- Text Size +

CHAPTER 21 - OH SNAP! CRASH...AND SIT DOG SIT!


LINDSAY’S COTTAGE - SATURDAY MORNING


LINDSAY


I survey the damage with dismay and watch Mr Jones make notes. He’s been very quiet and I find it a little irksome. “So, Mr Jones…” I begin solicitously. “...what do you think?”


“You were wise to move out. Unwise to not fix the damage as you were told to. At best, you are looking at $30,000.”


“To have it repaired?!” I gasp.


“No, Ms Peterson…” His nose wrinkles in disgust at the pungent smell. “...to sell it. That would be your best course of action.” He gets this priggish smile on his face when I gasp. “It needs major renovations now and the rot has to be fixed. You’d be lucky if you got that, in this market. Well...”


“But…”


“Ms Peterson.” He gives me a pinched look. “You wouldn’t get more than that in your claim either. By selling it, you leave someone else to do the work...again.”


“As I’ve said to you before, Mr Jones, that was the responsibility of my former partner…”


“Ms Peterson. My job here is done. I will furnish you and your former partner, a Ms Marcus, with the copy of the report. And…”


“Well thank you for doing your job with such aplomb. I look forward to receiving it.” I make a sweeping gesture indicating his arrogant ass is no longer welcome. “Although…” I pause for dramatic effect. “...I may get a second opinion.”


“Get as many opinions as you like. They will still tell you that you are at fault and you…” He again looks priggish. “...it would seem to me are at fault in most aspects of your life.”


“How dare you?!” I exclaim. “I shall report your rudeness to your superiors!”


“I look forward to receiving it. Look at the letterhead and business card, Ms Peterson. I work for myself. You really don’t like reading, do you?” His derisive laugh grates as he starts to leave, but then he stops and stares. “Oh dear, Ms Peterson. Your claim has to be re-evaluated. You seem to have some water damage in the hallway, which, from what I can see, is unrelated to the lounge. Dear me. I shall send a colleague as soon as I can.”


“I don’t believe you!” I snap and quickly rush out, but there is a big patch of damp on the wall, it seems to be getting wider as I stare at it. “And how much is that going to cost me?”


“Like I said, I will send a colleague around. Good day.”


LIBERTY AVENUE - AN HOUR LATER


CARL


It’s a boys’ only day! Debs has been hauled off by Emmett to look at a couple of houses. As I walk down Liberty Avenue pushing Little Grub, I smile about the Copernicus smackdown Brian received and how easily he caved.


“Carl!” A shrill and definitely unwanted voice bursts through my joy. My initial thought is to keep walking and ignore the fool. But I am curious about what he wants to demand now, so after a quick check on Little Grub, who is blowing bubbles at me, I turn to see him clutching an envelope. “Oh so you did hear me, then?”


“The dead could hear you!” A guy with headphones mutters as he passes and I tamp down my smirk at his grimace.


“So what do you want?” I sigh as he glowers at the man’s retreating back.


“I want you to give this to Ma.” He says, attempting to hand the envelope to me. “Aren’t you going to take it?”


“What is it?”


“Can you just take it? And since you have him, I assume that Brian is fucking and sucking somewhere?”


“No. He has a name and Brian’s location has sweet FA to do with you. You want your mother to receive whatever that is, either mail it or drop it round. Now my grandson and I are going to continue our boys’ day out.”


“Boys’ day out?” He scoffs. “He can hardly have a beer with you, can he?”


“What an insular and isolated life you are starting to lead, Michael. There is more to life than comics, crap plastic toys, beers and right-hand jobs, or is it with your left?” He looks like he’s holding in a shit as his face has such a pinched look. “Well, while you work out the big words I just used then, we shall be on our way.”


“Why are you calling him your grandson? You’re not related to Brian!” He calls out.


“And Brian is not related to Debs, but that doesn’t make her any the less his mother!” I shout over my shoulder, as I keep walking, knowing that if I get within smacking distance, I will lose my badge, and I am close to retirement!


MICHAEL’S STORE - TWO HOURS LATER


MICHAEL


I was going to go to Ma’s just to drop it through her door, but then I got a message to say that my delivery was close. But here I am still waiting for it. I call the company again. “Yes this is Michael Novotny. I got a message from you to say that my delivery is close, but it isn’t here yet. Yes, it is order number 2864K39.” I drum my fingers as they slowly go through the system. “Of course I am still here. Right, so the driver is where? Well why was I texted earlier if he was still in traffic? Can you find out? Of course I will hold.” I sigh at the stupidity of the question and the time it is taking. “Yes. An accident, a coach party. Well anyway, he’ll be here when? Where is he anyway? Well of course I am going to wait! This is what I have been doing!” I hang up and shake my head at their pissy attitude. “I have been waiting all my life actually!”


A MILE AWAY FROM BUHL PLANETARIUM


NORMAN


“I am so sorry! I am so sorry!” Marcus blathers, and I am struggling not to punch him in the face.


“So when Mr Taylor, who for your sake had better be okay, asked for volunteers to help with the driving, how in the fuck did you not think to mention that you haven’t passed your fucking test?!”


“Norman, I feel…”


“Mr Karanski to you! No, honestly, I’m fine, tend to them, it’s just some minor cuts.” I look at the coach on its side and thank the stars that the fool wasn’t going any faster than he was when he took the turn. Four fucking times Mr Taylor told him to slow down, but he didn’t listen.


“So…” A police officer comes up to us both. “You were driving, sir?”


“No. This idiot.” I point at Marcus. “This idiot who hasn’t passed his test was! Do you know how they are?” I look in the direction of the retreating ambulances. “And where they’re going?”


“Alleghany. Three of them have serious injuries. A woman has a broken leg, one guy has major blood loss and they think the guy who was standing when the coach overturned, has spinal damage. The rest are minor cuts, bruises and concussion.”


“Oh my god. Poor Mr Kinney…”


“So, can you tell me what happened?” The officer asks. “Let’s start with your name.”


“Norman Karanski…”


A&E, ALLEGHANY HOSPITAL


BRANDON


I rush into A&E and gasp as I see a bloodied and bruised Brian on the triage bed. “What happened?!” I demand immediately checking him and wincing at the neck brace and back board.


“Coach wreck.” The nurse speaks rapidly. “He was standing up when it overturned and was thrown, stuff landed on top of him. Blood pressure is steady and he’s come to a couple of times. Dr Stone is covering the one with the blood loss. Another bad one is the blonde in 4, but he’s mostly in shock and upset, has tried to get in here a couple of times.”


“Okay, get him up to X-ray immediately. I’ll check on 4!”


As I rush out, I pray with everything that I have in me!


WAITING ROOM, AN HOUR LATER


EMMETT


I prayed on the souls of Liza and Judy, and they have come through for us! They are all going to be fine! Brian’s injuries were more cosmetic than anything else. The ‘blood’ he was covered in turned out to be someone else’s, he came out of there without any major cuts. As did Justin...bruises though lots of bruises


“Emmett! Emmett!” I jump at the screeching voice of Michael. “Where’s Brian? What happened?!”


“What are you doing here?!” Mel demands, mercifully getting between me and him, I need to take my fears out on someone and his face will do!


“Where else would I be?! I’ll be right back!” He rushes to the reception desk and we exchange frowns as he pulls out a piece of paper. He starts to wave it in the nurse’s face and his voice gets louder. “This is the power of attorney I have for him! I demand to see him right now!”


“Ah, Houston we are going to have a problem.” Mel sighs and heads to the desk, I follow, as I wouldn’t miss this for the world! “Michael!” She shouts but he waves her away without turning around. “You do not have his POA, Emmett does.”


He almost trips over his whirling feet as he turns around so fast. “Why the fuck does he have his POA?! I am his best friend!”


“He has less emotion about Brian than you and would think logically...and kindly.” Ted explains as he comes up. “They have charged Marcus Newbold with dangerous driving to keep him in jail.”


“What?!” He screams, a vein pumping furiously in his cheek. “I do not get emotional about Brian! I want to see him right now! I have the right to see him! I am his friend!”


I think the entire waiting room thought yeah right! Padded cell for the denial queen!


“At least you have taken the best out of that worn-ass mantra!” I snap. “Brian is not having any visitors, apart from immediate family, which means just Debs and Carl.” I take in a much needed breath and step forward. “And if you say that she is not his mother I will knock you through that fucking wall!” That has the desired effect as all he does is nod. “Go over there and sit down. You will see him when either they or I say you can. Be grateful that I am letting you remain here!” Again he nods and goes and sits down. “I know this is a huge imposition, Teddy, but can you sit with him so he stays there? If he moves, I swear…”


“Ems, say no more.” Ted squeezes my arm and follows Michael.


I do a whoosah gesture to cleanse away the bad air, and find Mel staring at me strangely and frown. “What? What are you looking at me like that for? I have never liked him and...seriously what?!”


“No...nothing I’ve just never seen you like that. It was a surprise, a good one, but a surprise.”


“Ooh when I get my kink on there is no stopping me!” I laugh. “Now, I’m going to avail myself of the facilities, I will be right back.” She nods and goes to keep that dog on a leash with Teddy.


MEL


Well I’ll be fucking damned! I think it’s Emmett!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks