- Text Size +

CHAPTER 51 - DISCOVERING THINGS AND REFLECTIONS OF YOU


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - SUNDAY MORNING


LOUNGE


MICHAEL


I have been wracking, my brains trying to think of anyone that Brian would know who has an estate, and I can’t think of a single person who is richer than him...unless he has another place other than Britin! I can easily see this being the case after the way he has changed so dramatically! I look across the road, the guy who I know that I have seen before is walking down the street, so I am going to satisfy my curiosity once and for all! I run to the hallway and snatch my keys off the low table and rush outside.


“Hey, Buddy! Excuse me!” I shout; he turns around and points to himself, I nod and catch him up. “Sorry to stop you, but don’t I know you from somewhere?”


“Yes, what can do I for you?”


“I just wanted to know where I know you from. It’s been bugging me for weeks.”


“I provide the nightwatchmen for Greenfield Boulevard. Maybe that’s where you’ve seen me, walking around there. Or maybe on Liberty Avenue, my…”


”Michael.” I introduce myself with a smile. “Michael Novotny.”


“No. My name is Jools…”


“No, I mean my name is Michael.” I laugh, but he starts to walk off. “So are you around here for business or pleasure.”


“Neither. Well, have a nice day, sir.” He tells me.


“You don’t need to call me sir. Michael is fine.”


“I believe in politeness and respect for the older generation, so will stick to calling you sir.” He replies before striding off down the street, leaving me shell shocked that he thinks I am in need of being treated with that level of respect at this stage in my young life!


LINDSAY’S COTTAGE - SAME TIME


LINDSAY


Sighing, I get off my knees and go to open the door. I am surprised to find Mother pushing her way past me. I manage to grab her arm to halt her progress. “What are you doing here?!”


“Moving back in of course!” She tries to pull her arm out of my grip, but I am so surprised by what she said that I let go and she ends up sprawled on the floor on her back. “What is wrong with you?!” She exclaims, sitting up, rubbing her elbow and glaring.


“You just said you were moving back in! Said, not asked I notice!”


“It is your fault that I am homeless, and this is the next best thing and cheaper than a hotel.”


“Nancy, why are you on the floor?” A distinguished gentleman is hovering outside my door looking amused. She scrambles up quickly and ushers him in. “And who is this?”


“That is my bisexual daughter Lindsay. Lindsay, this is my very good friend Edward.”


“Only two of those words are accurate, and even one of them is when she remembers. Let’s stick with Lindsay. Nice to meet you, Edward.”


“Likewise. Is this as beautiful on the inside as it is on the out?”


“Yes, and that goes for me too. Mother, why don’t you take your cases up to your room, and I will get Edward some refreshments?”


“But there are four cases Lindsay!” She tries, and just about succeeds in keeping the hiss out of her voice.


“Which you managed to take out singlehandedly when you left,” I smile. “This way, Edward.”


“I won’t be long, Edward!” She grits out and starts the first of her many journeys upstairs.


“Take your time. I shall get to know your lovely daughter.” He calls back.


She couldn't hold in that hiss!


BLOOM RESIDENCE - HALF AN HOUR LATER


KITCHEN


SIDNEY


I do love my Sundays. It is the one day my darling wife, Bella, insists that there is no art or gallery talk. She says it helps me to relax, and she’s right. Or she would be right, if I hadn't agreed to judge the CG Photography and Arts Exhibition and present the scholarship prize.


“So, you have ten minutes, you rapscallion!” She chides me, and hands me a glass of Bellini, so she’s not that mad then?!


“It is open for students of CG, people who haven’t had their work published and those who have no connection to the art world.”


“When is it and where?”


“In two months’ time, and at the Andy Warhol Museum. It is also black tie.”


“Okay, sold!” She kisses me sweetly. “Now, how many tickets can I have?”


“Who are you thinking of inviting?” I smile as she counts off on her fingers and mouths the names. “So, Annabella, Diana, Mel…” She glares at me through her lashes and then starts again, but seems to get stuck on the fourth and fifth persons and frowns. “Elizabeth and…” I prompt.


“Marshall. Knew I would get there eventually!” She takes my glass off me and drains it. “Ten minutes are up now.”


“Yes, dear.” I simper and she rolls her eyes. “So, I can have a top up now, can I?”


“Yes, and for your sass, you are also washing my back in the bath.” She declares.


“Such a terrible taskmistress!” I sigh melodramatically, and she giggles all the way up the stairs.


MICHAEL’S HOUSE - FORTY MINUTES LATER


BATHROOM


MICHAEL


I have been peering at my face in natural light as my former best friend once advised, and I gasp as I seem to have grey hair which can’t be right! I pull it, it must be fluff, but no, there it is, attached to my fucking head. A fucking grey hair! And on closer inspection, it is not just a grey hair, there seems to be loads of them! I set about checking my face...crow’s feet, when the hell did I get crow’s feet?! And my skin is looking blotchy, also I do believe I have spots! This is all due to the stress they have put me under!


I stalk to my bedroom and pull out the care package he bought for me, while we were in France. I have never used it, because quite frankly I never saw the need, but he swears by them, so I might as well give them a go.


I open the box and go still, for there inside, is a locket, a silver antique looking locket. I stare at it for a few minutes before it hits me what it is! I meant to put in it the secret drawer in the box in my garage! I put it carefully on the side, as I don’t want to lose it, I make a note to speak to her about getting that box back. I don’t want anybody to find what is in there!


As I head back to the bathroom, I remember something, the muscleman that Ben is dating, he has an estate, and I bet it is him he is with! I smirk to myself as I make a note to drop that little bit of news like a bomb in Ben love life...it’s a shame about Ben, but as in all wars there is collateral damage!


PALACE DINING ROOM - JUST BEFORE BRUNCH


EMS


I smirk as Ted comes downstairs looking refreshed! “Remembered to shut the window, did we?”


He flicks me the bird as he pours some orange juice. “Wilson said nobody could hear us!” He grumbles.


“We didn’t hear you as such, we just heard Blake say shut the fucking window or there will be no fucking-fucking.”


“You are lucky you are my best friend or I would not be speaking to you!” He gripes with a smile. “So has your Little Sprite gone jogging too?”


“Yes.” I scrunch up my nose. “He’s doing very well, you know? Considering he’s never subbed before.”


“So you toasty no returned him did you?”


“Yes! Oh, Teddy, you should’ve seen him! I don’t think he’s ever cum that hard, without cock touching, it was just…”


“How do you know?” He interrupts frowning. “I mean, you must have known that he was your one, like Brian and Justin know that they are their ones. So how?”


“From a Dom point of view, you mean?” He nods. “I dunno, I guess Toddy sums it up perfectly; you just do. From the moment you touch them, you just know. How did you know about Blake?” He doesn’t say anything. “Teddy, what’s wrong?”


“I lied.” He replies quietly. “He wasn’t a pat…”


“Patient. He was your counsellor. Yeah we figured that one out.” I laugh as he just stares at me. “Oh, come on, he had the pain of knowing in his eyes, and besides, Big Bad had him checked out.”


“Brian had…”


“Remember, the only people that are going to kill you is us!” I grin. “Now come on, let us prepare a warm welcome for our jizzing joggers!”


“Ems!” He splutters.


PALACE GARDENS - TWENTY MINUTES LATER


BRIAN


“Justin!” I gasp as he swirls his tongue around my head again. “Mmmm!”


“Are you close?” He purrs from deep within my crotch.


I shake my head as my legs tremble, but I lock my knees to keep myself upright. I am dripping with sweat, but determined. “Keep going! It will be my turn next and…”


“Brian.” Something in his voice makes me look down and he is staring intently at my cock and I suspect he's just spotted it. “How didn’t I see this before?” He runs his finger gently over the scar, and that is followed by his tongue and a soft kiss. It’s the very gentleness of the action and simple acceptance, which tips me right over the edge!


“Jesus fuck!” I bellow and slither to the ground, twitching and trembling. He just holds me.


“Can you sit back, please?” He smiles as I slump against the tree and suck in air. “Want some water?” I nod and allow him to hold the bottle while I drink.


“Cyn knows. She had to make the appointments. It was while I was at Vanguard. Didn't handle it well. So that makes three including me.”


“Not even…”


“Definitely not. That was one of the reasons that I changed to Emmett. He’s strong enough to let me go.” He smiles and then nods in understanding. “But I have been clear for years. It comes up for renewal in six months, shall we talk then?”


“Yes, please.” He drinks some more water. “I have to get my affairs in order myself, so maybe I can do that then too?”


“Yep. Shall we go back? Do you think you can get hold of tweezers and aloe vera?”


“You have splinters?” He frowns and helps me up.


“Nope.” I grimace and look down. “Thought so, next time we decide to do that, can we check the base of the tree?” He looks down and then at my ass. “Yep, stinging nettles! Move it, my ass is on fire and not in a good way!” He just about manages to hold in his giggle!


LOUNGE - AN HOUR LATER


BENSON


“Fair play, Guvnor, I would be beyond pissed and stayed in my room!” I laugh as I look at Brian stretched out on one of the sofas on his stomach. Well, when I say stretched, he is draped over Justin’s lap, trying to sip his drink.


“Perhaps a straw, Brian?” Wilson suggests, coming in with one before checking his watch. “In another hour, Justin.”


“Never have I enjoyed a bed bath so much.” Brian drawls as he takes the straw with a nod of thanks.


“Big Bad, you’ve got one of those except it is smaller! I am sure you have!” Ems suddenly exclaims pointing in the corner.


“One of what, and why do you call him Big Bad?” Wilson asks, and heads to where he was pointing. “Oh this? Yes, a rather fetching storage box. Not sure if your folks have even remembered it is here. Oh, the row that it caused!” He laughs bitterly.


“Row? What row?” Ben questions, and pulls the table to one side so that the storage box could be put down.


“Hold up, it’s the same as that box Justin found in the asshoe’s garage.”


“You mean asshole?” Blake suggests.


“No. I don’t mean that, do I Wilson?” He purses his lip and sniffs. “It’s what he calls Michael.”


“Big Bad first, and then Wilson can explain.” Ems asserts. “As everyone knows, I did him a favour, a delicious favour…” Wilson’s eyes widen and his eyebrows almost hit the back of his skull. “Also named him the Stud, but there was a time before that when he wasn’t very nice at all. He was so reckless, I mean with people's feelings. It wasn't very long, but long enough to fuck me off enough to starting telling people about the Big Bad Wolf. And warning off a couple of Goldlicks he had his eye on!”


“You…” Wilson gapes.


“Cockblocked him. Yes, I most certainly did!”


“Like I said, he is strong enough to let me go, and rofuckingmantic enough to pull me up on my shit.”


“When was this?” Justin asks.


“When I was working at Vanguard.” He wriggles a little as Justin strokes his ass, but it’s the tenderness that gets my attention, there is no heat in his touch. “Yep, then.” He says over his shoulder and Justin nods.


“Then? What then?” Wilson, ever observant, noticed the action too.


“I had cancer in my testes, didn‘t react well and acted like I was going to die, so thought fuck everything and everyone. Cyn made me keep going to the doctors and Ted gave me something to focus on.”


“That’s when you…” Ems trails off and then nods. “...so why asshoe? Although I think I can guess.”


“It's not that difficult. He’s an ass and a hoe for Brian’s dick, heart and money.”


“And a very accurate description!” Ems laughs. “Now the row.”


“Oh that. Went to an auction in France, and there was two of these. My old man told her to get both of them, but she almost got into a physical in the auction room after she got into a slanging match with some idiot, who wanted the box for his fiancé, got in her face. Now you think my temper is bad, you should see my old lady. She got some Gaelic in her and got to stepping. He had the fucking nerve to demand that her credit reference was checked!”


Slowly Brian starts to sit up, wincing a little. “Was this about a year or so ago?”


“Yeah, oh she was so fucked off! She had to step out to calm down so he got the other box, but it‘s not as good as this…”


“A queen took on a princess and…” Ems begins and we all get it in seconds.


“I am going to annihilate that fucker!” Wilson explodes. “Her highness was so upset about the way he talked to her, rather than what he said!”


“Look, just forget about the row, we have it now. Why did he want it so bad anyway?” Brian gets up slowly and gingerly sits down. We all hold our breath and wait, he heaves a sigh of relief, but it is not as big as Justin’s!


“It’s French antique and has a keepsake compartment.” Wilson explains as he opens the box.


“What compartment?” Justin looks at Brian. “Do you remember seeing one?”


“No, but the bottom was covered with the bag.” He shifts a bit more, then leers at Justin. “All comfortable on the ass front, you can have at me later.” He blows him a kiss of happiness.


“When you get back home, you need to do this.” Wilson opens the box and then presses either side above the front legs at the base lift up and a drawer rises. “From memory, this cost…”


His eyes widen again and then mine do! I have just remembered how much she paid for it and how much it insured for. “Where is this?”


“At home. We’re going to use it for our funky junk.” Justin laughs.


“Then I suggest you get it insured for at least $15,000 first. This one cost $37 grand, less commission.”


“And we also need to get it cleaned.” Justin whispers in awe.


“Brian, I think we need to go through what was in his garage and get it properly appraised. Mel told me that she let him know about Debs cherry picking. She hasn’t got the room to keep the stuff, and he could, metaphorically, bludgeon her into giving it to him, and to get rid of him once and for all, Carl would go along with it.” Ted advises. “Please don’t take this the wrong way, but at the time you most likely said yes, to what he wanted, just to shut him up.”


“Yeah and yeah.” Brian sighs and we all hate the look of sadness in Brian’s eyes, as the full extent of Michael’s greed hits him.


“If I may, your highness…” Wilson begins.


“Boys, let Wilson get his guy to have a look. He’s the curator for all the family jewels.”


“Okay, sure. Now can you bear with me a second, I just need to…” Brian begins and walks out, closing the door behind him.


“Ems, Ted.” Justin looks at them with a small smile. “Can you check on him?”


“Sure sweetie.” Ems is out in a flash and Ted follows after he takes Brian's glass off of Justin.


“Why didn’t you go?” I frown.


“I don’t know, it just felt the right thing to do.” He looks around. “I think that they need to…”


“Talk.” Blake finishes. “Yes, they do.”


LOWER LOUNGE


EMS


Pacing, pacing is not good! “Ted, for fuck sake just sit down and spit it out!”


“They’ve got it all?” His voice is low and filled with guilt.


“Yes. All gone and all clear.” Brian gives him bright smile.


“You were going…”


“All gone and all clear.” He repeats firmly. “Now stop with the guilt. We were both behaving like assholes for different reasons. Those reasons are in the past, now let’s get back to the one thing that the asshoe will never have.”


“Our men?” Ted hedges snickering.


“Any man!” I correct him. “Now, Teddy, go cuddle, I just need two minutes with him.” He nods then leans across and kisses Brian’s forehead before closing the door quietly.


“You pissed?” He asks draining his glass.


“A little. I couldn’t understand the switch…”


“Like I said, he gave me focus…”


Start of flashback

OUTSIDE TED’S APARTMENT - 4 YEARS AGO


BRIAN


I knock again. “Come on, Schmidt, time's a-wastin! I am not missing out on fucking because you are trying to camouflage the scaffolding that holds up your wizened countenance.”


“Brian! Come on, just leave it! He doesn't want to come out then that’s his choice!” Michael shouts from the lift.


“True! Hear that, Schmidt? We’re leaving!” I press my ear against the door and think I hear something.


“Brian! I said come on! We don’t need him!” Michael orders, and with a shrug I trot down the hallway to join him. “Why couldn’t Emmett bring him, he’s his friend after all?!”


“He is still getting ready.” I reply, checking my reflection in the mirror, before adjusting a hair. “Perfection takes time.”


“He's not perfect! He never will be!”


“Stop being a bitch, Michael.” I raise an eyebrow and sigh as he starts to pout, as he always does whenever I defend Emmett. Speaking of Emmett causes me to smile and then check my pocket. “Fuck! I dropped it! Bet it’s outside Schmidt’s door!”


“Dropped what?” He sulks.


“My safety goggles!” I glare at him and I am pleased when the lift stops. “I will meet you in Woody’s.” He just shrugs and I decide to take the stairs as it would be quicker. “Sometimes, Michael, you can be the most consummate asshole!” I mutter to myself, but then smile when I spot the pack outside his door. Bending down to pick it up, I am surprised to see the door is slightly open.


“Schmidt, you idiot!” I mutter, and pull out my phone. “Emmett, how close to disco fantastic are you? Can you come to Ted’s first, he’s gone out and not locked his…” I pause and realise that this is anally retentive Ted we are talking about. “...where are you and do you have his keys? Five minutes away and you do, good.”


In less than five, he is striding down the stairs with a very concerned look on his face and his phone glued to his ear. “Not picking up.” He tells me and pushes the door slowly open and we both just stare.


“What the actual fuck?” I gasp as we take in the room.



“Where’s Teddy? We have to find him!”


“Calm down, Honeycutt. Let’s check the bedroom, maybe he’s in there…” Then there’s the noise I heard earlier. “Schmidt!” I yell and stride to the bedroom and push the door open then almost scream in horror! “Holy shit!” I dash to the bed, where Ted is lying with his arm tied and a needle sticking out.


“Teddy!” Emmett screams from the doorway.


“Honeycutt! Call Anita!”


“You mean an ambulance!” He gibbers and starts to dial.


“NO, ANITA! She knows people!” I yank the tourniquet off and slowly pull out the needle, putting my finger over the point of entry. I concentrate on Ted and he’s still breathing but sounds funny. I turn him on his side and can hear Emmett blubbering. “Give me that! Keep him breathing! Honeycutt! Here!” He leaps to my side and I take his phone. “Ani, it’s Brian! Ted took something, he’s crashed, please can you send someone?! Not sure, but I think...oh fuck, it looks like cocaine.”


“Teddy, you stupid, stupid man!” Emmett wails.


“Okay, okay, hurry please, Ani, please hurry! What? Okay! Who? So I know...got it!” I throw his phone down. “Get him up, we need him to come around and be sick!”


We drag him to the bathroom and get him in the tub then turn the shower on to the coldest setting. It takes about a minute for him to come back, and, thankfully, he immediately vomits.


“That’s it, you dumbfuck, keep being sick! Bring that poison back up!” I yell at him, yanking off my shoes so I can get in and hold him up.


An hour later, it is just the two of us. Ted has been taken by one of Ani’s friends to get the clean up he needs, and we look around the room.


“When the fuck did he get into this shit? And why didn’t we notice?!” Emmett snivels.


“I was being an asshole.” I sigh, and once again my phone blares into life and it is a drunk Michael. “Go home and sober up. Yes, I’m about to fuck and get sucked!” I cut him off before he can say anything else.


“Trouble in best friend paradise?” Emmett starts to clean up.


“Yeah a bit, but let’s clean up your best friend first, okay?”


TED’S APARTMENT - LATE AFTERNOON, TWO DAYS LATER


Michael is not talking to anyone, and Debs is pissed, but we have more important things to worry about. We knock and then enter just as Ted is coming out of the bedroom, and although he looks like shit, he looks a fuckload better than he did.


“Want to tell us why and when?” Emmett asks gently...too gently!


“Same old pathetic story like most people…”


“Addicts, the word you are looking for is addicts.” I interrupt, and although Emmett stiffens at my brusque tone he doesn’t correct what I said.


“You are a fine one to talk! You do drugs every fucking night, sometimes during the day!” Ted growls.


“Yes, but I am addicted to Ani’s shit, that’s why she’s my trusted supplier! And I tried cocaine once, she warned me off but I didn’t listen. I didn't sleep for four days, thinking I wouldn't wake up!” They both look shocked. “So here is what is going to happen, Schmidt. You are going to pack, you are going to pack for a month. We’re taking you to a place I know and you are going to get better whether you like it or not!”


“You know a place?” Emmett frowns.


“Yeah. Never been, but was recommended. Now help him pack!” I order, and pull out my phone. “Cases and shit are in the bedroom!”


“Why are you of all people helping me?” Ted wipes his eyes on his t-shirt.


“Who else am I going to pick on when I get fucking bored?” I retort, and with a nod he heads back into the bedroom.


“And I’m helping you because you are my best friend, and nobody kills my best friend but me!”


“Us!” I shout as he shuts the door.


“What he said!” Is Emmett’s somewhat muffled response, followed by a yelp of pain. “Get packing!”


I smile and wait for the call to connect. “Hey, Cyn, I have cancer of the testes, can you book me into John Hopkins for a course of treatment? Thanks, Cyn.”

End of flashback


We sit in silence for a while. “It was the one time she did it and meant it.”


“Who?” He asks pulling me up from the sofa.


“Cyn. She slapped me really hard and said not to give her cause to do that again.”


“And if you do, her slapping you is the least of your worries, okay, Big Bad?”


“Yeah. Why did you drop the Wolf?” I ask as we head back to join them.


“Because of the sweet lamb that you actually are.”


JFK AIRPORT - EARLY EVENING


DEPARTURE LOUNGE


DEBS


“You happy we didn’t?” Carl asks, taking my hand and kissing it.


“Yes. Very much so. I’m glad he reacted the way he did when we told him. I was, once again - don’t look so surprised - being selfish.” He gives a tentative nod. “When you told me what they suggested, all I thought was how he could not be allowed to ruin my day, without thinking how much being married without my true boys would ruin theirs. They would understand, but they would still be hurt.”


“Yes, especially Brian and Ems. Ted has always had Blake and his support, but those two have been lone wolves. Okay, they are not now, but they always had you.”


“Hmm, and now they have both of us. Are you okay with us not getting married now?”


“Absolutely. But there is one thing that I wanted to do with just the two of us.”


“What’s that?” I sip my champagne and smile, both in relief and happiness at the right decision I am still musing when I realise that people are staring and Carl seems to have dropped something. “You okay honey, have you…”


“Just say; yes honey they are perfect so I can get off my knees!” He chuckles, and opens the box.



“From left to right, your engagement, your wedding and my wedding.”


“Yes, I say yes!” I weep, and he puts the engagement ring on me and wearily gets up. Ten minutes later we have gotten responses from all my boys....except of course, him! And I can’t say I am surprised let alone disappointed.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively. Thanks.