- Text Size +

CHAPTER 45 - BEING DONE, BEING DUMPED AND DOING A DEAL


VIC AND DEBS’S HOUSE - MONDAY MORNING


KITCHEN


DEBS


“Hah!” I crow as I finalise the last of the bids from yesterday. “That’s another $11 grand!” I call out to Vic and he whistles as he comes in. “Well, go on then!” I prod him beaming.


“Debs…” He begins sitting down and taking my hand. “...you have gotta spend some of this money on yourself.”


“And I will just as soon as you pick out a new car!” The door knocking makes both our hearts sink. Only one person knocks like that. “I’ll go, you pick out your car.”


I head to the door and open it, and there is a sickly and woebegone looking Michael. “What do you want?” I sigh.


“May I come in?” He asks quietly, and immediately I am wary as the one thing he does not do is quiet!


“No, say your piece from the doorstep. Or even better, go back home and send an email, Mr DeVore.”


“Ma.” He croaks. “I am having an episode of CP.”


“Funny how the episodes you had when you were living here meant that you could barely make it out of bed, but now you have managed to make it all the way across town!”


“It’s the beginnings of it, I felt it coming on as I was running some…”


“Bullshit out of your mouth!” Vic calls out as he comes down the hallway. “Go and spend your well earned money, Debs, I will deal with this.”


“I want to speak to both of you.” He bleats.


“Well go on then.”


“Can’t we talk inside?” He shivers and then holds onto the door frame. “At least can I have a glass of water?” I nod at Vic and he heads back to the kitchen. “Ma, seriously, come on. Can’t you see I’m sick?” I nod and go to step aside, but then he straightens up far too quickly for my liking. “You were so close! Vic, hold the water!”


“Never even turned on the tap!” He shouts back. “Am picking my car!”


“His car?!” He goggles and puts his hands on his hips. “What car? Where are you getting the money for a fucking car?!”


“None of your business. What was it that you wanted to lie...I mean talk to us about?”


“You’ve been selling my stuff, my carefully curated collection?!”


“Curated he says! Did you hear that, Vic? He sounds like Anna Wintour opining over the fall collection!”


“In a way it is a fall collection.” Vic says as he rejoins us, carrying the car magazine. “I mean, if he hadn’t been so lazy and obsessed with them then he wouldn't have had that fall in the Big Q, I mean fall from grace!”


“Not funny!” He steams. “Well, since you are splashing the cash about…”


“You have had the remains of the Big Q compensation frozen, but you are allowed access to the rest, on the basis that your passport was retained, and you have to report to the station twice a week. So, if this is you coming to us begging and pleading poverty, these ears and the bank are closed!”


He scowls before rubbing his face tiredly. Ah, stage 2 of his performance, is it?! First poorly, now it’s petulant! “Ma, you wouldn’t have these to sell if it wasn’t for my keen eye and…”


“Borrowed the money from her in the first place and promised to pay it back. Although we are at fault for your current situation, we’re not sorry for growing a backbone and kicking your perverted ass out!”


“All I am asking for is a little support and love from my family.”


And all we are saying is no!” Vic declares and pulls me backwards. “Shut the door, Debs. We’ve got to buy our cars, plural!”


MICHAEL AND ETHAN’S HOUSE - 40 MINUTES LATER


KITCHEN


MICHAEL


I am still annoyed at the smug fucking look on Uncle Vic’s face! The way he was gloating about spending my money! I still can’t believe how much she has managed to get, nor how has she done this. Rumour has it that she has amassed $200K so far! And on top of that, one of the people I used to sell my stuff to called me up to gloat about finally getting the last piece of his collection of Superman figurines! I was furious! I had been holding back on that because I knew he wanted it badly, and I wanted to complete my collection before him.  At least that was one of the collections they packed for me, so I’ll get something on that, when I decide to sell it!


“Michael, are you in?!” Ethan shouts as he comes through the door. “Ah, there you are.” He says as he strides into the kitchen. “How has your day been?” I must have looked at him strangely. “I am in a good mood and I thought I would extend it to you.”


“What do you have to be happy about?”


“Apart from my date with Noel this week. I have been offered a place in Los Angeles and I have decided to accept.”


“What?! You are leaving?!” I gasp.


“Look, let’s try and make the remainder of my stay as pleasant as possible. I…”


“You have to give me more notice!” I gripe. “I have to get in another tenant!”


ETHAN


Another tenant? Good luck with finding someone who has the same dark soul as you!


“Michael, it isn’t for another month or so. I am most definitely not going before we fix the…”


“Tick du jour?” He starts to look relieved.


“Yes, that. And the clit-bitches too.” He smirks a little. “So, are we friends again? I can go for dinner with Noel without having to look over my shoulder?” He shrugs. “I need a promise from you that you won’t try and find out where we are going, and that you won't damage Mischka.”


“I need you to pay the rent today.” He sniffs haughtily.


“I will pay the rent after my date with Noel, and once I have your word that Mischka won’t be damaged.” I return just as haughtily.


“You have my word.” He replies sourly. “So when is it, you’re date with Noel? I need to know so I can pay the rent.”


“You have money, as evidenced by your purchases.” He glowers at me. “Like I said, I will pay after the date.”


“As a matter of interest, how did you know my code?” He folds his arms.


“Watched you key it in one day, I am a very observant man.”


“Well you won’t get my new code.” He bites out.


“Don’t need it.” I snicker and help myself to a beer.


“Hey, those are mine!” He bitches as I walk out.


“I promise to add it to the rent!” I call over my shoulder.


ETHAN’S BEDROOM


I sip my beer and chuckle at his jealous expression, then I hear him curse and the sound of him picking up his keys. “Ethan!”


“What?” I call back down without leaving the room.


“I forgot something in town so I need to go back. I’m expecting a delivery, could you listen for the door?”


“Sure!” I call back and then head to the window. I sigh in relief as he heads down the street, but stay by the window for a few minutes to see if he turns back, but he hails a cab and is soon out of sight. However, just to be on the safe side, I reach for my phone. “Michael, who is the package from? Okay, got it. See you later.”


Twenty minutes later I am putting the package by his bedroom door when it swings open. I look in and recoil in horror. How the hell did he get off in here?! I know I shouldn’t but I step inside. “This is a whole other level of hideous. Oh my god what is that on the ceiling?! No wonder he kept putting off the landlord inspections!”



I decide to beat...oh dear God...a hasty retreat, but in doing so, nudge some papers on his desk. “Even if he could get someone in here, the messiness of the room would frighten them away, let alone the fucking decor!” I grumble as I straighten the papers as best I can, then I freeze and read one of the documents and then another one. “Oh it’s like that is it?!” I growl and pull out my phone.


OPERA HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


ROOF


JUSTIN


“Brian.” I look down at him as he is giving me a pedicure.


“Hmm.” He stops to admire his work. “You really do have pretty feet.”


“Thank you, but I have had an email. Nothing sinister but I am slightly tempted by what it says.”


“Show me.” He clambers up the bed and takes my phone before I can hand it to him. He reads in silence. “Did you know about this?”


“I knew there was a chance this could come up but after I told Brent I was on a break, and then you fired him, I thought nothing more about it.”


“That is a shitload of prestige, Brat.” He rereads the email again from the London Symphony Orchestra offering me a solo spot for their six winter shows. “Do you want to do it?”


“Part of me does, because it’s the London Symphony Orchestra, but the other part of me is seeking that break and…”


“Then do half the shows instead. We could, if you want, make a world trip of it. I trust Schmidt and Cyn…” He stops talking as I push him on his back and lie on top of him. “...this a plan?”


“Yes, this is a plan. Even if we don’t win the dance competition, I still want to go to Australia and…”


“And do the symphony tour?” He frowns.


“Oh god no! I am most definitely not doing that! That Ethan can do! Any association with Brent is done! I was thinking more of a nice long holiday and then to London and...hey!” I yelp as I am unceremoniously tossed on my back and he rushes away. “What did I say?!”


“Coming back!” He yells. “Stay there, Brat!”


I sit back up and decide to check my toes. “Not bad.” I murmur, then look up as the bed dips and he slides in behind me. Settling me against his warm chest, he spreads a map over my legs and puts an unopened box in my hands. “What’s this?”


“Open it, Brat. And don’t pretend you want to take your time!”


Giggling, I rip off the packaging and am now confused. “I have a map and an unused tablet.”


“Uh huh. Was going to plan a worldwide trip with...but I changed my mind. Sixth sense maybe. But I had plotted where I wanted to go, so, if we start with Australia…”


I swivel around so that I can kiss him thoroughly before we start planning our world tour.


JUSTIN’S BEDROOM - TWO HOURS LATER


“Seriously?!” I bitch when he unceremoniously dumps me on my back again and swears. I fumble for the light to find him sitting bolt upright and frowning hard.


“We have forgotten something.”


“What?!” I snap, and he glares at me. “Well?! We have just spent two hours making languorous love, and I was on a replay! So this had better be good!”


“I noticed when you were humping my hip. I wouldn't say it is good, but it is some…”


“We are going to Berp if you don’t get to the point!”


“Boys and girls, what are we going to do with them? We can’t leave them for that long in kennels.”


“I feel like such a bad father!” I flop back on the bed and rub my eyes, before resting on my elbows.


“Yep, me too.” He sighs, assuming the same position next to me. “Any ideas?”


We are both startled when his phone beeps. He is smiling when he finishes reading the message. “Our problem is solved.” He leans across to kiss me and then lies back down.


“How?”


“Take them with us. Light.” He prompts, I snap it back off then resume my position on his chest. “That was a friend of mine. He is a total petrolhead, and likes to gloat about his new toys. He has just sent me a picture of this…” He hands me his phone and I sit up and snap the light back on. “...yeah all kinds of awesome.”


“I have seen awesome. I have felt awesome…”


“I know and you’re welcome.” He brags.


“As I was saying….but this is stratospherically awesome! Wonder if it comes with a trailer? If it does, then I can take a car and you can take a bike!”



“I think some of them do, I will ask him. But yeah, we should do that if it does.”


“Halves.” I put his phone on my side of the bed and reach for the light again.


“Halves what? And why is my phone over there?”


“We will go halves on it. As for phone, I don’t want you to do that now, as I am about to make you feel my kind of awesome...again.”


“Oh great!” He purrs.


DINER - WEDNESDAY MORNING


DEBS


“You are not saying no to this!” I declare fiercely, and Vic holds up his hands in surrender. “Right, so the cars are sorted, the mortgages paid off, credit cards cleared and…”


“You should be thanking me.” Michael’s bitter drone interrupts my ticking off my checklist. “If it wasn’t for…”


“Yes, Mr Wintour, you curated wonderfully, but sold stupidly.” Vic relishes the pinched expression on his face. “If you had, like your mother, reached out further afield you would’ve gotten more money. This embarrassment has shown more business savvy in her selling and collecting than you have!”


“Oh yes? And just how has she done that?!” He snaps.


“Your denial of calling me an embarrassment is…”


“Collecting, what do you mean collecting?!” He sits down and looks like a constipated bulldog.


“Well not collecting as such, buying and immediately selling would be more accurate, wouldn't it, Sis?”


“Yes.” I crow. “I really didn’t give your friends too much credit. I admit that, and that I judged them based, well, based on you. But they have been kind, helpful and pointed me in the right direction.”


“What are you talking about?!” He grouches. “I have a meeting with my attorney, so could you get to the point!”


You are the one that interrupted our conversation, so if it tests the limits of your patience, you can always fuck off!” I berate him.


“Way to go, Sis!” Vic cheers before turning back to Michael. “Judging by that poleaxed guppy expression, you weren’t expecting that were you?”


He presses the tips of this fingers together and then rests his head on them. “Mother…”


“Mother is it? You didn’t deny it.” I look at my son with all the scales fallen from my eyes.


“Okay, didn’t deny what?”


“Calling me an embarrassment.”


“When did I call you that?”


“All the time apparently, it was one of the reasons that Chyna took you on when you challenged her to the plank.” He gawps at us. “She wanted to teach you a lesson, and she did, didn’t she?” I chuckle.


“I am going to sue her for harassment!” He declares getting a nasty look on his face. “And for the injuries I suffered when I was in her exercise classes.”


“I would caution against that…” Ted joins us with a very pleased expression on his face. “...I mean, look what’s happening now with you and the Big Q. Besides you being a braggart and showing off caused your injuries....”


“I have been meaning to catch up with you over that!” Michael snarls and stands up. “What is the meaning of all of this shit?!”


“Sorry, can’t comment on an upcoming trial, all details will be revealed at that time.” He levels such an icy stare at Michael that I feel chills. “And I mean all details.” He clears his throat before turning to us. “I understand congratulations are in order for you two!”


Vic rolls his eyes and I chuckle. “Seriously, we have only just booked it!”


“This is Emmett you are talking about! So how long are you going for?”


“A month, we’re going to do a Rodney Tour, all the places he would’ve loved to have gone.”


“Oh that’s wonderful!” Ted exclaims. “If you want tips over Venice, then let me know.”


“We will.” I smile and pat Vic’s hand. “Like I said, you are not saying no to this, he would’ve wanted you to go.” I bask in the fire that is blazing in Michael’s eyes. “And if I had heard about the way you treated Rodney after his diagnosis, you would’ve been gone long before you were!”


“Your phone is buzzing.” Vic nudges me, and I reach into my handbag. Michael is still standing there glaring and rubbing the back of his neck hard.


“I don’t believe it! Look at this, Vic!” I show him the text and he presses his lips together in fury.


“What’s going on?!” Michael demands.


“Family business.” I retort.


“I am family!” He growls.


“Only when it suits you. Don’t you have an attorney meeting to get to?”


“I will be round the house tomorrow evening. We have a lot to discuss!” He exhorts.


“I have a date with Carl, and Vic has…”


“What are you doing that you can’t see me, Uncle Vic?”


“Nothing, just don’t want to see you.”  Vic replies calmly before squaring up to Michael, who is so surprised that he steps back a bit. “You are an obnoxious pernicious ass, Michael, and I don’t allow obnoxious pernicious asses in our home. I suggest you go be where someone wants you, and that’s only because you are paying him!”


He gives Vic a scathing look before rolling his eyes and walking out.


“How did you not clip him around the ear for that amount of disrespect?!” Ted seethes. “It’s what you would do normally!”


“Because he’s not worth it.” I sigh. “And besides, I just got this!” I hand him my phone. “This is what has pissed us off!”


He starts to sink into the booth as he reads the text. “Where did you get this from? Do you recognise the number?”


I shake my head. “My number is public knowledge, it could be from anyone.”


“Can you forward this to me immediately?” He is as furious as we are.


“Yours. Do with it what you will!” I lean across and kiss Vic’s cheek. “Am done, are you?”


“Yeah, I’m done.”


SARAFINO’S PASTA AND PIZZA - EVENING


NOEL


I try not to gag as I watch Ethan preen his way over to our booth. Tinklebell is by the bar and Daph is in the corner with Cyn. There was no persuading her not to come, despite Ethan knowing her on sight!


“Have you been waiting long?” He asks as he comes up and manages to plant a kiss on my cheek.


“No, not too long. Have you had a good week so far?”


“It was enlightening. Shall we order some drinks?” He doesn’t wait for an answer, just turns around to click his fingers at the waiter. I scrub my cheek and hear Daph chuckle, I stop just in time when he turns back to me. “You are looking gorgeous. So utterly gorgeous.”


“Uh, thank you.” I stutter, and edge to the far side of my seat to avoid his lean. “So, how was your week enlightening?”


“Oh, I discovered that I was being lied to. I don’t like being lied to, so I did something about it.”


“You did, and who…”


“Enough about the opportunism and deceit of Michael, how have you been?” He puts his arm behind my chair and his hand on my thigh. “Nice muscle tone.”


“And what the hell do you think you are doing?!” Tinklebell shrieks. “Take your hands off him, you scurvy knave!”


Ethan stands but keeps his hand on my shoulder. “Let me deal with this deranged idiot, babe, and we can get back to our date.” He turns back to Tinklebell. “Excuse me, but who the…”


“I SAID HANDS OFF!” Tinklebell shouts at me. “How dare you encourage him to touch you, you whorelot!”


“Whore…” I stammer.


“You brazen huzzy! You go around giving him great shoulder and expect a man of his refinement to resist?!” He turns back to Ethan. “I know we said open, babe, but not with him, he’s too cute for me. Can’t you pick that Michael again? I know he wasn’t that great in bed, but you know me and my insecurities...and he said he would try harder!”


“Michael?! What are you talking about?! Noel, I have no idea who this person is!”


“You know what?!” I declare, shaking his hand off my shoulder. “Once is unfortunate, but twice is fucking weird!” I stand up and grab my glass of water then sling it at his crotch and he yelps at the coldness. “When you and your boyfriend have finished playing fuck with people’s lives, grow the hell up!” I grab my jacket and storm out.


ETHAN


I stand there open-mouthed with horror at what has just happened. Luckily, not many people saw, but it was enough for me to feel abject humiliation. “Did Michael send you?” I snarl at the effete man.


“Yes!” He giggles. “He told me exactly what to say!” He claps his hands before slowing down and looking at me properly. “He said that you would get a kick out of it...t-th-that you always prank each other on dates.”


“Oh he did, did he?” I throw some money on the table. “Well then, tell him when you see him that he has played his last prank and I hope his meeting with his Mother and Uncle goes well!”


MICHAEL AND ETHAN’S HOME - TWO HOURS LATER


MICHAEL


I am surprised to hear the front door and Ethan comes in. “Do I need to go upstairs?!” I call out.


“No, we are going upstairs!” He shouts, and my guts twist.


“Well…”


“Goodnight!” He shouts back. “Noel, stop that! At least let’s get to my room first!” His laughter carries up the stairs.


“Asshole!” I mutter to myself and turn up the TV really loud!


ARCHIBALD AND HYDE ATTORNEYS AT LAW - THURSDAY AFTERNOON


JEREMY HYDE’S OFFICE


JEREMY


“So, Michael, how have you been?” I ask as he sits down.


“Not great. I have had a recurrence of my chlamydia, and barely made it in today. Is there a chance of a postponement of the trial?” He pleads weakly.


“I can ask, but you would need to provide a medical proof of your recurrence.” I look at him briefly.


“I have it and…”


“That doesn’t necessarily mean that you are having another episode, just like it doesn't necessarily mean that just because you said you told the courts about all your assets that you did.”


“What do you mean?” He bleats.


“Your current residence is not leased to you, it is owned by you.”


“Who told you that?!” He snaps.


“Resurgence in vigour noted. An anonymous tip-off was sent to me. I do not like anonymous tip-offs, especially when they make me look stupid! Is this the only property you own that you have not declared to the courts?”


“It is not an asset. It is my home, well it is now and…”


“Can be liquidated at any time by you, which it now can’t be.” I rest my hands behind my head and watch him. “The courts had to be told about it, I could risk disbarment for not disclosing the information. Now I understand you have a tenant, one Ethan Gold, correct?”


“Yes, what does…”


“Do you have a lease agreement with him?”


“Yes, but…”


“Good, at least you were honest in that regard.” I lean towards the intercom. “Una, can you bring him in please?”


“Bring who…”


“Michael, what is going on? What am I doing here?”


“Ethan, what are you…”


“Mr Gold, due to client and attorney privilege I cannot disclose the reasons for your presence here, but can assure you that your residency is not at risk.”


“My residency?”


“Yes. The rental amount you currently pay to Mr Novotny/Grassi/Resident Asshole in Chief, from now on, should be paid directly to me. It will be held in an escrow account until such time as the court case is settled.”


“Jeremy, can you please explain what…”


“Mr Gold, if you are happy to proceed on this basis, then sign here, here, here and here.”


“Someone tell me what the fuck is going on?!” Michael screams.


“Thank you, Mr Gold. You may now leave.  I am sure that he will explain in his own way upon his return.”


“Uh, okay then. Michael, I will see you at home.”


MICHAEL


I watch a bewildered Ethan walk out before turning my wrathful look on Jeremy. “Explain right now!”


“You lied to me. Again. Now our meeting is at an end.”


“I didn’t lie. About the house I mean. I made him a decent offer and he accepted it. The courts asked for declaration of the remains of the, rightfully awarded compensation, and that is what I gave them.”


“But that is not what you told me!” I snarl.


“So I earned some considerable interest on it. They asked for what remained of the original figure. It is not my fault they weren’t clear. Now, this escrow account thing, what happens then? He pays you and then you pay me?”


“No. Don’t play gauche, it doesn’t suit you. As I said to Mr Gold, he pays us, you are cut out of the loop. You receive no money from anybody at all until the case of settled. You have to survive on what the courts deem fit.” His Adam’s apple bounces and I relish the flinch. “We are done here, unless of course, there’s something else that someone else can disclose, something that you really should. I mean they found this out, didn’t they?” He holds my gaze for a few minutes before he sits down and clears his throat. An hour later he closes the door behind him and I sit and think before reaching across to dial a number.


BLAKE’S HOUSE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


BLAKE


“Either switch it off or answer it. It’s the fifth time in a row!” I grumble as our make-out session is interrupted again.


“I am so sorry, Petal.” Teddy reaches across for his phone. “Schmidt! Well, yes you are…” I watch him freeze and slowly sit up. “He wants to do what?” He blinks rapidly. “What are the terms? Well, can we discuss this tomorrow? Okay, I will call you and then you can get back to them.” He hangs up and looks a combination of thoughtful and stunned.


“Teddy?”


“He wants a deal. To avoid prison, Michael wants a deal.”


“Really?! So there would be no need for Marilyn or…”


“I don’t know, but I do know one thing...it can wait until the morning!”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks