- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In this chapter, JR is doing her best to forget all about Noah, which he is finding almost impossible to accomplish himself, leaving him confused and frustrated.  Meanwhile JR has the chance for a new relationship with dark and handsome South American, Alejandro.

Noah stood off to the side knowing that JR would not be able to see him in the crowd that filled the hallway. It was rather pathetic, he thought to himself, the way he kept looking for that certain pretty face in the crowd and always kept himself hidden. He didn't want to see the frown that he knew would change the smiling features of her face the minute she spotted him. JR simply couldn't look at Noah without letting her feelings show, and those feelings were obviously not kindly. It was hard for the young man to believe that she once smiled every time she saw him....hard to believe and terribly painful. He knew he had to accept it. He was infatuated with the young lady. It didn't really matter if he was. He also knew his family, or at least his parents, would never accept her as a proper date for their son. The mere fact that she defended and supported her own family was proof of that.

Noah had done his best to forget JR from the minute she stormed out of the little burger joint he had taken her to months ago. It hadn't worked. He thought about her during the day when he couldn't see her and even more when he did. He dreamed about her at night...dreams that often left him weak and longing...dreams he knew his father would condemn in a heartbeat. Thinking about his father again and the look on his face if he knew how his son's mind was working brought a fresh stab of pain to Noah's heart. Why, he asked himself again, did his brothers have to disappoint their father so badly? It left all the responsibility to be the good son on him. His dad had done his best by his three sons and Noah felt he owed it to the man to give him at least one son he could be proud of. But why did that mean he couldn't have the one thing he craved the most? Why the hell couldn't JR have come from a normal family like most girls? He simply couldn't find any answers to all his questions.

Noah wished more than anything that he could talk to his brothers. They were older than him and much wiser. He could always call them, but he hated talking on the phone. Noah liked face to face conversations. A person's face could often say so much more than their words. What he wanted to talk to them about needed a face to face. The problem was that neither man came to Pittsburgh much at all anymore. Jacob hadn't been back in four years. He was married to a beautiful woman from Rhode Island and had a sweet daughter and wonderful son but they were practically strangers now. He had at least visited Jacob and his family in Rhode Island a couple of times during the last four years but he hadn't had the guts to visit Matthew. He knew it would anger his father beyond belief. Rev. John had made it clear that Matthew was no longer a member of the family unless he turned away from his evil ways. Noah took a big enough risk sending an occasional letter to Matthew. He only got an answer back through the mail he received from Jacob. He knew that his father would have thrown out anything coming from Matty.

Noah waited until JR left the hallway and entered her classroom before he turned and moved off to his own class. He walked with a heavy step and his head down, not noticing any of the other students milling about. For the millionth time he asked himself why it felt so bad inside if he was doing the 'right' thing. He wished again that he had some really close friends like JR did that he could turn to for answers, or just to use as a sounding board, but there was no one. Noah didn't have time for frivolity. It was the devil's tool according to Dad. Church duties, work duties, and school, that was what made a good God-fearing man...another of Dad's lessons. Time enough for a wife, children, and adult life once you were out of school and well established in a decent profession. But what was he supposed to do with all these feelings he was holding deep in his gut? He needed to know. He needed answers.

**************************************************************

JR saw Noah lurking around the corner of the hallway. It wasn't the first time. She did her best to ignore his presence as she chatted away animatedly with several of her friends, but it wasn't that easy. JR had caught the sad look in Noah's face more than once. She did her best to harden her heart to it, but the truth was that it bothered her. DJ and DB had warned her that a boy like Noah was not worth wasting one's time on, but a part of her still longed to wipe the sadness off his face and plant the big goofy grin he had used on her in the beginning. When she had told the dads what she was thinking DB had given her a stern lecture on how you can't change who a person was raised to be. She had wanted to remind him that he had changed an awful lot because of his love for someone else, but hadn't wanted to see that look of disapproval that the man was expert in giving when someone confronted him about his past. She kept quiet and never really mentioned Noah much at home after that.

She had even gone to her big brother asking his advice. Gus, ever the practical soul, reminded her that there were a ton of men out there who would welcome a gal like her with a family background like hers. Easy enough for him to say. He had found Mr. Right just like that and they never fought or disagreed or anything. They had the perfect life so what the hell did he know about complicated relationships. In the end, however, she listened to all of them, including best friend Gidge, and opted for a life without the complications of being in love with someone with too many hangups. Her mind was set, but now all she needed was to get her heart to settle down to the facts of life too.

JR had dated off and on for the last few months, but never more than once or twice with any one guy. Gidge and her boyfriend Kevin had tried to fix her up with one good looking dude after another but nothing stuck. Even Gus had tried to set her up on a blind date with a student he was quite fond of, but the guy did nothing but talk about how great Professor Marcus/Peterson was. She didn't need a virtual stranger telling her she had a great brother. She already knew that. Maybe this coming weekend she'd have a good time. Gidge had suggested one more blind date with an extremely attractive exchange student from South America who had just been reassigned to her class. The young man came from a wealthy political family back home and was studying American politics. He had political ambitions of his own, just like JR. Gidge promised they'd be a perfect match. There was going to be a huge on-campus gathering at one of the campus houses that was part political fund raiser and part party. A part of JR was looking forward to her date with Alejandro. Any chance to get Noah's sad grey eyes off her mind was worth taking.

************************************************************

Brian and Justin were sitting in the living room watching an old, old Marlon Brando film when JR stepped into the room. She had to laugh when she saw DB mouthing the words to the dialog while DJ stretched out on the couch with his head laying in DB's lap. It wasn't the first time she had seen DB getting so caught up in a movie that he proved how well he knew it by copying the actors. Justin sat up when he heard JR clear her throat to get their attention. Brian quickly put the film on pause and the couple looked over at their girl. JR looked particularly nice in her bright yellow pullover and flowing ankle length black skirt, which had made another comeback in fashion. She wore canary yellow studs that made her blemish free skin glow. Her makeup was simple and she looked like a Spring day in Winter.

"Whoever your young man is, he'd better appreciate how lucky he is," Brian informed her, causing a pretty blush to appear on her cheeks.

"So when can we expect you home young lady. I know there are no classes tomorrow but remember that we have an early date for brunch at Gram Deb's house. She says she has some big news for us."

"I know fellas. Look, I don't even know this new guy, so for all I know I'll be back really early. Keep the home-fires burning and a light in the window....or something like that. I think that's what they used to say in the old days."

"Old days! Did you hear that Sunshine?"

Brian jumped up off the couch and began hobbling around the room as if supporting himself with a cane.

"Justin, get me my pipe and slippers and some hot tea. It's nearly 7:00 p.m. I need to get my rest," he mouthed as if toothless.

Justin jumped up and began to mimic Brian's movements.

"I'll do that right away, husband dear, but first let me get the liniment for our poor aching joints." He sounded even older than Brian, running his tongue out of his mouth and smacking his lips like an old man searching for his missing dentures.

"Veeeery funny, you two."

Just then the sound of Kevin's horn could be heard in the driveway. JR ran over to the still hobbling couple and planted a quick one on their cheeks.

"I'm going now. You two old fogeys can get back to doing what you do best." She saw the grin that passed between the two men. "I don't mean that. I mean vegging out on the couch and watching ancient movies."

The couple could hear her laughter as it trailed behind her as she rushed out to the car. Brian hobbled over to Justin who stood close to the couch. He leaned in and placed his pursed lips on Justin's. He pretended to smack his husband's mouth.

"Mmmmm, you still taste good even after all these centuries," he mumbled toothlessly.

"You too," Justin mumbled back.

Justin reached down and grabbed a handful of Brian's crotch. He played with the healthy sized package for a few seconds and then grinned.

"Well old man, it looks like some of your parts are still working satisfactorily. If we start right now do you think we could get finished by the time the youngen gets back home from her date....I mean if we go slow enough we might not hurt ourselves."

The pleasurable tingle in Brian's groin made a snappy comeback a little hard to come up with and that wasn't the only thing getting a little hard. Brian decided that play time was over. He straightened up, and using one hand to get a handful of Justin's goodies and the other one to pull his hubby if for a more meaningful kiss, Brian started up a game that he enjoyed even more than the one they were playing with JR. And even better yet, this was a game that both men knew so very well that both came out winners every time, which they proceeded to do while forgetting all about the movie that still waited patiently on pause.

***********************************************

JR, Gidge, Kevin, and newcomer Alejandro entered the big room where a large crowd milled about chatting in groups of two to ten. A plentiful spread of goodies was laid out on a long white linen covered table over to one side. A bar was set up on the other side with a table loaded with soft drinks and punch standing next to that. There were a couple of dozen settees and chairs throughout the room and a large marble fronted fireplace with a roaring fire in the back of the room. Someone was playing soothing music as a backdrop to all the conversations. JR had found Alejandro quite attractive, just as promised, when she was first introduced to him outside of Kevin's car. Their conversation in the car was lively and stimulating. JR had decided by the time she got to the party that this was going to be one of her better dates after all. Four hours later, JR casually mentioned that she hated to end the party but she really needed to make an early night of it. The rest of her small group were visibly disappointed. Gidge excused herself and dragged JR off to the powder room for a little female chat, leaving the men behind.

"Why such a hurry to go JR? I got the impression you were having a good time and that you approved of Alejandro. Was I wrong?"

"No, no. Seriously Gidge, I wasn't using an excuse. I promised to make an early night of it and it's not like we just got here. And by the way, I do like your choice this time. Alejandro isn't just a pretty face...although he certainly does have that...but he is really smart and we have no trouble communicating at all. I find him fascinating. He has some wonderful ideas for running his country some day. I have the feeling he just might end up doing it too, so quit worrying. I give you four stars for your taste for once," she laughed.

"Well good. So let's go back to our men and let 'em know that we aren't just trying to get away from them."

"As if Kevin would ever think that about you. You do know the guy is madly in love with you, right?"

Gidge blushed, checked her hair in the mirror quickly, and led the way out of the bathroom. The two couples went around saying their goodbyes to some of the friends they had enjoyed chatting and debating with all night and made their way back to the car. When Kevin drove up in the Kinney/Taylor driveway, Alejandro jumped out to walk JR to the door. He had deep brown eyes with long black lashes and curly black hair the color of midnight. He was a very serious minded young man of twenty one and he certainly had a beautiful smile that showed his perfect white teeth behind full dark lips. JR faced the young man in front of her door and waited. She knew that she wanted to kiss Alejandro and see if it felt right, but wasn't sure if he felt the same. Suddenly he smiled broadly and lifted her hand. He placed a soft kiss on the back of her hand.

"I have had a most delightful evening JR. Kevin was right when he said that you are both beautiful and intelligent. I hope that this will prove to be only the beginning of our friendship. I would feel honored if you would let me take you to dinner sometime in the future."

JR was impressed by his immaculate manners. Few of the young men she knew were so well spoken. In that instant, JR decided that she would take a chance with Alejandro. She would go to dinner and make sure he knew about her family right away. It would be like pulling a band aid off quickly. He would either accept her parentage and brother and the background she came from or reject it the way Noah had. Either way she would know where they stood from their first real date and not waste any more time if the young man was as big a fool as Noah. Thinking of Noah again gave her a moment's pause, but she shook it off. He'd had his chance and he blew it. Maybe Alejandro would know a good thing when he saw it a lot better than poor pathetic Noah did. She quickly agreed to dinner before she could change her mind and smiled warmly when Alejandro promised to call about the date and gave her one last kiss on the hand before walking back to the waiting car. JR waved good bye and entered the house. She noticed that DB and DJ were still laid out on the couch, waved good night as they acknowledged her presence, and went on to her own room. Maybe tonight there would be no grey eyed men in her dreams. At least she hoped so.

To be continued..........................