- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Gus is about to find out the advantage of having parents who have been there....done that, as he seeks advice from Brian and Justin.  Hope you enjoy this brief look back into the past. 

Brian sat across from his son and waited. He knew that something was really upsetting Gus, but he sensed that the young man needed to gather himself before spilling. Gus was a lot more open with his feelings that his dad had ever been even after Justin came into his life, but he also made it a habit not to bother others with every little problem. No one could accuse Gus of being a whiner. The look on his face said clearly that whatever it was that had gotten under his skin, it was serious. Brian turned to the easy chair next to him. He felt better knowing Justin was sitting there waiting just as patiently for Gus to let it out.

The minute Gus came in the door, not bothering to knock as was his usual custom just in case his dad and DJ were at it again, Brian knew something was wrong. There was something different in the tone of his voice when he called out 'Dad'. Brian had been working on his computer setting up some new ideas for a campaign. The study where he did most of his business chores at home was on the other side of the front entrance. He quickly abandoned the computer and hurriedly stepped into the foyer. Gus' face added to what his voice sounded like. The kid was upset. Brian couldn't remember the last time he had seen Gus unhappy about anything. He moved to put a comforting arm on Gus' shoulder.

"Hey Son. Didn't expect to see you today. Is everything okay? Having troubles with your final exams?"

"No, shit no Pop!" Gus hardly ever called Brian that, or used that tone. It was a childhood name he once used. "I'm sorry Dad. I didn't mean to sound harsh. Look, I need to talk to you. I...well hell, I need to talk to both of you guys. Do you have time right now?"

"Gus, we always have time for you and your sister. You know that. Justin's up in his studio but I can get him for you."

"Please Dad, would you? I need your experience...both of you, to help me get a handle on what has just happened."

"Be right back kiddo. Just get yourself a drink or something and we'll meet in the den."

Gus nodded his agreement and moved off to the den where he knew the guys kept the liquor tray. Gus wasn't much of a drinker, but he felt he could use one this time. He poured a small glass of straight bourbon for himself and sat on his favorite couch to wait for Brian and Justin to join him.

Brian made a quick trip up the stairs and found Justin standing in his usual spot in front of a large easel. He was working on a commissioned piece for a new high priced hotel downtown and the colors fairly jumped off the canvas. Brian would have normally stopped behind his husband for a few minutes just to admire the artist's work, but he had other things on his mind at the moment. He bent over and nuzzled Justin's neck where it was tilted as he gazed at his painting. Justin had long since given up being surprised by Brian's silent entry to the studio and him coming up behind for a little affectionate kiss. The man was certainly good at romantic gestures for someone who once swore he didn't do romance. Justin smiled to himself. He swiveled in his chair and the smile faded when he saw the serious look on Brian's face. Justin had plenty of experience in judging Brian's moods and his face indicated that there was a problem. He quickly put his brush down.

"Okay, my darling man. What's up? Something is obviously bothering you."

"Not me, Sunshine. It's Gus. He's downstairs and he's the one that's upset over something. He wanted me to ask you to join us in the den. I don't know Justin. He hasn't looked this unhappy since Linds and Mel's accident."

That caught Justin's attention. Gus wasn't a boy to fret about much of anything. If Gus was upset, it had to be important to him. Justin didn't waste a moment. He nodded to Brian and set about cleaning his brushes as quickly as he could. Brian stood by. He had the feeling he would need Justin beside him when he faced his son again. Justin made short work of putting things in order and was soon ready to head downstairs with Brian. The men hurried down, half dreading whatever Gus had to say. They found their boy pacing back and forth in the den, looking like a caged tiger.

"Gus," Justin called, moving over to stand in front of the restless young man and distract him from his pacing. He gave Gus a quick peck on the cheek. "Your dad tells me you have a problem that you want to talk to us about. We're all ears. You know that we'll help in any way we can. First you need to sit down. You'll wear a hole in the floor if you don't."

Gus looked apologetically at Justin, then moved quickly over to the couch. Brian and Justin took the easy chairs across from him and seated themselves. Now they just needed for the young man to gather himself and explain what was eating at him. Gus screwed up his courage and began his story. He was doing alright, keeping his emotions in, until he got to the part where he discovered that Jason had lied to him deliberately. His face crumpled then.

"We've never lied to each other before...never. It was what I loved the most. You know...the trust. I don't know if I can ever trust him again, and....and I think I hate him for doing that to me," he cried out. "Jason's not just a boyfriend, Dad, he's my best friend. You know what I mean?"

Brian couldn't help looking over at Justin, his best friend for so many years now. He turned back to his stricken son.

"I understand Son. You feel he's betrayed you and it stings like a motherfucker. But Gus, I have to ask you something and it's very important that you be totally truthful...not with me, but with yourself."

Gus looked back at his dad. "Of course I will be."

"Then Gus, I want you to think back to the very beginning of your relationship with Jason...not the friendship, but from when you two first connected. Okay?" Gus nodded. "I want to know, did you two ever talk about what you expected from each other."

Justin chimed in. "In other words Gus, did you ever make promises to each other. Promises of total fidelity...that kind of thing."

Gus looked surprised, but in a blink of an eye he understood where the couple were coming from. He had heard stories of their misadventures as a couple in the beginning years of their relationship. He doubted if he had heard everything, but he knew more than enough. He knew that making and keeping promises to each other was the hallmark of their relationship now, but that it hadn't always been that way. He put on his thinking cap and concentrated. Brian and Justin remained quiet, waiting for Gus to answer. Finally....

"I guess not, now that you put it that way. I mean it was just understood, sort of. We didn't...or at least I didn't think it was necessary. It just never came up. I can't imagine cheating on Jason. I love him...you know. I don't want anyone else in my bed. What right does he have to take advantage of our not talking about being faithful before now? It's no excuse. He could have given me a warning that he wanted someone else too. And how do I know he was safe. Do I need to worry about that if I sleep with him again?"

"If? Are you really willing to give up your relationship with Jason over one mistake in judgment? And from what you've told us, it sounds like Jason didn't choose anything with a rational mind. Let me ask you this, has he shown any interest at all in this Tom guy before?" Brian asked.

"No. Actually he's gone out of his way to discourage the guy when he got all flirty with him."

"Gus, do you think that you are just feeling a little insecure right now...like maybe you're not enough for Jason? Could it be that you are more scared of losing him than angry at him?" added Justin. Justin paused, turned to Brian, then turned back to Gus. "I know that we sometimes make rash decisions when we feel scared and insecure with the one we're with...when we feel it is better to run away than stand and fight for the one we want."

Brian said nothing as his mind quickly traveled back to that horrendous time in his life when Justin didn't trust in their partnership...both times...when he ran away to the Fiddler and when he just stepped out of their partnership altogether. Both times had nearly broken him. He didn't want his son to experience that kind of loss.

"Gus, you are the only one who can decide how badly you want to be with Jason. But Son, you have to be fair. Running from him won't solve a thing. You two have to stop living in the bubble you've placed around yourselves and face some cold hard facts. You are two healthy young men and you have this beautiful thing called a dick between you. It is a nice thing to have, but the fucking thing can also give you a lot of heartache...not to mention headaches...when it becomes ruled by anything other than your heart. Trust me Son, I know whereof I speak. It really doesn't sound like Jason was leading with his heart last night. Talk to him Gus, and be totally honest. And be honest with yourself too. Would your life be better with him out of the picture or not."

"That's how we knew that we belonged together, no matter what Gee," added Justin again. We tried apart...more than once...but we always came back together, because when all was said and done...life was better for both of us as a couple."

Gus absorbed all the men were telling him. It made sense. He was hurt, but maybe it was because he had just presumed that neither one of them would ever slip. Maybe it was unfair to expect so much without having even discussed what they expected from each other. The more he sat there and looked at the two most important men in his life, the more he realized that Jason was also too important to him to throw away. He suddenly stood up. Brian and Justin stood up too. Gus walked to his Dad and hugged him tightly. He then turned and did the same for Justin.

"I love you guys, you know that. Right? I'm going back to the apartment and talk to Jason...man to man. We're going to set up some rules to live by and then we're going to allow for being human. I guess I did get a little full of myself. You know...thinking we had this 'perfect' relationship. I guess nothing is completely perfect in this world."

Gus suddenly gave both men another squeeze followed by a quick peck.

"You two are the best. I'd better get going. Jason's probably worried sick..." He suddenly grinned wickedly. "which he so richly deserves. But I can't make the jerk suffer too long, now can I? I'll talk to you guys later. Gotta go."

Brian stopped Gus before he could run out.

"Gus, don't forget to be safe. It doesn't sound like Jason even knows how far he went with Tom or if a condom was needed or used from what you've told us. He has to be tested and you two have to be safe. Do you understand me?"

"Of course Dad. Always am. Always will be, especially after this. Don't worry. I'll call."

Brian let his son go. The couple heard Gus as he slammed the front door in his haste to get back to his boyfriend. Brian spread his arms wide and Justin walked into them. The men held each other tight, both reflecting back on how close they had once come to losing what they now treasured so deeply.

"I wouldn't be twenty something again if you paid me," Justin remarked solemnly.

"I would, in a heartbeat," laughed Brian. "Especially if I could be fucking a twentysomething Justin at the same time."

Justin grabbed Brian's face. "Ever the romantic," he laughed, kissing Brian passionately. The couple never made it up to their bedroom. The soft rug on the den floor had to serve again as the lovers reaffirmed their special connection. Who knew that being a parent would make one so horny, they thought as Brian pounded into his beautiful Sunshine over and over for the millionth time.

**************************************************

Gus opened the door to his apartment slowly, not really sure that Jason would still be waiting for him. It crossed his mind that he might have made a mistake in leaving without trying to solve their problem. He wasn't sorry he had. His Dad and DJ had been invaluable to him in making him understand what had happened and what he should do about it. As always, they gave advice but left it up to him to make his own decisions. He just prayed he'd make the right one. The more he thought about it on the way home, the more he knew he didn't want a life without Jason.

The apartment was quiet...way too quiet. Gus was about to panic when he heard a noise down the hall. He recognized the sound of the toilet flushing. A minute later, Jason stepped into the hallway. He only had on his boxers and he looked damned good to Gus. When he spotted Gus in the doorway, his face lit up, only to turn into a frown just as quickly. Gus walked over to him.

"I'm sorry I walked out Jase. I just needed some time to think. I talked to Dad and DJ. We have to talk now...if that is what you want too."

"I want Gee. I want more than anything."

Gus wrapped his arms around Jason. It was too soon for kisses, but somehow they knew they'd work it out. They had to. Neither man wanted a life without the other in it. That was their bottom line.

To be continued..........................