- Text Size +

CHAPTER 28 - ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK AND TIME TO TOAST


BRENT ASHER’S OFFICES, LOS ANGELES - LATE THURSDAY AFTERNOON


BRENT


I have been wining and dining the US rep for the Sydney Opera people, and have managed to put them off. I have said that Justin is currently sick, so can’t talk to them right now. It’s partially true, he is wholeheartedly sick of me, that’s for sure! I still can’t understand his reaction to it, but so far all his boyfriend has done is send those two vultures to pick over my collection. I have been calling around my other orchestral friends to make sure that Alexi’s name is lower than shit in our world. He will never play again! As I pull up outside the back door, I smile to myself. I wonder what, or who, I will make him do to get back in my good books.


I open the back door, and Naomi comes flying down the corridor. “Crisis!” She hisses, and shoves me into what seems to be the broom cupboard and almost pulls it closed, she takes a breath and stares coldly at me. “What the fuck have you been doing?!”


“Went to see the Sidney people and…”


“Well you can forget that! Have you been listening to the grapevine at all?!”


“No, just get to the point!” I snap. Sometimes she does make things sound far worse than they are. “What has happened between the time that I called you to say I was on my way, to the time I got here?”


“They have pulled out.” She retorts. “They, oddly, enough, do not want to be associated with a suspected Peeping Tom!” She glares at me and my mouth drops open. “Anything to say now, Mr Runshismouth?!”


“What are you talking about Peeping Tom? I am not a Peeping…” I trail off as the door is yanked open and Charlie Meadham the lead violinist of the Chicago Philharmonic is standing there and, without warning, knees me hard in the stomach.


“You fucking fucker of a creep!” He hisses as I try to get my breath back and keep my lunch down. “How could you do that to us?!”


I try to use his body to straighten up, but he steps back and I end up sprawled on the floor. It’s then I hear the unmistakable sounds of flashbulbs popping and look up to find my corridor is filled with a raging press pack. Naomi virtually kicks me out of the cupboard and steps over me.


“Gentlemen! Gentlemen! As I said, Mr Asher will take questions momentarily. Now, please return to the main reception.” While grumbling, they do as they are bid. “Mr Meadham, I let you have your shot, now please can you go to reception?”


His shot?!


I slowly sit up and wait for it to be just us. “His shot?!” I wheeze.


“Yes. He and his boyfriend didn’t appreciate you watching them with Alexi during their fuck session not after it!”


“Alexi? What has that whore being saying?!” I demand, finally being able speak and breathe at the same time. “Is the press here because of him?”


“No, they are here because of Chris. Alexi sent him the video of them with his apologies, and if you’re lucky he won't have you arrested. While you wait for him to finish what he wants to say memorise this!” She hands me a piece of paper and I look at it in horror. “You will say that, pray that he has only sent it to Chris, but if he hasn’t…” She adjusts her skirt and neatens her lipstick. “...I hope you have enough to live on and pay my retainer as per our legally enforceable agreement.”


DR PHRISSOM’S OFFICE - SAME TIME


DR PHRISSOM


I look up now that he has arrived for his 3pm appointment at 4.30pm. “You’re late.”


“I got distracted.” He retorts, and puts a couple of bags on the floor. “So what is it you needed me to come back for?”


“Perhaps it would be best if you sat down, Mr Novotny.” I gesture at the chair.


“Could we just get on with this? The store closes at seven and I have dinner plans at…”


“You have chlamydia.” I tell him, and that shuts him up. “Seems you have had it for a few years, and it doesn’t seem to have been treated. Want to sit down now?” He sinks into the seat. “When was the last time you had unprotected sex, Mr Novotny?”


He is just staring into space for a while before he focuses on me. “Not for a few years. Are you sure?”


“Yes, I am sure. It’s good you’ve not had unprotected sex since, but you still need to tell any sexual partners you have had about it…” Judging by that sour look it is a short list. “...I can treat it, but it will keep coming back.”


“I don’t understand. How was this missed by my doctor in the Pitts?”


“Did you ask for him to test for it?” I ask, he’s not the only one that thinks that doctors should be able to just tell that there is something wrong with you...so annoying! “Unless you told him about the symptoms you had, then he wouldn’t have known to check for it.”


“But I was in a cast because of my accident and…”


“Mr Novotny there is more to tell you. Can you please concentrate on what I am saying…”


BRITIN - THURSDAY EVENING


LOUNGE


BRIAN


I look up as he comes in and put the paper that I was reading down. “Where’d you get that?” I ask softly, as I take in the vision of him in leather shorts and a seductive smile.


“Chyna. This is what we’re going to be wearing on competition night.” He turns around and shows me the snugness that is his butt. “She showed it to the crowd at Babylon remember? I haven’t put the mask on…” He turns back to face me and frowns. “What’s that look for?”


“I would’ve remembered seeing those.” I say slowly as I walk around him. “And you are most definitely not wearing that anywhere but here or the Opera House.”


“Oh, thank you!” He throws his arms around my waist and kisses me in his favourite soft spot, which is just above my Adam’s apple. “Perhaps you could use your powers of advertising persuasion to get her to put us in something just as form fitting but longer?” He looks up at me. “I am very possessive of your hazelbutt.”


“Hazelbutt?” I look down at him and try not to smile at the endearment he has just given my ass and try to think of a suitable one for his, and all I can think of is mine. I cup said butt and pull him closer. “Okay, let’s see what I can do. Later. Right now you need to stand still…”


“Why, it’s a bit cold in this…” He pouts.


I slide down his body and pause to take the zip of his shorts down at the same time. “You’ll heat up.” I singsong and start to peel off those shorts.


“Mmmm.” He moans as I ghost his cock with my breath. “I see what you mean.”


VIC’S HOUSE - FRIDAY LUNCHTIME


KITCHEN


VIC


He hasn’t said a word since we got back home. It’s as if he’s in a trance. I look across at Debs as we hear his footsteps on the stairs and she nods. Time to find out what’s wrong.


“Morning, sweetheart.” Debs says as usual and he glares at her.


“And what exactly is good about it?!” He challenges sharply as he searches for a cup, and hopefully, his manners.


“Michael…” Debs warns...oh I am so glad she did that because I was about to!


“I have chlamydia!” He barks out and bursts into tears.


Debs and I give each other astounded looks. “How? When? Where did you get it from?” She demands, panicked.


“Some years back!” He snivels. “Why didn’t the doctor pick up that I had that, let alone that strain?!” He wails sitting down hard. “Ma, can you do the coffee and some breakfast? I am too traumatised!”


“Michael, I will make your coffee. But the breakfast you will have to do yourself. Vic and I have to go to the diner and then…”


“The diner is more important than me, your son and nephew?!” He exclaims turning his blotchy tear stained face to us.


“Yes.” I retort, and he looks incredulous. “Have you only just found out the news?”


“No, found out just before dinner yesterday and…”


“You are not going to play the sick boy sympathy card now that you are home! So, come along…” I interrupt his about-to-spout wave of entitlement briskly. “...what did the doctors say?”


“Ouch, Ma, what the fuck?!” He rubs the back of his head and then his hand when the coffee slops onto it.


“Un-pro-tect-ted sex! That’s how you get it! So when did you get so stupid?!”


“Over three years ago!” He bellyaches. “It’s not a recent diagnosis, but it will keep coming back according to the doctor. But it explains a couple of things.”


“Like what?” I sigh.


“Remember those bouts of illness when I had a fever and shivery, always queasy and puking, achy muscles and joints, chest pain, felt really weak and tired, had the shits, the cough, and almost couldn’t breathe and my eyes hurt because of the light?”


“Yes frequently.” I reply tightly as I remembered him taking to his bed and us being at his whiny beck and call and I almost regret not believing him.


“Well, those were when I was having my…” He pauses and pulls out a piece of paper from his dressing gown pocket. “...chlamydia psittaci episodes. It’s very rare and…”


“Has he given you medicine for it?” Debs interrupts and he nods. “Right, so it’s treatable, which is the most important thing. You won’t be doing it raw ever again, now will you? That’s unless you want to see if you can get HIV?!”


“Ma! That’s so crass!” He looks at me sympathetically.


“It’s so honest. So was Rodney, he admitted that he was an asshole and reckless. But once he found out, he was careful. We both were and…”


“You had sex with him?!” He gasps. “But he had a highly contagious disease!”


“So do you, Rasputin!” I bark back. “Are you ready, Debs?”


“Yeah, let me get my coat.” She heads out, and he just stares from me to her retreating back.


“Are you seriously going to the diner now?”


“Yes. It is not going to run itself.” I sigh and follow Debs out.


BRENT ASHER’S OFFICE - FRIDAY LATE EVENING



BRENT


I lift my weary head from my desk when I hear a knock at my door and it’s Naomi. She leans against the jamb and stares at me with a mixture of pity and disgust. “Was it worth it, to get your rocks off watching someone getting their rocks off? I mean, I could understand watching it later, because watching porn is watching porn, but at the time, that’s just fucking creepy!”


“I’m too tired and relieved to answer that, suffice to say I did and it works for me. How the hell did you persuade them all to sign the NDA?”


“I am known as the best in the business for a reason.” She smirks. “And you are an idiot!”


“Why?” I frown.


“I have wanted out of this contract for years. And now I can walk away with my retainer and professional reputation intact!”


“But I have made you a very rich woman, why wouldn’t you want that to continue?!” I can’t quite comprehend how I have lost most of my clients but this was due to mutual agreement and now my PR rep!


“Because I don’t, plain and simple as that. I just don’t! Oh, don’t worry, I am sure there is someone in the business who will represent you, but they will never be as good as me!”


I watch her gather her things and saunter out as if she’s not just left me in the fucking lurch! I sigh and reach for my phone, let’s see who I can hire to replace her…two hours later the answer is loud and clear...nobody!


NAOMI’S APARTMENT - AN HOUR LATER


LOUNGE


NAOMI

 

I kick off my shoes and reread the termination agreement and smile, then I reach across for my phone but decide that calling Justin can wait. I have always hated the way that he treated him, and wanted an opportunity to set up my own agency. I chuckle when I think of how we played Brent beautifully.


Him getting Alexi to do the sending was a masterstroke by his boyfriend, and what a boyfriend! Once that shit hit the fan, then that was it. It was Justin that told him who to send it to and, of course, he would pick Chris Meadham. Not only is he out and proud, but he’s the most private, vengeful, litigious and hot tempered of his clients! He would’ve made sure that everyone knew! Justin got his revenge, Alexi came away clean, and I got the hell out of that cesspit of Dodge!


TED’S APARTMENT - SUNDAY MORNING


LOUNGE


TED


I sigh and look through the paperwork. Still nothing that irrevocably says fraud. Without Hawkstreek, we have a blurry picture and hypotheses. We were so close, but him having a ticket to the Mardi Gras proves absolutely nothing nefarious. Isla was so crestfallen! I head to the door to open it when it knocks and David, Vic and Debs are outside and they are all grinning!


“Before you start to tell me what’s made you look like that, what do you want to drink?”


“I’ve brought it with me!” David exclaims, waving a box from which I can hear clinking. “Clear a space and get your coupes out!” He chortles, heading to the counter.


“What’s wrong with him?” I whisper to Vic who smiles enigmatically before nudging me to open the door as it knocks again, and when I do it’s Alexi. Now I am definitely intrigued by his appearance, and especially the thing in his arms.


“Come on, Ted! Glasses! We are celebrating!” David declares as he takes out a bottle of champagne, vodka, clementines and what looks like orange juice. He opens the champagne with a flourish, so I hurry to get the glasses out.


“Okay, want to tell me what this is about?” I look at all three of them and then gawk as Alexi brushes David’s side to get him to move him out of the way. “And what that’s about?!”


“Michael has chlamydia.” David crows and then looks almost contrite. “Sorry Debs, Vic, but he does!”


“And this is significant because?”


“Hawkstreek has chlamydia and it is the same very rare strain, chlamydia psittaci, so rare in fact that it is virtually impossible for him to have gotten it from anyone but Michael. So, having spoken to Dr Hawkstreek, he has produced and signed this!”


With another flourish he hands me a letter and start to read, I pick up the bottle of vodka and take two big gulps of it. “He’s admitted that he falsified the report?!!” I splutter and he nods grinning. “So, we have him? We’ve got Michael? He will…”


“Not quite.” David sobers a bit.


“Oh, why the fuck not now?!” I whine and then blush.


“We have just one more piece missing. The discharge papers from Alleghany, they are trying to find them.”


“Why do you need them? He’s said that he falsified the report, what more do you need?!”


“We need the papers to prove that Michael signed himself out. However, a friend in the UPMC has confirmed that Michael had registered with the UPMC prior to the accident.”


“So…”


“It’s another red flag.” Alexi explains, wresting the vodka bottle gently from my grip. “And I have been in touch with Brandon, he remembers Michael Novotny very well. Doesn’t like him and…”


“When did you get in touch with Brandon?” David asks, looking a little crestfallen.


“While you were at the bar. Now smile, there is nothing there.” He holds David’s chin up until he gives him a small smile. “Good. Now back to this turd. So, Brandon doesn’t like him and is going to contact one of his former colleagues in archives and they might be able to find the papers.” He starts to grin wider. “But there is one thing that Brandon said about Michael that always stuck with him. He walked everywhere all the time, no matter the weather, he walked….”


“Oh yeah!” Debs rolls her eyes. “He always did! Said why pay for someone to drive you or waste petrol when he has two perfectly good…” She pauses and her eyes widen.


“Legs.” Alexi finishes. “Our friend at UPMC pulled a couple of favours and got the video footage of his arrival. He walked in...the cameras start from Forbes Avenue and they continue up to the front door...he walked.”


“So, now all we have to do is wait for the friend of Brandon and a court order for the footage, and he is toast!” Vic laughs; I can’t help but frown at his enthusiasm for the downfall of his nephew and he notices. “He treated Rodney abominably in the last few years of his life, wiping everything he touched before he would use it. That’s why I moved out and…”


“Vic! Why didn’t you tell me?! I would’ve kicked that habit right into touch!” Debs wails, tears glistening in her eyes. “Shameful!”


“Because Rodney was my main concern, my love and my heart, and he said that no deed goes unpunished - or unrewarded. See, Rodney, you were right. He said at the time, something is not right with that accident. He did say it.”


“We have to do one more thing!” David starts to open up cupboards and I clear my throat to get his attention. "Sorry, Ted, first taste the clementinis and then point me to plates for the basket that Alexi has.” All eyes swivel to the basket as he slowly unwraps it. Well, I say all eyes, but David is looking adoringly...yeah that’s it adoringly...at Alexi’s face, he in turn occasionally looks shyly at him.


“Earth to David, stop drowning in his eyes and tell us what’s in here!” Debs laughs, and they both go red.


“Caviar and truffle basket, do you have blinis or crackers, Ted?” He asks, and I nod, pointing to the relevant cupboard. “Aha! I got gifted this but never had an occasion to open it until now!”



I sigh as the smell of truffle permeates the room, and then sip my cocktail...your time has come and your ass is mine, Michael, mine! And not in a positive, life-affirming way!




https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/clementinis

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive, if reviewing. Thanks