- Text Size +

CHAPTER 17 - SLIP SLIDING, SLIP SLIDING AWAY...OH IT’S SLIP SLIDING AWAY


VIC AND DEBS’S HOUSE - LATE SUNDAY EVENING


MICHAEL’S ROOM


MICHAEL


I feel really good about what I said to the Flaky Fairy.  At least he now knows where he stands with Brian, which is nowhere. Brian doesn’t want a screaming, hysterical fishwife for a partner. He needs someone who is assertive, bold and basically...me! I have to say that I am curious as to how he can afford that place, so I am going to investigate him. There must be something rotten in there somewhere.


An hour later, I am so annoyed! He is worth loads of money... not as much money as Brian, but he’s pretty close. And all from playing an oversized fiddle! And all of it...every dime of it was earned fucking legally!


“Michael!” I roll my eyes at Uncle Vic’s voice then go still and quiet. It is all to no avail as the door is pushed open and he is staring over his glasses at me. “Michael, I know you are not asleep. Close down the laptop and bring the dirty dishes down. I have been wanting to talk to you all day, and...”


“Can it wait until the morning? I was going to go to sleep.” I yawn for extra emphasis.


“No. Come down now!” He retorts and then stands there waiting.


“Why do I have to come downstairs? You can talk to me right here if it is that important.”


“Michael, I am not your mother, even though she is now learning not to take your shit. I told you to come downstairs. Now do so!”


Sighing crossly, I get up and am about to go downstairs when he clears his throat. “Now what? You asked me to go downstairs and that is what I am doing.”


“I said to bring the dirty dishes down as well.” I trudge back to the table where the dishes are and pick the bowls up. “All of them.”


“I can’t carry them all!” I grumble as I look back at the remaining four plates, two bowls and three glasses.


“Then you should’ve brought them down as you used them. Now bring them all down.”


“Supposing I drop one?”


“How bad do you want to find out what happens if you do?”


Uh-oh, this is not good. He only uses that tone of voice when it’s not good.


“Okay, Uncle Vic. Let’s go downstairs and have this chat.” I smile winningly and gather all the dishes then head downstairs. “Do you know what this is about?” I whisper at Ma but she doesn’t answer.


VIC


I wait for him to come back in the lounge, still with that winning smile of his. “Where were you today?”


“I went for a walk. I was told to walk to ease my hip.”


“Uh huh, and where did you walk to?” Ma asks.


“Well after a short walk, I went to Woody’s.”


“And after that? Where did you go? What did you do?” She is now looking at him coldly.


“I helped some guy find a house he was looking for and then stayed there.”


“Uh-huh and who was the guy?”


“I don’t know. He was just some guy looking for directions. What is this about?”


“So you didn’t tell this lost guy that Brian is your boyfriend?”


“No, of course not! Why should I say something that is not true? I don’t lie, Ma!”


Debs actually snorts into her glass of wine. “You don’t, what? You’ve just done it! In fact, you’ve been doing it ever since you fell over at the Big Q. Maybe you hit your head? Your brains got addled when you landed on your...now was it? Oh, right! Your coccyx that got damaged, amongst other things, right?”


“What does my accident at the Big Q have to do with this...whatever this is?”


“It’s slipping. See? It always slips when the big six words are said.”


“Big six...what is this about?!” He demands.


“Oh, it’s gone completely now. This is the face I’ve come to know and loathe. Yes, Michael, I said loathe. You don’t realise what you have done, do you? But although it hurt and you were a vicious little prick, you’ve done good while doing bad. And what this is about is for me to say well done and keep up the good work. Keep being you. Now, if you would, please wash up those things and go back up to your room. We no longer wish to be in your odious company.”


As he goes to the kitchen to do as I tell him in complete confusion, I look across at Debs and feel sorry for her. But I also wholeheartedly blame her for his shyster ways. He was a good boy in school and did reasonably well in college. Emmett was there to help when he could, but he had his own future to map out. And although Debs understood it, she did try to guilt trip him into helping more but Emmett is from the South. There is a whole lot of steel in that man! Ted refused to help Michael again after he just sat there and let Ted do all the work while he read comics...this was his tax return!


He goes upstairs slowly, constantly looking at us, but we say nothing. Debs is about to say something when his door closes, but I shake my head and pull out my phone. Then I indicate to her to do the same and take hers off silent. Feeling gleeful, I send her the first text. Her phone booms like a claxon when it is received and I hear his feet still and then his door is shut firmly.


Me: that’s taken care of him! I do so love using modern technology for the good of ourselves. So it is agreed? We do it tomorrow?


Her: yes and I have never hoped to be so wrong in my life.


Me: but I don’t think it is wrong. It wasn’t just Mr Otter who said it. There have been whispers and you know that.


Her: I know and yes, I have been a fucking emu about this. But I always wanted him to just be good and do well.


Me: but not at the expense of others, and definitely not illegally. What he’s being accused of is fraud!


Her: If, and it’s a big IF, it is true, what do we do?


Me: Sis! This is the Avenue and the Avenue only whispers when there is more than a grain of truth in what is being said. As for what we do, not sure. But he’s definitely outstayed his welcome now. Sorry, not sorry but he has to leave and soon.


Her: I agree. So what was he doing on the laptop?


I hold up my hand and smirk as I hear the pacing has resumed. I flick the cover up and am relieved that his history has not been cleared. Then, I frown.


Me: looking up on Justin. As in his net worth...


Her: what the fuck for?


Me: don’t know, but I am telling Ems!


OPERA HOUSE - TUESDAY AFTERNOON


KITCHEN


JUSTIN


It smells incredible in here. I cross another thing off of my list with pride and then squirm slightly as Brian’s lips meet the back of my neck. “How long again?” I ask, reaching back to stroke his cheek.


“Another twenty minutes and you will have you first loaf of homemade bread. Trust me, it is so much better than shop bought. But I can’t touch Ems for bread. The pumpernickel is great.”


“So what’s next on our culinary list?” I ask.


“A double walk and then a long lazy fuck in the bathroom?”


“Yep, that!  Let’s do that!” I grin at him.


OUTSIDE BABYLON - EVENING


ETHAN


I have stuck around here just for something to do. And besides, I want to let Taylor know how he’s ruined my life again! I am not hurting for money, far from it. But the prestige has been taken away from me, and I live for the plaudits! Being recognised as a talented powerhouse does wonders for the ego!


I am surprised that this place is so rammed on a Monday night and then I look at the men queuing. More specifically, what they are carrying. I tap one guy on the shoulder. “What’s going on?”


“Auditions. The notice only went out yesterday. I hope I get in.”


“Auditions for what?”


“The orchestra. Not sure what she’s going to call it, but it’s for stringed instruments.”


“How many nights are the auditions for?” I gasp.


“For the next three nights. Um, what instrument do you play?”


“Cello and I’m going to go and get it!” I yell and I take off running towards my car.


Oh I can’t wait to lead this orchestra. We’re going to be like Escala on steroids! It will be a unique concept and of course, I shall tell Brent all about it...and he will be begging to represent me, I mean us!


Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks