- Text Size +

CHAPTER 32 - THE PAST WILL DESTROY ONE FUTURE AND ENHANCE ANOTHER


MICHAEL


“You will regret that threat!” I snarl at Chyna who has the nerve to laugh and shake her head at the same time. “I can make your life here very…”


“You do realise that I’ve lived here all of my life, as a male and now as a female.  You might want to consider that before you try that avenue of painful-for-you-retribution. You can’t touch me. At all. Ever. Now do yourself a favour and leave while you still can.”


“I am going to wait to see my mother.” I snark.


“As I said, she is asleep. And since you are the cause of her being here, I doubt, no I know, she won’t want to see you when she wakes up.” Uncle Vic snipes. “I have her POA and…”


“I have it too.” I point out.


“Makes no difference. I have seniority as mine is a lasting power of attorney. I decide who gets in and you don’t.”


I look at a host of angry faces. “So what was the point of Emmett bringing me here, if you aren’t going to let me see her?!”


“I didn’t know what was happening with her!” Emmett explodes. “Besides, if you were so concerned for her welfare, why were you on the phone for 30 minutes after I got out of the cab?! Vic is saying you can’t see her when she wakes up, not that you can’t see her later on!”


“Guys!” Ted snaps. “Come on, we’re tired, emotional and making a scene. Let’s all go home and come back later. Chyna, will you let us know when she’s able to see visitors?”


“She is not in charge of my…”


“Shut the fuck up, you irksome toad!” A redhead snaps. “She is paying the bill for this. I notice you haven’t objected to that!”


“Chyna!” The receptionist shouts at her. “Mrs Novotny has just called down, and I quote, tell them to fuck off so I can go back to sleep. No visitors unless it is Vic.”


“She’s feeling better, I see!” She calls back before turning back to face me. “Is that clear enough for you?”


“Tell my mother I shall see her at home! Make sure she gets the message, I don’t want her thinking I am uncaring!” I hiss at them before storming out of the building. “How fucking dare…” I begin to mutter, only to be interrupted in my complaining by my phone ringing. “...ah, Ethan, hi there. Yeah sorry I am at hospital. No everything is fine, Ma had a fainting spell but that’s it. No, I have been giving what you said some thought and I am going to sue him. Look, can we talk tomorrow, I mean later. I have got to go, I need to grab that cab before anyone else does!”


TED


There is something to be said about - now what was it he called me before? - oh yes, boring and instantly forgettable. He’d get lost in the backroom...fading away, but then he does have his uses when he’s not being a prissy prig about being an accountant! And he wonders why I don’t like him!


“Ted?” Vic calls out to me and I rejoin them. “What were you doing over there?”


“I’ll explain later. Right now we need to get some rest.”


“A Michael thing?” Chyna asks crossly.


“Yes, a Michael thing.”


“He really needs to cop a slap from the reality god. People like him, who think they can spew anything they damn well please because of their alleged superiority, knowledge or vaunted position. They can’t. And he is going to find out the hard way. You do not mess with me. True enough I don’t always react immediately, well sometimes I do. But when I am nuclear pissed off, I have to step back and digest, but when I do, it is not nice. There was one cuntzilla who thought she was as hot as a splash of Tabasco...amazingly enough when I dumped a bucket of ice cream on her head that soon cooled her tongue.”


“You mean that metaphorically right?” Isla asks.


“No.” Tinklebell replies. “And it was wonderful. She had bitched about Chyna, unjustifiably, and she never said anything in return, so naturally she took this as a sign that she could continue. I think she was off sick for a week.”


“For a bucket of ice cream over the head?” Isla frowns with a brief look of glee.


“In the middle of winter. At a ice rink. Turns out she got a chill.” Sade grins and opens the door to Marlon’s van. “Seemingly, she had to go home without her coat too. Such a shame.”


“And you had the same one two days later…” Chyna grins.


“Hey guys, how she doing?” Marlon calls out. “By the way, Blythe is going to be doing a food run for you two, Vic.”


“Oh thank you! I could not think of cooking anything. I need to sleep. She just fainted.”


“Good.” He waits for us to get buckled up and puts the heating up higher. “So who am I dropping off next after Vic? No arguing, Vic.”


“Wasn’t going to.” He returns tiredly.


“So, Sade, where am I going to pick you up from later. Yours or Marlon’s?” Chyna tugs on one of Sade’s curls, the van comes to a swift halt and Sade gapes at her.


“How long have you known?!” Marlon asks quietly. “And are you okay with it?”


“A while. So where?” Sade and Marlon look at each other. “Right, his. Got it.”


DR THADDEUS HAWKSTREEK’S OFFICE - TWO DAYS LATER


THADDEUS


I steeple my fingers and sigh. After I gave the statement to David I had thought that would be the end of it. But no, so here I am in my office with Hilda Shaw, my attorney, trying to head that terrible, in every sense of the word, fucker off at the pass.


“Thaddeus? Is that all?” I look up and nod at Hilda who lets out a sigh of relief. “So Agnes is this enough for you?”


Agnes looks at the figure again before looking at her brother, Andrew, for confirmation. Despite his annoyance with me, he stayed just on the right side of professional during my medical. “Yes, $25,000 is enough and there is to be no contact, no nothing. You cease to exist in my world, despite you ruination of some parts of it.”


“Yes. Look Agnes, I truly didn’t know about it until you were infected and…”


“Can anybody hear anything?” She asks as she picks up her things. “No? Thought not.” She glances again at her brother. “Can you do the rest? I really just need to get out of here.”


“Sure. You go home and rest. I will make sure he pays you.” He glowers at me. “Now. As in right this very second.”


“Of course.” I mutter and within minutes Agnes has been paid.


“I am curious, was it worth it?” Andrew asks as he gets up.


“No. He was terrible.” I reply.


“Funny, she said the same about you.” He then walks out without another word.


Hilda waits for the door to shut. “So that’s that settled. What we need now is a timeline to prove that you didn’t infect him. You are getting more help than you deserve, you know? You could be lose your licence for this!”


“I know.” I admit before reaching for my private diary and handing it to her. “This is how I know.”


“What’s this?” She takes it with a frown and then she rolls her eyes. “Really? This is a book of everyone you have ever fucked?”


“Just the ones who I barebacked with or, in a woman’s case, she took care of the birth control.”


“Pregnancy, as you have found out to the tune of $25 gees, should not have been your only concern! So how does this confirm that it was him?”


“He never returned the calls or emails. I did try to tell him about him the chlamydia, not the trichomonas. After he paid me, I mean.”


“Trichomonas?”


“Yep, I got a double dose of joy. He definitely knew about that, he said that if I contacted him again he would say I gave it to him. And he could say that. But with the chlamydia, well that is easier to prove who infected who.”


“But how do you prove that?”


I bow my head and then look up. “Agnes is not the only person I’ve had to pay. I reached private agreements with those who could prove that I infected them. He was the only one that told me to fuck off. I have the email on my private drive at home. Shall we go?”


“What do you think?” She blasts, snatching up her papers.


BABYLON - AN HOUR LATER


OFFICE


CHYNA


“Seriously, you think this is a good idea?” I ask Blake again. “We don’t really need the publicity and…”


“No, while that is true, a small announcement to the wider Pennsylvania area wouldn’t hurt, especially, now that Justin is here and is in the competition. He would certainly bring in some people and…”


“We don’t need some people though.” I object. “I don’t want to make an unnecessary hoohah. Some of the crowd, not the people in the show, might not like the media coverage and they are my concern.”


“Oh, sorry, I hadn’t thought of that. Forget it then.” Blake looks so disappointed that I want to hug the little sprite!


“May I make a suggestion?” Ted is looking keen so I nod. “Say you are hosting the competition but don’t have it here. The Byham Theater would be a nice juxtaposition to what you two are hosting.”


Sade and I exchange looks and then she starts to smile...she’s planning her post competition outfit. “Okay, so we have just under two months, how the hell do we do this?”


“Oh that’s easy.” Blake has cheered up immensely. “I know just the lady.”


HOME OF NAOMI COOR, BRENT’S EX PUBLICIST - TWO HOURS LATER


STUDY


NAOMI


I sit back in my chair and smile. Oh yes, this plays perfectly into the craw-sticking that is coming Brent’s way. I have contacted the Sydney Opera people and told them about the event that Justin and Blake are going to be in, and they were frothing and creaming so much that they have agreed to sponsor it! I did have to do some major persuading of Chyna to get her to let go of it, she is very protective of the Babylonites, but they’ve reached a compromise and it’s a co-sponsor with the opera people agreeing to pay into the community.


I asked Blake to send pictures of Chyna and Sade so I can get the motors running, and I am just downloading them no...wow! Those are two beautiful women!




“So the top one is Chyna and the bottom is Sade.” I read the email from Blake. “Both co-own Babylon and an exercise studio. Male to female trans.” I am so riveted by their life stories that I am startled when my phone rings, and that turns to annoyance as it is Ethan. How I regret ever giving him my number. Sighing I put him on speaker. “Ethan, to what do I owe this call?”


“Hello Naomi. How…”


“Busy. Get to the point.” I bite out.


“Fine. I was wondering if you had heard from the Sydney Opera people at all? I want to put my plans in place, since I am going to be the lead cellist in the....”


“Unless it is about you, nothing exists in your world does it?” I interrupt.


“Excuse me?”


“There is not going to be a tour for you. Brent is no longer being represented by me. They wanted Justin Taylor and that’s who they are going to have. Now I have a Studs and Staffs event to publicise, which Justin and Blake will be participating in. I do believe you have been removed from that event as well, so...no, do not speak...you are not nice, Ethan. So go away. I will be blocking you and spreading the word about you, much like you spread your cheeks!”


I quickly cut him off and then block him. Making a note on my to do list, I underline destroy Ethan Gold twice!


WOODY’S - FRIDAY AFTERNOON


MICHAEL


Well, it doesn’t seem like I have been barred from here, so she’s happy to take my money! I am fucking fuming at the way she steamrollered herself into taking care of Ma, but that ginge was right, I have no problem with her paying for it, just don’t like her attitude! I am meeting Ethan in about five minutes, as we need to talk strategy over that doctor. I haven’t heard from that nutjob woman, so until I do I am doing nothing about that.


True to my word, I did go and see Ma and she’s okay, still chilly with me, and I couldn’t even come to the house, we had to meet in the diner. As for Uncle Vic, he barely even spoke to me! I was going to ask them about the comic but I was only in there for five minutes. He was like, you can see she’s fine, now go!


“Hey you two! Where the hell have you been?! Not seen you in a while!” The barman shouts out, and I turn to see who he is talking to and it’s Brian and his tick-of-the-moment! I chuckle to myself at my perfect description of him. He’s such a tick, but instead of blood, he’s a money-sucking-parasite, despite him having his own, he wants Brian’s! I still just don’t understand why a smart man like Brian can’t see what is obvious about him and me!


“Paris.” Brian replies, and my stomach clenches in annoyance. It gets even tighter when he helps him out of his coat and then pulls the bar stool out for him to sit in. When he stands behind him so he can use him as a resting spot, I lose my appetite. “Landed this morning, he’s still a bit jet lagged.”


“Yeah, that’s why I’m tired. The jet lag!” The tick whines.


“I see. Well you are still the toppers on the lists...even in your absence!” The barman laughs. “Can I get you your usuals?”


“Please.” Brian replies.


“Hello Brian.” I call out making a point of ignoring the tick.


“Want to move over there?” He asks the tick who just nods with his eyes still closed.


“Will bring them over, boys!” The barman calls out. “In case you are wondering, it’s because he’s a litigious little louse. She doesn’t want to give him a reason to come for her, hence him not being barred from her places.”


“Smart move.” The tick laughs, and I roll my eyes, which he doesn’t see as he has his back to me.


“Sorry I’m late.” Ethan says from behind me, and I glare slightly at him. “I was stuck in traffic, I can’t control the traffic.” He grumbles.


“Let’s get a drink and sit over there.” I point to a table two away from them.


“A beer please.” Ethan calls over his shoulder as he heads to the table, and I am once again stuck with the bill where he is concerned!


“I would like two beers please. Open them in front of me.” I order, and he snorts before putting them on the bar then just stares at me. “What’s with the lack of manners?”


“You’ve been here before and are known for your penny pinching ways. You always have the exact amount of money, so just put the cash on the counter.” He replies coldly.


I throw it down and head to join Ethan.


“Oh, for fuck sake, what are you doing back here?!” Brian growls whilst glowering. “I said I am not interested in any bullshit you wish to spout, now fuck off!”


“The police said…” I begin.


“Not you. You, I am ignoring. I am talking to the other waste of air behind you!”


I turn around to see who he is talking to, and we both stare at each other.


“You!” I exclaim.


“Oh fuck my life!” He groans and then sighs. “Brian, I will come to you in a second.”


“You are not coming, in any sense of the word, to Brian.” The tick snaps. “Go talk to that and leave me and my partner alone.”


“Partner? Brian, I said I was sorry for cheating on you. I thought we had an understanding, but…”


“Yes, I understood we were being faithful! You know, to each other?!” He snarls. “Come on, Justin, let’s just go home!”


“That is my home! You bought it for me!” The guy yells.


“And now I share it with Justin. You cheated on me. I gave you two years of my life and you fucked ar...hang on. How do you know Adam?” He demands of me.


“Because he fucking gave me chlamydia! At least I know your name!” I scream at Adam. “I have only barebacked twice and you were my first!”


“Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't know I had it and…”


“When? When did you sleep with him?!” Brian demands.


“Over three years ago!” I retort.


“Well, at least that is one good thing…”


“What’s that?” The tick asks. “Brian, what is it?” The tick is all concerned...yeah right!


“We always used condoms. I insisted. I have never barebacked. Despite him wanting to.”


“We can change that.”


The entire bar goes even quieter than it did when they first came back in.


“We can?” Brian smiles at him.


“Yes. Absolutely. Do you want to?”


“Yes. Absolutely.”



Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks