- Text Size +

GUS

 

Al was napping after Brandon accelerated his therapy since his cast was taken off. It wasn’t done for any reason but that Al wanted it. Brandon didn’t seem worried, so I just kept my mouth shut even when Al started turning grey but insisted he was fine. Plus, I wanted a chance to talk to Dee about Hunter. Jus called and told me about their conversation, saying not to let Hunter undermine a relationship before it was one. Only, I could understand why Hunter felt the way he did. I didn’t like it, but people sometimes didn’t care that Hunter was pretty great. They just heard he was positive and didn’t look past it. With the family, we honestly forget, because all we see is Hunter.

 

I wish I could say how Dee would feel about it. She's pretty level headed and has never given me a reason to think she'd turn away from anyone for any reason. I found her reading a book on the beach and figured it was a good time to talk, since Luke had gone to pick them up.

 

“So did you find out anything?” Dee asked, not looking away from her book.

 

“He's interested, but wanted me to explain why you might not be.” I tell her.

 

“Does he have like a third eye or something?” She jokes.

 

“Not that I know of. It's just… it's hard for me to say it, because I don't want you to feel like I'll judge you for how you might feel about it.” I tell her, wondering if it's this hard for me, what it must be like for him.

 

“Is he sick?” She asks, concerned.

 

“He's as healthy as he can be, but HIV is part of his life. Which for him means it's something that would affect the person he's with.” I tell her. 

 

“Is that why he's still single?” She asks.

 

“I think it’s more that he had things he wanted to achieve and relationships weren’t convenient at the time. He never really seemed interested in anyone, so it could be just that. Only he told me to tell you about the HIV before he got here so you’d be informed and I guess not waste your time if it bothers you. Although, I think he’s wrong because anyone would be lucky to have my brother love them.” I tell her.

 

“Can I ask a question?” She asks.

 

“I’ll answer if I can.” I tell her.

 

“How are you two related?” She asks, which threw me since I expected the ‘how did he get it’ question.

 

“We really aren’t, but when his adoptive Dad died my Dads took Hunter into our family along with my sister, Jenny. I don’t know, we just all see each other as siblings, not caring how it came about.” I tell her.

 

“I just wondered since you guys don’t share a last name.” She tells me.

 

“Hunter actually changed his last name back to Montgomery after some things that happened a few years ago. He kept the name Bruckner but doesn’t use it.” I tell her.

 

“He’s worried that I’d be turned off by his HIV status?” She asks.

 

“I think we’d all understand if it was more than you wanted to deal with.” I tell her.

 

“It would change the way I see things in my future. I want children, but then like you said, it wouldn’t matter how it happened, just that it did. Of course, it might be a bit soon to be worried about it, since I don’t know him that well yet. I can’t say it doesn’t bother me, but it’s just for him and what he has to deal with.” She tells me.

 

“But could you see yourself serious about Hunter, because I doubt he’ll ever want a casual relationship?” I ask her.

 

“Neither do I. I know I was joking around earlier, but for me sex is only something I want when I’m in a relationship. It’s not like HIV is the total of who he is.” She tells me.

 

“It never was, because he’s probably one of the best people in my life.” I tell her.

 

“I look forward to getting to know him, and maybe more.” She tells me.

 

I looked behind her and saw Hunter standing there listening to us. He tilted his head for me to get out of his way, which I did. I went into the kitchen and watched them out the window, beaming as Hunter and Dee got up and she hooked her arm into his as they walked towards the beach. 

 

“What’s so interesting out there?” Brandon asks.

 

“My brother might be hooking up with a good friend of mine. How’s Al doing?” I ask him, turning away.

 

“Likely ready to kick my ass after our session.” Brandon tells me, going to get a drink.

 

“He’s never been good at waiting for what he wants.” I tell him, smiling at all the things Al and I waited for.

 

“Or getting what he wants.” Brandon tells me.

 

“It was mutual for both of us. The minute I saw him, I saw my future. Can I ask you a question?” I ask.

 

“Sure. Although I reserve the right to not answer.” Brandon tells me.

 

“Fair enough. Why do you go out of your way to piss off my Dads?” I ask.

 

“Truthfully I didn’t mean to, but after I did, your Dad pretty much hates my guts.” Brandon tells me.

 

“How did you piss off my Dad?” I ask.

 

“I was new and didn’t know when I hit on Justin who he was exactly. Your dad was up in his office while Justin danced with a few guys. Like I said I was new, so I didn’t realize the guys were really just keeping everyone away from Justin. Your dad is over the top about Justin.” Brandon tells me.

 

“They’re both like that about each other, Al and I are the same way.” I tell him.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind if you guys were interested, but I don’t poach, even if everyone thinks I do.” Brandon tells me.

 

“Who’s everyone?” Luke asks.

 

“Most of Liberty Avenue seemed to judge me to be the next Brian Kinney. While I like the idea I could get anyone, it makes having a relationship almost impossible.” Brandon tells us.

 

“You trick enough, even I can’t compete with you.” Luke tells him.

 

“Guys think it’s all I want.” Brandon tells us.

 

“People thought I’d be like my Dad, but in the end they were right and wrong. Right in that when I fell in love, for me it meant forever, and working though everything to stay together. Wrong in that I didn’t have the same life he had so I didn’t trick to be close to people.” I tell Brandon.

 

“I’m working on that.” Luke tells me.

 

“Just make sure Tom isn’t a casualty of it, because I care about him the same way I do you.” I tell him.

 

“It’s nice you know, having people in your life that give a shit.” Brandon tells us.

 

“Don’t fuck up with us and you can have that.” I tell him.

 

HUNTER

 

Dee and I walked in as Gus said to Brandon not to fuck up. I looked at my brother who smiled at me to let me know everything was fine. I smiled back, to let him know so far Dee seemed to still be interested in getting to know me.

 

“I’m just here because Al needed to get therapy.” Brandon says, as if he didn’t get why Gus would be willing to have him in the little group Gus was building.

 

“Yes, but it sounds like you could use better friends. My friends didn’t let anything change how they see me. I could fuck the world, but they’d still see me as Luke, not some reputation.” Luke tells him.

 

“Gus only sees me, his brother. Not my HIV.” I tell him.

 

“I never saw anybody but my study buddy when I met Gus, and when he told us who his family was, it still didn’t change the Gus I knew.” Dee tells him.

 

“I saw a confused kid who rocked my world.” Al says, yawning and limping to Gus before laying his head on his shoulder.

 

“You know it doesn’t matter to me if your standing or wheeled to me, as long as we get married.” Gus tells Al, completely in their world.

 

“You didn’t come upstairs, so I came here to get you. I sleep better with you.” Al tells him.

 

We all watched them walk out, not caring what the conversation was about.

 

“That’s what I want one day, someone who forgets everything but me.” Dee tells me.

 

“Why one day? I forgot everything the minute you sat in front of me, interviewing for a job.” I tell her, not letting any fear win.

 

“Dude, I need a couple hundred drinks, since I’m practically taking lessons so Tom won’t think I’m only interested in getting him naked.” Luke tells Brandon.

 

“Or is it that you need a drink because I bother you so much.” Tom tells him.

 

“How about we drown him.” Ken says, smiling at Amanda and Jenny when they ran in from the beach.

 

“Drown Luke, or would you like to have dinner with me?” I ask Dee.

 

“Hard choice, since I promised Ken to help him if Luke hurt our baby. Wait, last I checked Tom’s an adult, so dinner with you.” Dee says, yanking me towards the door, while the peanut gallery hooted and cheered us on.

 

I stopped Dee and did something I wanted to do after I first saw her, kissed the shit out of her.