- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

JR's heart grows light when she sees the chance to get to know handsome Noah Roberts, but a dark cloud looms over their chance to connect with each other.

The first week of school went by in a heartbeat. By Friday, the girls had settled in to their new routine. College life was not that far removed from their high school days, just more interesting. Now they could pick subjects that truly interested them and they both felt they had really lucked out with their Professors. Even Professor Williams of Beginning Psych had grown on them by the end of the week. His voice still tended to drag on in a slow moving cadence that could put a person to sleep, but the subject matter was proving to be interesting and both girls were now glad they'd signed up for the class.

JR had spotted Noah at least once every day and was surprised every time when he would smile broadly at her. But nothing prepared her for the biggest surprise that came on Friday. She was just stepping out of her third period class when she bumped hard into a tall figure standing outside the door. She had stayed behind to ask the Professor a question and was deep in thought over his answer. She never saw the figure in front of the door. Her books fell to the floor and went skittering across the waxed surface. She let out a loud yelp and raised her head, about to give the careless intruder a piece of her mind. The words died in her throat. She was staring into those familiar grey eyes again.

"I'm so sorry, JR. I didn't see you coming out or I would have moved quicker," Noah declared.

"I..ahh, no...no, I wasn't looking where I was going. I'm sorry," she muttered, as she bent to gather her belongings back up.

Noah was quick on his feet as he bent to retrieve her things before she was forced to do it for herself. JR stood up and stepped back as she watched the lanky young man scooping up books and papers from the floor. Once he had the last one safely tucked in his arms he turned to hand them to JR. She accepted them gratefully, mumbled a thanks, and pushed them down into her book bag. She started to walk away when Noah reached for her elbow. JR stopped in her tracks.

"I feel bad about this JR. It really is all my fault. Would you let me apologize by taking you to lunch?"

JR wasn't sure she'd heard the man correctly. Noah had never shown the slightest interest in spending any one on one time with her before. The accident was as much her fault as his, if not more. She felt very confused. She stared into the handsome boy's face for any sign of teasing. He looked totally serious. Well, she thought, it couldn't hurt anything. After all, it was only lunch.

"Well, I guess that would be alright. It is nearly lunch time anyway."

"Good," Noah declared. "I know just the spot. There is a burger and soda shop just a couple of blocks away. How long till your next class?"

"I have about an hour and a half," she answered.

"More than enough time. My next class is almost two hours from now. Would you like to walk there? I can carry your books...just like in the old days."

JR blushed, despite herself. She slid her book bag off her shoulder and handed it to Noah. The couple fell into step with each other and began the trek to the soda shop. They walked along in relative silence, stealing occasional glances at each other followed by toothy smiles. The walk wasn't long and the early Fall air was bracing. The wind whipped JR's soft hair around her face, making her look somehow cuter than usual. They soon found themselves outside a pink and white stone building with the name The Academic Burgers and Fries emblazoned on the wide front window. It was still a little early for the main lunch crowd so the place was only half full as they stepped into the cool interior.

It was evident that Noah had been here before as he strode purposefully to a nearby table and chairs. The room was filled with a couple of dozen small iron and glass topped circular tables with two or more chairs at each one. There was a long bar to the side with a dozen pink plastic stools. A young waitress with a tidy pink apron came out from around the bar with pad in hand. She smiled at Noah in a familiar way, cementing the belief that he was a frequent customer. He ordered a mushroom and Swiss cheese burger with grilled onions and fries on the side and added a chocolate malted to his order. When the waitress turned to JR with a slightly less effusive smile, she quickly indicated she'd have the same.

The food came very quickly, but was piping hot and delicious. The couple chowed down and spoke little as they enjoyed their meal. It wasn't long before JR felt stuffed. The food had been as good as Noah had promised and, although they hadn't spoken much while eating, the company was very enjoyable. They were both down to sipping the last of their malteds when JR decided to open the conversation.

"I get the feeling you've been here before," JR stated obviously.

"It's my favorite lunch time spot. Been going here for a couple of years now. But I'd kind of like to talk about you more than the Academic," he answered her boldly.

JR decided she'd be just as bold. "Okay, but I'm a bit surprised."

"Why's that?" he asked.

"Well, cause I've known you for months now and you've never shown any real interest in getting to know me better before."

"I know..."he said, "....and for that I'm really sorry. I wanted to get to know you better for some time...well actually from the first day I met you...but I was given some wrong information about you and I let it color my attitude. I really owe you an apology for that."

JR was puzzled. What could he be talking about. Only one way to find out, she decided.

"What wrong information are you referring to and by whom?"

"By your friend Rachel. I asked her about you the next time I saw her in church after Trudy's wedding and she told me about your family. I completely misunderstood her. I should have gotten all the facts before jumping to conclusions."

JR's guard went up. "What facts about my family are you talking about Noah."

"Well, she told me about your brother and then said you lived with your two dads. I didn't find out until after you stopped coming to church that he isn't really your blood brother and that they are your adoptive parents after your real mother died in an accident in Canada. I also got the wrong impression when she told me how close you are to the sister of your brother's boyfriend. She said you two were extremely close and did everything together. I know I shouldn't have made presumptions and....."

JR got her voice back. "Wait a minute!" she almost shouted. Let me get this straight, if you'll pardon the pun," she started with a bitter edge to her tone. "You're telling me that you found me interesting from the beginning, but because of some stupid comments by my so-called friend you decided you were too good to pursue your interests any further. AND..." she spoke over him when he tried to interrupt. "and, the reason for your hesitancy was because I have a gay brother and live in a house headed by a gay couple. And the only reason you'll talk to me now is that you found out my real parent is a straight woman. Have I got that right?" She paused for a split second to take a deep breath, then plunged on.

"Well, Mr. Roberts, why don't I just set you completely straight on all the facts? First of all, my Mom is...was not straight. She was married to my brother's mom and that most definitely makes him my 'real' brother. Secondly Gus, my brother, and his boyfriend Jason are more than just a couple. They are lovers who love each other deeply, and yes I love Jason's sister but only as my best friend. But if I loved her more than that I'd be proud of it and wouldn't think twice about the likes of you. Lastly, my two dads, Brian and Justin, have been together longer than most straight couples could hope for and they still love each other as much as they did the first time they went to bed together and even more. And I'm extremely proud of them all. They are more man than you will ever be. So thanks for the nice lunch and don't worry about learning any more about me. I'm sure you'll be able to find fault with anything you learn anyway. Good day Mr. Roberts."

With that, JR grabbed up her book bag from the side of her chair, slung it over her shoulder, and marched angrily to the door. She never looked back to see the stunned expression on Noah's face, not that she would have cared at that moment. How dare he judge her family like that. Now she knew that her infatuation was over for the young grey eyed Preacher's son. Over and done with.

**********************************************************

Noah lay in his bed and continued to mentally kick himself over and over. What a stupid jerk he'd been. He would have called himself much worse but that childhood conviction that his father could read his thoughts prevented him from doing so. Noah had felt so attracted to JR...so much so it scared him a little. He hadn't been able to get the girl out of his mind from the minute he saw her at the hotel but had no idea who she was. Being a practical young man, he figured it just wasn't meant to be. If the good Lord had wanted him to know her He would have seen to it they met again. Then sure enough, a couple weeks later they did meet again at the church during Trudy's wedding.

Noah had decided it was a sign. He also knew that JR was a stranger and he knew nothing about her. He had to find out some facts. He knew his father well enough to know that he would never condone his youngest son going with a girl that he knew nothing about. Noah was about to turn twenty but he still felt the pressure to be the perfect son, even more so since that awful day four years ago. He could still remember the pain that ran through his family on that day and Noah would rather die than cause his father any more pain like that.

After talking to JR's high school friend, Rachel, Noah felt devastated. Rachel had revealed enough info on JR to make a relationship with the lovely girl an impossibility. It wasn't that he cared about her background...not even a little...but he knew his father. Dad would disown him in a heartbeat if he brought that kind of family into the fold. She wasn't even a member of the church. He had heard that Trudy was in the family way when his dad married the couple, but he knew the Reverend would have refused to perform the service if he had known too. Noah was well aware that his father was a bit hard nosed about things, but he loved the man. The Reverend was his father, after all, and the Bible demanded that you honor your father.

Once in a rare while Noah longed to break free of his father's strict restraints and he lay there thinking that this was one of those times, but two decades of intense indoctrination was not that easy to throw off. His brothers had escaped which made Noah feel even more dutiful. He didn't want to disappoint his dad like the others had. Oh yes, Jacob the eldest did become a Preacher like their father but that was where the similarities ended. Jacob had a much more liberal view of the world than their dad and the two butted heads on religious views countless times. Jacob had served as their father's assistant pastor the first year out of the Seminary but everyone breathed a sigh of relief when Jacob was assigned a church of his own in Rhode Island. That was nearly ten years ago. His thirty two year old brother had still been a welcome visitor, especially when he married and gave their parents grandchildren, but those visits ended four years ago. Noah only saw Jacob and his family twice since then and only by taking a vacation to Rhode Island by himself.

Thinking about that last time that Jacob had visited Pittsburgh still brought a stab of pain to Noah's heart. He had been hiding in the stairwell of their old house that was right next door to the massive church itself. He could hear Jacob and Matthew raising their voices at the Reverend. Noah could see the veins bulging on his father's neck when he dared to take a peek. His father's face was beet red from the fury that nearly blinded him. He raised his hand at his middle son as if to strike him but only stopped when Jacob stepped between them. Noah could hear Jacob clearly.

"If you strike him, Father, then be prepared to strike me too." There was a clear warning in his voice. Reverend John lowered his arm.

"I don't need to strike him down," he gritted through his teeth. "The Lord will smite him when the time comes. You know that you are bound for Hell, don't you Matthew? Nothing can save you unless you repent. And I do not want to ever see your face again in this house until the day that you can take that step. Confess your sin to your Maker and beg his forgiveness. And then we will never speak of it again."

Tears had sprung to young Noah's eyes. He worshiped his older brothers and couldn't understand what a really good guy like Matthew could have done that was so terrible their father would disown him. He didn't have to wait long to find out. His brother moved Jacob out of the way and faced his father again.

"Dad, you know I love you. I always have and I always will, but I love Carl too. I can't help who I fell in love with. We're happy together. I don't believe it makes me evil and condemned to Hell and neither does Jacob. I hope I'll see you again, but if not then that's the way it will have to be. I won't turn on my love for you or anybody."

With that, Matthew gathered up his suitcase that was standing near the door as if it knew what was going to happen and walked out the door. Jacob turned to their father and then looked at their mother who sat silent and weeping on the couch. A look of disgust mixed with pity passed his face as he turned to follow his younger brother. As he did he caught sight of Noah before the boy could run away. Their eyes locked and Jacob gave his baby brother an even deeper look of pity. He sighed heavily and mouthed...'I love you kid'...then went to join Matthew. Noah never saw either of his brothers in the house again, and he walked on eggshells from that day on.

Now as he lay in his lonely bed he wondered why he had to give up his dreams to please his father. What had his father ever given up for his family? The more that Noah had been learning in school the more he had caught himself questioning his father's unbending principles. Was Jacob and Matthew right when they told him that he would never be able to please their father no matter how perfect he tried to be? Noah finally felt sleep beginning to overtake him and he slipped into uncomfortable nightmares of demons and damnation. The questions slipped to the back of his mind as they always did when the effort to think for himself became too scary. This was one night that a certain pretty young lady's face wouldn't be haunting his dreams as had been happening so often lately.

To be continued.........................