- Text Size +

CHAPTER 32 - LITTLE GRUB AND DAPH DO SOME UNINTENTIONAL STEALING


NANCY


As I look around the restaurant, I realise what that unsettling feeling I have had for a while is, the cold shoulder. I look across at the Finches and think about what Jennifer just said.


“Nancy.” I pull myself out of my thoughts and smile at Charlotte Moore. “I hate to say this, but we have to move you table wise, but if it helps you have been moved up as opposed to down.” The Finches are still talking to Jennifer. Sighing and nodding, I head to the bar to join Ronald, who virtually abandoned me the moment Jennifer started to berate me.


“Should we stay for the dinner?” I ask him.


“A last hurrah. We might as well as we’ve paid enough for it.” He signals the barman. “A highball please, and what do you...did you know that Lindsay was coming?”


I turn around and see my daughter, and as usual she looks stunning. “She said she would try to get a place. Looks like as well as that she has a new friend. Shall we go over and introduce ourselves?”


“Yes, but first what did you want to drink?” He repeats with the beginnings of a scowl.


“What’s wrong? Is it what Jennifer said?”


“Partly, but also have just seen the seating plan. We’re definitely being shouldered, but I am unsure why….”


“Because your daughter is a lesbian and she lied about that.” Annabella interrupts us coldly and calmly. “For years, not just a few months, years. She was insulting to Daphne by calling her an incubator for the baby she was carrying for Cynthia, who she called a barren bitch. She then said that she, not Cynthia, would be the mother of the child of Brian Kinney. She’s lied and insulted and has to have gotten it from somewhere. And having seen you in action in the past, I am going to say from home…you specifically, Nancy. Now excuse me, I have company to enjoy.” She starts to walk away but then pauses. “Oh, and that cottage of hers…”


“Yes, what about it? I understand that Mel had…” I cut her off as swiftly as I can.


“Mel did nothing wrong. It was down to Lindsay to get the works done and she didn’t. So I don’t think Mel should contribute to the $80,000 bill for it in my opinion…”


“$80,000?” Ronald looks quickly at Lindsay who is staring at the door with a look of disbelief on her face. “Good grief is that Mel?!” He gasps.



“Yes. It seems that ditching, I would say at least 154 pounds of pale flabbiness, does wonders for an out and proud lesbian!”


“Nancy, I do believe it time for us to have a chat with…”


“Ladies and gentlemen! Ladies and gentlemen!” Melissa calls out. “We will be sitting down in 20 minutes.”


RONALD


“Nancy, come on. Thank you for the enlightening chat, Annabella.” I take Nancy firmly by the elbow and lead her up to Lindsay. “Ah, Lindsay my dear, how are you, you are looking radiant.”


She tears her eyes away from watching Mel and Diana hold fingers and looks at us. “Hi there, are you…”


“Luke?” Melissa interrupts and I am beginning to get peevish. “Is that you, Luke Dreyfuss?”


“Yes.” He replies and then smiles. “Melissa Chan...oh my god!” He gasps, and is looking behind us. “That’s not Daphne is it?”


“Talking to George you mean?” She grins as Lindsay glowers. “It is indeed. So you remember her do you?”


“Hell yeah!” He smiles. “Excuse me a minute, Lindsay, old school friend.” He and Melissa quickly make their way over.


“So care to explain what it’s for?” I growl at her.


“What’s what for?” She frowns, her gaze alternating between Mel and Luke.


“The extra $10,000 for your cottage repairs. I would’ve had no problem giving you the money if you had asked for it. But you have it now, so what’s it for?” I can actually hear her thinking...no them thinking because they have matching rabbit in headlights posture. “So she was right then? She learned from you. I’m no fool, nor should you treat me as such. So answer the…”


“Finally!” I hear Melissa cry out and turn around to see what she is talking about.


“Sidney! Hello!” I smile as he approaches.


“Hello Ronald, Nancy and Lindsay.” While he is warm to Nancy and I, he is noticeably chilly towards Lindsay. “Are we on the same table?”


“Sidney, you never said you were coming to this event.” Lindsay smiles at him.


“Why should my personal social life be any of your concern?” He replies briskly. “So what table are you on, Ronald?”


“4th. I have the plan here. And so are you. So what changed your mind?”


“As you know, Ronald, my wife is a member and she missed last year’s, she’s always wanted to come here. Rather ingenious move on Melissa’s part. Oh doesn’t Mel look gorgeous? I will go and say hello in a minute. I just wanted to ask Lindsay something.” He turns to face her. “Do you know a Michael Novotny?”


“Yes. Why?”


“Well he is outside making a bit of a scene and mentioned that you have his ticket. Perhaps you should go and quell that unseemly display?”


She grimaces and nods before she heads to the front door with Nancy hot on her heels. I clear my throat and look him in eye. “What’s going on? Not that I’m totally complaining about being denied membership for the next term, but someone has told me about things Lindsay has been doing here and I wondered if she’d…”


“Did you give her any money for her cottage repairs? Forgive the bluntness of the question.”


“Yes, I was just talking to her about it why?”


“She has savings. She can cover more than half the bill apparently. Did you know that?”


I let out an angry breath. “No I didn’t. How do you know how?”


“I...I overheard. I wasn’t eavesdropping, I was returning to my office after she fainted and she was talking to another colleague.”


“Thank you for telling me. I had a feeling something wasn’t quite right with the tears. You should go and catch up with Mel. I will join you in a few minutes.” He nods and heads in Mel’s direction. I watch the door for a few minutes and then smile at the strained expressions on their faces and they have been joined by, who I am assuming is Michael Novotny. He, however swerves to the bar clutching his drink ticket like it’s gold dust. “Is it all sorted out I take it?” I ask her and she nods. “So how much?”


“How much what, Ronald? You are asking random questions.”


“How much money do you have in savings, Lindsay? I don’t know who you have pissed off for people to keep tattling on you but tattling they are.” I check the seating plan again, thus giving her time to formulate her answer. “And while you are thinking about that, and most likely reducing the amount by at least 50%, can you explain why all your friends are on the top table and you are...you know what, forget it.” I whisper savagely enough for them to wince. “I don’t care what it is for! Or how much savings you, both...yes, Nancy, I look to you too, have. Keep it! Split it between the two of you! I knew I should’ve paid attention during the interminable dinners and cocktail parties, when you were blatherskiting about your life. Just know this, do not approach me for any more money. If you want some ask your mother! Now excuse me, I am going to say hello to Mel. I have no problem with being around a lesbian, which you, when you are in your nest of society friends, clearly did!”


LINDSAY


I turn to mother and glare at her. ”We will discuss this over lunch on Saturday. I am not impressed. You said that daddy knew about me calling Mel, Melvin, as far as the club was concerned!”


Her look is equally as baleful. “I thought he was aware. And besides, I didn't realise you had been doing it for years. A few months would’ve been more than fine!” She sighs as she adjusts her collar. “Let’s not fight amongst ourselves, darling. As for the money, let your father calm down. So this character you are house sharing with…”


“Michael. Oh, I have designs on that house mother. You’d be so proud of me!”


“Do tell. But first let’s go and see what has got Melissa all of a hysterical twitter.”


“Most probably stubbed her toe or something.” I sneer. “And besides, Luke is taking too long over there. He is my date!”


“Exactly darling, go and claim what is yours!”


As we stride over to the group of them I spot the top of Mel’s head. “Can you believe she and Diana though?” I shudder slightly. “A strange coupling.”


“No more strange than you and Melvin.” Cynthia harps from behind me, and when I turn around and see who she is with I am astonished. “Excuse us, I’m just going to introduce Hunter to my son.”


“Where have I seen you before?” Hunter stops and stares at me and I start to go red. “Oh yeah, you were at that place where your boyfriend was arrested.”


BOYFRIEND!


“Uh, excuse me but I’m not…”


“Still playing the straight card I see.” Annabella comments, and I am nudged in the ribs by my mother as the Bull-Wearings are close by.


“Oh, Lindsay, sorry to have taken so long...” Luke comes up to me with a slight frown. “I didn't realise that you and him are dating...”


“We’re…”


“Well, that makes things a lot simpler. He can take my place at the table. I’ve been invited to sit with Daph as there is a spare seat. Melissa assumed that Brian’s plus one would be an adult but it’s not, it’s his son. It is all a bit convoluted table wise, I have to say.” He frowns before turning back and calling Daphne over. “Can you explain the seating to me again?”


She gives him the doh look. “It’s really quite simple. Justin and Brian are a couple and Brian asked for an extra ticket. But we thought it was for an adult but it’s not. So you get to use that seat. Cyn’s mom had already put down a plus one for Cyn but not the name, and that’s Hunter. Mel and Diana were already down for each other...methinks they will be going down too. And…”


“We still have a spare seat though.” He interrupts


“Not anymore.” Melissa comes over and I gasp as she is carrying Gus in his carrier “Look at this wee boy, doesn’t he look smart. Thank goodness Debs and Carl talked him out of calling him Copernicus. He’s definitely a Gus. Now the table is full because Ronald is going to join us. Jennifer insisted as this is the last dinner for him for a while.”


“Lindsay! Lindsay!” I close my eyes briefly as Michael’s voice arrives a lot sooner than he does! “Where am I sitting?”


“Yes, where are you and your boyfriend going to sit?” Daphne smirks.


“Melissa, can I have my son please?!” Brian exclaims as he comes up, his face falls a bit on seeing me and that hurts. “I know he’s a handsome devil but…”


“Oh Brian. A word if I may?” Jennifer interrupts. “I’ve got someone you really need to meet. They are looking to change their advertising company. Not sure if you’ve heard of Richmand and Donald.”


“Yes, yes I have, lead the way. But first let me find Justin and Ted.”


“Oh, you are kidding me!” Hunter smiles as he brushes Gus’s cheek. “You make beautiful babies! Hi, I’m Hunter Montgomery.”



“The guy who fucked up my sign!” Michael grouses, and then glares expectantly at him.


“What’s with the look? I haven’t done anything wrong. The order was confirmed by you. If the police didn’t believe me, you know, what with me having proof and all, then I would’ve been the one charged and fined for it and not you.”


“Ladies and gentlemen! We will be being seated in the next five minutes!” George calls out, and without a backward glance daddy heads to the top table.


“So where am I sitting?!” Michael carps and I want to stand on his foot...again.


“With us on table 4.”


“Oh no, Lindsay and Nancy, so sorry, but you’ve been moved to table 6. The Finches brought a guest and they all know the Carters, so we’ve accommodated them by sitting them all together. You don’t mind, do you? After all you are only three that know each other.”


“Shouldn’t that be, that want to know each other?” Justin comes to join the fray. “I have been sent for Little Grub. Brian doesn’t want him around you.” He looks pointedly at Michael before turning his gaze to me. “Or you.”


“But it’s okay for him to be around a wannabe dominant is it?!” Michael bitches.


Mother and I smirk and wait for his response, the Bull-Wearings have moved closer, this will be so humiliating for the insipid twink! And as for Jennifer’s tenure, it will be tarnished before it starts!


“Yes it is.” Justin retorts taking Gus’s carrier. “Those are two separate things, I am not ashamed of what I am or what I like. Or should I say he likes. And he’s already racking up naughty points. I am going to enjoy telling him off.”


“You’re a dominant.” Charles Bull-Wearing gasps. “You look so innocent. I must admit that I…” He looks behind him. “...loved The Secretary is it like that?”


“A bit, I’m still new so still learning.” Justin answers. “Look, if you are interested then I can give you links and stuff.”


Charles nods and then turns to his wife. “Are we going to the table dear?” She nods. “I’ll find you later, Justin.” I fume as he, his wife and Annabella leave us with Justin.


“Sure. Bye now.” Justin smirks and walks away.


“So are we going to sit down or not?” Michael demands. “I am hungry and my feet hurt. You did cut my toe you know!”


“Lindsay, I hope you know what you are doing viz-a-viz him.” I nod. “As for what we do now, I suggest we all go home. This has been beyond tiresome.” With a curt nod at Michael she heads to the cloakroom.


“So we’re going home now? We’re not eating?” Michael looks hopeful and beams when I nod. “If we go now, as in right now, we can get home in time for the Batman marathon. Call the driver, Lindsay.” He orders, and heads to wait for it outside.


“Yes, mother is right this has been tiresome.” I sigh as I follow him out.


“Leaving so soon?” Mel’s voice halts me in my tracks.


“Not now Mel. I have a terrible head…”


“You have a terrible headache and a pain in your ass. Go home and rest you poor dear. I’m off to have fun, something I’ve realised I’ve never had with you.”


“Oh very…”


“Mel! There you are…” Diana comes out. “...oh it’s you. Are you going?”


“Yes, has a headache and a sore ego.” Mel tells her smirking.


“Don’t drink too much tonight, Mel.” Diana orders and Mel looks surprised. “I don’t want you having a headache to be a reason for me not to be able to jump you in the morning!”

 

“I will stick to water!” She laughs and allows herself to be lead away.

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thank you.