- Text Size +

CHAPTER 23 - REFLECTIONS OF YOU...AND A RAT JOINS HIS SINKING SHIP


BRITIN - SUNDAY MID-MORNING


KITCHEN


BRIAN


I look up from feeding the boys and girls as he comes in. He’s nervous and nibbling on his bottom lip. Cyn and Daph will be here soon.


“Come here.” He slides into my arms, and although he’s trying not to he’s trembling. “Can I ask a question?”


“Why did I agree to be filmed?”


“Yeah.”


“It was a thrill.” He looks up at me searching my face for understanding. “It added a frisson of excitement, but then I watched the first one, and although it looked great and appealed the voyeur in me, I couldn’t watch them again. Nor would I ever do it again.”


“I get it. But the one thing that will never be erased from my mind is the way you look, no matter what you are doing, the way you look to me. You are...”


“Don’t. Please don’t finish that sentence.”


“Why not?”


“Because I will cry.” I rub his back and then snicker and point as Shadow gets clipped, albeit gently, by Sonata for trying to take some of the steak from her dish. “God loves a trier.” He murmurs, and then tenses up when he hears the front door open, then Cyn’s dulcet tones yelling for our location.


“Kitchen!” I holler back.


“What the fuck is he doing here?!” He shouts.


“Wait!” Daph gets between him and some guy. “Without Alexi we wouldn’t have what we have. Now, burrow backwards and listen to me.” He does as he is told. “He’s not...what was it you called it?”


“Having a Road to Damascus moment.” He replies.


“Yeah, that. He is not. But somewhere in there is a kernel of decency. This…” She puts a laptop down. “...has all the downloaded copies of previous assignations he has participated in. Brent was…”


“Using it as leverage.” Alexi interrupts her.  “And I am sorry, truly sorry, for threatening you with them. I was pissed, like I said to Cyn and Daph, because I just want to play.”


“And these...th...these are the…” Cyn drops the discs and runs out of the room.


“Cyn!” Daph calls out and starts to follow.


“Let me!” I tell her firmly and two minutes later we’re back, although she is still teary.


DAPH


“Can you get the Ciroc from the freezer please, Justin?” Brian asks as he puts her on the window seat and envelopes her in a hug. He keeps rocking her gently as she starts to cry again.


“It was posted, wasn’t it?” Alexi asks quietly.


“What was?” I look at Justin before realisation dawns. “Oh Cyn! I am so...I don’t...who was it? I haven’t hit anyone yet, so just a name and general location and I will turn them inside out!”


“I dealt with it.” Brian replies. Although his tone is gentle, the anger is palpable, and Justin and I exchange looks of pride at his defence of his friend. “Can I say?” She nods, and we all sit down. “A few years ago, she was dating this guy. We didn’t get on. He was a bit threatened by me, despite my dislike of snatch and tits. I think it was about six months in…” He looks down at her and she nods. “...that they, like Justin, decided to make their own videos, which was great until he gave her an ultimatum about me. He wanted me out of her life. She said no, so he dumped her and then posted straight away.”


“Fuck.” Alexi breathes, and knocks back the shot that Justin begrudgingly poured.


“Yeah, all of them. Over YouTube and various other platforms. But he didn’t bank on this batty boi being able to do anything about it.” Cyn giggles as after she downs her shot. “He’d be on the phone to his brethren bragging on about the places you were taking him on your dime.”


“Excuse me, batty boi? Brethren?” Alexi looks confused.


“Cyrus was from Jamaica.” Cyn sits up and gives us a small smile.


“Jamaica in Queens not the Caribbean.” Brian snickers.


“What’s so funny?” Alexi’s frown deepens.


“Well, Cyrus the Virus…” Brian chuckles. “...is not, although he did have the dreads, which was more from not washing his hair than from religious standpoint…”


“Seriously what?” Justin growls impatiently.


“Oh I get it! He’s...he is still alive right?” I ask and they both nod. “He’s a gangsta poser. A suburban white guy that behaves like an inner city gang banger, it’s called cultural appropriation.”


“Or in his case a Jamaican.” Cyn regains some of her normal verve and starts to chuckle at whatever memory that has assailed her. “He used to leave his house in his prim and proper outfit and then change, this is a grown ass man, into his gangsta outfit to meet his friends.”


“So what did you do?” Alexi looks at Brian nervously.


“He was a trust fund kid. I told his folks, his neighbours, his parents’ friends, his friends’ parents who egged him on, his grandparents, and then finally, I put a billboard outside where he worked, so effectively I told his boss.”


“What happened to him?” I ask.


“Last I heard he was working in his father’s firm. Nobody else would hire him. He has finally worked his way up to receptionist.”


“I don’t get it?” Justin does have moments of doh-ness!


“Reverse nepotism. His father was so pissed off and humiliated he withdrew his trust fund...hence the was part...and made him work from the bottom up. And even better, he had to pay Cyn reparation damages.” Brian is looking deservedly pleased with himself.


“How much was it?” Alexi swallows hard.


“Two million dollars.” Cyn replies. “Money can’t soothe the pain he caused, but it does buy you a fabulous house in Bora-Bora!”


“And he had to do a video on every platform he posted it on apologising for what he did.”


Cyn looks up at him in surprise. “He did?!”


“Yeah, he did.” He kisses her forehead. “I do believe he’s been single ever since! As I said to his folks, I am the nicest person until you fuck with me or anyone I love. Now, Alexi…” He turns to look at him properly. “...who is on there?” He points at the laptop.


“Me and some past and present orchestra members. Some clients, again with me…”


“In his defence of getting it somewhere, you should see him, I mean…” Cyn starts.


“Oh my fucking god! Give me that!” Alexi leaps up reaching for the laptop but Justin gets there first. “Okay the password is 9inchaster. Wishful thinking on his part!” He smirks. “Let me know when you are in.” He asks Justin.


“Oh, give it to me!” I grump and quickly get it unlocked. “Where am I going?”


“I need to see the screen.” He looks at Brian for approval.


“Daph, if he touches the laptop, do what you need to do.” Justin glares at him as he says it.


“In other words, I will break your fingers…” I eye him coolly.


“And I will break your pretty face with that pan.” Brian replies calmly, and Alexi nods before he stands up to edge behind me, then guides me to where I need to be.


“Oh dear god!” I breathe and gulp down nausea. “Is he doing what I think he’s doing?”


“Yep.” He replies somewhat grimly, before beckoning the rest of them to see. “I didn’t think anything of it until you said what you said.” He looks at Cyn. “When we filmed there it was always the same set up.”


“I see what you mean. That is really miniscule.” Brian shudders. “So, could they see him?”


“No, he would come in when we were in the throes if it…”


“Can we stop playing this now?” Justin asks from behind Brian.


“Oh fuck, sorry!” I exclaim and quickly switch it off.


“Is there any way we can play that again but without the image?” Justin has his face on.


“Sure.” I put it on and he tilts his head.


“Why are…” Brian starts but I shake my head at him.


“That is just beautiful. It’s a shame it’s on that.” He smiles. “Can you play it again?” We listen to it and it truly is a beautiful piece. “Wonder where he got that from.”


“Told you I could play.” Alexi says with a small smirk.


“You?! You played that?” Justin looks at him with a bit more friendliness.


“And wrote it too.” His smirk turning to a shy smile.


“We need to call Blake!” Justin declares and snatches up his phone. I smile as he hums the tune that Alexi wrote while he goes pink with embarrassment. “Hey Blake, oh Ted. Can I speak to Blake please? So Blake, what were you up to? Good grief, you could’ve said talking! How long has that been happening?! Oh, right. I just wanted to ask if we could have a third writing partner. Ethan? Why the hell would I want to work with him?! You’re kidding me?! Okay we need to speak to Chyna too, but there is no way in fuck that is happening! Yeah, I shall let you get back to sucking face with Ted then!”


“Sucking face with Ted?” I beam. “I am so happy for him!”


“What did you say about Ethan though?” Brian frowns.


“He is going to be playing in the Babylon Orchestra!” Justin seethes as he scrolls through his phone. “Need to find out what the hell is going on!”


Ten minutes later having spoken to Chyna, we are guffawing at the Outfit from Hell that Sade is putting him, and only him, in. And wondering what the ratfink devilish alliance he and the Peeping Tom will come up with next.


BIG Q HEADQUARTERS - TUESDAY AFTERNOON


CONFERENCE ROOM


TRACEY RICHARDSON, AREA MANAGER


Andrew and I will never be the best of friends. But we do have one common irritant, and that is one Michael Novotny. His incredible smugness when he got that pay out was so punchable, and there were times he had to remember to limp, but never where anyone could see him. Now we have an audit, because of him. We always suspected that he had planned the accident himself, but could never prove it. But now we might have him by the short and curlies...and here comes my lunch! Andrew nudges me, mercifully bringing me away from the image I had just conjured up in my mind!


“So what happened then, Mr Rollins?” Isla Cara one of the auditors asks.


“We called the ambulance and he was taken to hospital.”


“Alleghany?”


“Yes. But I didn’t stay with him. Well, I did for a while, but he asked me to call his mother, and when she arrived I left. He was being seen by then.” He frowns and twists his mouth.


Isla looks at him carefully. “What is it?”


“Well that’s the thing. He wouldn’t let me call her until he was about to be seen.”


“And?” She pushes.


“She would visit him virtually every day in the store. For no good reason some days, but the day of the accident, she didn't turn up. I mean you could set your watch by her.”


“I see, well actually I don’t but never mind. I know it is a bit of a reach, but I don’t suppose you know who he was seen by?”


“No, I’m sorry.”


“Okay, thank you Mr Rollins, you have been most helpful if you could follow Jared out.”


When the door closes behind him, we all look at each other a little crestfallen. “We’ve not gotten very far, have we?” I sigh.


“We’re further than we were when it first happened.” Andrew tries to put a positive spin on things all the time, I do wish he would stop that. When’s it’s a clusterfuck it’s that plain and simple, a clusterfuck!


Sighing, Isla reaches for the conference phone. “Might as well update Ted.” She doodles while we wait for the call to connect.


“Ted Schmidt.”


“Hi Ted, its Isla. I’m at headquarters with Andrew and Tracey. We’ve just finished talking to Mr Rollins, he was the man that found Novotny lying...”


“Do you mean on the floor, through his teeth, or both?” He chuckles.


“On the floor and called the ambulance. He did say something felt odd to him. He didn’t want his mother called immediately and nor was she in the store that day. To quote, you could set your watch by her.”


The silence stretches on.


“Ted, are you still there?” Isla asks.


“Yeah.” He sounds thoughtful. “Are you sure that’s what he said? Mr Rollins I mean?”


“Yes, he’s signing the statement now with Jared. What’s up?”


“He’s a mama’s boy through and through. There is no way on earth that that pantywaisted prick would not want his audience of mom!” He says scornfully. “Any luck on the hospital?”


“No, nothing at all. If only we had a way in somehow.” She sighs. “Problem is, I don’t know any doctors that could even beg…”


“Isla!” Ted shrieks. “You wonderful person! You don’t know a doctor but I do! I will call you back as soon as I can. Give me a few minutes!” He hangs up quickly and we exchange confused looks.


“I don’t think I have ever heard him so excited!” She chuckles.


BABYLON - 5 MINUTES LATER


CHYNA


I hang up on Ted and wonder why he wanted David’s number, and insisted that I couldn’t tell anyone he asked for it.


“Hey, psychobitch!” Sade calls out as she comes in grimacing. “Next time I have my legs spread that wide I had best have someone fucking me into oblivion!” She trundles over slowly, legs somewhat akimbo...I have to admire the fact that she is walking like a cowboy in six inch heels!


“You said push, I pushed!” I smirk. “And where did you get those beauties from?” I point at her shoes.




“Present from my mother. Now that I have transitioned, she keeps buying me shoes. I am never one to look a gift shoe in the mouth! However, back on topic, meanie, this is going to chafe your chuff. You, as in you, not me, you have one Ethan Gold in your class as of Saturday. He’s signed up for the rest of the sessions.” She smirks as my face falls off my head and shatters into a million pieces on the floor.


“You had to show him the outfit, didn’t you?” I grumble, now feeling not so bad about her splits agony.


“Yeah, but I now think it is too good for him.” She sighs and glares hatefully at me as she slowly lowers herself onto the stool.


“Honey, have you not seen the outfits you, not me, you picked out for our routine?” I look up as a beaming Blake and Justin come in with a tall glass of fine in their wake.


“Hey. Gay?” Sade drools coming straight to the point as always.


“Yes, and its Alexi.” He grins at us.


“Sad Sade.” She pouts “And that is Cutthroat Chyna.”


“Down, girl.” I tease her, getting flipped for my impertinence. I shake my head at her childishness. “Actually, I’m glad you two are here, saves me a call. However, you first, what can I do you for?”


“Strip.” Justin orders, and I glare at him. “No! Not you! Him!” He points quickly at Alexi and without shame or preamble he does so.


“Weeping bitter tears!” Sade sighs dramatically.




He bows his head in acknowledgement. “Take this.” Justin tells him, starting to grin as Alexi puts the cello between his well muscled thighs. “Now play.” Soon, everyone has stopped drooling and is listening to this virtually naked man play the most wonderful music. When he stops, we all applaud. “You can get dressed now.” Justin smiles evilly in the face of Sade’s moue of protest.


“He’s better than he is or ever will be.” Justin declares heatedly. “We have now found our lead cellist, haven’t we?”


“Oh yes, and such a terrible shame that he’s not going to find out for a while...like on the night! But at least he will be able to commiserate with his new bestie.”


“You’re glinting. What have you done?” Sade takes off her shoes and slowly puts her feet in my lap, I start to rub.


“Nothing. Yet.” I grin. “But if you wanted to tag in the class on Saturday, you can watch the show and fall.”


“Can I come?” Blake asks.


“I insist you do.”


DAVID CAMERON’S OFFICE - EARLY EVENING


DAVID


I smile to myself as I put the phone down on my second call of the evening. I am so looking forward to class on Saturday! I look across at my ringing phone and it is Michael, I put him on speaker. “Yes?”


“Oh, you sound in a much better mood than you were the last time we spoke.” He grizzles, much like a baby with colic. I say nothing and smirk as I can almost hear his brow creasing in confusion. “Are you still there?”


“Yes.”


“Well, are we going to meet to practice our routine or not?”


“Not.” I reply and hang up. “Now to do the other thing.” I look at the email from Emmett, he has been plagued by Michael ever since flamergate, so he has sent his number to an answering service, and he’s forwarded me the details. I dial the company. “Hello, I wonder if you could help me. My name is David Cameron and I want to have a caller sent to your service. His name is Mich...yes, Novotny. Oh, I see.” I shake my head unsurprised that Emmett and I are not the only ones utilising this service. Just like the A-List, he tops the charts in forwarded calls!


THRUHELL4HEAVEN STUDIOS - SATURDAY MID-MORNING


ETHAN


I am looking forward to seeing the expression on Justin’s face when I walk into class. I have been hanging back as I want to make my grand entrance. I wait another five minutes until nobody else is entering, and, with one final adjustment to my ensemble, make my way in.


“Mr Gold.” Chyna clips out. “The class starts at 1030, not when you’ve finished skulking in the corridor ready to make your entrance like the Queen of Disco. Plank for 2 minutes!” All eyes turn to me, and they do not look pleased. “Mr Gold, the longer you stand there, the more time I add on.”


“For fuck sake!” Drew snaps. “Get in position...now!”


You do not argue with Drew Boyd! Two agonising minutes later, while everyone else seems nonplussed by it, Michael and I are covered in sweat and red-faced. When the door opens, I gape as Brent’s long time boy toy walks in followed by Blake.


“Hey darlings!” Sade calls out from the other side of the room, startling me a bit as I hadn’t seen her.


“Hi!” Blake replies, as Alexi joins us in line.


“So, as you know…” Chyna stalks as she talks and I have to admit if she wasn’t a woman I most definitely would. “...we only have a couple of months left till the competition. So you have to practice your routines outside of the studio.”


“I told him that, but did he listen?” Michael grumbles, and the guy next to him rolls his eyes then moves a bit further away.


“Plank and step for 2 minutes!” Chyna barks out.


“You just had to fucking speak!” Ted snaps as they turn to him.


“Excuse me, Chyna, but plank and step?” I question.


“Get into the plank position and step in and out for 2 minutes.”


“I see.” I reply and join everyone on the floor and cut my eye at him.


“You will step every 5 seconds!”


By the time she lets us up, I am very wobbly and want to be sick!


“Now. May I continue without any further interruption?” All eyes turn to Michael, and he wisely says nothing. “So, you need to practice outside of class. But for today, you are again working on your core and arms. But before we do that, I have a couple of things to say, so assume collapsed position for a minute.”


I watch angrily as Brian wraps a long arm around Justin’s slim waist as he talks to Blake. He squirms in his hold as he does something to his side. I am startled when Michael sidles up to me.


“Pathetic, isn’t he?” He sneers. “He doesn’t realise that he is a fleeting fuck. I am sorry you had to witness that when you went to his house, but Brian and I have to keep our relationship on the downlow. He has to pretend to be with him, but at the end of the day he comes to me.”


“Well, that explains a lot.” I reply. “But I am curious about something. Who is the he you were talking about?”


“Oh, him.” He says scornfully and rolling his eyes. “That guy over there, he’s called David.” He points to a man speaking to Chyna.


“Brian! Stop that!” Justin gasps, and wriggles out of his grasp.


“Come back here, Brat!”


“Are you going behave, Twerp?!”


“How about I keep it PG...good enough?”


“Good enough!” He laughs and slides back into his embrace.


“Okay, boys and gal line up!” Chyna and Sade are now both in front of us. “So, Blake, you have the opening music to the Staffs set, correct?” He nods. “Great, What, I want you to do when it is played is think about your positioning. Think about the correct way to hold your partner, their form, etc, etc and so forth. Now, Michael, you obviously will have to start over…”


“Start over? Why am I starting over?” He grouses. “I have a partner over there who didn’t do any of the planking I notice. Why does he get to just sit there while you torture the rest of us?”


“I pulled my back and have to see a specialist.”


“So what do I do now?!” He exclaims.


“Mr Gold? In the interim, while we find him another partner, could you assist?” Sade asks me.


“Partner with Michael? I don’t…”


“Actually, since I am used to working with taller people, my apologies Ethan, perhaps I should work with...sorry, you are? The ladies have forgotten their manners and not introduced you.”


“Alexi. And no you cannot work with me. I shall be in the orchestra. I am only here to exercise.”


What the fuck does he mean he’s going to be in the orchestra?! No he fucking isn’t, seems me and the clit-bitches need to talk!


“So, Michael, your choices are: Mr Gold or you pole dance like you toss off...by yourself. The latter option at least means those pitiful pebbles won’t be rubbing against anyone!” David snarks and Michael goes almost puce.


“At least when I am in Australia. I can toast the fact that I won without you!” He spits back.


“So. You don’t have a partner?” Alexi looks at David.


“No, I just said that I am…”


“In life I meant.”


ALEXI


As I wait for his answer, all I can think of is how every time I caught him looking, how sweetly he blushed. And now I seem, much to my surprise, to indeed have one toe on the Road to Damascus, because I would really rather like the answer to that question to be no.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please revieew kindly and constructively. Thanks.