- Text Size +

JUSTIN

 

Brian let Nicholas in while I prepared myself to meet him. Which didn’t make sense since I have met him before, but not as my brother… half brother. Nicholas came in behind Brian, and was just as hesitant as I was to say anything. Brian got up and brought back juice for me and coffee for him and Nicholas. Somehow my scowl at Brian had Nicholas laughing.

 

“I remember being warned by a couple of colleagues not to be on the other side of Justin’s scowl,” Nicholas told us.

 

“The Anal Avenger over here only heard coffee wasn’t recommended, so nothing but juice and milk ever gets near me,” I told him, kissing Brian because he loved the baby as much as he did.

 

“I’m sure he’s just concerned about both of you,” Nicholas told me.

 

“When did you find out?” I asked, wanting to get to why he was here.

 

“My mother told me when Chris was born, but I didn’t know about Craig until after I graduated. I didn’t realize the way Samuel treated me wasn’t normal for him. When Chris was born my mother explained since I was seeing a totally different father when it came to Chris,” Nicholas told me, not wanting or asking for any sympathy.

 

“He still put you as head the company, even knowing the truth. Why?” Brian asked.

 

“I’m good at what I do. Even as much as Samuel hates me for not being his, he doesn’t hate the money I make for his company. I know he started the ‘ground up’ idea hoping I’d fail and Chris would succeed. But he forgot that unlike Chris, he pushed me harder and made me understand I should appreciate everything he allowed me to have by not denouncing me in front of everyone,” He told us.

 

“I can’t figure out how he could throw support around my father,” I told him.

 

“Because my mother never told him who my father was; just that she was paying him back for all his indiscretions. And he never asked, probably hoping it was one of the tennis pros. Chris only found out because he overheard my mother and Craig argue about telling me, then kept it to himself all these years,” Nicholas told us.

 

“Why say something now?” I asked.

 

“He wants what he thinks is his birthright. He showed up to dinner, expecting Samuel to let him start at the top, after complaining about having to work if he expected to keep his job at Taylor Electronics. Samuel might not like what you did to Craig, but he also knows a company isn’t something to play with if you want it to survive. Chris didn’t like being told he wasn’t the perfect son Samuel made him believe he was, then my mother added that it was time for Chris to grow up and do what I did and earn his way to the top. At that point, I think he mouthed off because he was pissed at her for comparing him to me. He told Samuel maybe Craig should have been his father too, since the son he put in charge wasn’t a Hobbs but a Taylor. When I didn’t look surprised and my mother didn’t deny it, Samuel left. From what I heard he beat the shit out of Craig for daring to ask him for help after screwing his wife. Then he showed up at my apartment and ordered me to keep my mouth shut about it. He also told me if I wanted to keep my position, I wasn’t to associate with any Taylor,” He told us.

 

“Craig hasn’t come to you?” Brian asked.

 

“I made it clear when I found out he was my biological father that I wanted nothing to do with him. He’s a leech who married up when his connections weren’t high enough. I honestly didn’t want to like you when we met, because from everything I saw you were becoming just as bad as he was. It wasn’t until other colleagues started talking about you that I bothered to look past the things people were saying and find out that you were working your ass off, not partying your way across the globe. It made me laugh when your father complained about how you wasted your life when you were out there making a name for yourself in business. One that Craig couldn’t even begin to compete with,” Nicholas answered.

 

“You weren’t exactly sitting back and hiding behind the Hobbs name,” I commented.

 

“I knew eventually I would have to walk away from it. I didn’t go into the business thinking it was my legacy. Samuel wasn’t going to allow it. I wanted to learn enough to venture out on my own and make my own legacy,” He told me.

 

“What’s stopping you?” Brian asked him.

 

“I wanted to make sure my mother wouldn’t end up the loser when this all came out. I’ve seen what they did to Justin’s mother. I couldn’t let that happen to the only person who loved and supported me. She hasn’t always made the best decisions when it came to her life, but one thing she always did was make sure I knew she was there for me. I don’t need the Hobbs name anymore. Which is something that chaps the old man’s ass. It’s why he doesn’t want this to get out, because he knows when it comes down to it, the clients trust me to make sure they aren’t being cheated; something that in the past they had problems with when it came to Samuel,” He informed us.

 

“I don’t think anyone will believe Chris if you and Samuel deny it,” I said, smiling when the baby tried to kick a field goal.

 

“When are you due?” Nicholas asked, almost looking jealous.

 

“A few more months,” I told him.

 

“Do you know what your having?” He asked us.

 

“No. We want it to be a surprise. We already have Gus, my son with a friend. I actually hope Justin has a girl,” Brian told him.

 

“Why haven’t you gotten married or had any kids?” I asked.

 

“I didn’t want to do anything until my life was settled, and I haven’t found anyone who makes me feel the way you do about Brian,” He told me.

 

“Sometimes you don’t have a choice, love just bites you in the ass,” I joked.

 

“Only once, and you were being very bad that day,” Brian told me, smirking.

 

“It doesn’t bother you? Us?” I asked him.

 

“I’m jealous of what you two have, but since I’m bi, no, it doesn’t bother me,” He told us.

 

“Can I please tell Craig? He’ll shit a brick over having two sons that like dick,” I joked.

 

“I don’t want you near that asshole,” Brian growled at me.

 

“I second that. Nothing about Craig Taylor deserves any of our time,” Nicholas told me.

 

“What about Molly Taylor?” I asked.

 

“I can’t say I’m a fan. She rubs me the wrong way. Probably the same way Chris does for you,” Nicholas told me.

 

“She can be selfish and self-centered. She’s trying, but I didn’t help by excusing her behavior,” I told him.

 

“In the end she’s responsible for how she treats people,” Brian reminded me.

 

“I’ll promise to try to keep an open mind about her, but that’s all I can do for now,” Nicholas told me.

 

“What do you want from me?” I asked.

 

“I want to see if we can try to get to know each other outside business. I don’t expect you to welcome me with open arms, just let me get to know you. I’ve never had anyone I could be proud to call my brother,” He told me.

 

“If we do this, you won’t be able to keep it quiet like Samuel wants you to,” I told him.

 

“I never did anything he wanted me to before, so why start now,” Nicholas told us.

 

“Well, be prepared, because you have to pass the test first. Dinner at Debs,” I teased.

 

 

BRIAN

 

Justin and I laid in bed after Nicholas left. I let him have his thoughts on the night. I like the guy, he didn’t try to get to Justin with sympathy or assume they'd be close because they shared a father; one neither of them liked. He was willing to work and see if he and Justin could have a relationship.

 

“You like him don’t you?” Justin asked.

 

“Only because he didn’t show up expecting anything from you, other than to get to know you. From what it sounds like he didn’t have an easy life, but he also didn’t let that rule his life. He reminds me a lot of you,” I told him.

 

“I still don’t know how I feel about the whole thing,” He said, yawning.

 

“Is it that he doesn’t seem ready to accept Molly?” I asked.

 

“No, since I’m still having issues with her. She’s trying, but I can’t just forgive her for making our life as crazy as it was by helping Craig. I want to because I love her, but it’s still there. I know this is going to throw her, especially when Nicholas isn’t ready to welcome her with open arms,” He told me.

 

“He had proof you weren’t the person everyone believed you were, and judged you fairly by it. I’m sure there isn’t much that tells him your sister isn’t the same spoiled child she’s been in the past. Hopefully she figures out she’s going to have to convince him. The same way she needs to convince you that she’s trying to change.” I told him.

 

“You want a daughter?” Justin asked, changing the subject.

 

“Boy or girl, it doesn’t matter. But I like the idea of a princess in our lives,” I told him, smiling when he was sound asleep.