Where’s Emmett?” I demand.


“On the floor.” Ted retorts.


I turn to the dance floor and find him dancing with Brian. Oh, how Brian can move!


“Nice shirt.” Ted intones, smirking. “Looks like you are going to be slaveless this evening.”


“You think this is nice? Clearly you need your eyes tested; this is hideous!” I smirk, looking down at the sure-fire winning monstrosity they gave me. Now I know what Cameron was up to.



“Oh, I think that’s the most decent shirt I have seen this evening!”


“Babylonites! Your attention please! As well as Desperado and the Eagle, we have a new clandestine coupling: Tight End and the Quarterback...okay, so Quarterback is a given, so just come on up. I have something for your something!”


“What’s going on?” I demand.


“No idea!” Ted retorts.


“What the fuck is wrong with you?”


“I don’t like your funky breath and nasty ass whine in my ear!” He snaps back and moves away.


The world has gone mad! Everyone has gone bonkers.


Emmett and Brian return to the bar and we are soon joined by everyone else, including David, in the ugliest shirt I have ever seen.



“Who did you fuck to get that shirt?!” I snark.


“Your mother.” Ted retorts. “Who wants a top up?”


“I would love a…”


“Anyone apart from him?” Ted cuts me off.


Soon everyone, but me, has drinks. We are joined by Daphne, and Flaky Fairy. “What the hell is that garish thing?!” I laugh pointing at Drew’s necklace.



“A token of my admirer’s esteem, which I think is wonderful and sweet.”


“It is about as wonderful as that shirt!” I snicker.



“Well don’t you look smart!” Emmett exclaims as he joins us in the conversation.




“Jesus! Who hates you?!” I snigger as I take in the full majesty that is his shirt and whatever he is wearing on his finger.


“Michael, you do realise that the point of being Sir Knight is to wear the ugly shirt, not the ugly personality?!” Ted snaps.


“Now just…”


“Oh, I just love that shirt!” Emmett exclaims as he sees Flaky Fairy.



“Can I have…” He trails off as he looks at Drew in his outfit. “You? You sent me this?”


“No, I didn’t.” He replies and I hold back my smirk as Emmett, is yet again, shot down in flames.


“But that’s my…”


“Yeah, I know and we have the meddling Chyna to thank for that. Seems she caught an admiring glance and conspired.”


“Admiring…”


“Babylonites! We have totted up the scores. And on the doors they are thus. Sir Knight of the night is Drew Boyd! Come on up, sweet thang!”


The crowds part and then I see them...I don’t know when they moved or when he joined us, but Brian and Flaky Fairy are quite close together. Yeah, not happening! Before I can make my move, Daphne shows some use and drags the twink off on the dance floor so Brian is on his own.


“You look nice. I love the belt.”




“Thanks. I thought you would be a shoe in.” He tips his glass at my shirt.


“Clearly, they were playing favourites.” I smile but he frowns. “Didn’t want the studs amongst us to have to make a choice.”


“Yeah, let’s go with that!” David snarks. “So, Brian, who would you have chosen if you had…”


“And Mr Boyd has chosen his slave!” Chyna’s voice booms out.


I sigh in relief. “Thank god, this is over! As a man of great taste and integrity, like myself…”


“Let’s dance!” He yells and I beam as I follow him to the dance floor, reaching for his back pocket, but he stays just out of reach. He stalks his way into the middle of the mass of bodies, and, to my horror, takes a place next to Flaky Fairy. Brian places his hands on his hips and is drawing him closer than necessary.


I am fuming!  He asked me to dance, not the fairy who will not take a hint and go away!  I decide to pull his focus, and begin to move my body to the beat. I know I’m a great dancer, and it doesn't take long for everyone to confirm it by stopping what they're doing and staring at me. I bask in the looks of admiration, and glance in Brian's direction... only to find him gone!


“Oh thank fuck, he’s stopped!” Someone laughs as I walk back to the bar. “Whatever he thought he was doing, he so wasn’t!” I stop and look at where that came from. “Yes, I am talking about and now to you!” A twink steps out and up to me. “Stay off the dance floor. Leave it to people who have actually got some moves!”


“I’ll have you know…”


“Tell someone who wants to listen!” He snaps and turns back to his friends before they all slither like the snakes they are into the crowd. I keep heading to the bar and find Brian, mercifully fairy free, leaning against it. “Alone at last.” I grin at him.


“Jesus... must you creep up on a guy like that?!” He jerks away from me. “Can’t you wear a bell or something?”


“Ouch!” Ted snickers as he comes up and my cheeks flame.


“Where’s everyone else?” Brian asks him.


“Helping Drew with his list of duties for Emmett.” Ted laughs.


“Why would he need duties for Emmett?” I frown.


“Because he’s his slave for the night.” Ted explains as if I am stupid.


“That flamer!” I gasp. “He picked him?! What on earth for?!”


“APOLOGISE IMMEDIATELY OR GET THE FUCK OUT!” Ted explodes. I am taken aback and people are starting to stare.


“It was a…”


“Insult! A fucking insult to my friend. Say sorry right the fuck now!”


“He’s not even…”


“Say sorry, Michael. Him not being here is irrelevant.” David sneers at me. “A flamer is an insult to gay men everywhere. Apologise!”


“I am so sorry, Ted, for upsetting you.” I smile tightly as I spit out the words.


“No you’re not, but it will…”


“What’s going on?” Chyna’s voice has me leaping almost 30 feet in the air. “Ted bellowed and he never bellows. What’s going on?”


“He used a derogatory term against Emmett and Ted didn’t like it.” David explains.


“What did he say?”


“He called him a…”


“I have apologised.” I say quickly. “Let’s not rehash old ground. Remember, if I get punished, we all get punished.”


“That only applies in class. What did he say?” She demands.


“He called him a flamer.” David tattles.


At first, she doesn’t seem to do anything but then I feel a hand on my shoulder. “Banned for a week. Get it out!” She snaps before she stalks back to her booth, turns the music off and the lights go up. “Listen up, people! Michael Novotny is banned from Babylon for a week. Nobody let him in!”


“What did he do?” Someone shouts out.


“Called my doll the F-word.”


“Need help removing him?” Someone else shouts.


“Nah. A shower after, yeah, but help not so much.” With a rough jerk to my shoulder, I am hustled out of the club.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks