- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

JR has run into the grey-eyed mystery man that she felt an instant attraction for at her graduation party and finally has the chance to learn more about him.  Will she like what she learns or become even more confused as to what to do next?

JR was speechless, something as rare as snowstorms in Hawaii. The very guy she'd been looking for was standing right in front of her...in a church rectory, no less. She was so caught off guard, she had lost her focus completely and didn't even notice when the young man quickly put down the items he'd been holding and moved over to where she stood rooted in place.



"Miss, are you alright," the young man asked solicitously, reaching out as if to steady her.



Apparently JR had gotten quite flushed and swayed as if she would faint. His words seemed to shake her from her momentary stupor and she flushed more deeply. Luckily she also found her voice again. She steadied herself and moved back from the handsome stranger. Just his tiny touch of her elbow had caused a tingle on her skin. That was new to her.



"No...no, I'm fine. I'm sorry. You just caught me off guard. I hadn't expected to see you again...well certainly not here of all places."



The confused look on the young man's face let JR know that she hadn't made as big an impact on him as he had done for her. She felt an odd sense of disappointment. She quickly went on to explain.



"I'm sure you don't remember me, but I met you...well not exactly met, but saw you at the graduation party my family threw for me and a friend a little over a week ago. It was at the Prestige Hotel and you were working the banquet table. I'm afraid I came across a little rude when I saw you removing a platter that I was reaching for, and....."



"Oh yes," the young man interrupted, "I remember you. Actually I thought you were quite thoughtful when you realized I was only trying to provide you with fresher food. So the party was for you? It was quite a grand affair. Your family must love you a great deal. I've been to many such affairs and yours was one of the nicest I've seen."



"Well thank you, ahh...."



"Noah...Noah Roberts. And you are?"



"JR Marcus/Peterson," she answered breathlessly. "And yes, my family is very loving. So are my friend's family. Her name is Bridget Tyler. So you work for the hotel...I mean, if you don't mind my asking?"



"No, I don't mind. I work for the catering company part time. I'm saving up money this Summer for my next year at school."



"Where are you attending? I'll be going to Carnegie Mellon to study Political Science," she told him proudly.



"That's interesting. I'm a third year student at Carnegie Mellon studying Philosophy and Ethics. We will probably run into each other in the halls on occasion since your studies will be in the same buildings as mine."



Noah said this in a very matter of fact tone which didn't make JR feel very happy. The young man was very polite, but certainly not enthralled with her like most boys she turned her eye on. She was about to try and extract a bit more information when another of her friends, Rachel, hurried into the room to check on what was taking her so long to gather up the bride's purse and get back to the limo. She stopped in her tracks when she saw that a conversation was going on, but then took a deep breath and interrupted.



"JR, what's taking so long? Everyone is anxious to get going and we're only waiting on you."



JR suddenly remembered why she had come to the rectory in the first place. She scanned the room rapidly but didn't see the missing purse. She turned to Noah.



"The bride left her purse behind and we believe it was in here. You wouldn't have any idea where it might be, would you?"



"Actually I do," he answered, walking over to a cabinet nearby. "I found it on one of the chairs and put it in here for safekeeping. I was going to take it to lost and found once I had finished cleaning up the room." He smiled as he handed over the purse.



JR was warmed by his smile even though his tone was neither friendly nor unfriendly. She took a second to wonder what it would sound like if his voice would come out as warm as his smile, but Rachel pulled on the back of her dress to warn her they needed to get going. She smiled back at the young man and turned to leave. They had only taken a few steps when Rachel turned back and threw a comment over her shoulder to the young man.



"Please tell your dad he performed a beautiful service for Trudy, Noah."



JR's mouth dropped open, but she had no time to react. Rachel had turned back again and was literally pulling her out into the hallway and all but dragging her down the hall. She got the message and picked up her speed until they reached the outside. They rushed for the waiting limo. JR was all apologies as the car pulled out from the parking lot with its load of bridesmaids and attendants and made a run for the estate where the reception was being held. JR was anxious to get to their destination so that she could pull Rachel aside and grill her on how she knew the mysterious young man.



*****************************



That night, as JR lay in her comfortable bed, she had quite a bit of trouble getting to sleep. Rachel had been very informative when questioned by a curious JR. It turned out that both Rachel and Trudy, the bride, were regular members of the church where the wedding was held. They were quite familiar with its charismatic preacher and his entire family. Reverend John Roberts had three sons actually...Jacob, the eldest, then Matthew, and lastly Noah. Jacob had gone to Seminary School and now had a church of his own in Rhode Island. Matthew lived in New York City and was co-owner of a popular restaurant with an old school friend. Noah was planning on working in some Social field such as Child Welfare after finishing his studies. Rachel told JR that the twenty year old was the youth minister at the church and was extremely popular with the children. She also informed her friend that he was not prone to dating since you hardly ever heard of him with any one girl or saw him with any particular girl. When JR questioned whether she could actually know anything about his private life, Rachel reminded her that she had been a member of the church since forever and the Roberts' had been there just as long.



The information that JR had gleaned that evening didn't sound inviting. First of all, JR had a long history with a certain kind of man and she didn't exactly trust a man who showed little interest in the opposite sex as being dating material for her. Secondly, he had shown no interest in her anyway. JR was not exactly an egotistical kind of gal, but she certainly knew that most men were at least a little charmed by her. On top of everything else, JR had a healthy caution when it came to super religious folks. Her family didn't usually fare well with that kind of people. As she began to fall asleep she told herself to forget all about the cute guy with the gorgeous steel-grey eyes. It might have worked too, if she hadn't had a really erotic dream (at least erotic for a virginal young thing) and found herself breathless in that same young man's arms just before she woke up the next morning in a fevered sweat.



********************************



Brian sat at the breakfast table while Justin finished scrambling his husband's egg white omelet with maple flavored turkey sausage and slicing up pieces of melon. Brian was in the middle of pouring a tall glass of fresh squeezed orange juice when they heard JR slowly coming down the back stairs. She stepped into the kitchen looking like death warmed over. The wedding and reception she had attended the night before must have been a lulu since it was obvious she was still exhausted. She dragged herself into the room and gratefully accepted the cup of coffee DJ offered her.



"You must have had quite a bit of fun yesterday, JR. You can always go back upstairs and sleep a little longer if you want. The boys won't be flying in until late this evening," Brian told her solicitously.



"No," she muttered. 'It wouldn't do any good to go back to bed. I still wouldn't be able to sleep very well." She paused, then pulled a chair up to the table and plopped down next to Brian. "DB, maybe you can help me. You've had a lot of experience with men."



Justin coughed out loud and threw his hand over his mouth. He tried mightily not to laugh out loud too. Brian threw him an evil look. He grinned widely, shrugged, then turned back to his melon.



"Go on," he told his adopted daughter.



"Anyway," she began again, "I don't know what to do or think. I met this really cute guy at the graduation party and then I lost sight of him before I could find out anything about him. Well, imagine my surprise when I ran into him again at the church after the wedding. We talked for a little bit and I found out his name and that he is attending Carnegie Mellon, just like Gidge and I will be doing."



"So what's the problem," interrupted Brian.



"The problem is that I can't read the guy. I can't tell if he likes me or not. What's worse is I found out that he is the Preacher's son. You know what they say about Preacher's sons."



Justin coughed again, but didn't turn around.



"I've met a few Preachers and probably their sons too in my lifetime," Brian agreed. "So you are going to judge this poor kid by what others might say or a generalization. Is that what you're saying?"



"Well no, of course not," she protested. "It's just that...well I don't know. I'm awfully attracted to him and I don't know what to do about it. I've never felt like this before with anyone. What do you do when you feel something special about someone but don't really know where you stand. I mean, should I just forget it and go on about my business. You know...look for someone else. Or should I make an attempt to get to know him better...make my presence known. Maybe get his attention till he can't ignore me and see where it goes from there."



Brian grinned broadly. "Well now, my dear girl, that is something you should ask DJ about. He's an expert at making himself visible to someone until they give in and give him the time of day."



"Plus a little bit more, if memory serves," Justin piped up, turning around to join the conversation. "Let me tell you, Sweetheart, if you really think that this young man could be important to you then you have to put yourself out there. Nothing comes to those who do nothing. I don't mean to go out and stalk the poor kid..."



It was Brian's turn to cough and cover his mouth. Justin returned the frown.



"What I'm saying is that you just need to try and find a good reason to be where he might be and let him see you. If he is interested in the slightest he'll make a move. If not, well then you've lost nothing for trying."



Justin put his arms around Brian's neck from behind and gave his husband a soft kiss on his stubbly cheek.



"If it turns out that he is attracted to you too...well it will be worth all the effort. Sometimes people don't know what they want until it is right there in front of them and they're forced to see it for themselves. Now, in the meantime, sit down and I'll fix you a good healthy breakfast. It looks like you'll need all your energy for some man hunting. "



JR stuck her tongue out at DJ and got up to get a glass for her orange juice. She counted herself lucky to have two, not one, fantastic men to help her when she needed some sound advice. The guys had never steered her wrong so far. She doubted they ever would. Right now she needed to finish her breakfast so that she could ring up Gidge and let her in on the plans that were already brewing in her brain. She'd need her friend's help if she wanted to do things the right way.



To be continued...........................................