- Text Size +

CHAPTER 26 - SUNSHINE ON A RAINY DAY, MAKES MY SOUL, MAKES MY SOUL, TRIP, TRIP AWAY


ROOF OF OPERA HOUSE - TWO HOURS LATER


JUSTIN


“Now once more…” I kiss away his pout of frustration. “...gently stroke your bow across the strings.” Again we both start slightly at the cat screech that is supposed to be an A-flat.


“At least it doesn’t sound like a feral cat now.” He sighs.


“You are used to being instantly good at everything, aren’t you?” He nods. “Well, I hate to tell you, but I have been playing since I was 11. But you’re better now than I was when I was 12.”


“This does not fill me with confidence about my cello playing future.” He puts Evelyn gently down, and I love him more for that act of respect. “But I can play one instrument very well...well two, but I have been playing mine for a while. I would much rather play yours.”


“Come on, maestro...play me.” I order and lie down, then arch as he takes my bow in his hand starts to stroke me towards heaven. “Ohmyohmyohmygod!” I growl out, and then watch, amazed, as he throws his head back before covering my thighs and belly with his seed.


“We need a shower. No, a bath.” I murmur as he slides on top of me, nuzzles my nose and smiles sleepily. “Or a nap first?”


“Nap.” He reaches for the blanket and covers us up before wrapping himself around my almost boneless body. “Loveyoubrat.”


“Loveyoutwerp.” I mumble.


PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - EARLY MONDAY MORNING


MARTINI


MICHAEL


Ma and Uncle Vic have ordered a mimosa each, apparently this is a ritual that was started by Rodney whenever they went on holiday. Then Ma is going to buy a trinket of remembrance, as if she needs any more tacky jewellery!


“Guys while you are having that, I’m just going to go to the bookstore to see if I can get some more comics to read…”


“Oh, no need, Michael, I packed some for you, I didn’t want you to be walking around anywhere you...don’t need to be. Here.” Uncle Vic holds out a bunch of comics. “Now, what do you want to drink? Are you allowed to drink on your meds by the way?”


“I wasn’t given meds. It was just severe bruising.” I grumble and snatch the comics from him and then stomp to the nearest sofa.


I have to get out of this trip. I have to!


DEBS


I stifle my laughter as he manages not to limp to the sofa. “Oh Vic you are mean. So now what do we do?”


“Me? Are you calling me mean? You were all set to turn him inside out when you saw that picture!” He chuckles and then sobers. “Isla told me that they fired the cleaning company of the store after they paid out. They almost had to close down.”


“And all because he didn’t want to work!” She spits. “So what’s happening at home?”


“They are going through his things to find anything he’s kept from the parade, he’s such a hoarder there must be something that proves, apart from the blurry picture that he was, and I use the term loosely, dancing his ass off at the parade, a day after his serious accident!”


“Do you think they can clear it up so it proves irrefutably that it is...he’s coming over!” I hiss, and Vic clears the rage from his face.


“Aren’t you coming to sit with me? Or am I some kind of pariah?”


“We’re just wondering whether we should eat now or the other end?”


“The cost of the food here is ridiculous!” He exclaims as his parsimonious side comes to the fore.


“It’s my money. It's not as if I am spending your rent money, is it?” Vic observes him over his glasses. “In a few months, Sis, the mortgage will be paid off. Isn’t it great?” His Adam’s apple bobbles and I concentrate on the menu. “Such a good idea to put the money in a separate account. Remind me to do that when we get back on Thursday, so they can do the transfer on Friday.”


“Will do. Now, Michael…where are you going?” I call out as he puts the comics on the bar.


“Bathroom!” He calls over his shoulder and striding quickly away.


“I do hope they have a bank counter in there.” Vic remarks dryly.


BABYLON - LUNCHTIME


OFFICE


SADE


I sigh and then crack my knuckles, loving the remains of my testosterone and look across at a quietly contemplating Chyna.


“What’s going on in there?” I ask her as she starts to smile.


“Let them do what they want to.” She stands up stretching and waves me quiet as I go to speak. “Whatever happens is not our fault. Not when we have had an inspection...”


“Have we?” I frown, starting to look through the filing cabinet and then turn around at the sound of her kissing her teeth...one of Chyna’s non verbal speech for FFS have some cop on! “So when is the inspection? And then what happens?”


“In three weeks, we at least have some control over when.” I marvel at her ability to think evilly while all the blood is rushing to her head as she is currently in a handstand position.


“Still not understanding.” Tinklebell frowns as he helps her to do a handstand push- up.


Yep, she is royally fucked off. Having transitioned like me she has developed her upper body strength especially, which is why she is so in demand, if she’s asked for a spot it means she’s going to push herself. Having a spotter means they can stop her from almost fainting as she powers on through. “Okay, enough now!” He orders her firmly.


She scowls but does stop and then when she wobbles a little, she looks rightfully embarrassed. “After the inspection, which we will just pass for here, they will make their move, and we let the fuckers fall where they may.”


“But won’t that make us liable?” Tinklebell worries at his lip.


“Nope. Because I have decided to install that revolving stage you always wanted. The poles are going to be fixed, unlike the ones currently, they can’t be loosened, so in order for them to fall…”


“...they are going to have to let go.” I smile. “Which makes it their choice and…”


“...their fault.” Chyna smiles. “But that doesn’t mean I am not going to have tons of fun in the interim. But not until Vic comes back. He’s giving Persnickety the fantods.”


“The what tods?” She has some words, this one has to be made up! “Spell it for me.”


“F-A-N-T-O-D-S.” She smirks, my shoulders slump as I read it on my phone. “Want to share the definition with the rest of the class?” She drawls leaning against the filing cabinet.


“An attack of uneasiness…”


“...so, as I was saying before I was so rudely linguistically interrupted, he’s dragged him to the Sunshine State to see a doctor friend he knows.”


“Which doctor?”


“No doctor. He’s let Ted’s boys in the house to go through it like a dose of salts.”


“I wonder where he got that idea from.”


“No idea at all.” She slides gracefully into a split. “Not got the foggiest.”


PITTSBURGH AIRPORT - SAME TIME


MICHAEL


I lean against the wall just behind the bar and they are still sitting there, I have no fucking idea why we had to come out this early but I have transferred the rent to him, now. Now all I need to do is get my breath back and blame the long queues in the mens!


“There you are Michael!” Ma exclaims as I come around the corner. “Why on earth didn’t you use the one in here it would’ve been quicker. Now we’ve got just enough time for me to hit the shops.”


“But I want a drink.” I gasp.


“No, we’ve got no time. Besides you’d hate to have to queue again wouldn’t you sweetheart?” She asks me sweetly.


“What happened to my comics?” I ask looking at the empty space where they were.


“Oh I have no idea. We were so busy chatting that I never noticed they were gone!” Uncle Vic tells me.


“Where did you get them from anyway, maybe I can get some…”


“The pile near the door in your room. I just grabbed a handful of them.”


I go still and stare at him. “They were my comics, you didn’t buy them for me?”


“Good grief no. I wouldn’t know the first thing.”


I feel a cold chill suffuse my body and I swallow hard. “And which pile did you grab them from?”


“The left.” I almost sag in relief when I hear that. “Or was it the right? I was in such a hurry to get out I can’t remember if I was coming in or going out.”


“Uncle Vic it is very important that you remember, which side.” I almost spit out regretting paying the rent money back!


“What does it matter, a comic is a comic isn’t it?” Ma asks and I hear my neck crick as I turn to face her.


“No Ma, a comic is not a comic. That’s like saying a lasagne is a lasagne. I had a very structured system. Those on the left were the ones that I had just bought and was going to put in my private collection…”


“Who else are you sharing your collection with? Do you have a boyfriend I don’t know about?” Ma teases.


“Yes Ma. You know I am interested in Brian!” I almost snarl at her. “But back to the topic in hand. The right hand pile are those that I am sending out to buyers, so which pile?”


“Oh I remember now, I grabbed some from each.”


I THINK I AM GOING TO BE SICK!


OPERA HOUSE - AFTERNOON


MASTER BEDROOM


BRIAN


I am nice and warm as I watch him sleep. I have heard from my Hollywood contact, so we need to discuss the Brent issue. He is clamped to me like a vine. Even in sleep he has a grip.


“Justin.” I jostle him a bit and get a snuffle and tightening of his arms around my chest. “I need to breathe, brat, and we need to talk about shit stuff.”


“No, having wonderful dream that you are licking my balls.” He mutters, but does open one eye. “What shit stuff?”


“Brent.”


“Urrgh. I can’t do that without coffee and definitely not in here.”


LOUNGE - 10 MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


Feeling pleased that we had the presence of tired mind to set the timer to come on about an hour later than normal, we curl up on the sofa. “So what’s happening?” He asks, plucking at the sleeve of my dressing gown.


“We’ve contacted everyone on the laptop…”


“We?”


“Daph and Cyn have been reaching out with the help of Alexi. Most of them, like he said, had no idea that he was watching them. The filming they were fine with, but the watching not so much.”


“What I don’t understand is what’s the difference between him watching them then or later.”


“A matter of knowing he was there and, more importantly, what he was doing.” I explain, giving him a squeeze. “It’s voyeurism, as they didn’t know he was there.”


“But Alexi did. He could get in trouble. Brent is the type to…”


“Nope. It’s all a matter of definition of watch. He can and will say that he knew Brent watched, just not when. Besides, do I need to worry about you and Alexi? You seem to have changed your tune about him.”


“Only if I have to worry about you and Campbell.” He snickers.


“As lovely as Campbell is, you have nothing to worry about there. But I know a man that does have something to worry about…”


“Brent. Yes we have just…”


“Michael. He watched us. He watched us in the Bubble.”


“Fucker! So he did!"

 

 

 

"What did you do with the tee-shirt?”


“Still in the bag with the rubbish.” He shudders at the memory. “To confront or just press charges.”


“Press charges.” I declare. “Nobody intrudes on our time together without our consent. Nobody.”


He turns around in my arms and looks adoringly up at me. “How the hell did we luck out our first time? Especially after the way we met?”


“Don’t know, just glad that we did.”


OUTSIDE VIC AND DEBS HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


ISLA


“Okay, that was Ted. We’re good to go. Let’s get this fucker!” I open the door, and for the first time since we were called in, I feel like the net is beginning to close around Michael Charles Novotny!


UPMC PRESBYTERIAN HOSPITAL - SAME TIME


SENIOR REGISTRAR’S OFFICE


ALEXI


“Good afternoon, Sirs, can I help you?”


“Yes, I wonder if you can. I have a meeting with Thaddeus Hawkstreek. My name is David Cameron, Dr David Cameron, and this is my colleague, Alexi Diminov.”


“Of course, please take a seat. He won’t be one minute.”


“Actually, could you direct me to the facilities?” I smile winningly at her, and she all but pulls me in there by my tie. I catch David smirking at my discomfort and, no doubt, horrified expression, but then think back to our conversation at the weekend…


Start of flashback

THE WARREN BAR AND BARROW - SUNDAY EVENING


ALEXI


My sides are aching from laughing so much as he tells me all that has happened to the annoying man since he decided to challenge Chyna to a plank. How he is still walking unaided is beyond me. Though having witnessed his scathing tongue, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer man.


“So, Australia, why the comment about winning without you?” I sip my crisp Sauvignon, savouring the taste...Brent could learn a thing a two about choosing wine. There is more to wine than Chardonnay and fully oaked warm Chardonnay at that!


“That’s the prize for the winning dancing Stud pair; a trip to Australia. He’s going to be going with Brian, of course.”


“Which one is Brian?”


“Kinney. The one with Justin.”


My glass pauses midway to my mouth. “As what? Their valet?”


“No, his boyfriend.”


“When he fell on his head, he addled his brain. You could fry an egg on the air between those two such is the heat.”


“There is none so blind as those who will not see.” He sighs. “And he’s nasty with it. What he did to Justin was appalling. Him and Ethan. Turning up at his house like that and telling lies about Brian. I can’t abide spiteful people. Even though I have to admit I wasn’t the most friendliest of people to Chyna and everyone else, but when I saw the way they defend each other, I found it just so comforting. When he called Emmett the f-word. In Babylon - for the second time - Chyna had him banned.”


“Ethan was always jealous of Justin. Looks, talent, kindness and forgiveness...I am still amazed that he has all that.”


“Why? What did you do to Justin?”


After I tell him what I have done, he looks at me carefully. “Well, I personally couldn’t do it…”


“And I would never do it again. I am going to look for a proper and stable relationship, not someone who wants me to do that kind of thing. Though I justified it by saying I had to get it somewhere I did feel grimy.”


“I’ll bet. So you’re into the older man, are you?”


“Not too old, someone round about your age.”


He smiles and then holds up his hand. “Sorry I’ve got to take this. Favour for a friend, I won’t be too long.” I nod, and am about to leave when he waves me back down, so I sit. “David Cameron speaking. Oh, hi Philip, how are you? I’m good thanks. I don’t suppose you’ve found out anything at all. Yeah, I know it was three years ago but...oh you do?! Oh great, what was his name? Thaddeus, seriously Thaddeus? Okay, Thaddeus Hawkstreek. And he’s still there now is he? You are an absolute hero, thank you!”  He hangs up smiling, and then his face falls. “Is everything okay?”


“Did you say Thaddeus Hawkstreek? As in Dr Thaddeus Hawkstreek?”


“Yes. Do you know him?” He frowns, and then his eyes widen when I inhale the remains of my wine.


“Yeah, you could say that. He knew a former friend of mine, not Brent, at least he didn’t bring people like him around. He brought him round for dinner and some light entertainment. Let’s just say he wasn’t so light and I had to make him understand that no meant no.”


“He didn’t…”


“No, not that. He wanted to bareback and I was not happy with that.”


“So what happened?”


“Got out of there really quickly and moved to LA. Never saw either of them again, thank fuck!”


“Sorry to hear you went through that. So where were you before you moved to LA?” He asks, trying to change the subject, and I allow it.


“Here. I’m a Pittsburgh boy. Though I don’t tell many people that.” I laugh, and then stop laughing as he is now staring at me.


“How long ago did you move out to LA?”


“This would be my fourth year over there. Why?”


“Would he remember you?” He starts to smile.


“Yeah, he would, especially the broken cheekbone I gave him.”

End of flashback


ALEXI


I come back into the secretary’s office and she has managed to unbutton two more buttons in my absence. “Shall I go in, or…”


“Of course, straight through.” She flutters her eyelashes hopefully and I shudder inwardly


I clear my throat and knock a couple of times.


“Enter.” A voice calls out that turns my stomach but I take a deep breath and open the door.


“What’s up, doc? Longtime no see. How’s that cheekbone of yours?”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. thanks