- Text Size +

CHAPTER 44 - REPERCUSSIONS


MICHAEL AND ETHAN’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


ETHAN


I am putting away the remains of the dinner from last night in the fridge when he comes in. I ignore him. I hear the click of the coffee machine and the sound of two mugs being placed on the counter.


“Ethan…” I face him. “...what I did last night was…”


“A bitch ass jealous move? Which I was totally prepared for, what I wasn’t expecting was you to get to…”


“We both behaved in an inappropriate way.”


“You more than me since you weren’t supposed to be there in the first place.”


“You could’ve kicked me out!”


“Would you have left?!”


“No, but you didn’t ask me to leave, so that is your fault!”


I hold onto the counter tightly. Never has a man angered me as much as he did last night!


“Michael, I warned you not to use me in your schemes, and promised retribution if you did. It is done.” I straighten up and start to walk out, but he stands in front of me. “Move out of the way.”


“Ethan, you forget…”


“Frozen assets, unable to travel out of the country, unable to be anywhere near your main object of desire, an infectious pariah within the community…”


“My attorney reassures me that those orders are temporary and…”


“The only benefit of that disaster is that you get to see Noel again...” He looks surprised. “...from far far away. Seems he doesn't like the sound of chlamydia pesticatti. Or…”


“What do you mean? How would he even have heard about that?”


“Because I told him.” I lick my lips with relish. “In fact, I have told him absolutely everything about you.” I step around him. “You should really stop being such a chatterbox. As the saying goes; when your friend becomes your foe, all your secrets the world will know.


“You didn’t?” He quavers.


“No I didn’t...” I snicker.


“Why would you say such a cruel thing?!”


“Cruel? This word from you? You should let people finish their sentences. I didn’t tell him, I texted him, from your phone, so you told him. His response was pretty damning! He likes your refreshing honesty, but he doesn’t want to see you again.” His eyes narrow and I point to his phone, which he left on the table, before flouncing to bed. “Read it and weep.”


“You don’t know my code.”


“Asking or telling me?” I heckle, and then my phone rings. I stroke my goatee when I see who it is. “Hello, Noel…” I smirk as his face falls. “...first let me explain last night. Michael has been under a lot of pressure and...oh, he did? Oh, I didn’t realise he had said that, but I feel I must apologise for my part. It was rather embarrassing that I got sucked into a row, but like I said, it had been boiling up for some time.” He doesn’t look convinced, time to play my final card. “I understand. Yes, I will tell him that as kindly as I can. Oh, don’t worry about me, he’s not dangerous, now that he’s unburdened himself he’s got some perspective. Yes, I will see you next week then. Bye.”


“And what did Noel have to say?” He puts one of the mugs back.


“He’s blocked your number.”


“Of course he has.”


“Call him and see. I dare you.”


He ostensibly picks up his phone, dials the number, and puts it on speaker; This number has been blocked by the recipient. Please hang up.


“Like I said, Michael, you were warned, and now it is done! And now that you know the truth of his words, hear this: I have another date with him next week, but this time I am not telling you where or when. So, if you want to find out, you will just have to follow me around like a blind dog looking for a steak. It’s not as if you have anything else to do...or anyone to not do it with.”


“I want you out of here!” He shouts.


“Fine, but whoever will you find to pay the rent? Assets frozen, disliked, parasitic...remember?”


“Keep out of my way, Ethan! Keep out of my way! Like I said to Justin, and I am saying to you, you need those hands of yours for your career.  You’d better lock your door every day, I would hate for anything to happen to the love of your life, after yourself of course!”


“At least I like and love myself as opposed to the loathing that seeps from each and every pore of you! Most people are self-abasing, but not you, you’re self-basting!”


I walk backwards to the stairs, waving as I go while he stands there looking punch drunk and acrimonious. My work here is done!


INTEGRITY FINANCIAL SERVICES - AN HOUR LATER


TED’S OFFICE


TED


“Thank you. Yes, I will pass that on.” I put the phone down and punch the air in delight.


“Good news?” Isla chuckles.


“His assets remain frozen and he has to report to the station twice a week now, so that means they will not be returning his passport!”


“Was there ever a chance that could be reversed?” She raises an eyebrow.


“Nope, but…” I drum my fingers on the desk. “...because of everything and now Marilyn’s suit, they have decided to run them consecutively, with...wait for it...the same judge and jury!”


“You are joking?!”


“Nope. The DA has gotten special dispensation!” I lean back in my chair and look heavenwards before clearing my throat. “The only downside it that is to be held behind closed doors. Brief statements to the press afterwards, but no full disclosure until verdicts are reached.”


“But that works in our favour, doesn’t it?”


“How?”


“He can’t play to the wider audience. They aren’t distracted and can focus only on him.”


“I just worry with Marilyn’s case that…”


“Ted, take a step back. If this wasn’t about Jerry or if it wasn’t Michael, would you have done the audit?”


“Of course, what a question! I am always impartial...but I have to admit that I was particularly zealous in my efforts.”


“If someone killed my friend I would be zealous too.”


Isla has been my right hand woman for many a year now, normally she is not a field agent, as it were, but as this was too close to me, I needed fresh eyes. But this is the first time I have seen her relaxed and happy. Normally, she’s almost rigid in her countenance, no longer is that the case.


“I hear congratulations are in order.” She grins at me, which takes me by surprise.


“For?”


“You being in love.” She grins wider. “I’m so happy for you, Ted, you deserve it.”


“Who…” I trail off embarrassed.


“Well, first it’s obvious how you and Blake feel about each other, and, secondly…”


I put my hand up. “Emmett told you?”


“Yes, he told me!” She giggles.


“So what about you and Chyna? That seems to be going well.”


“It is. She is, well, one of the...well she just is.” She blushes furiously. “The thing is, she...um...she wants a picture for her phone, and so far…”


“You’ve managed to put her off, but now she’s said it’s a picture or she wears that other playsuit with the shoes that you are a little tense about?”


Her jaw drops open.


“Emmett can’t resist a piece of loving gossip.” I get up and sit on the edge of her desk. “What does she like about you, your face I mean?”


“She says I have great eyes and lovely lips.” She is almost as red as a strawberry! “I was thinking of this one.”



“That is perfect! And from a purely aesthetic point of view, she’s right. There are men that would kill for lips like that!”


“There! Done!” She puts her phone down. “And when I get back to hers, I am going to take those playsuits out of her wardrobe!”


I chuckle my way back to my desk and pick up the balled up piece of paper she threw and drop it in the bin. “Mind like a steel trap, but throws like a drunk two year old!”


NOEL’S HOUSE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


TINKLEBELL


I can hear him calling out to hold on. There is no way I am leaving now! I have been given permish to sprinkle my fiery dust and sprinkle I shall! When the door opens, Noel grins and pulls me inside, much to my surprise!


“So how?!” He demands as he indicates that I should follow.


“How what?” I ask guardedly as we end up in his walk-in, which I want to move to my house!



“How do I, as Noel, get a lady like Daph on a date?”


“Try asking me?”


We both freeze at the sound of Daph’s voice and slowly turn around.


“Um, what are…” Noel stammers to a mortified halt.


“Returning your tee. I said I was coming around about now, and Tinklebell didn’t close the door properly.”


For what seems like centuries nobody says a word. “Noel, this is where you ask her!” I whisper.


“Oh, of course! Naomi, I mean Daphne, would you like to go on a date with me Naomi, I mean Noel!”


“Pitiful!” I sigh and sit down.


“No.”


“What?! Why not?!” I shriek and stand up again.


“Because I can’t go on a date with Noel without Naomi, you come as a pair. So try that question again.”


“Will you go on a date with us?”


“Yes.” She smiles as shyly as he does.


“So now what do I do?!” I bitch, and they look confused. “I was hoping to set the pair of you up, but like the DATE and Q-BATTE you’ve done it yourselves!”


“Want to be my wingman?” Noel asks...me!


“Hell to the what now?!” Daph demands.


“No! Not for that! Let me show you something that Michael sent to me.” We read the text in shock and there is a confused silence as we take it in. “And I am wondering why he has become Captain Candid? So I am going on a date with Ethan to try and find out why.”


“Well yeah, it does seem a little off.” I frown.


“That’s because he didn’t send it, Ethan did.” Daph pronounces.


“Again, hell to the what now?” Noel demands.


“He’s done it before, not via text but in other ways. If he found out that someone, Justin especially, was interested in a guy he liked, he sabotaged him before he could get close. Not that he would’ve done, being the workaholic that he is.”


“Well that explains that then. But now I am regretting the date!”


“I shall be your wingman, end of discussion!” I tell him before grinning at Daph. “I promise to bring him back safe and sound and unmolested!”


“Good, because if he’s not, I will be pissed!”


“Yes ma’am” We chorus.


DAVID’S CONDO - TWO DAYS LATER, EVENING


LOUNGE


DAVID


I am covered in sweat and trembling, but have never felt as alive as I do right now!


“How’d that feel?” Alexi hands me a towel.


“Superb, absolutely superb!”


“You do realise you now have one don't you?” He waggles his eyebrows.


“One what?”


“Six pack…” He purrs. “...a very nice six pack.”


“I still can’t believe that I did that. A seven minute plank!”


“See what happens when you keep practicing?” He stands up and puts out his hand to help me up. “Now, water in both ways...glass of and then shower.” He laughs at my frowning. “And to think Michael turned all of that…” He gestures at me. “...down.”


I blush in the face of his fulsome praise. “Speaking of Michael, he and Ethan have had a spectacular falling out over Noel.”


“Noel? What does...who is Noel?”


“Noel is...of course! You haven’t been here for the last few weeks! It’s been all go! Let’s grab some water and I will catch you up...”


Twenty minutes later he is staring completely flummoxed. “A man? Naomi is a man?!”


“Yep! Not even Justin twigged, it was Chyna who noticed.”


“Well fuck me!” He exclaims, and then starts to laugh.


“What’s funny?”


“Brent once said that if only Naomi was a ballbusting guy, he would’ve arranged a play date.” I try not to tense up but he catches it and reaches across to remove the glass from my hand and scoots closer. “I can understand your wariness and worry, but I…”


“I could do an open relationship with conditions, if that’s what you want…” I rush out.


“What?!” He looks scandalised and, hurt. “Is that how you see me...see us?!”


“No! I don’t! I shouldn’t have suggested that! It’s just…”


“What is just?! You think I was fucking around when I was away?!”


“I didn’t know what you were doing! You just said you had to be away, and I barely heard from you!”


“This is how I work when I’m composing!”


“Oh, well I didn’t know that! If you had told me you were…”


“And how the fuck would it be a surprise if I said I was writing a piece for you?!”


“A piece...you were?”


“All you had to do, if you wanted to know what I was doing, was fucking ask! I would've said that it’s a gift for you!” He stands abruptly and steps back from my reaching hand. “Excuse me, I am going back to my place!”


“Alexi! Wait a second, I didn’t…”


“Yes you do and no you can’t!”


“Alexi, can you just sit down, to at least explain what you have just said?”


“What’s there to explain, though you went on a date with Novotny so there is clearly something going on with your brain cells! What I mean is you do see me as a courtesan, which was fine when you and only you were reaping the benefits, but I go and do my actual job, you can’t trust me. And is your phone broken?!”


“No, it works fine.” I mutter knowing exactly what he is going to say. “And yes I could’ve and should’ve called you. But…”


“You didn’t trust me!” He stands up again. “Like I said, going…”


“You are going nowhere!” I bellow at him but he just sniffs derisively and walks out.


ALEXI


I am so fucking hurt! He still thinks that I am the guy I was with Brent! I get into the lift and sigh, and of course the one time I just want to get the fuck out of here, it stops on virtually every floor! Although he lives in the penthouse condo, he shares the lift with the building. I look at my feet and try to work out how to tell Chyna that I can’t be in the orchestra anymore. Once again, we stop, this is interminable, I rest my head against the wall and close my eyes.


I...I did not...hang on…” My eyes fly open and there in just his work out shorts and barefoot is David, panting heavily. “...run down to catch the lift…” pant-pant-pant. “...for you to not listen to my abject and…” pant-pant-pant. “...heartfelt apology. I fucked up, seriously fucked up…I…” pant-pant. “...just never had a you interested in me.”


“A you what the hell is that supposed to fucking mean?! What you am I?!”


“My rightfully fucking fucked off boyfriend, who I want to make this right with!” My heart skips a beat. “I should’ve done everything you said I should’ve and didn’t.” He sighs. “You’re my first…”


“Told you he was a virgin.” Someone whispers, I look around the lift. There are four guys, an elderly lady, me and him.


“Not that first!” He snaps over his shoulder. “First boyfriend. Too focused on work and still can’t believe you are interested in me. And for you to write a...composition for me, well, I just…”


“You hurt me.”


“I know.”


We stare at each other, both unsure as to what to do next.


“First boyfriend, first major row, and now the fun bit...” The elderly lady chuckles and nudges him in the ribs.


“Fun bit?”


“Make up sex!” She says slowly, and then turns to me. “Son, I am 85 years old, just kiss him already! He’s sorry, you can see that surely?”


“Yes, but if you do that…”


“I won’t! Trust me, I won’t! Will you come back upstairs?”


“Yes.” Is my simple reply as the lift stops on the next floor and I start to follow him out.


“Where’s the kiss?!” The elderly lady demands.


I look at David and jerk my head, so he steps back in, kisses her on the cheek, and steps out again; the door closes on her embarrassed but pleased expression, her hand pressed to her cheek and a chorus of awwws!


DAVID


We stand by the lift in silence and I breathe as his fingers start to entwine in mine. “First boyfriend then?”


“Well yes.”


“I’m glad.” Alexi whispers. “You are my first too, everything with Brent was just sex and I don’t want that with you...do you understand?”


He nods but then frowns. “But I need to clarify something; we’re still having make-up sex, right?”


“You did not just ask me that?!” He guffaws.


OPERA HOUSE - EARLY DAWN


JUSTIN


I shiver slightly as I head to the roof. I can definitely hear music, as I reach the top of the stairs, I stop and stare, Brian has his own Evelyn but in guitar form! I sit down, as he checks the paper in front of him, and hope he doesn’t notice me, I wonder what he’s doing when he strums the guitar and begins to sing:


Lay, my brat, lay, lay across my big brass bed

Lay, my brat, lay, lay across my big brass bed

Whatever colors you have in your mind

I'll show them to you and you'll see them shine

Lay, my brat lay, lay across my big brass bed

Stay, Justin, stay, stay with your man awhile

Until the break of day, let me see you make me smile

My clothes are dirty but yours, your hands are clean

And you're the best thing that I’ve ever seen

Stay, Justin, stay, stay with your man awhile

Why wait any longer for the world to begin

You can have your cake and eat it too

Why wait any longer for the one you love

When I’m standing in front of you

Lay, Justin, lay, lay across my big brass bed

Stay, Justin, stay, stay while the night is still ahead

I long to see you in the morning light

I long to reach for you in the night

Stay, my brat stay, stay while the night is still ahead


“I hope he will like that.” He says quietly.


“I love it.” I call out as I approach him. “How long have you been playing guitar?”


“My teens.” He replies as he puts it back in its case and I join him on the sofa bed.


“Come here, Dylan, come here and be made love to.”

Chapter End Notes:

Brian's song is reworded from the original song by Bob Dylan, Lay Lady Lay. No copyright infringement is intended whatsoever.

 

Pleaase review kindly and constructively. Thanks.