- Text Size +

GUS

 

Mama asked me if we could have time alone together. I couldn’t say no to the only real mother I had. Al was picking up his parents, who hadn’t been able get here until the day before the wedding. We ended up having to go to out because the kitchen was covered in food being prepared for everyone to eat after the wedding. Mama hooked her arm through mine, hugging me as we walked into the restaurant.

 

“It’s killing me that you’re getting married, but in a good way.” She tells me.

 

“I want it to be done already, which I’m sure Emmett wants to kill me for.” I joke, as we were seated.

 

“It amazes me. You got it right the first time. Most people don’t.” She tells me.

 

“Even with all the mistakes, Dad did too.” I tell her.

 

“He was always lucky like that.” She said smiling, all the other feelings she once had about it no longer were there for her.

 

“It’s something I have in common with him. Even though I never wanted how I met Al to happen, I don’t regret that’s what it took to have him in my life.” I tell her.

 

“You’ve really let her go haven’t you?” She asks.

 

“I had you to be there when I needed a mom. I know you made mistakes, but you found a way to be the mother that she couldn’t be. Dad said it to me after I left the house with Al; that even with everything she did, she gave him me. It’s the same for me, she gave me you to make up for her mistakes.” I tell her.

 

“You had to make me cry, didn’t you?” She asks, wiping her eyes.

 

“I know sometimes I don’t always include you in things the way I should, but it doesn’t change how important you are to me.” I tell her.

 

“Al had to be first, and I understand that. I don’t care how I find out, only that I know.” She assures me.

 

“Are you ever going to marry Leda?” I ask.

 

“It’s not something either one of us need to be together. I like the idea that neither of us need a piece of paper to prove anything to each other. It doesn’t mean I think getting married is wrong, it’s wonderful when it’s what you want.” She tells me.

 

“I didn’t really think I would want to get married, until I met Al.” I tell her.

 

“What was it that made him the one for you? I see it, but it’s just we never talked about how you were so sure.” She tells me.

 

“He was there when I needed someone to listen to me. I spent so much time worried and confused about my sexuality, and with him it didn’t matter how I defined myself, because Al was who I wanted. We didn’t jump into anything, because we didn’t need to rush. We both knew in the end we planned to spend the rest of our lives together. We both talked about everything, not letting anything be off limits. For me, it was knowing he loved me for me. That he could handle that my family would always want to be a part of our lives, but not letting anyone run over what we want.” I tell her.

 

“Which your dad only tries to do because he loves you.” She tells me.

 

“I realized I was fighting Dad for the wrong reasons.” I tell her.

 

“You’re nothing like her.” She tells me.

 

“I know it, but sometimes when Dad wants to hand me things, it’s hard to see it. I thought I had something to prove. Only none of you need me to prove anything, you just want me to be happy. I decided to branch out the Liberty Group, instead of trying to start it from the ground up. I kept seeing letting Dad and Jus help me as wrong.” I tell her.

 

“They only see it as the reason they worked so hard, to make it so you and the rest of the kids got everything you wanted. It’s why I worked the way I did, for you and Jenny.” She tells me.

 

“It’s why I’ll work my ass off to do the same for the kids Al and I will one day have.” I tell her.

 

“Do me a favor and accept what your dads and I did for you.” She asks me.

 

“Al and I want to buy our first home.” I protested.

 

“We aren’t buying the house for you. We all understand why you want to do it. But could you let us pay for it to be decorated when you decide on a house?” She asks.

 

“I can live with that, and you can tell Dad that I love the house he found too. Since both of you didn’t try to buy it for me.” I tell her.

 

“Well at least neither of us will have to sell the houses we bought. Did I mention I’m your other neighbor?” Mama says, laughing.

 

“You do realize Jenny will be close to a base full of men?” I asked, pretending to be horrified.

 

“Along with your father and Al keeping them in line.” She pointed out.

 

When we got back to the house Daphne and Nick were outside talking to Jus and Dad. The beach beyond them was covered in with my family. Mama went to where Leda was talking to Ted and Blake and joined them. I felt arms wrap around me, and turned to kiss Al’s lips that were waiting for me.

 

“Any doubts?” He asked.

 

“Not a one.” I tell him.

 

The guys from his team came with their wives and girlfriends, in time for Emmett to put them to work setting up the tables along the beach, with Emmett inspecting every detail until Nana told him it was perfect. 

 

Instead of having a bachelor parties separately, Dad rented out a restaurant so everyone could be together. I made everyone promise no more speeches, and just to relax with Al and me. When everyone started leaving to go to their hotels, Al and I walked out to the beach together past all the decorations, away from the lights. We’d been surrounded by everyone and wanted our time alone until we separated for the night.

 

“I could climb into your window.” Al whispers.

 

“You did, the night I needed you most.” I tell him, thinking of the tree house.

 

“Were you impressed?” He asked.

 

“I think you could call it having the shit scared out of me. You didn’t make a sound getting up there.” I tell him.

 

“I didn’t realize it then but my future snuck up on me while I was sneaking up on you.” He tells me, stopping and holding me so we were facing each other.

 

“I never asked you, how were you sure it was me?” I ask.

 

“You didn’t let the fear of going for what you wanted stop you.” He tells me.

 

“Marry me.” I tell him.

 

“That’s the plan. One of the best ones I ever had.” Al tells me.

 

“So like apparently it’s tradition for me to make sure you two don’t do anything fun. At least that’s what Jenny calls it when Dad sends me after you.” Cameron says, giggling.

 

“One day you’ll understand why I love you and want to kill you at the same time.” I said, kissing Al before chasing my brother back to the house.

 

I looked back and Al was being dragged away by Amanda. Cameron and I slept together like we used to, and it felt right having my best man stay with me.

 

 

AL

 

The team showed up early, dragging my ass for a run, since I’d been goofing off on a beach while they were busting their asses. It was their way of letting me know they were waiting for me to get my ass back to work. Nick jogged next to me, since I wasn’t my usual speed.

 

“You ready to come back after you and Gus have your honeymoon?” Nick asked.

 

“As long as you guys help us get moved I am.” I tell him.

 

“Ready to become a Kinney?” He asks.

 

“Kinney-Speaks. And yes, since the day he came into my life.” I tell him.

 

Nick laughed, ordering me to pick up the pace so I wouldn’t be late to the wedding. My mom was waiting with water for all of us, telling me my uniform wasn’t going to marry Gus, so I should get my ass in the shower. I swear my mom could turn all of grown men into little kids when she ordered us around.

 

Emmett arranged it so Gus would enter from one side and I would from the other. Our parents were going to walk both of us to each other, which Emmett only told us fifteen times, I counted. I was grumbling I got it, only to lose my train of thought at seeing Gus walking towards me. Everyone always commented on how he looked like Brian, but to me no one compared to Gus. 

 

We met in front of the altar. I didn’t care about how anything was supposed to be done, I leaned over and kissed Gus because he was there. He smiled when Cameron got between us.

 

“I’d really like to eat before next week, so maybe you two could let the guy actually marry you.” Cameron says, making everyone laugh at how serious he sounded.

 

“Your genes kill me, he can eat just like you.” Brian said, smiling at Cameron.

 

“Which I can’t do if they keep kissing each other.” Cameron snarked at Brian.

 

Gus kissed Cameron’s head, agreeing to not kiss me until we were married. I didn’t really hear the words, I was lost in the man I was marrying. I listened to Gus agree to be mine for the rest of his life and didn’t say I do at first. Anna and Samantha yelled it for me, and I could have left it there. 

 

“I did the day I met you and I do now.” I said, wanting to kiss him.

 

“Now you may kiss your husband.” Cameron tells me, when I put the ring on Gus’s finger.

 

I kissed his ring as he kissed mine, then pulled him as close as he could get with Cameron sandwiched between us. Everyone cheered, but I really didn’t hear them, and Gus told me later he didn’t either.