- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

At last, we've come to the end of the road with the second of the Double Trouble series.  The future certainly looks bright for everyone involved. I hope you all enjoyed where this story has led you. I want to thank each and every one of you who have supported this story, from the very beginning when Brian and Justin first went to Canada to celebrate Mel and Lindsay's Anniversary, which changed their lives forever. Many thanks to Eka one last time for the beautiful banner she provided me. I will be forever grateful to her for all she has done for me. Many thanks to Pat for hanging in there with me too as my beta. Now without further ado, the conclusion of this story...Enjoy!

The Kinney/Taylor house had never been noisier. Laughter could be heard in every corner of the first floor of the large home. There were familiar faces standing around talking to each other everywhere one looked. There was good reason for all the excitement. Brian and Justin were known for throwing some pretty spectacular parties but none had been for a reason they were more excited about or proud of. All the guests were simply waiting for the guest of honor to arrive, then the party would really rock. Tonight was going to be a night to remember for more reasons than one. Brian gave his husband the once over. Justin had never looked more handsome. It still amazed Brian that he could be so turned on by his blond beauty even after twenty three years had flown by. Even at this moment in time when they had a houseful of guests downstairs, Brian wanted to help Justin out of his clothes and back onto the bed they had just left a half hour earlier when they couldn't keep their hands off each other despite the party they were supposed to be dressing for. But tonight was super important so Brian controlled himself. He gave Justin one last deep and satisfying kiss and then the two men left their bedroom to go downstairs and join their guests.

********************************************************************

JR laughed out loud. "You really aren't going to wear that tie to the party, are you?" she asked the handsome grey eyed young man in front of her.

"Why not?," Noah asked with a smirk. "You're the one who bought it for me."

"As a joke, Noah...as if you didn't know," she laughed, pulling a face on him. "Tonight is special. You have to look your very best, which you always do for me but you know what a clothes horse DB is. I want him to be impressed by my man."

"Your man, huh?"

"My man, and don't you forget it. Now hurry up. We don't want to be the last folks to arrive. I am so excited. I can't believe this day is finally here."

Noah walked up to JR and wrapped his arms around her. She felt so good in his arms. He still marveled at how lucky he was that she had given him a second chance. Thank God he didn't blow it the second time around. The last year had been the best year of his life and he prayed it would last forever. But for now he needed to get his girl to her parents house. This was indeed a special night and they had some big news to share with the family. He could hardly wait for the evening to begin. Noah gave JR a soft kiss and picked up the Summery wrap she was wearing over her bright yellow dress with the spaghetti straps and flared skirt. She looked like a bright ray of sunshine and Noah thought she never looked sweeter. She was supremely happy and Noah was just glad that he played a part in some of that happiness. The couple left their brand new tidy little apartment and made their way to the car that Brian and Justin had bought for JR on her nineteenth birthday. In minutes they were on their way to Brian and Justin's house.

******************************

Gus was frantic. He was certain he had put the box he was looking for in the hall closet but he couldn't find it there. He had to have that box. He called out for Jason but got no response. 'Damn', he thought out loud. Jason should have been back by now. Gus was about to climb out of his skin. He had never been more excited about anything. He could hardly wait to get going. He knew that everyone was probably already at his Dad's house. He and Jason were running late as usual. Of course there was a damned good reason. The jeweler had finally finished his engraving and had called to let the couple know that they could come by and pick up their rings. Jason had volunteered to go since it was obvious that Gus was in no condition to drive right now. The poor guy was more hyper than Jason had ever seen him. It made Jason enormously proud when he thought of the reason for Gus' extreme great mood.

It had taken Gus all of last Summer to get his novel nearly finished. It took another six months to finish it, refine it, and prepare to submit it to publishers. His time had been severely limited when school started up again but Jason never balked at the time it took away from the things they used to do together for fun. He was well aware that Gus' novel was like his own child and giving birth to it had made his life more exciting than anything he had ever done before. Jason loved Gus with every ounce of his being and would never stand in the way of his partner's success. Now that the novel was completed and had finally found a publisher after months of submissions and rejections, Jason was getting his reward for his support. The party was to celebrate the release of Gus' first novel but the couple had another surprise to announce at the party. This was why Jason was out running a last minute errand while Gus fretted over his missing box. By the time Jason returned to their apartment, Gus had turned every corner upside down in his search.

Jason stepped through the front door to the sight of a place that looked like a hurricane had hit it. He could see the hall closet door wide open and several items that were normally inside the closet laying on the floor to the side of the door. For one brief second Jason panicked. He called out for Gus, praying the place hadn't been broken into and Gus hurt by strangers. His heart skipped a beat when he heard Gus' voice coming from the bedroom sounding frustrated but healthy. Jason stepped gingerly over boxes, pillows, and other assorted items on the floor and went straight for their bedroom. He found Gus on his hands and knees peeking under the bed.

"I can't find it anywhere," Gus almost cried, looking up at his lover. "I thought I put that stupid box in the closet for safekeeping but it isn't there. I promised everyone they would get the first copies off the press. I have to take it to the party. I've looked everywhere and I still can't find it."

"Obviously," Jason laughed, moving over to where Gus was kneeling and kneeling down to join him. "It looks like you've left no stone...or drawer or closet....unturned."

"It's not funny," Gus snapped back petulantly.

Jason grabbed Gus' face with his hands and forced the young man to look him in the eye. "Sweetheart, have you forgotten that you asked me this morning to take the box down to the car and load it in the trunk so we wouldn't forget it? I got the maintenance man to help me hours ago."

Gus' face flamed. Of course he had forgotten. He would forget his own head right now if Jason wasn't around to keep it on straight for him. He had never felt so much excitement mixed with anxiety over anything since he first openly admitted his love for his best friend, only this time he had his entire family and friends to worry about. He wanted so badly for them to approve of what he had written, especially since most of his novel was based on their real lives. His greatest concern was, of course, his Dad and DJ. Their story was so complicated and yet so beautiful and Gus wanted nothing more than to give it the respect it deserved. He had not allowed anyone, except for Jason, to have a preview of his novel but now the whole gang would see it. Now he knew how DJ and DM had felt when their first comic book issue had been released. He just hoped his novel would be half as successful. Gus reached up and covered Jason's hands with his own. Jason leaned in and gave Gus a full on passionate kiss that reminded the young man that nothing Gus could do would bother him. Gus returned the kiss with equal passion. The young men would have liked to continue the kissing but they were already behind schedule so with a last hug they rose up and checked to see if they had everything they needed.

"Did you get the rings?" Gus asked.

Jason patted his jacket pocket and smiled.
 
"Perfect! Shall we go then?"

With one last look backwards and a declaration that they would tidy up later, the two men moved off to head for their car. Tonight was going to be the most special night of all so far, which was really saying something since all their nights proved to be special.

****************************************

Grandma Deb was the first to spot JR when she swept into the room. She rushed over as quickly as her old legs would let her to hug the brightly shining star of her life. JR tried her best to breathe as her grandmother smothered her to her ample bosom. Luckily Grandma Deb spotted Noah coming up behind JR so she gave her granddaughter a break and whisked the handsome young man into her embrace next. JR took several deep breaths and grinned at Noah's pained expression over Debbie's shoulder. She was so relieved that her entire family had taken to Noah after spending time with him and getting to know him better. It didn't hurt that all of them could see how much happier their little girl had become since breaking up with Alejandro and taking up with Noah. They had gotten their old spitfire happy-go-lucky JR back and that was more than enough to put Noah in their good graces. It also didn't hurt that they liked Noah's brothers a lot too when meeting them at Christmas time.

Noah had been having a hard time dealing with the coming Christmas holidays since his father had thrown him out of the house after Noah had confronted him on some of his beliefs when he had returned home from Spring Break. The 'Good' Reverend John had made it clear that Noah was no longer welcome in his home or church as long as his errant son continued on his path of sinful behavior and blasphemous thoughts. Noah had thought he was prepared for the loss of his parents, and he had coped well with JR by his side, but the holidays brought a feeling of loss that had slowly settled over the young man. JR sensed what the problem was and contacted Jacob and Matthew, Noah's older brothers. She used all her most persuasive charms, of which she had plenty, to convince them that they needed to come back to Pittsburgh and spend the Christmas holidays with Noah. The brothers couldn't pass up the chance to prove to their father that Noah would not be alone and abandoned because he had stood up to the old man. Christmas turned out to be one of the best ones ever for both Noah and JR.

Noah had found housing on campus for the next school year and JR continued to live at home with DB and DJ, spending lots of time with her Dad, Daddy Ben, and Grandma Deb too. The couple had waited almost ten months before they finally became intimate enough to go all the way. JR had been impressed by Noah's patience although she knew he had spent plenty of time in the cold showers. It was important to him that she be completely sure of their relationship. One magical night it finally happened and JR found that it was everything she had hoped for. The two virgins took it slow and easy and the love they felt for each other made the experience even more special despite their nervousness. The very next day they started talking about getting a place together. It had taken almost a month to convince JR's dads that she was doing the right thing by moving out of the family home, but eventually all the men and Grandma Deb had relented and given their blessing. Now they were about to make another big announcement. All they needed was for Gus and Jason to show up.

They didn't have long to wait. Less than five minutes after JR and Noah had shown up, Gus and Jason followed close behind with both men lugging a heavy box between them. They were immediately swamped by family and friends with several trying to ease their burden by helping to lug the big box to a large table set up in a corner of the main living room. Brian and Justin were prepared ahead of time and knew exactly what was in the box. They were both anxious to get their hands on the books. Everyone stood around and near the table as Gus pulled back the tabs on the box and revealed its contents. Ooooh's and ahhh's could be heard throughout as folks jostled for a peek inside the box. There were row after rows of books stacked neatly almost two feet deep.

The first thing everyone noticed was the cover of the book. There it was in bright rainbow colors...."Queer Folks: Lovers & Family", an aptly named title if ever there was one. Just as exciting were the words...By Gus Peterson/Marcus/Kinney/Taylor. The name had been Gus' idea as he wanted to honor all the parents who had loved and cared for him so much since the day he was born. He looked up just in time to see his dad, Brian, brushing something from his eyes. If he didn't know better he would have thought those were tears seeping from his stoic father. There was no mistaking the tears that slipped down Justin's cheeks. The pride the men felt for him warmed Gus in every inch of his being. He just hoped they'd feel the same way after reading the book.

Just as many words of praise were being directed towards Justin. Gus had enlisted DJ's help in creating the perfect design for his book jacket. Justin had felt honored to create a drawing for the cover and he had outdone himself. The cover picture clearly showed the artist's thinly disguised vision of the actual members of the most important people in Gus's life. There was Emmett and Drew up in one corner and Ted and Blake in another. There was Grandma Deb and Grandpa Carl standing near the center with Uncle Vic hovering over them as if he was an angel standing guard over them. There was Michael and Ben standing next to Grandma Deb with Hunter and his family nearby. Grandma Jenn and Tucker were standing right behind Brian and Justin. Standing with their arms around each other in the very front was Gus' moms, Linds and Mel, and next to them Gus' dad with his arm around DJ. Standing between the two loving couples was JR and Gus with Noah and Jason kneeling down in front of them. It was a crowded picture but the drawing was so beautifully detailed that each person was distinctly recognizable by those who knew them. There was also no question that a lot of love was put into the drawing. The publisher had wanted to go with a simpler picture until Gus had presented Justin's drawing. Once he had viewed a copy of the drawing, there was no longer any question about using it for the book cover.

As the evening wore on, everyone who had been invited had drifted off to join one group of folks or another and everyone could be seen thumbing through the pages of the book. As parts were being read, conversations would flare up about what had just been digested. There was laughter and even a few tears being shed as the readers relived memories from the past or became engrossed in some bit of story they were not aware of before. Some of the friends who hadn't known the characters that the novel portrayed in their earlier days found themselves seeing their friends in a whole new light. Hours went by. Folks took breaks to sample some of the excellent food that Brian and Justin had provided or to grab another cocktail from the bar, then they drifted off to join another group and engage in another lively discussion.

Brian and Justin, who had moved off to a corner of the room away from most of the others, had been reading page after page of their son's novel to each other. Gus, who had been circulating throughout the areas of the house where folks were gathering, had kept a wary eye on the men. He felt relieved that he never caught a glimpse of a scowl on his dad's face but he still wasn't sure how either man was feeling about what he had written. The suspense kept building. JR and Noah joined he and Jason late in the evening and offered their congratulations on a job well done. JR had picked out her favorite passages in the novel, many of which involved living in Canada and many more that covered their return to the United States, and made sure that Gus knew how pleased she was with the way her big brother had portrayed her and the family. Gus was happy to hear JR's appraisal but he still wanted to know what his Dad and DJ thought most of all. Finally, as the hour moved closer to midnight, Brian and Justin stepped into the middle of the room that most of the guests were in and Brian clinked his glass to get their attention. He waited until the stragglers had returned to the main room and then he began talking.

"May I please have everyone's attention." The noise died down until the room became hushed. "I would like to be the first to congratulate my son on his wonderful achievement." Brian pulled Gus towards him and draped his arm around his son's shoulders. "Gus, I can't speak for everyone but I want you to know how very proud you have made me this day. I will speak for your Moms too, if you will allow me. I have no doubt whatsoever that Linds and Mel would be equally proud of their son." Brian pulled Justin into his embrace on his other side. "I never thought that our story, and that of our friends and family was anything worth writing about but I can already tell from what I've read that you have captured what makes our little group special. We may not be a perfect people but we have a love and loyalty that you won't find just anywhere. My life could have gone so differently if it hadn't been for many of you in this room today, and I want to say right now that I am grateful for each and every one of you. And Gus, I want to thank you for being the kind of son a father can be proud of. The day you were born is truly the luckiest and best day of my life."

Brian smiled at Justin, who knew that his husband was referring to more than just Gus' birth. Brian gathered the two men close to him and gave them both tight squeezes while the room broke out in applause. Gus waited until the applause died down and then held up his hand for silence. He reached out for Jason's hand and pulled him in close. He smiled at Jason and then at his dad and DJ.

"Dad, I want to thank you for your words, but now it is my turn. Jason and I have an announcement and we wanted to give it on this very special night when all our friends and family were gathered together in one place."

Brian looked surprised. What else could the young couple have in store for them? He glanced at Justin, who shrugged his shoulders. He obviously had no clue either.

"Dad, DJ, Mr. Tyler, Mrs. Tyler, JR, Gidge, family, friends....", Gus began...."when we got the news that my manuscript was accepted for publication Jason surprised me by getting down on one knee and proposing to me. I, of course, said yes! We haven't set a date yet but it will be sometime this Summer."

Gasps could be heard throughout the room, followed quickly by laughter and excited babble. Gus and Jason kissed each other with tenderness just as everyone rushed over to slap them on the back and offer their heartiest congratulations. Jason pulled out the ring box he was carrying and displayed the bands the two would use at the ceremony. It took a while for things to calm down a bit but once it did Gus turned to his Dad and DJ and told them something that came from the deepest part of his heart.

"You do know that the only reason I'm willing to take a chance on marriage is because of the example that you two and my mothers have given me all these years? "

It was a statement of fact and not a question. Just then JR joined the group with Noah right behind her. She waited until there was an opening and then quietly asked Brian if he would get everyone to quiet down again for one more announcement. Brian repeated his earlier glass clinking and then offered JR the floor. She grasped Noah's hand and confidently began her speech.

"I first want to tell my wonderful brother here how very happy I am for him. I know how much he and Jason love each other and I see a bright future for them together. I also see a bright future for myself and I have a wonderful man in Noah to help me reach my full potential." She paused to heighten the suspense. Finally...."My future in politics will get a kick start this Summer beginning with an invitation from our esteemed Governor Grayson to intern for her in Harrisburg. Noah has already secured a Summer job there and then we'll come back for the new school year."

Mouths dropped open all over the room. It took a moment for the whole gang to absorb what they had just heard. Their little girl, barely over nineteen was going away for the first time and holding down her first real job. JR waited until Gus hugged her and then whispered in his ear.

"Will you forgive me for stepping on your big announcement big brother?"

Gus laughed heartily. "You always did enjoy stealing my thunder kiddo....but of course I will. I'm so proud of you. You're on your way. Just don't tell me that you and Noah plan on getting married anytime soon. I'm not sharing a wedding date with you."

JR gave Gus a hard punch in the arm, then she whispered conspiratorially, "Don't tell him I said this but I am most definitely marrying that man someday. But no, we are not going to rush anything. We have our education to complete and we want to be settled like you and Jason. Just make sure you don't set your wedding date on a work day. I'm going to be pretty busy this Summer, you know."

"Anything to accommodate my baby sister," Gus laughed.

*******************************************

Brian and Justin lay close together in their big bed staring at the ceiling. The house was quiet...almost too quiet. All the guests had gone and the two children they had helped to raise for the last six years were probably already laying safe and warm in the arms of their lovers in their own apartments. Justin was the first to break the comfortable silence that had descended on the couple as they showered and prepared for bed after making sure the house was secured. He reached out to the side and gathered Brian's hand into his.

"Well 'Dad' it looks like both our kids are all grown up at last."

Brian turned his head to look at the beautiful man beside him.

"It does indeed, Sunshine." Brian sighed deeply. "I think they're both going to be okay, don't you?" he asked.

"Without a doubt. The girls did a really good job raising them and we picked up right where they left off." Justin rose up on his elbow and leaned over to give Brian a soft kiss. "I think we both can be proud of what we've accomplished Brian. Do you remember when I told you over twenty years ago that you weren't like your father....that you were a good dad?" Brian nodded. "The proof is in our son and daughter. Blood or no blood, we...both of us together...have given our love to those kids and they've repaid us a thousand times over. I couldn't be more proud of them if I had fathered them myself."

Brian kissed Justin back with fervor. "And I wouldn't have wanted to be father to either of them without you by my side Justin. Everything I've accomplished as a parent is because you've always believed in me. I love you, you know."

"I know. I've always known," Justin proudly responded.

The two men moved closer and hugged each other tight. As Brian was kissing Justin's cheek, he whispered in the younger man's ear.

"So what do you think our kids are doing right now to celebrate their good news?"

Justin's eyes twinkled. "Would you like me to show you?"

"Please do," came the enthusiastic reply.

For the next half hour the two long-time lovers re-explored all the familiar territory of each other's bodies. They gently kissed, nipped, and massaged all those places that they knew so well. They had plenty of practice but they always lived by the motto that practice makes perfect so there was no such thing as too much practice for them. They left no stone unturned in their quest to bring each other the maximum of pleasure as their passion rose to great heights and then receded for a brief respite before rising to even greater heights. By the time they had climbed that mountain of ecstasy together and tumbled over it locked in a timeless embrace, they were exhausted.

That night, as the couple spooned together as they had for thousands of nights before, they each fell asleep dreaming of the days of success that their two kids would enjoy in the coming years. They could rest assured that two mothers, Mel and Lindsay, were resting easy in their graves knowing that Brian and Justin had done their job of bringing up the children....and done it quite well.

The End

The End.
mandagrammy is the author of 93 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Double Trouble: Graduation also liked 654 other stories.