- Text Size +

CHAPTER 2 - KINNEY’S KINGDOM AND PEOPLE'S PLACE IN IT


TED


I watch all their faces show either annoyance or surprise. No prizes for guessing what is going on with Michael’s!


“Wait, what do you mean he’s managing your portfolio?” Mel demands, frowning. “When did that happen? The portfolio and the managing of it, I mean.”


“Not that it is anybody’s concern but ours... However, it was just after Brian bought this place. I came house hunting with Debs. She was going to go for the house two streets up, but I persuaded her to take this one instead. Brian happened to mention that he was interested in property and me, being the property whore that I am, showed him one I had seen dirt cheap. He snapped it up and voila, a partnership was born.”


“How many homes do you have now?” Carl asks.


“Now? How do you know about it?” Michael’s frustration is beginning to build and it is oh so amusing to watch.


“Well, where do you think we get the crime statistics from?” Emmett smirks, relishing yet again at having another thing over Michael.


“And because of the NDA that Emmy signed, he cannot disclose that information. Let’s just say I have a lot of property dotted in and around Pittsburgh, especially in Greenfield and Shadyside. The house that you are living in now, Michael is part of my portfolio. It’s the only one that I don’t actually own anymore. But the rest of them, I rent out.”


“So the house is mine, as in you won’t take it back?” Michael queries, narrowing his eyes.


“Yes, the store and the house are in your name. I wouldn’t take them back anyway.”


He gives a smug and sickly sweet smile. “That’s because I’m your best friend and…”


“No, it’s not because of that. The house was dirt cheap, like Emmett said. It would cost me more money to take it off you. Same for the store. Are we now done with this conversation? I don’t know about anyone else, but I’ve come here to actually eat.”


“Yes, we’re done with this conversation.” Debs declares, but she is still frowning at Michael and again, he shakes his head. “Let’s go eat.”


“Wait a second! So Emmett bought my house and not you?”


Brian sighs as he takes his seat at the dining table. “No, Emmett selected the house and I paid for it.” He then sits back and looks at Michael’s expression. “You like it less now that you know that Emmett had a hand in it?”


“No, it’s just that I thought you had picked it for me.” He pouts.


“The only house I have picked is the one in West Virginia and I can’t wait to move into it.”


This causes Debs to almost break her neck, whipping her head around to look at Michael. “I thought you would be staying with Michael in Greenfield?”


“God, no! I’ve had 2 years of being with Michael. He’s on his own.” Brian laughs. “Seriously, can we eat now?”


Debs nods and starts to serve the rest of the meal, which is eaten in virtual silence as people absorb what has been said.


KITCHEN - AN HOUR LATER


MEL


“I can’t believe that he and Emmett are in a business partnership! It explains the uptick in his sartorial choices. He must be on a pretty penny.” I look across at Lindsay, who is washing up with a pinched expression. “What’s wrong?”


“He never said anything about this partnership with Emmett. I, as one of his closest friends, should have been told! I wonder how many houses he has.”


“He won’t tell you and neither can Emmett. Though, I had to quietly laugh when Michael realised that his best friend didn’t handpick the house. What’s the problem with Emmett having picked it anyway? From the pictures he’s been sending us, it’s a very nice place.”


“I don’t know, to be honest. All I know is that he and Michael do not get along. They had a falling out before Michael and Brian went on the trip.”


“So are you going to ask him before he reverts back to being the Stud of Liberty Avenue?” I ask, trying to keep the distaste out of my voice.


“Obviously, before! And the quicker, the better from what I’m gathering. I don’t see what the problem will be. I never got to explain before that…”


“It was a one-time offer that you rejected. Vehemently so, I might add.” Emmett startles us as he comes in and shuts the door. “In fact, you were positively rabid in your vociferous dismissal. Both of you and now all of a sudden, again, you want to ask him? Oh no, ladies, if I may even call you that, it’s not going to happen! Not on my watch!”


“Emmett…” Lindsay begins to placate, but he holds up his hand. “...I will not be silenced! I have known Brian longer than you have and…”


“Regarded him as beneath you. But now he’s got money, he’s a dear friend, is he?”


“He’s always been a dear friend; we’ve just never social…” She glares at him as he begins to laugh. “...what is so funny?”


“Such a dear friend that you didn’t even invite him to your engagement party?! You invited everyone, but him. Lucky for you, he couldn’t come anyway as he was going to the White Party! Does he even know you are engaged? If he does, when did you tell him it happened?”


“We told him soon after he left with Michael.” I tell him but can see Lindsay’s cheeks starting to flame.


“It was our news to tell and when to tell it!” Lindsay retorts, defiantly.


“How long did it take for you to realise he was not going to send you an engagement present though?” He smirks as Lindsay blushes more. “He’s not going to do it. He said no then and he’ll keep saying no. Get it from someone else!”


“Well, it won’t be you despite your…” Lindsay starts to hiss and I shake my head in despair, this is not the way to end this. “...new circumstances!”


“Of course, it won’t be me.” He sniffs, looking us both up and down in disgust. “It’s bad enough that I am in your company but to be tied to you forever and a day...no-no-no! Nobody deserves that torture...except the pair of you! Now if you will excuse me, I have to go and see one of Brian’s new tenants. Seems to be a problem with the house...the $275,000 house. Toodles!”


Lindsay opens and then closes her mouth before turning back to the sink and resuming the washing up.


“He’s wrong!” She spits. “Brian will give us the baby that we want.”


I say nothing but think to myself the baby that you want, not me. Not anymore!


BEN AND JUSTIN’S HOUSE, BLOOMFIELD AVENUE, GREENFIELD - AN HOUR LATER


BEN


“Must be the realtor! I’ll get it!” I shout up to Justin, who is attempting to take his telescope up to the attic.


“Okay!” He puffs and then pauses before starting again. I shake my head at his refusal of help and go to answer the door. “Next time, I take this a-fucking-part!” He grumbles.


“Told you to do that!” I shout up at my stubborn friend and roommate.


“Quiet and open the door!” He yells back.


“Hi, I’m Emmett Honey...wow! I mean, Cutt.” He clears his throat. “I’m Emmett Honeycutt. You left a message about the...sorry, could you put on a shirt please?”


I smile at his frankness and grab the tee I had just taken off and beckon him inside. “Ben Bruckner. Is that better?”


“From a professional perspective, yes, but aesthetically, no.” He grins and then clears his throat. “Okay so what’s the problem?”


I chuckle as I lead him into the lounge. “You didn’t need to come over right now; it’s not urgent, like I said. Also, it’s not a problem as such, but it’s just we would prefer a sofa instead of a sofa bed.”


“Oh honey, you got me out of a place I didn’t want to be, with a couple of people I didn’t want to be with, so trust me, it was urgent. But okay, we will swap that. Anything else while I’m here?”


“Yeah. Can you unlock the attic, please? I want to put my telescope up.” Justin asks as he comes in, wiping his brow.


“Didn’t they give you the key to that?” We shake our heads. “Oh, the idiots! First thing I said was to make sure you have all the keys. Okay, let’s go and see it. Can it stay where it is for now?” I see him wince. After his camera, it is his pride and joy. “That would be a very polite no. You lead and I’ll call.”


“Philippa, it’s me. I need the key to the attic for Plot 625 on Bloomfield Avenue. Well, who has it then? Ah, okay, I’ll call him.” He smiles as he rolls his eyes. “Seems that you and the keyholder have something in common.” We frown at each other and he grins again. “The night sky.” He punches in the numbers on his phone and begins speaking. “Big Bad, I just spoke to Philippa. She says you still have the attic key to Plot 625. Plot 625 is the one with the skylight that...ah, you remember it. Yes, we’ve rented it out. Okay, see you in a few.” He grins again. “Big Bad will be here in about 40 minutes. Is that too long to wait?”


“No, that’s fine. We can get some supplies in, get to know the neighbourhood a bit. Do you know any of the people round here?”


He frowns. “Nope, nobody at all. Look, why not go and do your thang and I’ll wait for him to get here.”


We exchange looks before nodding. I get a good vibe off of him. Ten minutes later, we’re making our way to the store to get some food.


OUTSIDE MICHAEL’S HOUSE - 40 MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


He has done nothing but bitch and moan ever since we got in the car. “Michael, for the last time, stop bitching about Emmett being the one that got you your house and store! You have a house and store that you would ordinarily not have. Now go inside and enjoy the fucking thing! I have to hand some keys over to Emmett.”


“You have a place round here? Can I see it?” He gives me the look.


“No, it’s rented now and I can’t let you inside as…”


“But I’m your best friend, it’s not as if I’m going to do anything!” He pouts, folding his arms for extra effect.


“Who you are is not relevant. Go in and enjoy your fucking house. That is their house. You wouldn’t want someone to be in your place, now would you?”


“Of course not! It’s private!” He bridles and I roll my eyes at his double standard.


“I have to go so get out, Michael.” I tell him firmly.


“Alright, alright!” He grumbles before getting out of the car and just about not slamming the door. “So this thing with the advertising agency... you’re not really going to do it, are you?”


“Depends on how the figures work out, but don’t see why not.”


“But you’ve only just gotten back and you don’t need to…”


“Schmidt knew I’d want something to do so he’s potentially found that.” I retort, getting pig sick of his moaning which started when we took off for London and hasn’t stopped since! “And if I do or do not do anything, it’s nothing to do with you. You have a store to open and a house to set up. And I have an Emmett to placate…”


“Placate? Why?” He pauses in mid-stomp up the path.


I don’t answer and cross the road to Plot 625, ignoring him calling me. Emmett opens the door quickly and I slip inside, sighing in relief. But then tensing up when the door knocks. “I’ll sort it out, you go and open the attic. Oh there’s a telescope in front of the door.”


I nod and take the stairs two at time, smirking as Emmett’s way of sorting it out with Michael is to leave him outside!


I whistle when I see the scope. It is a top of line one and very nice. I open up the attic and wrinkle my nose at the mustiness and dust. “If he’s anything like me, he won’t like this at all!” I murmur to myself as I open the window and the fresh air flows in.


“Let me in, Emmett! I want to speak to Brian!” I can hear Michael shouting.


“This is a client’s house! Go to yours and wait for him there!” He responds and I just shake my head again and sigh.


I go down the stairs and shake my keys at him and smirk. With a grin, he takes them off me and rushes out the back. I can see the silhouette of Michael outside the door with his arms folded...again, no doubt. When I hear the purr of my engine start, he’s suddenly dashing down the path and shouting my name.


I take the stairs again quickly and can see him standing by the empty space where my car was, just staring down at the road. He shakes his head and finally goes back to his own house. Two minutes later, I hear the back door opening.


“Only me!” Emmett calls up.


“Can you bring some cleaning products with you?! This place is a mess!”


“Sure thing, honey!” He calls back and within half an hour, the place is spotless. “Are we finally done? We are not moving that sofa bed just one more time!” He bitches.


“Yeah, just need to do one more thing.” I tell him before we let ourselves out.


FORTY MINUTES LATER


BEN


“Emmett?!” I call out, but get no response. It’s then that I see a note pinned to the spindle with a key looped around the newel. “Okay, here’s the key. They have moved the sofa bed out and put the telescope in the attic. They will arrange for the sofa to be delivered on Friday.”


“They moved the telescope in!” Justin exclaims and takes the stairs two at a time.


JUSTIN


I am fuming! I had that almost perfectly set up, which is one of the reasons, I didn’t want to take it apart! I look at the attic and marvel at the room and realise that they have also moved the sofa up here too, and then at my telescope, gasping.


“What’s wrong? Do I need to call Emmett?” Ben asks, knowing what I am like about my scope.


“It’s...I don’t believe it.” I sigh as I look at the darkening sky.


“Hello Emmett, it’s Ben Bruckner.” I hear him say and wave at him. “Uh, hang on a sec…”


“Hang up, it’s perfect. Perfectly aligned.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thank you