- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Author's Chapter Notes:

In this chapter, it is the day of Gus and Jason's graduation from college, as Brian and Justin reflect on their feelings about their son and the man he's become.

"I swear to God, Jase, sometimes I feel like I'm still living with my sister. Will you get a move on. The guys will be here any minute," Gus shouted from the front door of his two bedroom apartment. 

Gus tapped his left foot, which was fashionably attired in the seven hundred dollar pair of black leather Bruno Magli shoes his dad had given him for one of his graduation gifts, and nervously straightened the tie he wore with his black pinstriped Armani suit that came from his other dad, DJ. When he still didn't see hide nor hair of his boyfriend coming down the hall, he began fiddling with the silver cuff links on his powder blue dress shirt that was a gift from his sister's side of the family. The cuff links were from Jason and probably the least expensive gift he'd received, but was the one that meant the most to him. There were two initials intertwined on the links, a G and J, and they said it all about the relationship the two young men had developed over the last four and half years. It was a relationship that meant everything to Gus. Just then he heard the familiar footsteps of his lover pounding down the long hallway to the apartment entryway.

Jason stopped short at the end of the hallway and stared at the tall slender man standing in the archway. The figure in black with the silk shirt had never been more beautiful. He had the face of a fierce Roman God, with his aquiline nose and deep set eyes but there was a gentleness in this man's face that one would never find on a statue. Jason still marveled at how lucky he was to have found such a beautiful man to love, who had as much beauty in his soul as he did in his body. What amazed him most was how this gorgeous creature, who could have any gay man he wanted with a crook of his little finger, could be so loving as to even forgive Jason for what he'd done last year. He wasn't so sure he could have been as understanding. 

He slowly walked up to Gus. "My God, Gee, do you have any idea how amazing you look?"

Gus beamed, leaned in and kissed his boyfriend soundly on the lips while letting the kiss linger as long as possible.

"Not one bit more than you, my handsome lover," he answered modestly.

Before the couple could admire each other any longer, they heard the door buzzer above their heads. It caused both men to jump just a tad and grin back at each other, feeling a little foolish at being startled so easily. Gus turned to the intercom next to him and pushed the button. 

"Hey kid, we're here. You gonna buzz us up or not?" came the much loved voice of Gus' dad, Brian Kinney.

Gus pushed the intercom button. "Come on up, Pop," he ordered.

The couple in the apartment could hear giggling as Gus pushed the entry button. Neither man was surprised when the door swung open and Brian entered with his husband Justin and two giggling young ladies behind them. Both girls were dressed in their Sunday best. Nothing was too good for their graduating big brothers. Jenny Rebecca, better known as JR, had grown into a real beauty. She was dark haired with features that had captured the best of her Italian dad, Michael Novotny, and her Jewish mom, Melanie Marcus. She had developed a perfect curvy body, not skinny like her mothers, that hinted at a full figure in later years like her Grandma Deb sported. She was still a lot shorter that her 6' 3" brother, but she had sprouted a few inches during her high school years and was quite the athlete. She had joined the gymnastics team at school to attract the attention of her first time crush and found she had a great aptitude for it. By her Sophomore year she was a lead on the cheerleading squad. The crush had died quickly but not her love for gymnastics. The result was a well toned body. 

JR's best friend, Bridget (or Gidge as most folks called her) had ended up following JR's lead and the two girls were among the most popular in school. Unlike some of the cheerleading gals, however, they were profoundly well liked for their bubbly personalities and refusal to judge anyone else and stick them into categories. The only other thing that they were more serious about than sports and boys involved the school paper and politics. The girls belonged to the school debate team, and even though Gidge was the more powerful speaker, the two were unstoppable as a team when arguing a point they truly believed in. They were only a week away from graduating from St. James Academy and would soon enter the same school their brothers were about to leave. Jason walked over to Gidge and gave his baby sister a big hug. Gus took the cue and did the same for JR. 

"You two are simply gorgeous," Jason gushed. 

"Yeah," Gus agreed. "You even look almost old enough to take out to this most important event," Gus joked, which earned him a sisterly swat from JR and a scowl from Gidge. 

"Just ignore him," Justin stepped in, being quite experienced by now in keeping things cool between the siblings. "He's just jealous that he didn't look half as grown up as you when he was just graduating high school, kiddo. But I must admit, all four of you have never looked more ready to face the world as the wonderful adults you've become. What would you say Brian, have we got an awesome foursome here or not?"

Brian, who had been leaning back against the foyer wall and watching the exchange with a bemused look on his face, nodded his head and walked the few steps to where his son stood. He put his hands on Gus' shoulders and looked him straight in the eye, since they were the exact same height. He leaned in and gave his son a proud peck on the cheek, then turned to JR and beckoned her over to him. As she got near, he put his arm around her slender shoulders and the other draped over Gus'. He gave her a quick peck on the cheek too and turned so that the three of them were facing the other three in the room. 

"I have never been more proud of anyone in my life than I am of all four of you. You are all smart, capable, and beautiful people. You make me proud to know you. The world had better keep an eye on all four of you, because you are going far in this world and Justin and I are going to sit back and enjoy watching every minute of it. Now, that said, we'd better get going. We promised to meet your folks at the auditorium and traffic could be heavy. Chances are the rest of the gang will already be there by now, knowing how tight assed...I mean punctual your Daddy Michael is, JR. 

JR looked up at her adopted dad with a brave attempt at a scowl that couldn't quite reach the twinkle in her eye. The youthful crush that she had nursed for years on her brother's dad was still alive and well and Brian could do no wrong in her eyes....well, except when he was being a bit overprotective with her choice in boyfriends since starting high school.

Justin took his cue from his husband and began shooing the young ones out the door. He smiled warmly at the boy he had named twenty two years earlier as he passed him by on his way out the door. He felt that strange tug in his heart that caught him off guard more and more often now. Maybe it was because he was about to turn forty or maybe just the fact that he had always been the sentimental half of their marriage, but Justin found himself often reliving the last twenty two years of his life that had begun the day he first met Brian Kinney. And now he was about to watch the baby he met on that fateful night as he completed his education and was about to step out into the world as a fully fledged responsible adult male. 

The years had been kind to Brian and his beloved Justin. Justin still looked like a young man in his twenties, barely older than their son, and Brian had seasoned to the most magnificent fifty something man anyone could dream of. His full head of hair was still a warm brown thanks to careful grooming that cost a pretty penny. His still taut slender frame and nearly completely unlined face was due to faithful exercising and good eating habits. He had forgone any desire to have a nip or tuck anywhere. His one bout under the knife when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer was all the surgery he cared to have as long as he could choose for himself. He had only begun coloring his hair when he realized that his anxiety over JR and her many beaus combined with keeping a watchful eye on his son had caused a few gray hairs to sprout around the sideburns. Justin's teasing had been the last straw and no gray hair had appeared since that first visit to his favorite salon.

Today, he and Justin would reap the rewards of their loving relationship with the tiny baby that Brian had thought he would have little to do with when he helped make the child in the first place. He had Justin to thank for that too because he knew that he would have been a much poorer father to Gus if it weren't for Justin. He could still remember all those nights that Justin would go out of his way to convince him that he would be a great dad...that he was nothing like Jack Kinney, the man who had fathered him. Justin had even tried to convince him that he shouldn't sign away his rights as a father. He hadn't believed Justin at first, but then again he hadn't believed he could love anyone with his whole heart at first until Justin proved him wrong. By the time he finally accepted the fact that he was deeply and forever in love with Justin, his heart was already filled with his son too. It had really hurt when Linds had chosen to take the boy away to Canada, but he had never lost touch and spent lots of time with Gus in both countries as the years went by.

Thinking about that last trip to Canada to attend the Anniversary party for Mel and Linds, and the heartbreaking outcome of the trip, brought a painful squeeze to Brian's heart as he watched the young folks climb into the limo he had rented for the evening. The brand new sporty convertible he had purchased recently would hardly work for all six of them. It was definitely made more for a couple. He had already turned over the keys to his two year old Mustang to JR as a graduation gift and it was finally time to get a less family friendly car for the future. Once he was seated in the limo, he instructed the driver to take a short detour. Gus overheard his dad's instructions and gave Brian a grateful smile. Shortly afterwards, the limo pulled up at the site where Mel and Linds were laid to rest. Gus and JR left the limo for about ten minutes while the others waited inside the vehicle. When the siblings re-entered the limo they had the traces of tears on their cheeks but they smiled broadly at everyone. They each reached forward and planted a kiss on Brian's cheeks. Justin would have sworn he saw Brian's face color up slightly, but chose not to mention it. The rest of the trip to the University auditorium where the graduation ceremonies would be held was spent in excited chatter as they looked forward to the event with growing anticipation.

******************************************************************

The graduation ceremony had gone off without a hitch. Brian, Justin, JR, Gidget, and the couple of dozen or more other members of the extended family on both sides watched with beaming pride as both Gus and Jason accepted their diplomas. Jason had quickly known that he was interested in architectural design and now possessed his degree and an offer from a prestigious architectural design firm downtown already under his belt thanks to a scout who admired his presentation during a state-wide design contest a few months earlier. Gus proudly held onto his art history diploma and was considering whether to go for a teacher's certificate like his mother had done years earlier. He loved drawing, but the thought of passing on his love of art in all its many forms sounded more appealing to him than anything else. He admired how DJ made such a good living with his personal artwork, but Gus didn't like the thought of dealing with all the clients that DJ had to deal with whenever he was accepting requests for commissioned pieces. He had decided somewhere in his Junior year that teaching would offer him the best of both worlds...he could inspire other budding young artists while creating his own pieces at his leisure for fun, if not profit. 

The after party had been a blast. Even Gram Debbie had kicked up her seventy plus year old heels as high as they would go. This graduation party had turned out to be a far bigger success than the one that Gus and Jason celebrated at their high school graduation. The memory of that night had faded long ago for the young men, if not for Brian and Justin, but tonight was the night to celebrate new beginnings and no dark shadows from the past were allowed to mar the perfect evening. At 3 a. m. the last of their guests had finally shuffled out the door of the club that Brian had rented for the occasion leaving Gus and Jason sprawled out in their chairs, feet stretched in front of them, exhaustion taking its toll. 

The couple were wiped out, but not as bad off as Brian, Justin, and the girls. They were all laid out on long couches that lined up against the far wall of the club. The girls were half asleep and the men, with Justin's head resting in Brian's lap, were already out for the count. It amused Gus when he thought of some of the stories that DJ used to tell of his dad's exploits in Babylon and other clubs. Three in the morning certainly wasn't a problem back then. He let out a tired laugh which brought a smile to Jason's face. He loved the sound of Gus' laugh. 

"What's so amusing, Gee?" he asked.

"I was just thinking. Do you think we'll be like them twenty years from now...so comfortable with each other and still in love?" Gus pointed over at the napping couple.

"Oh, I dearly hope so Gee. I know that I can't picture my life without you in it. Especially since I came so close to losing you. I expect to be a gray haired old man rocking on the porch with you beside me some day. I refuse to believe it will go any other way."

Gus reached out his hand to Jason who clasped it firmly in his own. Jason had grown more attractive as he matured. He was still built like a firmly packed wrestler, although he had given the sport up during his Junior year. Luckily he was not on a sports scholarship. He was still very active at the gym and maintained his superb physique, something Gus appreciated in the privacy of their apartment. Now they looked forward to getting home to that apartment so that they could have one last celebration...a private one for only two...before the night was over.

Gus flipped open his cell phone and rang up the limo driver who had been waiting nearby taking a nap of his own. Shortly after, the vehicle pulled away with its tired but satisfied occupants. The limo let out Gus and Jason first and then moved off into the waning night to deliver the rest of the passengers to the large Kinney/Taylor home. 

The ride home had apparently given the young couple a renewed burst of energy, because the door of their apartment had barely closed when they connected in a searing kiss. Their mouths lingered together for long minutes as their hands busily helped to loosen clothing, piece by expensive piece. Their longing to be together was stronger than their worry about the condition of their clothing as it began piling up beside them. The shoes had gone flying, followed by everything but their socks. They stumbled down the hall to their bedroom still in a tight clench and tumbled onto the bed, now stark naked except for said socks. 

The lovers began exploring their bodies as if it was virgin territory. However, by now they both knew exactly where they should touch gently or press firmly...where they should suck carefully or nibble vigorously...where they should hold back to cause maximum build up or let go with wild abandon to cause delirious relief. By the time both men had reached the point of no return and fallen headlong into that ecstasy that brought them so much joy, they had renewed their love for each other again with words and deeds. Gus had known no other lover and had no desire to. Jason knew that he would never find another who would make him feel the way that Gus did, and as he lay spooned inside the taller man's body he knew he would never want another again. In a week they would be heading off for an Hawaiin vacation and then returning to begin life as a working couple in the real adult world and they would be doing it together. It was a comforting thought.

To be continued........