- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So, again I have to apologize for my abrupt departure. On Tuesday evening, I developed a migraine, which lasted through early Thursday morning, and then I spent all of yesterday, catching up on sleep due to it. As a result, I didn't write a damned thing until today. So, my plan is to write and post two vignettes today (which I did), tomorrow, and Sunday in the hope of catching up to my outline. Sorry for skipping out on you. And I hope you enjoy the next installments.


 

March 13

He stood in a shadowed corner, observing the frantic scurrying going on around him as the workers set up for his beloved's show, practically invisible. Part of it was due to the hustle and bustle around him; with too many unknowns – the caterers, the docents, and the maintenance crew – running about and setting up for this weekend's opening, it was easy to get lost in the crowd. With this many people, it was difficult to notice one extra person loitering. And if he had been noticed, he was wearing nondescript enough clothing that he didn't stand out, and the person usually shrugged it off and thought he was a part of one of the other crews.

But the biggest part of it was that he'd gotten very good at making himself invisible to the rest of the world; just as he liked it these days. While at one time, he would've loved the idea of everyone's eyes on him, watching him, admiring him; since the accident that had, not only taken away his memories and altered his face, but left him with a noticeable limp if he wasn't careful, he'd preferred to stay in the shadows.

They not only sheltered him from public ridicule; but they also allowed him to get closer to his beloved than if he'd decided to stand in the light. And for him, that was so much more important. Being near Justin had been all he'd ever wanted from the first time he'd seen his face. Blond and beautiful, he'd made him think of fallen angels; and although his reaction to his love's beauty had frightened him to a degree due to the power it had over him, he'd still been drawn in like a moth to a flame.

How could he not be?

For one so young, he had a passion and intensity that had captivated him and a zeal for life that had left him breathless. He was undaunted and fearless; and watching him create his art, was like watching him splash his soul onto canvas or paper or to imprint it into clay or stone or whatever medium he chose, for all the world to see and admire. And he'd often felt jealous of those little nuggets that he shared with the world as they should only belong to someone who cherishes him; like him.

Not that he had the chance to be near his love these days; Kinney, the unworthy asshole, had seen to that.

He'd been foolish, lashing out at Kinney the way he had through the painting and the loft, trying to erase all evidence of him in his beloved's life. He should have been much more circumspect as he had been during the previous years he'd watched and waited. At least then, he had been able to move freely around Justin; he had even spoken to him from time to time, with little concern because they'd never been aware of his presence.

And he'd hated that with every fiber of his being, but it had been enough for a time; just being able to bask in those sweet, bright smiles and that scent clung to him (something that he'd desperately tried to recreate with the others, but could never get quite right). To hear his voice, and feel the softness of his skin as their hands touched – it had been intoxicating. Even if the moments had been short-lived as he'd moved onto the next patron; or worse, to the asshole who could never love him the way he was meant to be loved.

It had been fine, if a bit unfulfilling, for a few years; and then the rumors that Kinney had knocked up his Prince had started on Liberty Avenue. Oh, how the queens had excitedly gossiped about the King and his Prince Consort and the coming Prince or Princess of Liberty Ave; they'd been overjoyed, discussing every little sign that pointed to it. And each and every word had sliced into him like a knife, and wound him tighter and tighter until finally, something inside him snapped.

Because how dare this unworthy bastard impregnate someone so pure and beautiful and meant for far greater things in life than to be some asshole's brood mare?

But even then, it wasn't until it was confirmed; that he had seen his love walking around, glowing in a way that told the world that he was carrying a new life, that his heart had shattered. Because this baby, this parasite, this leech, would bind him to Kinney in way that he'd never hope to bind his love. And it had enraged him to the point where all he'd seen was red and that had led him to unwisely striking out against the object of his pain.

Kinney was an asshole who hadn't even cared about, hadn't even appreciated his beautiful love in the beginning. Everyone knew the story of Kinney and his Prince; the little, blond twink who came into his life one night, and had completely tilted his world on its axis. They spoke of it with hushed awe and soft sighs at how romantic it had been that this blond had never given up on him, but slowly whittled away all of his walls until Kinney finally couldn't deny his feelings any longer.

And wasn't it just so sweet that Kinney had bought him a palace? A place where he could house his Prince, that he'd finally made the grand sacrifice and asked him to marry him; only to then let him go so he could pursue his dream, breaking his heart, and hoping that he would come back to him one day?

How revolting. Like Kinney hadn't done all those things to make sure that he kept his pretty, little lover firmly under his thumb. But then again, the romantic idiots were dumb enough to buy into the legend.

He should have seen Justin's worth from the very beginning; and maybe then, he would have a bit more respect for the man. But he hadn't, treating him as nothing more than a fuck, or so they said.

How this man couldn't have seen what he'd seen from the beginning, he didn't know. And he didn't deserve Justin's unswerving love and devotion. He didn't deserve the good things that had been handed to him in his life, given the way he'd fucked everything that moved, tossing them to the side like yesterday's garbage. Just as he'd done with his love in the beginning – tossing him aside, treating him as if he was nothing more than a convenient fuck, not realizing how blessed he was to be loved and worshiped by such a divine creature.

He didn't deserve his place in this beautiful man's life; could never appreciate Justin the way he could!

Clenching his fists, he sucked in a deep breath and looked around, panting a bit as he tried to rein his temper in. Losing it now would draw more attention to him, and then he'd never get close to his love again. He shifted uneasily on his feet, and surreptitiously looked around, trying to see if they'd noticed him at all; and then he gradually relaxed when no one seemed to be watching him or even casting a funny glance his way.

He slumped against the wall, and took several deep breaths; that had been close, too close to him losing it and doing something destructive once again. Despite the rage, the hate bubbling in his gut every time he thought of his nemesis, every time he'd had to watch his enemy touch and kiss and hold his love, he had to be careful.

Justin was far too well watched these days between Kinney and his minions. Getting close to him these days was difficult. Not only was his love stressed and constantly looking over his shoulder (and it hurt; had broke his heart that his actions had brought such fear and stress into his love's life; but it had been necessary; this way they couldn't ignore him any longer because soon, soon he would be in a place to get the usurper out of his love's life and then he could be there to comfort and put his love back together); but he had people trailing his every move.

He wasn't able to talk to him or touch him or linger for too long as Kinney's minions might just look at him far too closely, and he wasn't quite ready to take what was rightfully his; had been his from the moment he'd first saw him, even if he hadn't been able to claim him at that time.

But soon there would come a time where he would have it all.

He'd be the one to laugh and love with Justin; and he'd be the one to touch all that creamy, soft skin that seemed to glow from the inside out. And he'd be the one to brush those golden, silk strands from his eyes. And he'd be the one to kiss those unbelievably soft, pink lips. He he'd drown in his scent, and the deep blue of his eyes.

It was just a matter of patience and time.

His safe haven was almost completed; the place where they would live and love and he would cherish this beautiful man for the divine being that he was. And he knew that Justin would then realize, would appreciate the lengths that he would go to love him.

"Can I help you, sir?" a voice asked, and he startled, not expecting to have been noticed in his little corner since everyone had just walked by him with the barest glance.

He snapped his head to the left, and fell into familiar pools of wide cerulean blue, set into delicate features, and peaches and cream skin, and framed with long, golden blond hair. And his heart fluttered; of course, if anyone was to notice him, it would be the object of his love, devotion and fascination. He had far too keen of a mind and eye not to notice.

"Sorry," he said, careful to augment his voice to a bit, making it lower and rougher than usual as he didn't want to be recognized. Not yet. It was too soon. But it was oh-so-tempting at the same time, because Justin was right there. "I was just looking at the piece over there. It's very striking and I got lost in my thoughts."

"Ah," Justin said; his eyes were still a bit wary, but a soft smile flowed over his face as he turned to the indicated piece. "It's called A Quiet Place. It's one of my favorites; it's an abstract depiction of a place on my property that my husband and I like to walk to; and just sit and talk about anything and everything on our minds; or when we just need a place to be quiet with or without each other. I've always felt at peace there."

And that rankled a bit; he didn't want to hear about Kinney or see the soft look on his beloved's face as he talked about the bastard. But he managed to bite back the heated retort on the tip of his tongue. It wasn't time for him to say anything yet. Justin needed time to see the light.

"Your husband is a lucky man," he said instead, keeping his face in the shadows as one of Kinney's minions took notice of the two of them. He needed to get out of there before they became to concerned and walked over.

"I like to think that I'm the lucky one," Justin said with a smile, staring at the picture as he laid his hand over the parasite, rubbing it gently. "How could I not be with such a bold, dynamic and wonderful man at my side?"

"Justin!" an older man called out to his beloved, and he was pretty certain it was the gallery owner that was waving Justin away from him and over to where another piece of artwork was being adjusted. "Come over here and tell me what you think of this placement."

"Excuse me," Justin said with a wry smile as he walked away. "But it seems that an artist's work is never done around here."

"It's fine," he said, both relieved and saddened that their time was cut short – while he wanted to be near his love as much as possible, he knew it was too soon and if he lingered any longer, Kinney's minions would get suspicious now that he'd been spotted. "I should get back to work myself."

Justin smiled and walked over to the older man, his smile broadening and lighting up the room as he nodded. "It looks great, Sydney. I really glad you made this the centerpiece. Summer Walk is my favorite after Mist and A Quiet Place. It's actually from when Brian and I went to on our honeymoon tour."

"Tour?" Sydney laughed, looking heartily amused as he looked at the piece, and again, that flash of rage and jealousy flashed through his breast; yet another piece of art that was somehow tied to the undeserving bastard.

"Brian never does anything by halves, as you well know," Justin rolled his eyes and laughed, his face glowing. "There is really no other word for a near two-month honeymoon trip around the world. He made sure that we hit every place I even briefly mentioned that I wanted to see. This was from when we were in Greece."

"He's a good man, even if he'd deny it until he was blue in the face," Sydney chuckled, shaking his head with amusement. "You're both lucky to have found each other."

"We are," Justin said, a small, content smile on his face.

And that was enough for him; he had to get out of there before he ripped the artwork from the wall, broke it into as many pieces as he could and set it aflame, to burn the way his heart was currently burning. Keeping his head low, he followed one of the workers out of the main gallery, and through the back door to quietly slip away.

He didn't understand what hold that undeserving bastard, Kinney, had over his beautiful love. It was frustrating to see Justin speak of the man like he was in any way, shape or form worthy of his love and attention. That Kinney in any way deserved his devotion.

Something had to be done; he had to break this spell Kinney had over his love; and soon, before he lost the last bit of his patience and acted on his desires before it was time.