- Text Size +

CHAPTER 37 - PRAYING AND PAYING


SIDNEY’S OFFICE


SIDNEY


I can’t breathe! I can’t actually breathe for laughing! Her constipated ape expression and her I’m going to fix you glare were so funny! I clear my throat hard as the door knocks sharply, so round two starts now does it? “Enter!”


“Hi. May I have a word, Sidney?” Cassidy asks, and sits when I nod and smile. “It’s about the cataloguing. I know that we’re really behind and…”


“How behind is behind?” I grumble.


“About four to six weeks.” She winces and I start to smile. “I know that...what are you smiling for? This should not induce smiling?”


“It should when the person doing the cataloguing is Lindsay.”


“Lind…” She trails off and is quiet for a few minutes. “...I was going to suggest she take the Paris trip instead because most of the cataloguing is mine and because I know she’s been…”


“You’ve been covering for her, I think it is only fair that she covers for you. Enjoy Paris, make sure that Sarah changes the ticket before you tell Lindsay. And when you tell her, let her know that it is my decision and if she wants to discuss it, to come to me.”


“Okay. Are you…”


“Absolutely. You enjoy Paris and I will deal with Lindsay.”


MEL’S OFFICE - SAME TIME


DELIA


“Seriously, stop laughing!” I order her as I try once more to redo her mascara.


“I shouldn’t have opened the picture.” She hiccups as she wipes her eyes again, thus smearing her eyeliner.


“Mel!” I admonish her and take up a q-tip to correct it.


“But seriously she looked like Carrie, but instead of blood it was liquid horse shit!”


“Mel please!” I beg but it’s too late. I start to join her in the giggling until we are both tear streaked and gasping for air. “Send it to me!” I manage to croak out. “I know a few people who could do with the laugh!”


BUHL PLANETARIUM, CARNEGIE MELLON - EARLY EVENING


JUSTIN


Class has finished and I am beyond excited! Brian is coming, which is always a good thing, but he’s bringing Gus with him today!


“Good evening, Mr Taylor. We’re ready for class now.” I turn around and don’t know who to kiss first! I find myself slightly choked up as Gus is wearing the little jeans and sweater that I bought him, and so is his dad, well the sweater anyway! “You okay?”


“You both look so good.” I murmur, and head towards them. I kiss him with as little heat as I can, and he nods his acknowledgement of time and place and takes Gus out of his buggy. “Ah, there is my Little Grub.” I coo and get bubbles blown and a sweet smile.


“Where shall I lay out dinner?”


“Dinner?” I look at Brian in surprise, then notice the basket for the first time. “What have you got there?”


“Well, for Gus, some of the finest purees that we made after Debs went. And for us, some lobster rolls, a Cobb salad and peach and almond New York cheesecake.”


“Right there, just under the telescope.” I gesture towards the windows. My heart soars as he lays out the blanket for Gus, and then his little bowls. Although Debs threw out most of the stuff she prepared for him, we did keep some as back up just in case he doesn’t like what Daddy and I have done. “Are you ready?” I ask.


“Here goes nothing.” He replies, and takes a spoonful and puts it in front of Gus’s mouth and immediately he clams up. “Oh…” He looks so disappointed.


“No. Don’t. Patience remember, it’s new to him.” I remind him gently and he nods and tries again, and this time Gus frowns before opening his mouth a little and taking a tiny taste...we both hold our breath and wait for him to spit it back out, but he doesn’t, he gives a little squeal so he feeds him the rest of the spoonful. Soon he has finished his tub and we are playing rock, paper, scissors! For what goes in must come out! “Oh man!” I sigh as I lose and the groan even more when I look at the tub. “Beetroot, you had to give him the beetroot one today?!”


“It matched his outfit, so if there was a leak then…”


“You aren’t serious with...oh jeez, Gus!” I exclaim as he lets rip and looks pleased with himself!


“You never know, he might just have parped.”


“Par…” I begin only to be interrupted again by Gus and that was definitely not a parp! “Okay, wee man, let’s go; I suggest you stop looking so pleased with yourself or him!” I chide Brian who wisely wipes the smile off of his face! Twenty minutes later we are back and find Brian staring through the telescope. “Let me put him down and could we hold off our food for a bit, please?” He, once again wisely, just nods.


“So big and so beautiful.” He sighs.


“Why thank you, kind sir.” I chuckle as I join him by the telescope. He smiles and pulls me in front of him. “But you are right, so very beautiful.”


“You know something? Hate to kill the mood here, but there has been something a bit off. I mean, you remember that list of demands from Michael, including him wanting to be made the legal guardian of Guy?”


“Yes!” I growl.


“He’s not done anything about it. I mean, nothing. I have known Michael for years. I didn’t get him a birthday present and...”


“I see what you mean. For a man that screams so loud, he’s been remarkably quiet about everything monetary, he just seems to want you to be the Stud again.”


“Not going to happen.”


“Good. Now come on, let’s eat.” I order, getting the yes sir smile, but with a hint of mischief.


“The food or each other?”


“Each other and then food.” I groan before I suck his bottom lip into my mouth.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - NEXT MORNING


KITCHEN


LINDSAY


This cleaning service that Michael has got is superb. He leaves it like a cesspit, and they sweep in and put it back in order. I am so glad that there is more than one bathroom in this place, because having to go in after him would’ve been appalling!


“Lindsay! Have you been in my bedroom and moved stuff about?” Michael yells as he storms in.


“Of course not, it’s a gross invasion of privacy! How dare you suggest that?!”


“Then where have they gone?”


“Where have what gone?” I return as I put my cup the dishwasher.


“My magazines and other stuff!”


“What are you talking about, Michael? Can you make it quick as I have to get to work?!”


“The things that were in my chest at the bottom of my bed, plainly speaking my wank mags and sex toys!”


“I have no idea that you had that in here, and even if I did, I would never touch them. Now excuse me, I have to go. Looking at some masterpieces will hopefully clear that image you have created in my mind!”


KINNETIC INC


CYNTHIA’S OFFICE


HUNTER


Once more I hand Debbie a tissue and wait for her to continue. “...and I only realised that he proposed when...when Brian told me to back off on Little, I mean Gus.”


“Ah, he finally said it did he?” Emmett smiles and nods. “Thought it would get to him.”


“He didn’t say it, I mean he did, but only after Justin was really pissed with me.” She sniffs and then wipes her eyes. “Which he, I mean they, had every right to be.” She sighs. “And I have apologised to Carl too.”


“Good.” Cynthia smiles. “So have we at least agreed on a date?”


“Two months’ time.” She beams.


“Why then?” Daph asks.


“He retires in a month. Give him time to see if he can take me all the time.” Her smile falters.


“Debbie?” Emmett looks at me and then Daph, I am still not quite sure what I am doing here!


“What if he can’t? What if he retires and then realises that he can’t…”


“Stop that, Mrs Soon to be Horvath!” Daph exclaims startling her. “How long have you been with Carl?” She softens her tone.


“About six years now. Met him in the diner, what is now Kinnetic Estates.” She smiles. “It was Brian who told me that I was being checked out, and that was that.”


“So he was in there for one day and never went to the diner after that?” Cyn seems to know where Daph is going.


“No, he was in virtually every day.” She frowns.


“And he saw you in your splendour and wants to marry you because of that. You just got a little over enthusiastic with Gus and now you know what not to do, right?” Emmett squeezes her hand and she slowly starts to regain her smile. “So down to the reason that is Hunter.”


Finally, not that I have minded trying to persuade Cynthia that making out was a much better idea than the pitch she was trying to prepare...luckily the pitch is tomorrow so she has time!


“Signwriter extraordinaire who also does wedding invites.” Cyn explains.


“Oh, right!” I grin and then look at her carefully. “Blue and gold I think…” Emmett nods encouragingly. “Something like this…” I turn my iPad to face them and Daph and Cyn scramble to see.



“Oh, that is gorgeous! Is that just the envelope it comes in?” She sighs and I nod.


“And maybe this to go on the inside?”



“Oh, that is...that is…”


“So you. You and Carl.” Emmett smiles tearfully. “So venue, will be Britin of course and…”


“What?!” Debbie gasps. “Britin! But…”


“Kindly, my darling Mrs H-to-be, don’t interrupt the wedding co-ordinator while he is planning.”


“Wed…” She gapes. “...you’re going to…”


“Yes. We are. You will get final say of course but organise not a thing, the Avenue wants to say thank you and...and...so do I.”


“What about my dress?! You can’t do that for me?!” She wails.


“But I know a woman than can. In fact, three women that can. Two of them are here and the other one is Jennifer.”


“Do I at least get to pick the guests?” She demands, her voice quavering.


“Oh I suppose so!” He chuckles and leans over to kiss her damp cheek.


“THAT ABSOLUTE FUCKING FUCK!” Is bellowed from Ted’s office and we all rush in.


TED’S OFFICE


TED


I didn’t realise I shouted that loud until the door was banged open and worried eyes stare at me.


“How was that calm exactly, Schmidt?” Brian asks, even though he is grim faced with annoyance, he is remarkably calm.


“What’s going on?” Debs demands.


“Let me get Justin on the line.” Brian replies before gesturing that they should sit down.


“Hey there, you have saved me from marking hell and I’m glad you called because Marcus is pleading no contest. Go straight to jail.”


“At least that’s one thing to cross off our fucking annoying list. Remember our conversation last night about Michael and his quietness over money?”


“Yes.” Justin sounds wary and then he sighs. “He’s sent the invoice hasn’t he?”


“Yes.” Brian just shakes his head and takes it off me. “The bill for this month alone is $46,578.00.”


“Give me that!” Debs snarls and snatches it from him. “Are you fucking with me?! He’s actually serious with this?! He bought himself a minivan for his birthday from you!” She starts to stride around the room and then stops. “What the hell does ‘50% of fine for overnight stay mean’?”


“I have no idea. It will be something that will be taken up with him when the papers are…” I pause and then look at Brian. “You don’t think? Can I see that again?” Debs hands it to me and I sigh. “Debs is Carl at home?” She nods. “Call him and ask him to check your post, see if there is an envelope from Red Cape Comics there!” When she does and asks him to read it to her it takes her less than a minute to go from angry to Mount Debsuvius! “Get him to take a scan and email it to me!” I call out and she just nods.


It takes another 5 minutes for it to come through and when I get it I sigh. “Yeah I thought as much, he’s put the other 50% of the fine and the business cards on the invoice for you, Debs and…”


“I am going to rip him in half!” She explodes.


“No you are not.” Brian replies calmly, having been talking to Justin all this time. “We are going to call Mel and invoke the clause.”


“The clause? What clause?” Ems frowns and then smiles. “You actually put that in?! I was kidding!”


“You gave me the idea, I just finessed it a bit. Right, let me get onto Mel real quick.”


TWENTY MINUTES LATER


We are all stunned into silence. “You don’t think she would really do that do you?” Debs looks worried, when all said and done, she’s still her son.


“Yes, Debs. I think that’s exactly what she would do.” Daph replies. “She already tried to get my place by saying she would badmouth Brian about him and Justin.”


“I am sorry, Debs. After what he said me by proxy. I can’t countenance not enforcing this for Brian at least, if you don’t want to then that is your...” I trail off as I feel the heated glare of two of my dearest friends on my face.


EMMETT


“What he said about you by proxy, Ted? What did he say?” Brian demands as Ted winces.


“Ted?” I prompt him and he sits down. “Teddy?”


“You remember his comments about drug users in Woody’s?” I look at Brian who shakes his head. “Ah, you were making out at the time.” He sighs. “And you weren’t there yet, Ems. He said that all drug users are: sorrowful sacks of shit that should do the world a favour and just overdose. I don’t know why they get counselling. They get a nice place to stay and sleep, but then just go back to what they were doing. People like that should never get a chance once they fuck up. That’s him virtually word for word. But don’t worry, Blake soon put him in his place. But in light of my previous history and him saying that: they should be put against a wall and shot if the drugs didn’t kill them. He wouldn’t even save a family member or friend…


I hand Debs a tissue and head to give my dearest Teddy a hug, but Brian beats me to it. “So he would’ve left you to die then, Brian?!” Justin snarls from the phone, startling some of us as they had forgotten he was there such is their outrage.


“Oh no, Brian doesn’t do drugs, well at the time he did, but in Michael’s world he didn’t. Especially not when he was fucking, because he was heroically focused.


“What was it?” Debs asks quietly. “When was it and why wasn’t I told?”


“Cocaine, and when I went away for three months, it was because these two took me to rehab. I couldn’t tell you because...because I had already let them and myself down. I couldn’t let you down as well.” She gives him a small smile and then waves Brian away. “Oh, Carl knows. He got curious about my animosity. I made him give his word he wouldn’t tell you.”


“And he always keeps his word.” She gives him a one armed hug. “Well, I didn’t bring him up to be what he has become, and he’s not bringing that shit to my house. Involve the clause for me too.”


“Involve? Yeah, we will do that too, Ma.” Brian laughs. “Do you need to go be with your man, Ted? Because after hearing that, I just want to go home. In fact, let’s all just get out of here.”


“Okay, see you soon, Brian. Be calm and drive safe.” Justin calls out. “Oh, do you want a hot chocolate when you get here? Gus is still asleep, but should be nicely awake by the time you get home.”


“Oh yes, please. And I will. Later.”


“Later.”


“So which here do I tell Mel to send the docs for a signature?” I smile at him as everyone files out deep in thought.


“Blue Moon. Oh, wait no, they’re at his now, so by the time I get there, have hot chocolate and cookies, he does his marking and then calms me down...his.” He decides.


“He has cookies?” I smirk.


“Nicely ignored. Besides, it’s before seven and they are hazelnut praline.” He grins, then almost runs to his car.


“Alpha, your Omega is coming home.” I whisper to myself and pull out my phone to call my Doctor as I need to release a bit of tension!


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - AN HOUR LATER


BACK GARDEN




MICHAEL


The house is spic and span again, I do like Lorraine, she gets on with her work quickly and efficiently. As I head to the recycling bins to put in the newspaper, I see her still in the house, because normally when she starts to clean, I make myself scarce. I wave at her, but she doesn’t wave back. Shrugging, I lift the lid and just stare because there are all my magazines, torn to pieces with the word filth scrawled on them from what I can see, and my toys have been smashed to bits. “What the fuck?!”


“Ah, Mr Novotny, I am glad you are here.” I jump at Lorraine’s voice; then turn to face her and she has a bag of all my things in her hand. “I would’ve thought that you would’ve gotten the message by now that this…” She waves the bag at me. “...will not be tolerated! Now after this has been despatched with you and I will pray for your very soul. Clearly you need sterner guidance!”


I just stand there as she dumps the contents in the bin and all I can think of is that Brian is so going fucking to pay for that...for them and a lockable chest, they cost a fucking - or in this case non-wanking - fortune!


BLOOM GALLERY - AN HOUR LATER


SIDNEY’S OFFICE


LINDSAY


“But I have planned for that trip, Sidney!” I repeat firmly. “I have set up all the appointments with the galleries and…”


“Which was presumptive of you wasn’t it?”


“Presumptive? I am the gallery manager. I don’t think that is presumptive. It’s a matter of hierarchy and…”


“No it is a matter of deserving rewards for working hard and…”


“Deserving? You don’t think I worked hard?”


“But Cassidy worked harder. It’s only fair that she reaps the benefits of doing two jobs, don’t you think?”


“Two jobs? What do you mean by that?” I am trying to remain as cool as I can, but this is grossly unfair!


“Well, who do you think was covering for you during your many absences due to private melodrama? Now, as I have said, the decision is final. Cassidy is going and you are repaying her hard work by doing her cataloguing. Do you both understand that this issue is closed and there is to be no retribution on either side?”


“Yes, Sidney, and thank…” Crawl ass Cassidy starts, but oh no I will have my say.


“It’s your gallery and your decision, but I think a bit of leeway should’ve been…” I stop as Cassidy gasps. “...and why should that warrant that reaction from you?”


“Because of your wholly unwarranted sense of self! Now excuse me. I have to go and pack.”


“Now just a minute! How is that no retribution Sidney?”


“That is an opinion, to which she is entitled to, unlike the leeway, which you are not. Now, once again, this matter is closed. Kindly return to your desks, or in your case, Lindsay, the basement.”


“I see. Well I shall collect my phone first, would that be alright?”


“Be quick. And Cassidy, you and Paul have a safe flight.”


I flinch but say nothing as I head back to my desk and see my phone flashing; it’s a text from Michael. I can’t help it, I burst out laughing. He’s finally opened his store, but only because Lorraine has been the one clearing out his adult pieces of filth and made him pray with her for half an hour to absolve his filthy and lascivious ungodly thoughts. But it’s the last line about Brian going to pay that gets my attention. They should’ve had the post by now. I give Cassidy a scathing look as she skips out of the gallery. Soon I shall be out of here and living the life in Shadyside that I was born to live!

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.