- Text Size +

DAPHNE

 

While I get Justin’s plan, Craig and Molly involved my name in this, not that they put it in the article. The implication was enough for me. It was time little Miss Molly and I understood each other. I texted her to meet me, knowing she wouldn’t be able to resist a chance to fuck with me. At one time she was like the little sister I never had, but that ended when Justin and I started to do things without her. Justin still went out of his way for Molly, but eventually he wanted to do things that didn’t always include her. And I became public enemy number one.

 

She walked into the coffee shop, smirking at the guys who starred as she graced them with her presence. She spotted me, and took her time ordering, once again making sure to show that to her, I wasn’t important.

 

“You know, it’s really pathetic that you haven’t figured out that Justin isn’t going to love you. It’s time for you to find a life, one where my gay brother doesn’t have two point five kids and a dog with you,” Molly smiles her fake smile and pretends sympathy for my poor deluded soul.

 

“Sweetie, while I know you need help since no one wants to keep you in their life, mine is doing just fine. In fact, your GAY brother and I couldn’t be closer, and I couldn’t be happier he’s found Brian, who sees you for the window dressing you are. Which isn’t why I asked you to meet me,” I told her, watching the smirk fade at the mention of Brian’s name.

 

“Aren’t you worried that Brian’s taking your place?” She asked, just not willing to give up.

 

“Not at all, since Brian has a place in Justin’s life that I never wanted. Which, if that’s what caused you to join forces with Craig, we might need to talk about some serious therapy for you,” I told her, sweetly.

 

“I’m only protecting my friend. She doesn’t deserve to be thrown aside for Justin’s newest trick,” Molly told me.

 

“Your friend. Well, you and Daddy Dearest are going to look like the stupid asses you are when the truth comes out,” I told her.

 

“Does it upset you that Justin knocked up my friend and not you?” Molly sneered, with pity.

 

“No. What upsets me is that somehow all the brains and looks went to Justin. DNA is a sticky situation, and trust me, proof isn’t just because Craig decided it was,” I told her.

 

“My father is just trying to do right by Paula, since my brother won’t,” Molly said, sticking to the story.

 

“Daphne, sorry to be late,” Lawrence said, sitting down. “Hello, I’m Brian and Justin’s new lawyer, and you must be Molly Taylor. I have something for you,” Molly frowned when he handed her the paperwork. “Brian thought this might be hard for you to read and understand, so I can summarize it for you. After Paula Blair is ordered to take the DNA test, and it’s proven that Craig Taylor, not Justin Taylor, is the father, the papers we’re allowing you to have to show your lawyer will be filed, and a suit for defamation of character will be filed against both you and your father. Justin’s reputation is important to his career. The article the three of you chose participate in could have an adverse- bad, in case you didn’t know the meaning of that word, affect on his character in the business world,” Lawrence told her.

 

“Then he should think before he sticks his dick in someone,” She snapped.

 

“I’ll let him know your opinion. Also, I was to deliver this news to you personally. The fashion houses felt it necessary to terminate your and Paula’s contracts with them, considering it unwise to be linked to either of you. They’re more worried about employing someone who could slander someone’s character, and really don’t mind who Justin chooses to ‘stick his dick into’, to use your description. What matters is that Justin is more important to them than you,” Lawrence told her, making me want to kiss him for managing to shut her the hell up.

 

 

BRIAN

 

The reporters didn’t leave us alone when we went anywhere. At that point I knew we needed to get advice from a lawyer. Justin didn’t get upset when I hired Lawrence, he understood that eventually we’d need a lawyer. What upset him was Lawrence telling him to stay away from the three running their mouths into a lawsuit. He really didn’t want to sue over this, just make it go away. Marshall was the one who made Justin understand it wasn’t that simple. 

 

“Justin, the minute that story ran, people read it and likely talked about it. Even if they never hear about it again, they’ll only remember where you come off sounding like a callous bastard who denied your child. You plan to live in Pittsburgh, and whether you like it or not, people’s opinions will matter. They shouldn’t, but it’s the way of the world, and some of those people do business with Brian. Trust me, eventually there will be articles about your background, which will look as if you really are what they are reading. Which means you have to prove your innocence in a way that the truth comes completely out,” Marshall told him.

 

“I hate this,” Justin told him.

 

“You have to remember, Molly willingly did this to hurt you,” I reminded him.

 

“I do get that. It’s more hating the idea that my private life can’t be just that- private. I don’t want my life splashed across a page,” He told me.

 

“Which your father and sister did, not caring how you feel,” Lawrence told him.

 

Justin agreed, only to ask Lawrence to make sure Molly, Paula, and Craig were told the consequences of what they did. Lawrence read the letters from the fashion houses and told Justin he’d see they got it.

 

Marshall and Vivian called when they got here, and Justin arranged for them to stay in a hotel close by. I asked Justin why he didn’t invite them to stay with us. He looked at me like it should be obvious.

 

“Hello. While I’m sure they know we had sex, I really don’t want it pretty much verified.” Justin told me.

 

“We live together and you’re pregnant, it’s verified.” I told him.

 

“Let’s just say, if you want sex while they’re here, they stay in a hotel. Plus, I’m still not big on my mom, so this way they can deal with her without having to deal with me dealing with her,” Justin informed me. And, being the supportive, and horny fiance, I agreed.

 

We’d been waiting around for them to get here and so when the knock at the door happened, I didn’t think twice about opening. The flash was blinding, and it took a second for me to see the woman standing at the door.

 

“I want to speak to Justin,” The woman demanded.

 

“Paula, is it true you were blacklisted from the modeling world?” A reporter threw out.

 

“Mr Kinney, what do you think about the fact that you’re living with the father of Paula’s baby?” Came next.

 

“You tell him if he doesn’t clear this up, I’ll make sure his mother can’t show her face in town,” Paula tells me, shoving the notice from her agency canceling her contract into my chest.

 

“You do that. Since she really doesn’t care about anything but making sure Craig can’t support the bun in your oven. When she’s through, you’ll be lucky to get a job in retail after the press behind you finds out the truth. But then, I’m going to enjoy when the press behind you turns on you, for agreeing to this,” I whisper to her, shutting the door.

 

“Who was at the door?” Justin asked, when I walk back into the living room. “Never mind.” Justin said, when a flash went off at the window.

 

“Paula showed up,” I told him. Which only had him smiling as he ran out of the room.

 

Justin opened the front door as Paula stood talking to the press.

 

“Hey Paula, how old were you again when you slept with my father? I figured it could be a story to tell the baby, ‘How Daddy knocked me up at seventeen’,” Justin shouted, before slamming the door. “What? I didn’t get to see Molly’s reaction, and I did not go near Paula. I figured she could deal with what fucking with our world would be like,” He tells me, looking out the window at the side of the door as Paula ran to her car.

 

“I fucking love you,” I told him.

 

“I love not only fucking you, but you, too. Look at them, running to print that,” Justin crowed.

 

EMMETT

 

I thought long and hard about this, and decided to at least see him. I spent the last few years convincing myself that what I felt when I saw him wasn’t there anymore. I went on with my life, dated, or at least tried. Only finding something wrong with each person; they weren’t tall enough, they talked too much, and the worst was, they wanted me too much. I took the cowards way out and texted the last number I had for him. He didn’t answer for a day or two, then texted the hotel we used to go to so no one would find out about us. 

 

I got there early, just needing time to think. My stomach was in knots, making me wonder how I could still be nervous about seeing him. There was always a part of me that regretted ending things, but when a year went by, I stopped waiting for a phone call. Year two and I stopped watching anything where Drew would be mentioned. Yet I never erased his number, or the hope that one day it would be the one I saw when the phone rang. 

 

The door opened and Drew came in, leaving it open as if he didn’t care if anyone saw us together. 

 

“How have you been?” I asked, when I couldn’t think of anything funny, or really anything, to say.

 

“Good, and you?” Drew asked, always a man of few words.

 

“You know, the usual,” I told him, thinking something about this room always made things awkward between us.

 

“Why did you call?” He asked, when neither of us said anything.

 

“I guess I wanted to see if we could be friends,” I told him.

 

“No, we can’t,” He responded.

 

“Sorry to bother you then,” I told him, getting up and walking past him to the door. Thinking it’s better to not know.

 

“You can’t help that you bother me. Just knowing you're out there, bothers me. Knowing that one day someone might be able to love you the way you deserve, bothers me. Knowing that you got over me, bothers me,” Drew told me.

 

“A lot about me bothers you,” I responded, walking towards him.

 

“The minute I saw you, you bothered me,” Drew said, pulling me to him and showing me I’m an idiot when he kissed me like I was his home.

 

“Being without you bothered me,” I told him, seizing the day.