- Text Size +

CHAPTER 18 - STOMP. STEP DOWN ON IT. PUT YOUR FOOT WHERE YOU FEEL THE FIT


ETHAN


Thank goodness I always have Mischa with me! He named his Evelyn...Evelyn?! There isn’t a famous cellist called Evelyn. At least my Mischa is named after Maisky! I rush back to the rapidly lengthening queue, but am thwarted in my attempts to get back to my place. No matter, my greatness, like Rostropovich’s will be recognised!


INSIDE BABYLON


TED


I am looking at a pink faced, and no doubt still pink-cheeked Ems. “So you need to go into more detail...you know, enunciate.”


“Like I said, Teddy, we played pool. He is a sore loser, and now I have a slightly less sore ass!”


“Nice?”


“Oh yes, very much so.” He sighs and then leans across and kisses my cheek. “I know your prince is going to come, Teddy.”


“Ems! List is out!” Chyna calls out, and Babylon goes quiet as she puts it on screen. “Ooh, he’s not going to like that!” Chyna crows as we see that Michael has not only retained his top spot on the A-List, but his score has increased and David has dropped down to third!


“When did you add photos?!” Someone calls out.


“When the number 2 tried to pass himself off as someone on the S-List.” Sade explains. “They aren’t on there because they got lucky with genetics.”


“What’s that?” A greasy man asks, looking at the screen.


“The A-List…”


“I know him. The guy who tops it, I know him. Yeah, he’s cute but I’ve seen hotter.”


“Yeah. You’re new in town, aren’t you? The A in A-List stands for avoid, and I would keep you knowing him on a strictly need-to-know basis.”


“Duly noted. So…”


“Rest of the lists are being buggers and not in a good way. Hang on!” Chyna grumbles.


“I take it the other lists are where a guy wants to be?” The guy asks, but it is Chyna I am looking at. She does not look pleased, and the look of annoyance is not being directed at her laptop. She turns to Sade and says something to her, she nods and starts to approach.


“Ted, Ems, Chyna would like a word please.”


“Aww! I wanted to watch.” Ems gripes as I pull him away.


SADE


I love my Chyna. We’ve been business partners for years. Not too many people know that she owns Babylon. Most think she’s just the DJ and bitchy-butchy enforcer whenever the need arises. I lean against the bar and signal a drink. My gimlet arrives in seconds. I take a measured sip, before listening to this popinjay ask about the lists.


“The best person to speak to is Sade. This is Sade.”


He turns to me and I have to suppress my laugh, as Chyna is right he does indeed look like he has the back end of a rat in his chin!


“So what do you want to know...urrrm?”


“Ethan. Ethan Gold.” He extends his hand while perusing me before flashing me what he feels is a great smile. It is irritatingly ingratiating. I shake it and make a mental note to bleach it afterwards. “So, the people on the…”


“Snog and Fuck are up!” Chyna yells and again, Babylon goes quiet. “And we have a tie on both!”


I see his face drop when he takes in the people on the list and then it twists with jealousy as he demands. “Are you people mad? How is Justin Taylor on that list and why is he called The Prince? Wait, he’s on both of them! Bet he put himself on!”


“As I was about to explain to you.” I look at my boots and wonder how far I can get the tip of them up his ass “...the people on the list are voted on. They can’t put themselves there.”


“Rubbish! Nobody would vote for him!”


My feet are beginning to move of their own volition now, and once again, I focus on the greater good of how much I love them…



“Ethan, I can assure you, as one of the persons that set up the lists, that they had to be voted on! And they are not just judged on how they look. They’re judged on how they are, what they do and of course, how they kiss and fuck. I have to say those two have been consistently topping...the charts since their arrival. Even when they didn’t look as good as they do now.”


“What? I don’t understand.” He questions as he fidgets with his case.


“The Stud and The Prince, as they are called by the Babylonites, breezed into town at the same time and caught the eyes of several. But thus far, The Stud has only made one visit to the backroom. And apart from dancing with Emmett, that would be him over there, and the Prince...nobody else. The Prince hasn’t made a visit to the backroom as far as I am aware. And The Stud went in before the list started. Their stock is high!”


He grimaces and rolls his eyes before pulling himself to his full height and looking around the room. “We’ll soon see about that!” He mutters, and then takes off his jacket and leans against the bar. “So these auditions? Who do I need to speak to in order to not waste the time of others?”


Oh, for fuck sake! I know that some gay men are narcissists but please look in a mirror and then become one!


“You would need to speak to Chyna, the lady on the decks. But I wouldn't bank on...what is it that you play anyway?”


He looks askance at me. “You obviously are not an orchestral music fan, as I said I am Ethan Gold and…”


“Oh, I know you!” Tinklebell cries out. “You’re the second string to Justin Taylor and...ooh, Justin Taylor is in Pittsburgh!” He plays whatever part I saw Chyna asking him to play out of the corner of my eye perfectly. “Do you know him? Can you get me an autograph? Do you know where he lives? Does he have a boyfriend?” With each question, he shakes his hips and his Albert’s bell tinkles; Chyna sends Ems to the office as he looks like he’s going to combust!


“Mr Taylor...” The malevolent muridae sounds like he’s chewing nails. “Like me, is a very private person. Please do not ask me to give out his or my personal information.”


“I don’t want yours, which is why I asked for his. I mean, he’s the one with the looks and talent. Never...my goodness, isn’t that…? Surely not! That looks like Blake Wyzecki! Not sure if you’ve heard of Blake Wyzecki…”


“Of course, I have! Anyone with half an ounce of musical taste, or barely any taste at all, knows one of the greatest conductors and composers of modern times!”


“I’m going to ask him!” Tinklebell exclaims and then before I could stop him, he is off, tinkling all the way.


“That poor man is going to get…” The idiot begins only to be interrupted by the arrival of Drew Boyd. “...oh my God, is that Drew Boyd? Now he is a man’s man. I could get me some of him!”


“No, you could not. He is taken.” I tell him brusquely, and the arrogant look he gives me makes me want to use him as a mop. “As you can see, very much taken!” I smirk and nod in the direction of a liplocked, butt holding, hip grinding embrace that Drew and Emmett are now in.


“Hardly seems his type!” He bitches.


“Well, he is!” I bitch back.


“Ethan? Ethan Gold!” Calls a voice that has him preening.


“Blake! How great to see you! What are you doing in Pittsburgh?”


“I could ask you the same question.” Blake says, coming over with his hand outstretched.


“I’m on a sabbatical and was thinking of joining their orchestra. You know, just to keep myself fresh.”


“I understand. Hope you get in as it will be great to work with the two of you again.”


“The two of us?” He frowns.


“Yes. I am going to be conducting and composing the music for this…”


“Really?! Oh wow, that’s excellent. If there is anything I can do to help with the compo…”


“Oh no, there’s no need. Justin and I have already worked together before, as you know. We will be fine.”


“You and Justin are going to be working on this?” He repeats weakly before swallowing hard. He is about to say something, when Chyna taps the mike.


“Gelt! Eltan Gelt! You’re up!”


“It’s Ethan Gold.” He grouches as he makes his way to the stage.


“And you are no longer glistening.” Blake chortles.


Ten minutes later, we have to admit that he plays well. So it is with great reluctance, but again thinking of the greater good, he is offered a place, which he accepts with all the good humor of a virgin syphilitic monk at a STD clinic.


CHYNA


“Ted! I need you to meet someone.” I beckon him over. “Ted, this is Blake…”


“I know who he is.” Ted gasps. “I saw you conduct at The Met. Such talent in one so young.”


“Ted, is it?” Gold sneers. “Blake doesn’t like to be fawned over in such…”


“Ethan, it is fine. Ted can fawn over me whenever he wants. Now, Ted, shall we find a quiet corner and you can tell me what you liked about my performance, and I can find out what I like about you...apart from your warm brown eyes, of course?”


“Seems our Petal has found his Blossom.” I smirk at Ethan and he just glares, repacks his cello and, with one more baleful look at the pair of them, stalks out.


Sade comes over with a large brandy for me. “Two things: one, we must tell Vic about the name change…” She takes a look at our orchestra list. “...and two, you did tell Mr Gold what the orchestra will be wearing?”


“Nope, because I have no idea, but having met him, you do?”


“Oh yes...we want all eyes on the Studs and Staffs...not some low rent Julian Lloyd Webber! Well most of the time anyway. And I have the perfect thing! Now all we have to do is make sure there is plenty of light for them...I mean him on the night!”


She turns the screen to me. “Wow...how can you do that outfit in such a wonderful colour as purple?!”



 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks