- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

In this chapter, good news for Jason also brings along a problem that could have very bad consequences, so the young man turns to the two men he knows he can trust the most to help him come up with the best solution.

Jason glanced over at his teammate, Tom, and smiled. This was their third project together as a team and it was receiving ten times more praise than the other two projects combined. He knew, without a doubt, that this one was going to earn the pair a substantial bonus. Jason already knew what he wanted to do with his. Spring Break wasn't that far off for boyfriend, Gus, and he wanted to take the man on an unforgettable trip to Europe to visit some of the best museums. He knew that would knock Gus' socks off. He grinned inwardly thinking of Gus with socks...and lots more...off. His attention snapped back to the meeting at hand when he heard his boss mention his name. Tom was urging him to join him standing while the entire staff of building designers gave them a loud round of applause. The two men smiled their appreciation.



Once the meeting was over they continued to accept all the congratulations. After listening to some of their comments Jason realized he'd been daydreaming through the part where his boss announced that their latest design had won the prestigious Design of the Year award. Jason was shocked. He knew the design was really, really good....innovative, modern, and attractive to the eye....but he hadn't even known they were in the running for the award. His boss had obviously submitted the design without saying a word to them. Tom was over to the side talking to the top man. A moment later, he moved over to where Jason was accepting more praise from fellow staffers and clapped his teammate on the back.



"I don't know about you Jason, but I am really looking forward to the awards ceremony next week. By the way, did you even know that Mr. Breyer had entered our design in the contest? I mean, if you did I wish you would have given me a heads up on it."



"No...no, really. I hadn't the slightest idea. He never said a word to me. This is great though. Do you realize that with an award like that under our belt we could just about write our own ticket for further commissions?" Jason was beginning to feel the buzz of excitement.



"Not only that, but it would go a long way if we ever decide to go into business for ourselves. I don't know about you, but I would kill to be my own boss someday," Tom stated, just a tad under his breath. "It's not that I don't like it here, but can you imagine picking and choosing your own projects and being totally responsible for the thing without overseers breathing down your neck?"



Actually, Jason could imagine it. He had ambitions too, although he knew he needed a lot more experience under his belt before going into business on his own. However, Tom's enthusiasm was certainly contagious. The two men walked back to their office feeling the excitement stirring inside them. Once they got back and settled behind their desks, Mr. Breyer stepped in.



"Jason...Tom, I just want you two to know how proud I am of you. I knew I'd made a smart move in hiring both of you and I had the feeling you two would work well together. Now, I have six tickets to the awards ceremony for each of you. That's so you can bring any loved ones with you to support you when you're called up to accept the award. There will be a dinner and dance right after. You've made Breyer Architectural Designs proud boys and I intend to show my gratitude. Now, before you get started on the new project, why don't you take off early and go home. Go brag to the family. They have every right to be as proud of you as we are here at the company. It's Friday, so I don't want to see you back here till Monday. Take some time to shop for something nice to wear to the ceremony. It's just one week from today. Now scoot, and I'll see you on Monday morning."



Mr. Breyer left the room beaming. Tom turned to Jason and smiled.



"Well, I don't know about you but I'm more than happy to oblige the boss man. I guess I'll see you on Monday. You'll be bringing Gus to the ceremony, right?"



"Of course...and you?"



"I don't really have a steady right now, but I'm sure I can scare up some companions to clap like crazy when I walk up to the podium. Damn, this is going to be one hell of a good time. I guess I'll see you on Monday then."



With that, Tom grabbed his briefcase and jacket and made a quick exit to the elevators. Jason stood looking at Tom's retreating back and his bright smile dimmed considerably. In all the excitement over winning the award, he hadn't thought of the consequences. He and Tom had been working together for over four months now and somehow Jason had been able to avoid bringing up Tom's name as his co-worker. As far as Gus was concerned, Jason worked well with any and all co-workers on different assignments. He was completely unaware that his lover was paired up on every assignment with his one-time one-night stand. Jason suddenly realized that he couldn't avoid the truth any longer. He had told himself that he was sparing Gus the hurt of knowing that Jason had to see Tom every day at work, but he knew that was only a small fraction of why he had kept it to himself. In truth, he wasn't confident that Gus could deal with the news and his job was too important to risk over that doubt.



Jason gathered his things and left the building a bit less jubilant than he had been thirty minutes earlier. He loved Gus more than life itself, but this was one night he wasn't in any hurry to rush home. As Jason slid behind the wheel of his car, he had a sudden thought. He flashed back on one of the stories that Gus used to tell him of an incident that happened between his two dads years ago. Jason had a great relationship with his father, but when it came to man on man problems Jason always felt more comfortable talking to Gus' dads. This was one time he knew they would be a better source of answers. He started the engine and drove off, heading for the Kinney/Taylor house.



*****************************



Brian sat across from his son's boyfriend and waited. He could see clearly that Jason had something important...not to mention serious...on his mind but was having trouble expressing it. Jason had surprised he and Justin a short time earlier by calling to see if they were both home and then asking if he could come over. Brian had just returned from a one day business trip out of town and hadn't even unpacked, but there was something in Jason's tone that told him he should accept the young man's request. As soon as he hung up, Brian made a quick trip upstairs to Justin's studio where his husband was working on one of his pieces for the new show to be held in less than a month. If the show was as successful as the previous one, Brian was determined to take some time off work and convince Justin to join him on a repeat tour of all the best museums in Europe. The kids didn't need them around all the time as they once had.



That was Brian's thought at the time, but now he wasn't so sure. There was something heavy weighing on Jason's mind and Brian instinctively knew it had something to do with Gus. Jason would almost always go to his own dad when he had any other concerns, but usually confided in he and Justin when it had to do with Gus. It always made Brian a little uncomfortable because they were talking about his son, after all, but he and Justin had said long ago that either young man could come to them with anything anytime and Brian was a man of his word. Jason finally stopped fidgeting and his first words confirmed Brian's worst fears. This was about Gus, and it wasn't going to be good.



"Guys...look, I'm sorry to come to you like this but I've really screwed up...I think...and I don't know what to do about it."



Brian felt a chill. He could still remember how devastated his son was when Jason had strayed that one night so long ago. It certainly wasn't something that Brian couldn't sympathize with, but his son was not like him at all. Gus believed a lot more like Justin...that one man was enough and faithfulness was a good thing. But then again, Justin had strayed too. Brian frowned with the memory. It was then that he heard Justin cough to get his attention.



"I'm sorry," he said rather sheepishly, looking up from the floor to Jason's stricken face. "Go on, Jason."



"Yes, we'll help you in any way we can," confirmed Justin, reaching over to pat Brian's leg reassuringly. "What did you do that has made you feel so worried. It obviously has to do with Gus or he'd be sitting here with you."



"It isn't so much what I've done...it's what I haven't done, really. I....well Hell, I didn't lie to him about something, but I didn't exactly tell him either. I mean, I didn't tell him something that maybe I should have. At least, I'm afraid he's going to say I should have and I'm not sure if he'll forgive me for not telling him. I mean, there isn't anything bad to tell him. It's just my job, but...well damn it, I know it's going to piss him off. Big time...and okay, I know I screwed up and should have just told him when I first found out. I mean....."



"Whoa there kid. Calm down. You're not really making much sense." Justin looked to see if Brian was staying calm. He didn't need two upset men on his hands. "Why don't you just start from the beginning," he added.



"You both know about the beginning, in a way. This is related to a really stupid thing I did a long time ago, and now its come back to haunt me," he began hesitantly at first, but then picked up steam as the words tumbled out. He noticed the growing scowl on Brian's face but it was too late to turn back now.



"You remember that fiasco over Tom Ulrey some time back?" The couple nodded their heads...as if they'd ever forget. "Look, you've got to believe me...I haven't had any contact with him in all that time." Pause. "That is, I hadn't up until just before Christmas."



Jason got more nervous when he saw the way that both men leaned forward more, and the look on Brian's face darkened even more. He hurried on to explain.



"I know that was months ago, but it isn't my fault. I mean, my boss hired Tom just before Christmas and...and well, he knew we went to school together and he thought we'd work well together....and well, he sort of assigned us to the same project. Well hell, what I mean is we're not just co-workers...we're teammates."



"And Gus doesn't like this arrangement?" Brian asked in a barely controlled monotone.



Jason's eyes widened. "That's just it. He doesn't know about it. Look, it happened right around our Anniversary and I just didn't want to spoil it for him. And...oh fuck, that's not the whole truth. I love my job and we really do work well together and I didn't want to have to choose between my job and Gus' happiness. At first, I wasn't even sure that we would work out well together and I thought that it would never become an issue. Then when the boss loved us as teammates and kept giving us assignments...well I kept thinking that no harm was being done by keeping silent. I didn't keep tabs on Gus' job and he didn't keep tabs on mine. And it's not like anything was ever happening between Tom and I. The only time we talk is at work. Okay, there have been an occasional call outside of work but only for work related reasons. Never ever anything personal. Damn guys, I just don't know what to do," he almost wailed at the end.



Brian's face had gone blank. The scowl was gone, but it was now impossible to read at all. Justin seemed to relax a tiny bit too. Justin was the first to speak up.



"So why has it become an issue all of a sudden when you've kept this secret for such a long time, Jason?"



"Because Tom and I were just informed that our last design won a very prestigious award and there will be a huge ceremony where we receive the award, a gift, and they'll have a dinner and dance for everyone afterward. We each get six tickets to the event and of course I have to go. It's the best thing to happen to me since falling in love with your son. But I can't go there and accept without Gus by my side. I wouldn't even want to. I have to tell him, but frankly I'm scared to death of how he'll react. I came to you guys because I thought maybe you'd know what or at least how I should approach this with him." Jason took a deep breath. "Honest guys, I believed I was saving Gus needless worry but...but...well hell, the truth is I wanted my cake and to eat it too. I love Gus more than anything but I was afraid he'd insist I get rid of Tom and I knew we worked together too well to throw it all away, especially since our boss was so happy with us as a team. We swore we'd never lie to each other, but I guess you'd call this a lie of omission and I'm not sure Gus will forgive me. I need your help. Please!"



Brian and Justin looked over at each other. Justin knew his man intimately and could see where Brian's mind had wandered. He was remembering a time when another young man thought that saying nothing was better than hurting someone he loved. Both he and Brian had made the mistake of keeping secrets that could...and did...cause a lot of pain, he with Ethan and Brian with his cancer. The two older men looked at each other and a silent agreement passed between them. They turned back to Jason who was waiting anxiously for their response.



"We want to help Jason. We know what real love looks like and that is why we've always supported your relationship with our boy," Justin began. "Sometimes Gus is more like his mom, Mel, than his birth mother. He can be very hard nosed about some things and not be that forgiving of human frailties. But Gus, as you know, also has a heart that's bigger than the world and I know beyond doubt that you are at the center of it. If you want us to, we'll talk to him first and then you can tell him or we can all tell him together, or we'll go along with any other thought you have."



Jason felt like a ton had been lifted off his shoulders. He had known that coming to Brian and Justin was the smart move to make. He sat back and thought for a second. Quickly he made his decision.



"Okay, I think it would be best if I tell Gus with you guys there. It's not that I'm afraid to tell him alone, although I guess I really am, but that way he can turn to you guys in case he wants me out. Oh God, I hope that doesn't happen but he'll need you two if it does. That way he won't have to come to you, cause you'll already be there. What do you think about that idea?"



Brian looked at Justin and again they spoke their silent language. Brian walked over to the phone and picked it up. He pressed a single button and heard the phone ringing. A voice at the other end asked that he leave a message for the cell user. Brian spoke quickly.



"Hey Sonnyboy. This is important. We need you to stop over here when you get through with class today. This is vitally important. Please come here first before going home. Love ya, Dad."



He clicked off the phone, looked at his companions and said, "Done. Now all we have to do is wait."



To be continued..................................