- Text Size +

CHAPTER 22 - PETAL AND BLOSSOM, A THORN AND BLUE ROSES


TED’S APARTMENT - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


TED


I watch mesmerised with tears in my eyes as Blake conducts along to the CD I bought at the Met. To see him up close, and the passion he has for his craft is just the most awesome thing… and he’s got his eyes closed!


“Ted, are you okay?!” He exclaims, finally looking at me. What’s wrong? Do you want me to stop?” He asks worriedly.


“No. I don’t ever want you to stop, you must never stop conducting. That was so utterly beautiful, hence the tears. I cried more at the Met though.” I sniff, and take the handkerchief he hands to me. “Sorry about that.”


He is just looking at me before he clears his throat. “Would you like me to kiss you, Ted? Because I would very much like to do that.”


“You would? Me? You want to kiss me?” I stutter, blushing furiously, and then as if of its own volition my body moves closer to him.


“Yes. Can I take your moving closer as a yes?” I nod, and when his lips touch mine it is very soft, like a leaf falling from a tree. “Is that level okay, or can I go totally overboard and kiss the shit out you?!”


“That... you can definitely do that!” I laugh, before I am pounced on and thoroughly ravished!


OMNI HOTEL - SAME TIME


ETHAN’S ROOM


ETHAN


How dare they?! How dare they think that they are going to write this together and not include me! And as for that monstrosity of an outfit! I huff crossly and then go to the mirror. I strip off my shirt and take a critical look at my body. It is not that bad, but I guess it could be better, just a little bit, I don’t need that much tweaking. Then I remember something that Michael said, about his class.


I decide to google Woody’s and that leads me to the studio that she co-owns with Chyna. I reach for my phone and call to enrol in the class Michael mentioned. It takes forever for someone to pick up. “Yes, this is Ethan Gold, I wish to be put through to Chyna or Sade please. In a class? Both of them? I see. Well, I’ve been recommended by one of her clients, a Michael Novotny, to join his class, and I was wondering if that would be possible? It would? Oh, that’s great. When is the next class? Next Saturday, what time? Great, thank you, is there anything else? No? Okay thank you, bye.”


I suck my stomach in a little more when I look at my reflection again. Soon I will be perfect, very perfect!


DAVID’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


LOUNGE


DAVID


I look at the list again and I am sliding down. I have dropped from 3rd to 11th, out of the top ten is better than being in it! Michael still reigns supreme though! I check the schedule for the next class and grimace… we have to practice our routine, which would be fine, but he tends to not wear underwear and that is just hideous!


I get down on the floor and start my exercises again. I may have a horrible partner, but I am definitely not having a horrible body! I’m in the middle of the 3rd minute of my plank when the phone rings, and while I’m relieved to have a reason to stop it’s when I see who it is that my heart sinks. Knowing that he will just fill up my voicemail, I put it on speaker. “Make it quick I have to go out.”


“And hello to you too!” He retorts.


“You want to speak to me more than I want to speak to you, as evidenced by this call. Time is passing you by.”


“Well, I have been checking the schedule of classes, and I think we should practice more together outside of class.”


“No. Bye now.” I wait for a few seconds and with nauseating predictability he rings again. “I said no. Stop bothering me.”


“But, David…” He whines. “...how can we win if we don’t practice together?!”


“Why would I want to win a competition when I am not going to be going on the trip?!” I sneer, and hang up again but this time he doesn’t call back.


VIC AND DEBS’S HOUSE - FIVE MINUTES AFTER THE CALL


MICHAEL’S ROOM


MICHAEL


“Fucking fat fuck!” I hiss at my phone and throw it on the bed, I start to pace a bit and then I hear Ma and Uncle Vic talking and creep to my bedroom door and open it as quietly as I can.


“So, have your heard anything else about the audit at the Big Q?” Ma asks him.


“No, nothing much. Now that they are onto the serious stuff, they are keeping things close to their chests.”


“What do you mean serious stuff?”


That’s what I’d like to fucking know!


“I honestly don’t know, Sis. All I do know is that Ted is the best in the business and something has to be really amiss for them to have called him in.”


Best? Him… As if!


“I heard that everyone at the Big Q has been made to sign NDAs. What are they?” Ma asks.


I roll my eyes at her stupidity, everyone knows what one of those is!


“Non-Disclosure Agreement. It means that they can’t talk to anyone about anything or they would be fired, or worse.”


I smile as a plan starts to formulate. As well as being fat, Fatter Marley has a fat and loose mouth. I shut the door as quietly as I opened it and reach for my phone. I smile to myself as the call connects. “Hey, Marley, how you doing? What do you mean who is it? Michael, Michael Novotny. Hello? Hello?” I frown and redial, but this time it goes straight to voicemail. I hang up and try again, and again it goes to voicemail. “Hi Marley, it’s Michael. Not sure what happened there. Anyway, long time no speak, just wanted to know if you wanted to meet up and catch up. I hear that things are happening at the Q. This is my number, give me a call. Bye.”


I stretch out on the bed and reach for a comic to read. I’m not sure how long I have been sleeping but I’m jolted awake by my phone buzzing on my stomach. I look at the screen and it’s a text from Fatter Marley, she was always an easy touch. I open it and gasp: Fuck off. Yours, Ursula from that Fish Movie.


I get up and storm downstairs. “Uncle Vic! Have you been telling people things that are said in this house?”


“Why shouldn’t I? This is my house.” He replies, not looking up from the TV.


“The things that I say in here are private!”


“Correction, the things that you say in your bedroom are private. In the communal areas, anything goes.” He looks at me briefly with a smirk. “So, what’s happened that has got your non existent panties in a knot?”


“Non existent… what are you talking about?”


“If you are going to go commando, have something to go commando with.” He looks me up and down. “It’s a shame that Chyna’s exercises have had no effect on that muscle. Now, unless you want to explain what you are upset about, go back to your room, because we want to watch our soaps.”


“You told Fatter Marley what I called her as a joke!”


“No I didn’t.” He retorts.


“Then how did she know about it?”


“Michael, you haven’t left the house all day. How do you know she knows about it?” This time he does look at me in confusion.


“She sent me a text telling me to fuck off when I asked her if we could catch up. She signed it off as Ursula from that fish movie. So explain that!”


“I told her.” Ma says, as she rejoins him on the sofa and I glare at her. “What’s the problem? You said she had a great sense of humour, but I have to say I don’t remember her smiling much at the time.”


“Before you go, Michael, you owe me an apology. And I am curious as to why you wanted to catch up with her after all this time.”


“Sorry, Uncle Vic, and my reasons are my own.” I reply as calmly as I can, and start to head upstairs.


“Nobody is going to talk to you about what’s happening, Michael. You are not worth losing their jobs over.” He calls out as I reach the landing. “Funny that.”


I shut the door hard and bite my nail, I need to find out what is happening over there! And then I have it. I open my wardrobe and find the papers from the compensation claim and quickly find my former attorney’s number. I wait for it to connect. “Kenton Richards, it’s Michael Novotny. What do you mean what do I want? They are doing an audit of the Big Q. Ah, that got your attention, didn’t it? We need to find out what they know or we could be in trouble. What do you mean there is no WE. You and I both know that you could lose your license if anything gets out. What do you mean you can’t? I gave you some of it so you would keep quiet. No, it is not called bill payment, it’s called… hello! Hello?!”


What is it with people fucking hanging up on me today?!


I am about to ring him again when an email notification comes through and I quickly open it.


Mr Novotny, Apologies, but the line cut out there. As I was about to say to you, as far as I am concerned the monies received from you were for services rendered. I have documentary evidence to prove that you were rather generous in your payment of your own free will. If you don’t recall it the same way, please see the notarized copy of email attached, in which you acknowledged that it was an overpayment, yet you refused to take it back. It was this payment that allowed me to fulfil my dream and leave law, therefore I have no license to lose. If I can be of any further assistance please contact my attorney, copied in this email. Sincerely Kenton Richards.


I sink down on the bed and read it again and then open the email he attached. My own words have come back to bite me in my ass.


Kenton, As I said to you in our previous phone call, the overpayment of your bill is a thank you for your sterling services in getting me what I deserved following my accident at the Big Q. I confirm that I am happy to pay it of my own free will, without coercion and nor is there any impropriety on your behalf implied. Sincerely, Michael Novotny.


EDDIE V’S PRIME SEAFOOD RESTAURANT


JUSTIN


I am so nervous! Cyn and Daph called to say that they had everything and want to speak to us tomorrow, so that is another thing off my mind, well for today anyway. Because my nervousness is because today is my first ever date! Brian said he would meet me here. As I look around the beautiful restaurant, there is a discreet cough and I look up.


“Uh…” I begin as I see the waiter standing there. “Are those…”


“Compliments of the gentlemen by the hostess station, sir. He wishes to know if he could join you.” He grins and then leans closer. “Either you say yes, or I will.”


“Put those down and send him over!” I order, grinning back.


“Of course sir!” He laughs, and puts down the most beautiful blue roses I have ever seen.



I touch the petals and they are as soft as silk. “Are they okay?” Brian asks as he gets to the table, but before I can answer he places a soft kiss on my lips and brushes my cheek. “Are they happy ones?” He hands me a handkerchief and I nod.


“They are so beautiful, I love the vase. It was nice of the restaurant to provide it.”


“They didn’t. I bought the vase especially. You happy again?”


I pull one of the smaller roses out and signal the waiter, and as if he read my mind he takes a penknife out of his pocket and cuts it down to make a boutonniere and then walks away with a smile.


“May I?” I wave it at him.


“You better. But hang on.” He takes out another smaller rose and the waiter is over in seconds. “Thanks, and can we have a bottle of your finest champagne please?”


“Of course, sir. Is this a special occasion?” He asks, grinning as we put the roses in each other’s buttonholes.


“It’s our first date.” I reply quietly, as he takes my hand back in his.


“Really? I thought you’d been together for a lot longer than that. The love is strong in you two. I will be right back.”


We are both stunned at his words and for a minute neither of us say anything.


“You look amazing. I can’t take my eyes off of you.” He says almost shyly.


I can’t stop the smile that spreads across my face, and I almost shake my head in wonderment. When we first met, I never thought we would even be friends, and I certainly didn’t think we’d ever be close enough to date, but here we are.  


“You don’t look so bad yourself, Mr. Kinney. Is that Armani?”


He laughs. A sound I have grown to love. “Is there any other designer?”


The waiter takes that moment to return to the table with the champagne, and proceeds to pour each of us a glass. “Have you gentlemen made your selections?” To be honest, I hadn’t even noticed the menus that he had placed on the table. Looking at the expression on Brian’s face, I don’t think he had either.


“We’ll need a few more minutes,” Brian tells him. “I’ll signal when we’re ready to order.”


“Very good, sir,” He says with a smile, and disappears to see to his other tables.


I look back at Brian, only to find him gazing at me. “I’d like to propose a toast.” He says, raising his glass, and indicating with a nod of his head that I should do the same. “To the two hottest men in all of Pittsburgh making a go of it. May this be the first of many dates to come?!” He gives me his tongue-in-cheek smile, and I can’t help laugh a little as we clink our glasses together and each of us take a sip.


“And here’s a big fuck you to all of our haters!” I say with a grin. “May they eat their jealous hearts out?!”


“Speaking of eating.” He leans closer. “Shall we get the food to go? And since it’s a nice warm night, go to our little Bubble?”


“Pick quickly!” I order snatching up the menu much to the amusement of him and the waiter!


THE WAITER, AN HOUR LATER


I chuckle to myself as I shut the door behind them, they were in such a hurry that they forgot the flowers and had to come back for them… both of them hand in hand! Sighing, I think about my relationships and wish I could get something like that. If those two aren’t married by the end of the year, I will eat my hat! I am surprised to see the younger man come back again. “Did you forget something sir?”


“Yes. Can we book a table for next Saturday evening? We promise to eat in this time! About eight?”


“Hurry up!” The older man bellows down the street.


“Coming!” He yells back.


“Not if you don’t get that ass over here now you won’t be!”


“Gotta go!” He beams and runs back to his man.


HALF AN HOUR LATER


I smile once more at the twittering twinkly couple in the private alcove. They have been gently flirting with me throughout their time here. “Now, darling, don’t you think he would be on the S-List?”


“Yes, sweetheart, I do. Definitely not A-List.” I heave a sigh of relief, I have heard of these lists but never looked at them. “Shall we see if they are still reigning?”


“Oh yes. Now, before we do that, what is your name?”


“Christophe.” I reply.


“Full name Christophe so we can add you to the S-List.”


“Black. Christophe Black. And thank you. I am flattered.”


“Well earned. Now let us check. Yes, the Stud and the Prince are still topping the charts, though Prince leads the S-List. Oh, Christophe are you alright? You looked positively flummoxed.”


“Those two guys, they were in here!” I exclaim.


“And that should induce this kind of reaction because…” Sweetheart asks.


“They were in here together! On their first date!”


“Are you absolutely sure about that?” Darling demands and I nod. “Oh, the Avenue has to hear about this!”


“Excuse me, but could you not do that?” They both look at me in surprise.


“Why not?” Darling asks.


“Because I want them to have a chance to be you...”


“Are you saying that…”


“Yes, I am saying that. So please don’t.”


“Then you have our word.” Darling smiles and reaches across the table for his Sweetheart’s hand.


“As a matter of interest how long have you been together?”


“Twenty five years. It was love at first sight.” Darling replies.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks