- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I didn’t forget this sorry it took so long for me to update.

GUS

 

Even knowing it was his job, it was still hard to say goodbye when he slung his ‘go bag’ over his shoulder. I wasn’t going to make it harder on him to leave, even when I wanted to scream. Instead, I held him close and told him I loved him with the kiss I gave him. I didn’t ask where because where wouldn’t change that it wasn’t somewhere safe. I had to trust him that he would do everything he could to come back to me. We both agreed that it was better for us to say goodbye at home. It wasn’t like they’d let any of the partners or wives watch them leave anyway. We’d been married for a year, managing to deal with life together. 

 

My friends ribbed me about the fact that Al and I didn’t fight with each other. The thing they didn’t get was neither of us was into drama. I grew up with it, and learned that communication was more important than letting things build up until it became bigger than the original problem was. When I worried about Al’s job, I let him help me through it. If Al had problems with anything, he voiced it and I did what I could to make sure we solved it together. It was rare we had any problems.

 

I looked around the cottage house we bought together, wondering what to do with the next week. I’d taken time off, since Al planned to take the week off too, but duty called and he didn’t want me to change my plans. It wasn’t like I couldn’t just work anyway. I just didn’t have it in me to deal with anyone today. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate either. I got up to go make the bed we’d been lazing in when we both thought we had a week to spend together. I’d walked out when Al’s work phone rang. I didn’t want him to feel like he had to apologize to me for his job. Al took a while before he met me in the kitchen. I saw the apology forming and stopped him by handing him coffee and fixing us breakfast. Al reads me so well, and understood that we were going to be normal until he had to leave me.

 

It was something I learned after dealing with the wives and girlfriends the last time Al’s team was called. Daphne came over to help me, and ended up having to explain to the new guy’s wife that her complaining only made it harder on her husband and didn’t help the rest of them, who were just as worried. I really didn’t want to sit around with the others today, a couple hours later I called Hunter, needing to talk. I knew my dad’s would show up if they thought I needed them, but I didn’t want them to have to drop everything for me.

 

“What’s up?” Hunter answered.

 

“Al’s gone.” I tell him, as there was a knock on my door.

 

“Are you okay?” He asked.

 

“I’m dealing with it.” I tell him, going to answer the door.

 

I laughed when Hunter was standing there with Cameron smiling beside him.

 

“So, I sort of begged to come, since Hunter called to tell the dads what’s up.” Cameron tells me, walking in.

 

“They let you come?” I asked, since usually they would have shown up too.

 

“I told them it was a brother’s weekend, and that while you would probably love for them to come, to wait for you to call them.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Which wouldn’t have stopped them.” I remind him as we go to the kitchen.

 

“Anna is at a sleepover with Samantha, and neither of them was going to tell her she couldn’t go. Not to mention that with me bring Cameron with me, they have a free night together.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Yeah, they almost shoved Hunter and I out the door.” Cameron smirked.

 

“How does he look like Brian when he does that?” Hunter asks, laughing.

 

“How’s Dee doing?” I asked.

 

“Can I tell?” Cameron begs.

 

“Tell what?” I ask.

 

“Hunter’s getting married.” Cameron sing-songed, giggling.

 

“I haven’t asked her yet. I wanted to wait until the whole family got together when you and Al came this week… Shit. Sorry.” Hunter says, cringing.

 

“Even if Al can’t be there, he’ll be thrilled to hear it when he comes back.” I tell Hunter, not wanting him to put his life on hold because of mine.

 

“I’m getting hungry.” Cameron tells us.

 

“And that’s when we know he’s got Justin in him.” Hunter jokes.

 

We ordered in and watched movies together while Hunter filled me in on what my friends had been up to lately. Cameron eventually couldn’t stay awake and laid down next to me, putting a pillow on my lap like he did when he was little and going to sleep. Hunter waited until he was out to bring up my birth mother. I haven’t talked to her, but it didn’t mean it bothered me to hear about her. 

 

“She got into some trouble at her newest job, then tried to file harassment charges against the owner. The thing is, for once I think the guy really did try something on her. He’s been accused of it by most of the women he hires from the program.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Even if he did, her past makes it hard for her to believable.” I tell him.

 

“She tried to get Mel to help her.” He tells me.

 

“I bet Leda loved that.” I tell him.

 

“Not really, but she said if the guy did that he shouldn’t get away with it.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Please tell me Mama recommended someone else to help her?” I ask.

 

“Mel got her a lawyer, who only agreed to help after she talked to the others that filed complaints.” He tells me.

 

“At least she didn’t try to get Dad to help her.” I tell him.

 

“She fucked up with you, and even she knows that slammed the door on Brian helping her in any way. Which he wouldn’t have either way because of what she tried to pull with Justin and him.” Hunter tells me.

 

“You know Dee is going to say ‘yes’ don’t you?” I ask, ready to change the subject.

 

“That’s pretty much what her dad told me when I asked him.” He tells me.

 

“They love you, but then who wouldn’t? It’s weird how lucky we are with the families of the people were with.” I tell him.

 

“It was a bit touchy at first, but Dee made sure they knew she understood what a relationship with me would be like, and that I’d kill anyone who hurt her. I also told them if Dee wanted a child we’d have one and I would love it because it was part of their daughter.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Al and I have been talking about it.” I tell him.

 

“I know you both want one.” He tells me.

 

“We aren’t in a hurry, but eventually we do. I like that we have time with just us right now, but I miss having all the kids around too.” I tell him.

 

“Remember, you can send US back when we drive you nuts.” Cameron mumbles.

 

We spent the rest of the weekend between the beach and checking the businesses that I’d been working with. Hunter trusted me as always, but liked seeing the good that came from Jus’s idea. Dad called Sunday to check on me, which had me being a smart ass and asking if he forgot me. 

 

“Sonny Boy, when you have kids you’ll forgive me for forgetting anything exists. How are you doing?” He asks.

 

“It’s been fun to hang with the boys, I thought I’d come over and get some Anna time.” I tell him.

 

“Which means I’m going to have all your friends showing up too?” He asks, sounding unhappy, but I knew he didn’t care.

 

“Brandon hasn’t hit on Jus again, has he?” I joke.

 

“No. And right now he’s on my good list.” He tells me.

 

“What did I miss about Brandon?” I ask Hunter, when Dad didn’t continue. Hunter shrugged, looking confused.

 

“Ask your sister when you come home.” Dad tells me.

 

“Brian!” I heard Jus yell in the background.

 

“If Mel and I have to thank Brandon, then Jenny has to deal with her brothers.” Dad tells him.

 

“Which is what?” I said, putting him on speaker so Hunter could hear.

 

“Little miss ‘I’m an adult’ tried to drink half of Babylon last night then tried to entertain the masses by stripping. Brandon got to her before that happened and carried her out, dropping her off at Mel’s house, not wanting her to be alone. Mel was not amused when Jenny drunkenly complained that Brandon stopped her before her debut as a stripper. I was told I had to be nice to Brandon for stopping Jenny and bringing her home safe. I called Alice and asked if that really meant I had to be nice, and Jenny now has all the mothers mad. Yet even Jenny says I have to be nice to Brandon.” He complains.

 

“You got her in trouble so she’s making you pay for it.” Hunter laughs.

 

“I did nothing but question why I had to be nice to the boy.” Dad tells us.

 

“Because you love Jenny and know he didn’t let her do something she would have regretted.” I tell him.

 

“Which means, as my sons you are responsible for being nice for me.” Dad tells us.

 

“Can I tell Dad now?” Cameron asks Hunter.

 

“Tell me what?” Dad asks.

 

“Nothing.” Hunter shouts, as I hang up. “You know, Dee might want to know she isn’t the last person to know.” Hunter tells Cameron.

 

“Then why did you tell us? No one in this family keeps anything a secret. At least I didn’t tell Gus…” Cameron stopped, running out of the room.

 

“Tell Gus what?” I ask him.

 

“That Al called us when he knew he was going, and asked us to come and make sure you didn’t hide in the house all week.” Hunter tells me.

 

“It’s why I love him, he understand what I need when I need it.” I tell Hunter.