- Text Size +

CHAPTER 27 - DOCTOR DOCTOR GIVE ME THE NEWS...PART 2


DR THADDEUS HAWKSTREEK


I subconsciously reach up and touch my cheekbone. There is still a lump, not much of one, but I can feel it, and sometimes see it. I look at Alexi, he is still as gorgeous as ever, a smirk is playing on his lips. He sits down and then says nothing.


“Do I need to reintroduce him as Alexi or the ass that got away?” David asks coldly.


I switch my attention back to him, frowning at his change in demeanour. “Are you two?”


“Not yet.” He taunts me. “We just need to lay this ghost to rest.” David sits back in his seat. “So, do you understand no yet?”


“It was a misunderstanding, his friend implied that he would be amenable to the idea, I was clearly mistaken.”


“Being roundhouse kicked in the face does tend to focus a mind.” David mocks me again.


“So, was that all? You came to see me…”


“Because you signed off on the serious injuries to a one Michael Novotny.” Alexi interrupts. “And we want to know how he got here and got you to play ball? You know, since there was nothing wrong with him.” My mind races, how the hell did they find out about that?! “Was Brandon involved? Where is he anyway? You boys still tight or has he moved onto less tougher meat?” Again that smirk and I wince at the truth of his words. “Yeah, I found out, so where is he?”


“Corpus Christi in Texas.” I grimace. “He went home pretty soon after you ra…”


“Kicked your ass and made you cry.” This time it is David who relishes that. “So, answer the question, how’d you get yours?”


“I…” I pause and wonder how to put this. “...he let me fuck him raw and I let him. Turns out he’s never fucked anyone before and…”


“And that’s it. You falsified a medical report for just a raw fuck? Come on, you don’t expect us to believe that surely?!”


“Like I said, I just got fucked, fucked him and that was all.”


“So, how did he get to you? He was in Alleghany and then transferred here, so how?”


“No idea. He just turned up here.” I reply, but then the door opens and Agnes comes in. She places a piece of paper in front of me and hands them a file. “What are you doing?!”


“I quit.” She snaps. “I hate you! You said you didn’t give it to me! You gave me your fucking word!”


DAVID


What the hell is going on here?! Alexi and I exchange bewildered looks.


“Agnes! What’s that...” Hawkstreek stands to reach for the file but Alexi grabs it from her and steps back.


“You are so fucking lucky it is curable now!” She spits at him. “You said it wasn’t you! I will make you pay, you wanker, I will make you pay!” She has tears in her eyes.


“What did you give her?” I ask, still disbelieving what has just happened.


“Chlamydia.” She sniffs and with a final stinging slap to his face, she stalks out.


“And you wanted to fuck me raw?!” Alexi looks shaken and sickened.


“You wouldn’t have gotten it from me!” He snaps, going red as he rubs his cheek. “I got it off him!”


We stare at each other again bewildered. “Brandon gave you…”


“No! Novotny did, he gave it to me and…”


“You passed it on! What the fuck is wrong with you?!” I exclaim, and, I don’t know why, but I stand closer to Alexi and give his arm a gentle squeeze.


“Apart from the fact that I too have chlamydia you mean? Oh yes I am one of those lucky people for who it keeps coming back! As for passing it on, I didn’t realise until she got it that I had it.”


“Want me to read that?”  I ask him, taking the file away from him.


“Please.” He says quietly and sits down before glowering at Thaddeus. “And what?”


“What?” He looks up after reading the paper she put in front of him.


“You said he gave it to me and...and what?”


“$5K. I cut my losses after that.” He smirks a little.


“As a matter of interest, Thaddeus…” Alexi glares at him. “...does Michael know about it, the chlamydia I mean?”


“No, but he sure knew about the trichomonas.” He grimaces. “Just after I got my money he told me that would be my first and last payment. If I came back to him, he would say I infected him with it.”


“Jesus.” I whisper.


“Does he have a copy of this?”


“Not anymore. After he got his payment he burned it. Well, that’s what he told me he did.”


“How long between fuck and payment was it?” I have never felt so repulsed by one man in my life.


“The fucking was the night he got here and the payment was about 3 months later.”


“You’re going to have to tell him about the chlamydia.” Alexi tells him firmly.


“No I don’t.” Thaddeus sneers. “And no I won’t. He infected me not the other way around!”


“You have a duty of care!” I snarl.


“And I have exercised it on those who needed to know. It was a one night thing for Agnes and me, and, like I said, I didn’t realise until after she got it! At least she won’t be asking for a reference!” He grins flapping the paper in the air. “She’s waived her right to one.”


“Is that all you care about?” I demand, and am about to say something else, when the door is yet again opened. “Excuse me but…”


“I have just spoken to Agnes.” A tall heavy set man talks over me. “Needless to say you are in a shit load of trouble, Thaddeus.” He swallows hard and his face is now looking decidedly green and clammy. “You do realise that you have your medical with me, tomorrow morning at 9am sharp. I have your form from last year, and I don’t believe you disclosed that…”


“Yes I did!” He says hurriedly. “I just stated the diagnosis was later than it was.”


“Oh, so that’s okay then, is it? I said to her to watch you and keep double copies of everything!” He turns to us and smiles. “If you need anything else that isn’t covered in that file, please let me know. I’m Andrew, Agnes’s brother. And a very protective one at that.”


“Andr...” He begins only to be cut off by a withering look.


“9am sharp. Don’t make me have to come and find you!” He turns back to us. “Here’s my card, if you need anything else.”


“Thanks.” I shake his hand and with one more glacial smirk at Thaddeus he stalks out. I look down at his card and gasp. “Oh dear God, you idiot!” I chortle and hand the card to Alexi who stares at it for a few minutes in confusion. “He’s a proctologist.”


Thaddeus sinks into his seat all arrogance gone. “I won’t be able to sit down for a week!”


“You gave his sister chlamydia and lied about it...no you did lie.” He cuts off whatever he was going to say. “I am thinking more like a month. Be grateful he’s not a plastic surgeon.” Alexi jeers as he stands up. “He could be tempted to sew you shut!” He looks at me. “Can we go now?”


“Sure, no problem.” I open the door and steer him out, he’s very quiet as we make out way out of the hospital and into a cab.


After half an hour of silence, he finally turns to me. “Why did you say and do that?”


“Didn’t like the way he looked at you.”


“Well thanks. So what does it say?” He indicates the file.


“Let’s go to my office and look over it properly.”


KINNETIC - NEXT MORNING


TED’S OFFICE


TED


I look at the file that is in front of me and back at David. “So, can we get him with this?”


“Not necessarily. Not unless we can get Hawkstreek to co-operate, and I don’t think he will.”


“But there is basis for reasonable doubt, and his claim to be investigated? I mean the fact that he discharged himself and made his own way to another hospital has to show that he wasn’t as grievously injured as he made out?” I can feel my heart sinking.


“What we need is for someone to perform a medical on him and there is no way that he’s going to allow that.” David sighs.


“Let’s hope that Vic has more luck then.” I lament. “Keep everything that can be crossed tightly crossed.”


He nods and I pray.


OLD CARRABELLE HOTEL - SAME TIME


THE MONKEY BAR


MICHAEL


Jesus, this place is like a mausoleum! It is filled with either aging queens and their beloved ones or, it seems to be a special on, wedding parties. And on top of that, I have the sheer delight of having to share a room with Uncle Vic! His treat he said, if he wants to treat me, then my own room would’ve been great! He likes to sleep in late and go to bed early, so I can’t even watch the movies. Despite asking twice, Ma is refusing to swap with me! It’s not as if she’s going to be getting any action herself...at least I have a fighting chance!


“Michael, are you listening?” Ma demands and I force myself to look at her. “So we’re agreed then?”


“Agreed to what? I wasn’t listening, I was thinking about the comics that Uncle Vic lost.” I look across at him as he comes back from the bar with our drinks.


“Now, Michael, you know that’s not true. You put them down…”


“But if he hadn’t taken them, I wouldn’t have them to put down in the first place!” I reiterate for the fifth time. Despite double checking, they couldn’t find them. The barman did hope that my child wouldn’t be too disappointed!  I look at the tray as he puts it down, and yet again it’s a soft drink for me, despite me telling him three times that I am not on meds. Sighing, I get up and take it with me back to the bar to get some liquor added to it!


VIC


I snicker into my whisky mac as he heads to the bar. “So, what’s he been saying? Still blaming me for the comic loss?”


“But of course.” She laughs, taking her beer. “What did you do with them anyway?”


“They’re on their way back home.” She frowns at me. “Remember that package I had to drop off before I went…” She nods and then smiles. “...yeah, that was them!”


“Have you heard from Ted at all?”


“No, he said not before Thursday at least. Now, for the next stage of our trip…” I look across as he has finally been served and is coming back. I say nothing until he sits down and looks balefully around. “So, the doctor appointments have been booked...”


“I told you I don’t need the doctors Uncle Vic, I have just been a little clumsy.” He grouses.


“That’s as maybe but I am due my medical, your Ma is having hers done where’s the harm in…”


“Why are you having a medical, Ma, is something wrong?”


Your concern for me is duly noted.


“Nothing, honey. I always have my medical around this time.” She lies smoothly, he’s too self-absorbed to notice anyway.


“Oh I see. As I said…”


“It is a basic medical, Michael, what’s the problem?!” I say, exasperated. “Anyone would think you have something to hide.”


He looks narked, as Chyna would say, and locks eyes with me. “I have nothing to hide, I just don’t think it is necessary!”


“Every gay man, in fact every person, should have a medical once a year. They draw your blood and just do general stuff, it’s less than half an hour and his office is really close. So you can get them replaced.”


“Close to what?” He looks so sick and tired of this conversation.


“Past Present Future Comics. It is supposed to be...”


“That is one of the best comic book stores in Florida!” He declares...oh that got your attention didn’t it?! “What time is our appointment?” He questions eagerly.


Our is it now?


“Well you’re after us so 1130, you should be done by 1245 the latest and that…”


“Oh I would need much longer than that in a store of this magnitude! What time are your appointments?”


“Mine is 9.30 and hers is straight after. Do you want to swap? If so, who with?”


“You, I want to be first and then can get in there and really root around.”


“Sure Michael, we’ll swap no problem.” I tell him smiling once more into my drink.

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks