- Text Size +

BRIAN

 

I got up, leaving Justin to nap and willing to kick anyone’s ass who was on the other side of the door as I jerked it open. Gus stood there, staring in awe at the woman smiling down at him, and I agreed she was someone even I would look at, just because beauty deserved to be recognized.

 

“Um, even if you have the wrong house, you can come in.” Gus told her, doing pretty good at working his charm.

 

She looked at me and then down at Gus before saying anything. “You are going to be a killer when your older, but then apparently my best friend saw the potential when he let your dad knock him up,” She told him. 

 

“Daphne. Nice to finally meet you. Justin seemed to think we’d drive him nuts if we met,” I told her.

 

“No, he just hates to admit that anyone else could be right. So Gus, you want to give me the tour or leave it to my future father-in-law?” She asked with a straight face, while Gus blushed.

 

“Dad, I just remembered I'm supposed to do something,” Gus told me, running up the stairs, blushing away and relieving me that he had a way to go yet.

 

“I knew someone had finally stopped Justin from playing with them and leaving them before they got any ideas. And, seeing you, I can agree,” She commented, smiling.

 

“What made you think something changed?” I asked.

 

“He was no longer telling me the good stuff, just made excuses about being too busy to play,” She told me, looking around. “Where is he?” 

 

“Sleeping. Today wasn’t a banner day,” I explained.

 

“Did Molly show up again, demanding that Justin obey her?” She asked, looking ready to deal with anything that upset Justin. Justin was once again correct, Daphne and I would get along just fine.

 

“He’s finally seeing her without the blinders. Although, what she and her dad are up to, he couldn’t ignore,” I told her.

 

“They just can’t leave him alone. Craig, for all his disowning, can’t seem to get that Justin’s defection of Camp Taylor, meant Camp Craig too.” She told me.

 

“Unfortunately, they involved the press this time,” I told her, handing her the article when we got to the living room.

 

“Are you kidding me, bringing up that he had sex once with me? That’s her proof that Justin would willingly knock up a chick?” She remarked.

 

“Ask most gay men and at least half will tell you they managed it. In my case, drugs, alcohol, and pretending there was too much lube worked. I even got her pregnant when she wanted a baby. Only without the first two, so the last one left us going to the clinic to do it.” I joked.

 

“Justin was actually pretty good. But then, at seventeen the wind blowing would have worked to keep him hard,” She laughed.

 

“We really haven’t had a day of peace since he got here. Now that. Call me overprotective, but he doesn’t need all this shit,” I told her.

 

“Wow, you actually love him don’t you?” She asked, happy about it.

 

“I never really believed I would love anyone, but he knocked me on my ass. He stood toe to toe with me, not backing down from anything. I tried to convince myself it would eventually burn out, but it never did with him. When he told me about the baby, I knew denying my feelings wasn’t going to change it for me,” I told her.

 

“How are you dealing with his lack of organization?” She asked.

 

“Hoping he’ll really hire someone before I can’t stop from cleaning up after him,” I told her.

 

“Which only works until he wakes up to disorganize it again,” She said, obviously having experienced it for herself.

 

“There’s also dealing with friends. He’s doing better than I am,” I told her.

 

“What is Ben doing?” She asked.

 

“Acting like his husband used to when it came to me. We’re still not on the same page, but he’s backing off now that I explained to him that his helpful conversations about me to Justin should only be returned by me to Mikey,” I told her.

 

“Yeah, I never got why Ben still acted like Justin needed him as an advisor in his life. There were times when I knew Ben wasn’t thrilled about my opinions and that he needed to get a life,” Daphne told me.

 

“I understand he and I having problems when it came to Mikey at first, but he got what he wanted from Mikey. I even helped by not jumping in when it was Ben’s job. Apparently that earned no points for me. Just him making sure Justin doubted us,” I told her.

 

“Is he still giving you problem?” She asked.

 

“I just let him know the difference between a friendship and a relationship when he thought we should make Justin talk after he walked out, pissed about the article, his mother telling him his father tried to regain control of Justin, and what it would do to my son,” I told her.

 

“And you. Justin wouldn’t want his life to affect yours either,” She told me, as Justin walks up, beaming behind her.

 

“He knows now that it doesn’t matter to me as long as we stay together,” I reminded him, as I told Daphne.

 

“I know you’re behind me. It wasn’t like I didn’t see the change in Brian the minute you walked up, probably wanted to scare the shit out of me,” Daphne told Justin, as he slid over the back of the couch and laid his head in her lap.

 

“Stop ogling him. I’m still dealing with you not worshiping at my feet after the spectacular sex neither of us had years ago. That’s what inspired me to once again give it the old college try and be a straight WASP my daddy could be proud of, while denying I screwed someone beneath our standing, and likely barely legal at the time,” Justin tells her, sighing as if disappointed in himself. “Did I mention Gus would be blamed, since this one's a bit too early to take one for Camp Kinney-Taylor,” Giggling with Daphne by the end of his speech.

 

Watching the two of them, I was seeing the difference in the way Justin conducted his friendships. With Daphne, he enjoyed her; while with Ben, it was really like the advisor role switched places depending on the day.

 

“When are you going to make them sorry they tried this on you?” Daphne asked him.

 

“It never does any good until there’s solid proof. But I’m not going to let them change why I came here, which is to try… I mean succeed, at creating a family with Brian,” Justin informed her.

 

“The minute you moved here, that was a given. I really don’t like that Molly thought using me wouldn’t have me coming down on her head,” Daphne told him.

 

“Yeah. Will it help that I let the designers Molly wanted to show off, saying she worked for all, agreed to cut not only her, but my dad, and babymama Paula, out of the fashion scene?” Justin asked. Like anyone could get major houses to give them anything they wanted.

 

“What did you promise them?” I asked him.

 

“To invite them to our wedding. Which they were really happy about when I told them they could finally dress Brian,” Justin tells Daphne, while I really don’t see why we need to wait.

 

“Justin Taylor! Number one, why wasn’t I told you planned to marry my future father-in-law? Number two, showing off your man just to make them salivate, good job. Number three, I better be getting a new wardrobe too,” She commented him, kissing him.

 

“You saw Gus? Yeah, if he wants you when you're old, go for it. Really, you wouldn’t exploit him for goodies? Please, like they don’t already know they make you happy to keep me happy,” Justin told her.

 

“I’ll admit, after the bullshit earlier, I’m okay with the way Justin used me,” I tell them, getting them both to laugh.

 

“Shit, we have to help Emmett too,” Justin told her, yet I’m just hearing it.

 

“What does Emmett need help with?” I asked him.

 

“Drew,” Justin said.

 

“You don’t have to help Deb just because she asks,” I told him, since Deb apparently pulled Justin into the fold.

 

“I’m doing it because when Deb talked about it, I remembered what you said, and I agree with you. I know you think everyone should work for what they want, but a helpful shove never hurts either. It’s not like I can force them if they don’t want it, but maybe give them a way to meet halfway and see if things are different,” Justin told me.

 

“With everything going on, why are you adding more to it?” I asked him.

 

“Helping Emmett makes me happy, because I know it makes you happy,” Justin told me.

 

“What do you need me to do to help you?” I asked him, on board for anything Justin wants.

 

“I love matchmaking, so count me in. Also, anything you need for me to do about the other thing, not a problem,” She told us.

 

“I’ll help too,” Gus told her, coming around the couch only to get grabbed by Justin and moved until he and Justin are both laying on Daphne’s lap.

 

“Son, just so you know, they’ll use you to get designer.” I joked, while Gus nods showing he understands fashion.

 

I raised my phone. I wanted to capture the moment that I realized this family was more than just us working on it. It was there in the way Justin and Gus smiled at each other.