- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

AN: Sorry to have been posting so late these past few days; I typically try to post around 7 p.m. PST, but lately I've just been busy with other things that usually eats into my typical writing time. Hopefully it will be better this coming week.


 

January 28

Leo sat back with a groan of appreciation, sipping from his glass of wine; he really wished he could eat more of the fine meal that Justin had provided for them, but he was almost full and he wanted to save some room for whatever dessert that Justin and Anna had prepared this evening.

Setting his wine aside, Leo stared mournfully at his plate, the rich taste of duck still in his mouth and silently toasted the cooks. They'd started with a lovely mint and watercress soup topped with a goat's cheese crostini; and followed that with an arugula salad with a lemon-parmesan dressing. Then the main had been seared duck breast with cherries and a port wine reduction, wild mushroom risotto and asparagus.

The duck had been seared to a perfect medium-rare; although, he did notice that Justin's had been cooked all the way through, which made sense given his pregnancy. It had been the perfect end, to a lovely day with the boys.

It was funny; when he'd first met Brian, he had admired his bold, brash personality and his determination not to let anything get in the way of what he wanted. They were traits that were good in a business man, especially in the person that was selling your product. But he hadn't liked the man all that much. He'd heard the rumors; that Brian Kinney played as hard as he worked and never passed up a man that caught his eye. That he was a wild card, who got things done, but wasn't the most reliable sort unless it came to business and getting it done.

And then there was the whole gay thing, which he'd never really understood and had been uncomfortable with at first. His atrocious behavior when Drew Boyd had first come out a huge indicator as to his mentality at that point in time. Thankfully, his wife had kicked some sense into him when she'd heard about it.

That was why, when Brian had introduced Justin as his partner, when that bright, bold man, who had stolen Leo's company for Vanguard, then came back and stole it away from him, he just didn't get it. Justin seemed to be the exact opposite of Brian in every way - bright, sunny and cheerful, a true optimist and more than happy to set up home and hearth. More the kind of man that he'd want in a son-in-law than someone he saw as the Shark-Known-as-Brian-Kinney's life and business partner.

And then, he'd seen them together in the boardroom; and never had he watched a partnership jell the way theirs did. It was like they were reading each other's minds half of the time; and when it came to business, Justin was just as, if not more so, ruthless than Brian. It had been rather awe inspiring.

And then, when he'd found out that Justin was the lead artist on the boards, and not only that, but the Justin Taylor, whose painting Serendipity was hanging in his living room, well he'd just about been bowled over.

But more importantly, he saw a different side to Brian Kinney when he interacted with Justin; the boy brought out, not a softer side, but definitely softened the harsher edges of his personality. He liked the way Brian would often look to Justin for his opinion, and not defer to it per se, but certainly took it into account unless it came to the artistic side of the business; and then it was obvious that that was Justin's domain.

They made a stunning team, and it had prompted him to take a chance and invite the younger couple out to dinner with him and his Lucille. And he hadn't regretted the decision since, as a friendship that he'd come to cherish had developed over the years. It also didn't hurt that Justin was the apple of Lucille's eye. If Leo hadn't known any better, he'd swear that Justin was her long lost child.

"That was a wonderful meal, Justin," Lucille said, jarring Leo out of his musings; and he felt momentarily embarrassed that he'd let his thoughts get away from him. Justin beamed with pleasure, nearly blinding the entire room. "I'm surprised that you and Brian remain as trim as you do, if you eat like that all the time."

"Justin could eat his weight in food and not gain an ounce," Brian snorted, sending his husband a tongue in cheek grin. "It's annoying actually. Me? I have to exercise five times a week to maintain what he does just by running around the house."

"I remember those days," Leo sighed, patting his belly; which was full of glorious food and wine. "Sadly; I gain weight if I even look at food these days." He raised his glass to his wife. "Luckily, my lovely Lucy loves me anyways."

"So, I'm assuming that I can't tempt you into dessert then," Justin said teasingly, knowing full well that Leo had a notorious sweet tooth and he wouldn't miss it.

"I never said that," Leo said quickly and then gave a deep, belly laugh. "Let's not be too hasty there; I always have room for dessert. It'll just be more of me to love."

"Oh, pish posh," Lucille snorted, rolling her eyes at Leo, her words warming Leo's heart. "As if you aren't the same gorgeous man I married thirty years ago, you well you know it."

"Well," Leo said thoughtfully, although the amused smirk on his mouth probably gave him away. "They always do say that eyesight is one of the first things to go."

"Oh, you," Lucille huffed and threw her napkin at him, while the rest of them laughed. "I'll have you know that my vision is perfectly fine, you old coot." She paused. "Then again…that is a green shirt you're wearing, right?" she said, squinting at his very obviously blue shirt.

Leo snorted and threw the napkin right back at her, making both Justin and Brian exchange fond looks with each other and laugh. Turning to the young couple, Leo was happy to see that glow that very few people get when they look at each other, but professed that the two sharing the moment were soulmates.

Yeah, he was a bit of a romantic; sue him.

"How about we adjourn to the living room for dessert and some after dinner drinks so that Anna can clean up," Brian said, interrupting Leo's thoughts as he set his napkin onto the table and stood.

"Oh, I can…" Justin immediately stood and made to clear the table; always willing to help, that dear boy. But he was halted in his tracks by Brian's stern look.

"Justin," Brian said, a warning in his tone; Justin looked as if he was going to protest, but quieted when Brian tucked a strand of his hair behind his ear and reminded him. "You know as well as I do that she'll never allow it."

"Ugh," Justin rolled his eyes and scrunched his nose. "I swear, between the two of you; I'd be wrapped up in swaddling if either of you had your way."

"But they're right, dear," Lucille said, smoothing the waters as she always did. She tucked her arm into Justin's. "I know how notoriously stubborn you can be, but let them fret and coddle you a bit. You're going to need it when it gets later into your pregnancy. Now come with me; I want to hear all about the plans for your shower. And I better get an invite young man. Nothing will keep me away from celebrating your first born."

And with that, Lucille expertly maneuvered Justin out the door. Brian just watched in awe, shaking his head at how easily Justin caved, while Leo snickered. Both boys should have known by now that Lucille always got her way.

"I've set up the dessert tray and the scotch and Mrs. Brown's favorite port in the room, Mr. Kinney," Anna said with a smile as she walked into the dining room. "There is peppermint tea for Justin, of course."

"Thank you, Anna," Brian said, nodding to her as he stepped around the table and headed toward Leo. "I appreciate you staying late and helping out."

"It's not a problem," Anna said, and then turned her attention to the table.

"Shall we catch up with our spouses?" Leo smirked, nodding his head towards the two voices echoing in the other room. "Before Lucy talks poor Justin's ear off."

"That's only if he hasn't done the same," Brian snorted, leading the way into the living room. He walked over to a small bar and held up a crystal decanter. "Scotch?"

"Please," Leo nodded as he took a seat in the armchair nearest the fire. Brian walked over and handed him a drink; he nodded his thanks, idly listening to Justin fill Lucy in on all the set details of the baby shower.

"Would you like some port, Lucille?" Brian asked as he walked back over to the bar and held up a bottle for her perusal.

"Please, darling," Lucille smiled, and held up her plate. "It will go perfectly with this caramel cheesecake."

Leo snickered, because only Lucille could get away with calling Brian Kinney, darling, and not have the man make a face or bite her head off. Although, it would have been amusing to see him try. Leo took a sip of his scotch and then took the plate of cheesecake from Justin, nodding his thanks.

Justin smiled and then turned away, reaching for the third plate, and cut an extra big slice of cheese cake, knowing that despite Brian denying he wanted any, he usually ended up stealing about a third of Justin's desserts. But as he was pulling away, he jostled his cup and knocked it over, splashing tea all over the tray.

"Oh, fuck," Justin cursed under his breath, and then flashed a sheepish smile as he picked up his tea cup. "Pardon my language. I spilled some tea."

"I'll get a towel," Brian said, setting the bottle of port onto the bar, missing the flash of alarm on Justin's face.

Leo raised a brow at that; especially when Justin sprang up from his chair and started walking swiftly across the room towards the downstairs linen closet; which, curiously enough, was only a few feet from where Brian was standing. It certainly would have made much more sense if Brian had gotten it; but for some reason, Justin didn't want Brian going over there. Something that Brian obviously realized too as he spun around and watched his husband's odd behavior with a frown.

"Uh, no that's okay," Justin said hastily, casting a nervous look Brian's way. "I'll get it."

"Justin, I'm closer to the closet and standing," Brian said, his frown deepening, but he remained standing by the bar as Justin breezed past him.

"It's fine," Justin said, his voice taking on a strident note, which seemed to do nothing to assuage Brian. "I was the one that spilled it, so I'll get." Brian continued to watch him oddly, prompting Justin to roll his eyes. "Jesus, Brian, it's just a few feet away. I think I can manage a trip to the closet all on my own."

"Sure you can; but you were sitting and I'm…closer…" Brian said slowly, cocking his head as he watched Justin with narrow eyes. And then something seemed to come to him and his lips compressed into a thin line as he walked towards the closet; he obviously knowing something was off with his husband.

Leo looked at Lucille and arched a brow, but she just shrugged and shook her head. So, she had no idea either. Brian, on the other hand, stepped up behind Justin and grabbed the door just as Justin was getting ready to close it; they both struggled with it for a few seconds before Brian merely glared down at the shorter man. Justin huffed and stepped aside, reluctantly letting the closet door go; and then he pursed his lips as Brian poked his head into the closet and made a triumphant cry.

Brian smirked and then pulled out a couple of well-known boxes, much to Justin's annoyance. "And just what do we have here, Sunshine?"

Leo snorted with amusement now that he knew what was going on; Cynthia had filled him in on the ongoing Twinkie struggle. Lucille chuckled herself and watched the two husbands spar with a great deal of pleasure and fondness. Well, things were never boring with them.

"This looks like a box of Twinkies to me," Brian said with faux surprise; Justin just scowled and crossed his arms over his chest. "But that can't be as I specifically remember a conversation about this and how you weren't going to eat them anymore."

"In your dreams maybe," Justin hissed and snatched the boxes out of Brian's hands, holding them behind his back. "Me on the other hand; I recall telling you that I will eat my Twinkies when I damned well feel like it."

"Now Justin," Brian sighed, shaking his head at his husband; and if Leo was reading it right, he was more amused than annoyed. "You know I'm just looking out for your health."

"Don't care," Justin growled, tucking the Twinkies against his chest and holding onto them for dear life. "They're mine and you can't have them."

"Justin…" Brian said, but was quickly interrupted by Leo's darling wife.

"Oh Brian, leave the boy be," Lucille said with amusement, rolling her eyes as she set her plate aside. "If he wants his Twinkies, let him have his Twinkies. There are far worse things he could be eating." She stood and walked over to Justin and linked her arm with his. "Now, come dear; show me this mural you've been telling me about."

Justin walked off with Lucille, his precious Twinkies still tucked in his arms, and glanced over his shoulder, flashing a triumphant smile. Brian just shook his head and shot him a heated look. They conversed silently with their eyes, seemingly going back and forth, until finally Justin flushed and quickly looked away. Then it was Brian's turn to smirk triumphantly and saunter away. He walked over to the bar and poured himself a scotch, acting as if he'd won that confrontation. And he probably had based on Justin's reaction.

Sighing, Brian walked back over and sat down, taking a small bite out of Justin's cheesecake.

"A word of advice from a man that has been through this three times before?" Leo said with a small smirk, somehow knowing Brian didn't need the advice, but daring to impart it anyways. "Choose your battles wisely; because this is a battle you will never win."

"Oh, I know," Brian laughed, a tongue in cheek smile on his face. "To be honest, I don't even care all that much; I just find the entire thing amusing. As long as he's denied them, he'll keep craving them; and if I keep him focused on this, then I don't have to worry about him getting into worse mischief."

"Devious," Leo said, toasting him with his glass. "I always knew you were someone to watch. Hopefully Justin won't figure out what kind of game you're playing anytime soon."

"Oh, I'm sure he knows," Brian said, a touch of pride in his eyes. "He's a smart one even if he plays the naïve innocent at times to get his way. He has as much fun with these games as I do, so he willing plays along just to keep our friends guessing."

 

Chapter End Notes:

I actually had prompts for this one; not sure that I really hit them, but here they are:

Prompts: Leo Brown POV; he and his wife are visiting; there to finalize the campaign they discussed when Brian flew to Chicago; Leo and his wife are fans of Justin's, so they find any reason to see him. Hence the visit, because Brian didn't bring him on this last trip. Mrs Brown (Lucille?) was very disappointed Justin didn't come and just had to go see him since he's expecting.