- Text Size +

CHAPTER 26 - ERINYES AND THE WHITE KNIGHT WITH BLUE EYES...GO TO WAR


CABIN - THREE HOURS LATER


JUSTIN


I look across at a still sleeping Brian and then at the night sky. I have never seen it so beautiful or foreboding. “I wish I had my camera.” I sigh to myself, I smile when I feel his warmth against my back and his arm come around my waist. “Thank you.” I kiss his bicep as he hands me his.



“That is one fuck of a storm. I am slightly nervous about being in a forest in a wooden structure.” He murmurs into my neck before kissing a spot just behind my ear.


“I like storms, they let me know that even the sky screams sometimes.” He chuckles and pulls me back against him tighter. “Let’s go back to bed. I’m sure whatever storm is brewing, it will pass.”


EMMETT’S HOUSE - SAME TIME


MASTER BEDROOM


EMMETT


“You are very quiet. Is it a bad thing that I told you?”


Brandon shakes his head. “Have you ever? I mean with him again?”


“No. After that night, purely instructions only. After we finished, he was all set to get up and go, I said if he left me like that, I would follow him naked down the street yelling about his newly deflowered state. And do you know what he said?”


“Do that and I will have you murdered?”


“Nope! I don’t want you to catch a cold.”


“That was...sweet.” He frowns even as the words leave his lips. “For him it was…”


“Now, Brandon! Do not judge people by other people’s covers. How many of the men you fucked know you’re a doctor? How many of them know that you bawl your eyes out at the 1975 original of The Railway Children when she sees her dad on the platform after he is released...without fail? How many people know that you call me to say you are home after your night shifts so that I can rest easy? How many people know that when you are cruising, you always have an eye on me? Yes, I have noticed. And how many people know that…”


“You've made your point.” He grumbles.


“Don't tell me what I have or have not done! I shall finish with this, how many people know that you want exactly what Brian is trying to have right now, but with me?”


“None and one.” He admits looking rueful.


“He portrayed an image just the same as you do...well did! So don’t be a hypocrite or mean.”


“Sorry.” He leans across and kisses my shoulder. “So can I ask?”


“He screamed the place down!” I laugh. “We both did!”


“Did he…”


“No. This was all about him.”


“Weren’t you tempted?”


“Honestly? No. I’m a size queen like the next queer, but there’s only so much this boy can take. He has at least two inches in length and an inch in girth more than me.” His eyes bug out and he lifts the blanket before he could stop himself. “I named him you know…”


“You named his dick?!” He gasps.


“No you dolt! I gave him the name The Stud of Liberty Avenue.”


“You know what, knowing what I know now, I’m not surprised. There is a lot of sass and sweetness about you, but a fuck of a lot of steel.”


“Speaking of steel. “ I smirk at him and rub his thigh.


“Oh no, you don’t.” He stops me firmly with a heated look. “My turn. Now lie down and shut up.”


“Oh, yes sir.” I sigh as I slide down the sheets.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - FRIDAY MORNING


KITCHEN


LINDSAY


I shake my head as Michael comes down in his dressing gown. I sip my coffee and wonder how exactly he is paying for all of this. The house is beginning to have a sticky feel to it, where he’s not cleaned properly, if at all. He’s made an effort and stacked the dishwasher but there is no point doing that if you don’t switch the damn thing on.


“We’ve run out of cups.” I tell him as he hunts in the cupboards, and then I grimace as he pulls out one from the sink, swishes it briefly under the tap and then uses it. “Michael, don’t you think you should clean this place up?”


“It’s not that bad.” He mutters as his bare feet squelch against the wooden floors. “If you don’t like it you can always…” He pauses as I smirk at him over my mug.


“Well, I’ll be going to work. Are you going to open the store up today?” I wash my mug up but don’t put it in the cupboard. Just like I didn't do with my plate and cutlery.


“No, I am still too sore.” He laments, and I resist the temptation to say still too lazy.


“Alright. Well, try and get some rest. I shall see you tonight.”


“Sure. Uh, where are you going with those?” He points to the stuff in my hands.


“My room of course. You might be happy to eat off those…” I point to the dishes. “...but I am not. I have standards. Oh, and speaking of standards, are you still serious about the country club dinner?” He nods. “I see, well then, you and I are going to have to go shopping, if you dress as you live is anything to go by. We’ll chat tonight about that.”


“Fine.” He grumbles, but does look around the kitchen with a frown. “See you later.”


As I head upstairs, I could’ve sworn I heard him say he’ll ask his mother to come around and give the place a once over!


COOPER & WILD - EARLY AFTERNOON


MEL’S OFFICE


DELIA


“Well hello there, Missie!” I smile at Mel as she comes in. “Judging by that smile and you being a tiny bit late, something good has happened, care to share?”


“Yes. But this will involve the gossip tray.” She grins wider as she heads into her office.


Now, there are advantages to knowing one Emmett Honeycutt and one is that he knows Jennifer Taylor, who makes the best cookies in the world! I pull out the jar, after making sure she’s not peeking. “How many?!”


“Three. No two!” She calls back, and once I set up our gossip tray, I head into her office. As per usual she just shakes her head and grins at it. “Are you ever going to tell me where you got that from?” She asks, having cleared her table and is curled up on the sofa.


Oh this is good gossip...the shoes are off!


“No, of course not. I don’t want you to share this beauteous thing with anyone but me!”


“Okay, let’s go with beauteous. And how is that two?!” She chides me.



“You’ve got Riceloff and I’ve got the Pearson notes.” I raise an eyebrow as I kick off my shoes.


“Good point. I will have a finger.”


I smirk at her innuendo and hand her the cup with said finger, before I settle down and wait.


“So...oh that’s good.” She sighs as she sips her tea. “I bumped into Cassidy, she works with Lindsay, on my way back from court and she has caused a big stink in her former neighbourhood. After the boiler met lounge, she didn’t close the pipes off, just left…”


“Oh for heaven sake! That’s an environmental hazard!”


She nods as she nibbles and I just shake my head. “Exactly, so claims been rejected and she’s stuck with all the bills, which will be astronomical. But that’s not the best bit. Because the water stopped coming through she assumed that was that, so as well as just leaving and not sorting out the pipes, she also didn’t even think to turn off the water at the mains. So it had been pumping out intermittently and caused water damage to one of her neighbours…” She pauses for effect. “...but the cottage, unlike hers, is listed.”


“Holy fuck that is going to hurt!”


“Yeah, and she will be a bad credit risk as well!” She cackles. “No insurance firm will touch her without a hefty indemnity clause and massive premiums.”


“Well…”


“And that’s not all. The abode in which she is residing is starting to resemble an upscale hovel every day…”


“This is the one she’s living with her friend?”


“Yep. Seems that her friend hasn’t quite grasped the concept of cleaning, and is playing a waiting game.”


“As in waiting for her to cave and do it for them?”


She nods and her face clouds. “If there is one thing that I admired about Lindsay, until it was turned on me, is her ability to stand her ground and go for what she wants. Even if what she wants doesn’t want her.” I reach over and pat her hand, getting a small smile. “The guy she lives with is such a, well, was such a momma’s boy - she’s no longer a fan - apparently he is going to suggest she come over and clean his house. Just so he doesn’t have to do it or pay for it.” I tamp down my annoyance. I am well aware of her roommate! “Should be an interesting conversation.”


We both go quiet, lost in our own thoughts, and I decide to pull her out of her walk down Misery Lane. “Oh, a lady called Diana called. Said to say thank you and she’s looking forward to dinner next week. Said you’d know all about that.” She goes red. “Why don’t I know all about that?” I push my glasses back up my nose and primly fold my arms.


“I sent her flowers.” She says shyly.


Oh shit must call Emmett!


“You did!” I squeal. “Oh, hang on...not another word! Need the ladies, I don’t know why I have tea!” I sprint out of the room to her gales of laughter and when I reach the safety of the bathroom, I pull out my phone. “Ems it’s Delia, have to be quick! Abort the flowers, repeat abort the flowers! She’s doing fine on her own! Will catch you up later. Bye!”


I almost slide to the floor in relief that he hadn’t sent them and then realise I do have to use the bathroom...damn tea...and once done head back.


“So speaking of dinner...when are we shopping? Now, now don’t grimace, you have to buy a new dress. So when?”


“I suppose…”


“Before you even suggest Saturday, let me explain to you. Crowds, screaming children and in the evening the traffic is going to be a bitch!”


“Why the evening?” She looks puzzled.


“I am not going shopping with you without cocktails at the end of it! So pick an evening, can’t do this Friday.” Well I can but Emmett and Treyvon can’t. “Anytime bar Thursday works for me.” She flicks through her phone nodding. “So when?”


“Tuesday or Wednesday?”


“Tuesday.” I sigh in relief; Emmett had hoped for Tuesday because at least that way it gives us time to swap out whatever monstrosity she wants to buy and she will not be any the wiser because I have a plan for that. “So, have it delivered here, it will be pressed and ready and you can get dressed here, it’s closer to the club isn’t it?”


“Yeah, it is. That’s a great idea.”


“I know, this is why I have several pairs of fabulous shoes and you only have one...which you didn't even buy! So list...start typing, we need dress, shoes, bag, foxy faux fur coat and obviously a killer lipstick and some glitter…”


“I have a lipstick and why glitter?”


“The only nude when you are with her should be you not your lipstick and everyone needs to sparkle!” I look at my watch and pull a face. “Back to the coalface.”


“Yes, but not without another cookie!” She grins as she snatches up the last one.


“It’s fine. The junk in my trunk doesn’t need anymore padding!” I take the tray and with a wiggle worthy of Peg from Lady and the Tramp leave her office.


“You have got to teach me how to walk like that one day!” She laughs.


“Honey! Anyone can walk this way, they just need to want to!”


BLUE MOON HOUSE - EVENING


LOUNGE


BRIAN


This was not how I envisaged meeting his mother! She had called him and said that we needed to meet and talk, and judging by his obedience it was not up for discussion. He said that she wouldn’t tell him over the phone what it was, just that it involved me. Now she is looking concernedly at me.


“Say something. No wait.” She hands me a glass of whisky...almost full to the brim. “Drink, then speak.” She orders, and there is something in her tone, which reminds me of a certain someone, which makes me do as I am told.


I look down at the paper again and watch Justin prowl like an angry cat. I can even see the hairs standing up on the back of his neck. “He’s insane.” Is all I can come up with.


“No, he’s perfectly sane. Just used to getting his own way, and you being at his beck and call. Well, you and your wallet from what Debs has been telling me.” She smiles sympathetically.


“Debs? You’ve met Debs? When?” I frown.


“Oh of course you wouldn’t know. At the hospital. Sorry, I was so hellbent on whisking you away I forgot to tell you.” Justin resumes his prowling after his explanation, before sitting down next to me and snatching the papers out of my hands. “So now what?”


“I…” I begin and then shrug helplessly. “...have no idea.”


“Well, I have taken a liberty of fixing that sign for him.” Jennifer chuckles.


“What sign? Where does it say sign?” I look over the list and then spot it. “He wants me to pay for the sign over the shop! Is he fucking...sorry Jennifer.”


“Oh, don’t be. Sometimes profanity is the only outlet. But I don’t think you are going to mind paying for this one. For this is what I have done.” She reaches for her iPad and then scrolls through chuckling. “Ah yes,, here it is…”



“Mom! That’s cocktastically indecent! Where are we going to stick it?” His eyes gleam maliciously.


“Well I have been speaking around the Avenue and he’s not opened for a while, something about being grievously injured when Debs through a boulder into his testicles....”


“Boulder? Debs?” I blink at her.


“I think he meant pebble but got confused.” She sniffs. “Anyway, he’s not been able to open, but this needs to go up without his knowledge. The signmaker was remarkably accommodating, seems he got some of his charm. So the boulder thrower is making nice and will let the sign people in and…”


“Does she know this?” Justin asks just staring at the picture.


“I am waiting for confirmation of the delivery but I am pretty sure I can persuade her to do this. He and Lindsay came around four times and the first time Carl had to hold her back from beating him back down the path. As well as the invoice and birthday wish list there is this. For all documents, I and one other person are the only people to have seen them. He is a trusted friend and confidant. I have always turned to him in moments of turmoil. I hope you will forgive me after you have read it and I tell you who it is.”


I nod and take the paper from her and read it and am perfectly fine until I get to the end and gasp. “Guy who the fuck is...does he mean Gus? He wants to be the legal guardian to Gus?!”


“No fucking way! Absolfuckinglutelyfuckingnot!” Justin bellows snatching the paper off of me.


“Calm yourself, Justin.” She orders, and he instantly calms down. “Yes, this is what he is suggesting. The person that also knows is Emmett.”


“Emmett? How do you know Emmett?”


“Yes, I met him at the party, but I met him before, the same way you met him. We are of the same world.”


“Emmett?!” Justin gasps. “He’s a…”


“Yes. He is. A very good one, he could teach you a thing or two. But how Brian and Emmett know each other is a discussion for the two of you alone. This needs to be dealt with first.”


“I will get my lawyers onto…”


“No you won’t.” Justin states firmly.


“Justin this is Little Grub we are talking about, I am not…” I protest.


“You will do nothing. I will handle this.”” His voice is cold and flat but the look in his eyes is warm and tender.  “I can only take so much, now I have finally had enough! He’s going to learn that if my thunder doesn’t get him then my lightning will.” He smiles and strokes my cheek, which I find reassuring. “I will leave him alive but cognisant of the fact that if it was meant to be he wouldn’t have to force it. And also that you are mine.”


“I am.” I whisper.


“And I am yours.” He murmurs back.


“Ahem.” Jennifer clears her throat and we slowly move apart.


“Now to the business in hand. Do you know anything else he’s been talking about?”


“Oh yes. Well, not him per se, but his roommate, seems that she’s not happy with the living arrangements from a cleanliness standpoint.”


“Really?” He turns to me. “Do your tenants have to clean their own houses?”


“Of course they do!” I exclaim confused.


“But he doesn’t know that, does he?” I shake my head. “So perhaps it could be said loud enough that all the houses on the Boulevard are to be given a cleaning service…”


“But…”


“Wait for it.” Jennifer laughs.


“Only he gets it. Only he starts to get what he deserves.”

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind and constructive. Thanks