- Text Size +

CHAPTER 59 - SUN STARTS TO RISE ON STAY...SIP AND EAT AND SETS ON THE BLONDE AMBITION!


TED AND BLAKE’S HOUSE - THURSDAY MORNING


KITCHEN


TED


“AND THERE ISN’T ENOUGH FUCKING CURRANTS IN THE FUCKING STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES, MY WAXER CANCELLED BECAUSE HIS FUCKING DOG HAD HER FUCKING PUPPIES, AND WE’RE GETTING MARRIED IN A YEAR!”


“Are you…”


“NO, I AM NOT FLIPPING FLAPPING DONE!!!” Blake screams, his face contorts in rage and is almost puce.


“Okay, continue queening.” I get up from where his first explosion blasted me into the seat and start to clean up the mess of the batter and broken bowl that preceded it.


“HOW CAN YOU BE SO FLIM FLAMMING FREAKING CALM?! WE ARE OPENING UP IN TWO DAYS, AND YOU ARE LIKE A PIGGING SWAN!” I pause in what I am doing. “SAY SOMETHING!”


“Will you stop queening so I can kiss you and then explain how to be rational?”


“RAT...RATIONAL! YOU WANT TO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO BE FRIGGING RATIONAL?!!”


“No, I want to kiss you calm and that will be…” I duck as the batter covered spoon flies at me and splats against the wall. There is a bang followed by the sound of breaking glass, then the sound of tears. “Did you cut yourself?” I call out, fetching the cleaning stuff from under the sink. “Blake?!”


“No! But I broke them.” He hiccups.


“Go and sit down.”


“Are you mad at me?” He snivels.


“A bit, but you're still my lil puddin’. Now go and sit down.”


“Okay.”


I find my lil puddin’ curled up in the corner of the sofa, staring morosely at the remains of our pair of swans. “Don’t even begin to think that this is a sign.” I chide him, and he closes his mouth. I clear up the mess in silence then go and sit next to him. “So, do you have a TDL that I can look at?”


He looks tearful again. “I can’t find it. Think it is in the kitchen. It has to be in there, it’s the only place it could be.”


“So why is it in there?”


“I was baking up a storm. I knocked it and heard a splut, but not where it splutted to. I am super tired and when I am like that, I get…”


“Super clumsy. First things first, a nap for you and I shall call for reinforcements.”


“Reinforcements?” He rests his head on my shoulder.


“Remember Del and Jennifer and their offer to help, which you airily turned down?”


“Hmm, maybe I was a little hasty there…” He twists the button on my shirt. “...I do need help with this.”


“Didn’t get to kiss you.” He says nothing. I look down and smile, his huge yawn tells me everything. “Come on you. Bed.”


“What about Hank and Marvin?” He points to the table where they once perched.


“Oh, H&M III will be taken down from the attic and the table moved.”


“H&M III?”


“Yep, I’ve slammed about in your absence, so I stocked up. We’re down to four once they are put somewhere other than there.”


“You really are the best.” He lifts my arm and puts it over his shoulder, I lean back so he can rest on my chest.


“Blake, which of your TDLs were you looking at when it all went tits up, and what colour is it on?”


“Mmm. Store, wedding and no colour. They are on my phone.” He mutters, and sighs sleepily.


“You've finally put your to do lists on your phone, I am imp…” I stop and then gulp, he whips his head off my chest and stares horrified at me. “...how many TDLs are on your phone?”


“All of them.”


“Work or personal?” I begin to sweat.


All of them.” He begins to sweat and we both fly into the kitchen.


“What time was it when it splutted?!” I demand. “Are you sure you had it here?!


“Yes I am sure! Three or maybe it was two! Super tired, remember?!”


“You’ve already queened!” I yell as I wrench open the cooler. “Can you at least remember what you were making?!”


“Su.per.ti.red!” He bellows from the pantry, his voice filled with desperation.


“Uh, lil puddin’, I think you were making jelly.” I pull the dish out and put it on the counter. He slowly approaches and relief starts to flood his face as he peers into the dish. “Well, that looks like your phone…” I pull mine out and dial, the dish buzzes and wibbles impressively. “...it still works! Apple does make things to last, don’t they?” He starts to giggle and reaches for a spatula to rescue it from its gelatinous tomb.


“It's Apple in an apple jelly.” He scrapes it clean. “Thank goodness you got me that cover.”


“Boringly practical has its uses.” I taste the tomb and nod. “First things first, take that TDL off your phone and use a notebook, then add that to the list of things to eat.”


“In general or for our wedding night?” He tastes it himself. “Definitely wedding. I think sucking that off your…”


“How tired are you? Would a relieved I found my phone fumble be out of the question?”


“Think that would be the perfect pre-sleep appetiser!” He takes his phone and the dish. “We need a practice run…”


“Practice suck you mean.” I growl as I propel him out of the door and upstairs.


Two hours later he is sleeping, with his eyes closed, and I am heading downstairs to call Mel. She is laughing as she picks up. “What's amusing you?” I put her on speaker so I can clean up at the same time.


“Daph has brought the video over! Oh sweet Jesus, did it just shrink?!”


“What video are you watching?!”


“Michael the fooldog being led…”


“Oh, can she send it to me, please?!”


“Of course!” Daph yells.


“Thanks, after this morning I need a laugh.” There is silence their end.


“What’s wrong?” Daph demands.


“Blake overdid the prep and is too proud to ask Del for…”


“Oh for goodness!” A voice grumbles. “Where are you, Ted?!”


“Who's that?” I stop cleaning and stare at my phone as there is rustling. “Mel, who…”


“Del. And I am calling Jennifer, where are you?”


“At home.” I sigh in relief. “He's taking a nap, and…”


“We will be there in an hour, two tops. Is this taste test or prep?” Del asks.


“I think it is prep for the opening, and then taste test next week for their cake.”


“Fine. Uh, boss, can I book next week off?”


“Absolutely.” Mel replies.


“See you soon, Ted.”


“But…” I begin to protest at her taking her holiday like that, but I am speaking into silence.


AN HOUR LATER


I gape as almost everyone, even Debs and Carl, are here! “What on…”


“Schmidt! Do not let him be chief taster, I need to sit!” Brian orders as he ties an apron around Justin’s waist.


“Same for Benson, please!” Ben is stacking the dishwasher and gets popped in the butt with a towel. “The last time you decimated those cookies, I had to fight you off with a hose and a barbell!”


“What is it with high-bubble-butted men?” Brian ponders as he looks from Benson to Justin, who are both proudly grinning.


“No idea.” Ben chuckles, and then looks across at a contemplative Emmett. “Ems? Any problems with Brandon and overdoing the sugar.”


“Well…”


“No!” Brandon asserts from inside the pantry and then goes very quiet.


“Oh you have to spread the love around now.” Del purrs as she strides to the pantry. A few seconds later, a vermillion faced Brandon is being pulled behind her. “Known him for a long time...and his kinks and foibles. Now I can keep guessing until I get it, and he will answer, for he does not lie when asked a direct question…” All eyes turn to Brandon. “...m’kay, so Emmett, when he gets hopped up what does…”


“I...I go to sleep.” Brandon mutters.


“After you’ve banged the shit out of him?” Del guesses with a smile.


“Doesn’t get that far, literally, too much sugar sends me into an almost catatonic state.”


“I am not following why this would be embarrassing honey?” Debs is on coffee.


“It’s not, it’s just dull. I am the dullest man in the world.” He sighs.


“Who is currently wearing a cage right now...looks so very sexy.” Emmett muses from inside the fridge.


“Yeah, that’s not dull!” Benson snickers. “Can we have a look?”


“Lesbian in the house!” Mel protests while staring at his crotch.


“Not in the kitchen, it’s unsanitary!” Brandon orders and heads to the lounge. We are too stunned to follow, so he pokes his head back in. “One time only!”


“Outta my way!” Justin exclaims, and misses the comical look of horror on Brian’s face as he strides into the lounge...


“Emmett.” Brian swallows hard. “How long has he had that on?”


“Since last night. His staying power is amazing, so proud.” Emmett waggles his eyebrows. “Well, go and look then!”


“Be right back!” Debs calls out.


“Deborah soon-to-be Horvath, stop right there!” Emmett rushes to halt her progress. “You are neither gay nor his mother, no!” She starts to head back towards the sinks. “Debs, you’ve been in my life for years, I know the fake Novotny retreat very well.” She smiles briefly but then looks sorrowful. “Aww, honey, has he been in contact at all?”


“Yes, but…” She looks across at Carl for help. “...he sounded so different. I’ve heard him angry, upset, pissed and fucked off, but this was new. He sounded cold and indifferent. He was saying all the right things, but I just didn’t believe the sentiment behind them.”


“What exactly did he say?” I ask. ‘Did he mention what happened at the palace?”


“No, he never, just asked if he could come around for dinner.”


“And you said?” Brian prompts.


“I wanted to say no but Carl said yes.”


“I haven't taught him my lesson yet.” Carl shrugs. “And it has been a long time coming.”


“Carl, what…” Debs begins, but is interrupted by a very pleased looking Justin and Ben coming in. “...are those faces for?”


“Look!” Justin waves his phone at Brian, who sighs as he takes it but then his eyes light up.


“Is he still…” He scans the room quickly. “...Brandon, don’t do them up yet!” He strides into the lounge.


“Should I worry?” Benson looks at Ben who just gives him a mysterious smile.


“Emmett!” His lordship bellows, and with a saucy grin he heads to his master’s voice.


Five minutes later all three return with Brandon looking proud. “And what’s that face for?” I ask.


“I am finally the Stud in something he’s not.” He preens.


“For now.” Brian hits back before handing Justin his phone. “I’ve ordered two. They vibrate. A rush delivery. Debs, can you look after Little…”


“Will collect him on Friday.” Debs chuckles, shaking her head at their interplay as Justin is gazing in undisguised lust at Brian. “You drove here, go take the edge off a little.”


“No, it’s okay. Ready to play Jiggle?” He purrs, and he slowly nods. “Anyone got a coin? Need to toss to see who starts.” I beat everyone to handing him a dime. “Heads or tails?”


“T...no heads.” His eyes never leave the coin as it flips in the air and then lands on the floor.


“Tails. Looks like a run of bad luck for you.” He hands me back the coin. “So, Ted, what are we doing?”


“I don’t know what you two are doing, but making cakes is what the rest of…” The door opening brings in Blake, who is looking much more rested. “...hey, sweetheart. The reinforcements have...be right back!” I hustle him back into the lounge to once more mop up his tears.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


MICHAEL


I take the box without a word and shut the door. The look on that guy’s face was so nauseatingly smug that I wanted nothing more than to have a death ray to remove him from this earth. Him and his smelly hairy small horse. I rest my head against the door to calm my temper and cool my face.


Sighing, I trudge back to the lounge and dump the box on the sofa. It has been the first time I have ventured near the door since that humiliation. I have avoided all calls...not, if I am honest, there have been a lot of them from my ex-family and friends, but then what did I expect?


I head to the kitchen and get some scissors and the garden shears then open the box and pull out the contents. It’s, as I knew it would be, the clothes I was wearing that night before everything happened. I still can’t believe what they did afterwards…


Start of flashback

PALACE GROUNDS - REHEARSAL DINNER EVENING


“Was that as much fun as you thought it would be?” Wilson goads me while twirling the loop of the leash in the air.


“I just want to go home.” I mutter.


“And you will. Ah, Dharvo, there you are.” I turn to the face of the waiter, but this time he has a huge dog with him. “Now this is the quickest and most private route to his house, take him now. I have seen more than enough of what little he has.”


“Yes, Wilson.”


“The car will be by the gates. I do hope the rain holds off. Take care of yourselves.”


“Thanks.”


He strokes the dogs head and then heads, laughing, back into the castle. I try not to shake as Dharvo looks me up and down. “Do not worry, you may be my tribe but not my type. I like a lot less flab and a lot more length. Come on, I am not wasting anymore time in your company. Oh, and I have a ball gag should you wish to whine or get chatty.”


I say nothing as he leads me to the gates, I can hear the crunch of wheels on gravel and stop. “Now, what are you doing?”


“Waiting for the car.”


“The car is for our return journey, and she is for your protection, should there be anything on the way home with no taste that fancies a nibble of you. Walkies!”


I daren’t speak as he jerks the lead and channel my tears into anger as I follow him all the way home. All I can think about is how my mother, she is no longer my Ma, has dishonoured and denigrated me by allowing this to happen! She could have and should have stopped them, they both should have. We don’t pass a single person, for which I am thankful, but he stops when he gets to the green behind my house.


“Here.” I hear the jangle of keys, I take them and he removes the leash. “We will send your clothes on.”


“Keep them, I don’t want to be reminded of this night!”


“Keep those bits of infantile garb in the palace? Wilson would never allow that. Goodnight, your Royal Roly-Polyness, perhaps the run to your house will lead to a much needed exercise programme.”


I do nothing but run to my house and pray that nobody sees me. Once again my prayers are answered. I sink against the door, gasping for air, it takes a while for me to regulate my breathing.


Finally, I can stand and head to the bedroom. As I pass the mirror, I look at myself. I look fine! I don’t see where this fat-bitching is coming from. As I slip on my robe, I think to myself, I am wheezing because I am in shock at what has happened, I am not out of shape!

End of flashback


I pick up the jeans first and start to cut them with the shears until they are completely destroyed. Then the tee-shirt and overshirt, but it’s when I come to the shoes and jacket that I pause. I put the shoes to one side, now I have broken those bastards in I am not cutting them up. The jacket, however, this is a conundrum to me, it holds memories...like the shoes...as it is the first piece of clothing that he bought for me on our trip. Shrugging, I put that aside too. “I can make another memory for that.”


CARNEGIE MELLON AMPHITHEATRE - FRIDAY EVENING


BRIAN


I am smug, a smug Stud in fact! Smug for one very big reason, I won the play-off with Justin, as I was determined to do and tomorrow that hot little pocket rocket has to wear a cage and not much else all weekend!


“Stop it! I am trying to be a teacher!” He chides me as he approaches and the Dean looks across smiling.


“What am I doing that prevents you from doing that?”


“Looking so pleased with yourself everytime you look at me.”


“But only you know the reason for my pride, so…”


He leads me to a private corner. “Do you know why the Dean keeps smiling at me? It is sort of freaking me out.”


“Oh that, yeah. When we were playing, you had your work phone with you.” I lick my bottom lip. “I noticed, you didn’t. So what are you going to do about me being such a bad-bad-boy?”


“Omega!” He gasps, clapping his hand over his mouth and pushing me further back. “I can’t believe you did that! He can see them! Our IT department can see them! I’ve only just started! This is...is...a joke right?”


“Nope. But I did send them to your personal phone when I got back and deleted them, then asked the Dean to play along…” He looks both relieved and vengeful. “...so, Alpha, what?”


“I will think of something! Now go and be proud over there. The finalists are being announced.”


I wiggle my butt as I saunter towards the other finalists of the art competition and then cease butt wiggling as I see Lindsay! What the hell is she doing here?! And judging by the expression on her face she’s thinking the same about me!


I don’t return her smile as I walk up to her. “What are you doing here?” I come straight to the point.


“You know my love of art, and…”


“Where’s the serf and the other scullery maid?” Her eye twitches. “Have you been shown to the kitchen yet?”


“Brian.” She growls. “You have more than made your point. Can we move on from this and…”


“I am in the world you are trying to return to. Take the hint. They don’t want you. Nobody does.”


“We will see about that. There are some wonderful pieces on display. What are you doing here anyway?”


“Justin works here, remember? I am here as his partner and…”


“Ladies and gentlemen! My apologies for the slight delay!” The Dean smiles at us all. “It gives me great pleasure to announce that the finalists for the bursary competition have been selected. Please, can you view the entries and those with at least two red dots have been selected. As per the competition rules, try to keep your disappointment or delight contained.”


“Like I said, we will see about that.” Lindsay smarms and heads to view the entries.


I am about to follow when my phone vibrates and I pull it out. Told you so! Love, Jiggle. Now get that butt over here immediately!  I snort a laugh and turn back towards my Alpha.


LINDSAY


I smart with embarrassment as I catch the dismissive look that Justin gives me as Brian rejoins him. Well, he is a jumped up little nobody of no import. None of them are. I think I have spotted a judge who has been looking appreciatively at me, once I win this competition, I will be on my way, I smile on the inside as I see the dots on my paintings.


“Ah, Lindsay, there you are.” I don’t bother to smile or disguise my annoyance at the sanctimonious tone of Sidney’s wife. “I have been looking for you.”


“Oh? Why’s that? I don’t believe we have anything further to discuss after our last conversation.”


“That was the conversation you had at my husband, this is a conversation that I am going to have with you. I won the coin toss. Withdraw and save yourself the humiliation of rejection. Naturally, this will be between us girls, but withdraw.”


“I am sure that I don’t know what you are talking about. I’m going now, as I have much more pleasant people to enjoy the company of.”


“It was three years ago, so that’s them out of the running on time frame. You are a, well almost, professional artist, and these are copies, with minor tweaking, but copies nonetheless, so that’s them out on original works.” She leans in closer. “And you are out because you are unpleasant, Miss Scullery Maid.” I turn to look at Justin and Brian and vow to deal with them later. “Oh, it wasn’t them. We were there. Jennifer made sure we were in a prime spot.”


I watch the bursary disappear from view in my mind’s eye and hate her even more for the supercilious look on her face. “I was in on the joke, for that’s all it was.”


“No, my dear, it’s all you are.” She tinkles a laugh. “Like I said...withdraw.”

 

As I head back to my car, I vow one thing because that was the final straw! I promise myself that with or without mother, I am going to leave this town and never come back!

Chapter End Notes:

Pkease review kindly and constructively. Thanks.