- Text Size +

CHAPTER 13 - SETTING BOUNDARIES AND CROSSING THEM


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - LATE MORNING, TWO DAYS LATER


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


I haven’t opened the store in the last couple of days because Brian hasn’t returned one single phone call. I am not happy! I try him again and this time, he picks up and I put him on speaker. “Finally! You mean to tell me that you are actually alive?!”


“Bye.”


I stare at my screen for a few seconds...he has actually hung up! I try him again, but it rolls immediately to voicemail. I decide to send him a text: there seems to be something wrong with your phone. I just called you and was cut off and then it went to voicemail. It didn’t sound like you who said ‘bye’ to me in such a callous way. You need to take your phone off of your latest trick and call your BEST FRIEND back. I read it twice and feel pleased that it has just the right amount of dosage for a good guilt trip in it then press send.


Less than a minute later, my phone beeps. I get myself comfortable on my couch and open up my phone and then almost spit out my coffee. I have no idea who you are. But you WILL stop texting me as I will be blocking your number forthwith.


I almost break the screen, jabbing out his number and again, it goes to voicemail. As I look out the window seething, I am surprised to see Lindsay walking up the road. I trot to the door and call out to her.


“Lindsay!” She turns around and smiles. “What are you doing around here?”


“Just visiting a friend I know. What are you doing here?”


“What am I...I live here, remember? This is the house that Brian bought me.”


“This? He bought you this?” She looks at my house with envy.


“Yes. This house, everything in it and a trip round the world. He so loves me, though we have had a minor tiff.”


“Ah yes, he did say something about that. Such a shame. Well I hope that you two can patch up your differences. It would be so sad for this long friendship to end over something so inconsequential.”


“Inconsequential. You call what he is doing inconsequential?” I demand. “It’s not as if…”


“Michael, Michael, Michael. You know what Brian is like. He gets it into his head and then bam! So be the bigger person you know that you are and let him think he’s won this. Just say sorry and all will be well.”


“He’s the bigger person, is he?” We both turn at Ted’s snarking tones. “And where pray tell is this friend of yours, Lindsay? You have as many friends here as he does.” He jabs his finger at me. “Now, I have come here to tell you yet again, Michael to stop contacting Brian. Take him off all communications relating to anything. That includes anything relating to your store or your life in general. The agreement, which you don’t like, but willingly signed, says no financial support. Now Lindsay, I would caution you against going to pay a house visit to anyone related to Gus. Take these words on board both of you.” He gives us one more filthy look before walking off down the street.


“Who the hell does he think he is speaking to me like that?!” Lindsay carps. “I can do, go and see whomever I want. And that is what I will do!”


“Me too!” I nod vehemently and stalk back inside. I watch her flounce up the street and then think about what Ted just said then decide to follow her. She stops outside a beautiful house and folds her arms, staring darkly at it. Just as she’s about to walk off, a removal van pulls up and starts to unload. I watch as a curly haired woman gets out of the van, too.


“What are you doing here?” She sneers at Lindsay.


“I have come to say so…”


“Go away. Whatever it is you want to say, this incubator doesn’t want to hear it!”


“I should have your mother arrested!” Lindsay spits at her.


“Thought you were here to say sorry. Isn’t that what you were going to lie through your teeth to say? But as for mom, go ahead. See how far you get!”


“Don’t test me, Daphne! Just because you carried Gus it doesn’t make you untouchable! I have this knack for getting what I want, when I want!”


“You do? Then how come I am the one with this house? How come I am the one who is friends with Brian? You are what to him exactly; you and that parasite that has been following you up the street? Yes I can see you, Mr Nobody!”


“You’re Gus’s mother?!” I gasp. “I thought that was Cynthia!”


“You okay, Daph?!” Someone shouts across the street and starts to approach. “Need some help?”


“No thanks, John. I’ve got this,” she says, glaring back at me and Lindsay.


“Mr Red Brick, what are you doing this end of the block?”


“My name is…”


“I know your name. I just don’t care to use it.” He retorts. “Now it looks to me like she doesn’t want you two to be here. And as far as one of you goes, I wholeheartedly agree. So go about your business elsewhere.”


“I will be back, Daphne. Mark my words!” Lindsay marches off to wherever the hell she is going while Daphne yells at her retreating back.


“Consider me warned and unbothered! I can beat you in my sleep!” She laughs.


“Mr Red Brick, you live down there so go down there...NOW!”


LINDSAY’S COTTAGE - EARLY EVENING


LOUNGE


LINDSAY


I thought he was lying like he lied about putting in a bid for my cottage. But no, he was telling the truth! That gorgeous property belongs to her. And on top of that, she put a notice in the country club newsletter notifying people of her new address. How pretentious! What I just don’t understand is the connection between her and Cynthia. Methinks a bit of genealogical digging is called for and half an hour later, I am astonished. I can’t believe they are cousins by marriage!


I am bought out of my planning by the door being knocked on. I am surprised to see Mel on the other side.


“Melanie, to what…”


“Leave Daphne Chanders alone!” She interrupts me, coldly. “Stay away from her house! You have no right or reason to be there!”


“What on…”


“I am speaking to you as the legal representative of Kinnetic Estates and she has made a complaint about you for trespass, harassment and threatening behaviour. Stay away from her and her property. Is that understood, Ms Peterson?” I just gape at her. “A simple yes or no will suffice. Standing there looking like a guppy does not get my question answered.”


“I understand what you have said, but not…”


“That’s all I need to hear. This is your first and last warning. Have a pleasant evening.”


BRITIN - AN HOUR LATER


MICHAEL


I stare at the security guard in disbelief. “He’s done what?”


“Moved.” He repeats. “He no longer lives here.


“That’s bullshit! He wouldn’t move from here; he’s only just moved in!”


“There is nobody living here, as I have said three times already. Now sir, you’ve wasted enough of my time. Please leave!”


I glare at him one more time before storming to my car and starting to head up the drive. “He wouldn’t move without telling me... he wouldn’t!!” I mutter crossly to myself and then have a thought so head to Ma’s.


DEBS HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


HALLWAY


CARL


“You can stare at me until your eyeballs dry up. If Brian hasn’t told you then we sure as hell aren’t going to!”


“Michael, what are you doing here?” Ma comes down the stairs, pulling on her robe.


“I went to see Brian at Britin. Why didn’t you tell me he’s moved?!”


“Why should I have done that? It’s not my place and none of your concern. He’s not your friend anymore, remember?”


“He is my friend! Always will be. Now the address is?!”


“Not being given out by us! Besides, it’s far too late for you to be going around now. Gus is most likely asleep. Now go home, Michael!” I grab his arm and propel him out of the door, shutting it firmly and quickly.


BEN AND JUSTIN’S HOUSE - THURSDAY LUNCHTIME


JUSTIN


“Oh for fuck sake!” I grumble as Michael comes down the path. Today was going to be a day of quiet marking, or so I had hoped. I grab my bag and step out.


“Sorry Michael, I haven’t got time to stop. Need to be in school in half an hour.”


“Is Ben in then? I can ask him.”


“Nope, no Ben. Sorry, must dash.”


“It’s a really quick question. Do you know where Brian is living now?” I stop and stare at him as if he’s got two heads. “What? Well, do you know or not?!”


“Yes, I do know and no, I am not telling you. You and him have fallen out…”


“We have not fallen out!” He snaps and actually stamps his foot in annoyance.


“Is he talking to you? No. Has he made an effort to tell you where he lives? No. Ergo, you have fallen out. Now unless you want to fall out with me too, I would go back home and leave me and Ben out of this!”


“I’ll just ask Daphne then! I know where she lives!”


“Oh please do so I can come and watch. It will be fun watching her slap you again!”


“That was to get a bug!” He explodes.


“No, it wasn’t!” I scoff at his continued stupidity. “That was a bitch slap and a well deserved one! I am no longer having this conversation with you. In fact, I’m no longer having any conversation with you ever again, if I can help it!”


WOODY’S - EARLY EVENING


BRIAN


I smirk and raise my glass to Brandon as he tries, and ultimately fails, to not look pleased to see Emmett as he approaches my table. “Think you need to go say hello to your man before he explodes.” I tell Ems and he lights up like a fucking candle on spotting Brandon.


“He’s not my man, but I’m working on it.” He grins and waves him over...the only thing he doesn’t do is break into a run!


“Looks like a new Stud will need to be crowned.” I laugh as Emmett kisses his cheek.


“There is only one Stud and that’s you, Brian. No pretenders to the crown need apply!”


I sigh and close my eyes at the sound of his voice.


“Go away, Michael.” Ems tells him, getting between me and him. “We just want to enjoy our drinks in peace.”


“I am allowed to go where I want; this is a free country.” He states and puts his drink on the table.


“Bye Ems, Brandon. See you on Saturday.”


“Brian, this is getting silly now! You are behaving like a child!”


“Show me your hands, Ems.” He frowns and does so. “Promise me you won’t bring a bottle.” I smile at his look at indignation.


“You swine!” He exclaims.


“Promise?”


“Oh alright.” He grumbles. “Pool table is free. You fancy a game?” He doesn’t wait for Brandon to answer, he just pulls him after him. “And you don’t allow anyone to chase you out of anywhere. Another drink, yes?”


“Yeah, please a…”


“Kinney, it’s on its way!” Carlos, the barman shouts.


“So what time is the party?” Michael asks.


I don’t answer his question, but do break into a grin.


“I knew you…”


“Hey Teach, what are you doing here?” I call out as Justin approaches.


“I could ask you the same question. This is a school night after all.” He puts down two glasses.


“Who are you with?”


“Daph. She’s outside on the phone to Cyn.”


“Where’s Ben?”


“You two both are being very rude!” Michael exclaims.


“On a date. You remember the bald headed guy from the block party?” I nod. “He called him after Daph took his phone and threatened to call him for him.”


“She shouldn’t do that. It’s…”


We continue ignore the pain in the ass that just won’t leave and continue as if he’s not still standing here.


“What’s going on with Brandon and Emmett?” Justin asks me. “Have they progressed passed playful flirting?”


“What? They are…” Michael tries to join the conversation again.


“Here, Kinney.” Carlos puts the drink down and winks at me and I smell an Emmett plot.


“So Teach, have you marked my paper?”


“Yes and I found you have a very good eye.”


“What are…”


Jesus, how much of a hint has to be thrown at him?! May I ask for a brick and not risk going to Hell?


“So what did I get or are you not allowed to disclose until I am in class?”


“What class? What the hell are you…”


PLEASE GOD!!!! I promise to be good if you would just be so kind as to drop an anvil on his head right now...


“Oh give me that!” Daph exclaims as she joins us at the table and completely ignores Michael. “She’s bitching at me because she can’t get near Little Grub! I told her not to take him to her mother’s!”


“Little…”


God, he just keeps trying...being very trying!!!


“So how’d I do?” I ask Justin, trying to keep my hands to myself. If God doesn’t work quick, I might actually risk jail time.


“Not telling.” He grins at me.


“Brian! Stop this!” Michael yells.


“Do you hear anything?” Daph grins at me and I shake my head. I should kiss her for bringing me back into focus, but who I really want to kiss… “Thought not. Ooh, pool table!”


“I will not be fucking ignored!” Michael shrieks, slamming down his glass so hard that it breaks and sends pieces of it flying.


“Ouch! Fuck!” Justin yelps, clapping his hand over his eye.


“Oh no! Justin, are you okay?!” Daph exclaims.


“Let me see!” I demand.


“Move, Brian! What happened?” Brandon is over in seconds.


He pitched a fit and broke his glass. I think some went in Justin’s eye.”


“Justin, try not to blink, okay?” Brandon orders.


“Ow-ow-ow!” Justin groans.


“Yeah, there’s glass in there. I can see it. Need a glass of water; let’s see if we can rinse it out.”


For ten minutes, he pours glass after glass in Justin’s eye until finally, it’s out.


“Blink for me. How does it feel?” He asks him.


“Okay, I can’t feel anything. Thanks Brandon.”


“No problem.”


“Where’s he gone?” I demand, looking around to find no Michael.


“Slunk off like the yellow bellied sewer rat that he is.” Carlos replies.


“Are you okay?” I ask Justin. But while he nods, there is something in his face that gives me pause. “Let me get you home. Daph, you coming?”


“No. You go look after your boy.” She replies. “And you let him.” She tells Justin.


BEN AND JUSTIN’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


ATTIC


JUSTIN


I take the coffee from him and sigh. “I was temporarily blind for three years when I was eleven. I was in a car accident that killed my father and sister.” He just stares at me. “Mom was at home.”


“Fuck me.” He whispers.


“That’s why I got into sky watching.” I continue and allow myself to be pulled into his arms. I relish the gentle touch of his fingers in my hair. “I opened my eyes one night and saw the moon.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Plerase review kindly and constructively. Thanks