- Text Size +

GUS

 

One more exam and college would be history. Al was distracting, but I managed to cram what I needed into my head. Drew picked him up for therapy, since Al told me school was more important than sitting around while he performed stupid pet tricks for his new physiotherapist. Even though I’d rather be with Al, failing an exam wasn’t the way to go.

 

Since he was gone, I decided to head to school early. I could study in the library anyway, with the group. I picked up coffee for the three who called me when I was on my way, saying they needed the pick-me-up to stay awake for the exam they had stayed up all night studying for. Ken, Tom, and Dee descended on the coffee the minute I put it down.

 

I met the three of them when we started college at the same time. Liking that they never asked questions about my family. They were here to go to college, not party at college, which like Hunter, was my mind set. I’d been invited to a lot of parties at first, and went to a few. Getting bored when the tenth person threw up in front of me, then took off to refill for the next round. I ended up walking to the library, where I met the three of them on a Saturday night, helping each other study, and found people I had something in common with. We didn’t go anywhere outside of school together. I knew they really couldn’t afford a lot, since they weren’t as lucky as I was, to have parents that could send me and ten other people to college and not really feel it. It made me realize that I didn’t want to lose touch with them after we graduated. Eventually, if we stayed in touch, they’d meet my family, if they didn’t at graduation. It wasn’t that I hid my family, it was just our time was taken up by studying. They only knew about Al because they’d been around when he called me.

 

It really pissed me off one night when I heard a couple of fashionistas whispering loudly that I was doing community service by letting them hang around me. Dee was a pretty dirty blonde with gold highlights that were natural, unlike what the bleached blondes wished they had, she was a little heavy but when she laughed she sparkled, and a few guys stopped to watch, not that she was interested. She told me she was waiting for the guy who worshiped her before she’d be willing to give up her single ways. One day someone was going to be lucky to have her, and I’d make sure he knew how lucky. Tom and Ken’s average looks changed, because inside they were good guys. Tom was a redhead to his pale toes. Gay, but not willing to date until he graduated. Ken’s black hair contrasted with is dark blue eyes, which got attention from girls when they really looked at him.  

 

“I swear, my grandmother will disown me if I end up not graduating for procrastinating.” Dee tells us, which made me laugh, since she started her assignments five minutes after they were assigned.

 

“All I can think is that even when I graduate, I still don’t have a job yet. I can’t live with my mom again.” Tom groans.

 

“I have no problem with my mom taking over all the shit I ignored that she did for me. Even if I get a job, hopefully my mommy will take me back. What about you Gus, any plans?” Ken asks, laughing with us.

 

“I’m getting married, but I’ve been working with my brother to get some experience. I could work for one of my dads for now, they’d both be willing to help me, but I want to do it on my own.” I tell them.

 

“I put in a resume with Kinnetik, I haven’t heard anything yet.” Tom says, making me think it’s time to come clean about my family.

 

“There’s also the Liberty Group. They’re willing to train on the job.” Ken tells him.

 

“I’ve got a interview scheduled with them next week. I’m nervous as hell. I mean, the guy, Mr Montgomery, wanted not just my school experience but anything involving community service. Achievements that showed that I could do more than pass a test or write a paper.” Dee tells us.

 

Here I go, not really worried about their reaction. “It was started to help revitalize the businesses on Liberty Avenue. To offer people who normally end up in dead end jobs, or no way to get a job, a chance to have a better future. One of the reasons Hunter asks for that is because there will be times when you’re dealing with people who, for whatever reason, might have done things most people look down on to survive.” I tell her.

 

“You know Mr Montgomery?” Dee asks.

 

“He’s my brother.” I tell her.

 

“Isn’t the Liberty Group family run?” Ken asks.

 

“Not completely, but the ones who aren’t, my family considers family anyway.” I tell them.

 

“There’s a rumor that Justin Taylor owns it. According to an article I read, he’s married to the guy who owns Kinnetik.” Tom tells them, having them all look at me.

 

“Hi, I’m Gus Marcus-KINNEY.” I joke.

 

“Holy cow. Look, I don’t want a job unless I impress them. I mean I don’t have a problem if you tell Mr Kinney you know me, but I want to earn the position.” Ken tells me.

 

“Even though I sort of have a huge crush on your brother, please tell him he needs me.” Dee jokes.

 

“Wait, did you say you were getting married? Are your study buddies invited? With your family the food has to be amazing.” Tom asks. Which we all get, since he was the biggest starving student among us.

 

“I’ll get Emmett to put you guys on the list. We just decided to have it in Florida, on the beach. We’re waiting until Al can walk without crutches. I’m sure if you guys want you can at least come to my graduation party that they think I don’t know they’re planning.” I tell them. 

 

“My family is going to be here to watch me.” Ken tells me, and Dee nods too.

 

“While I would love to go to Florida, it’s not really in my budget yet. I would really just burn anyway. But I’m good with celebrating with you, since my it’s just my mom and me hanging out.” Tom tells me.

 

“Please don’t take this as me sounding like a spoiled kid, but the only thing you need is an invitation to go to the wedding. My Uncle’s team is providing all the transportation. If your families don’t have plans, and don’t have a problem with joining mine, it’s not a problem if you bring them.” I tell him.

 

“Why would you think it would be a problem?” Ken asks.

 

“We’re a bit… Hell, we’re the definition of alternative.” I tell them.

 

“Babe, feed us and we could care less.” Tom tells me, with the other two agreeing.

 

AL

 

Drew watched as the guy put me through my paces. Making the therapist nervous, since Drew frowned the entire time.

 

“Ignore him, it’s the look everyone gets unless you’re his daughter or husband.” I tell Brandon.

 

“It’s more feeling like after the shit with Donna, not wanting to do something wrong.” He tells me.

 

“That was personal. She wanted to rekindle something that died pretty much the minute we started dating.” I tell him.

 

“She didn’t get it. Saying there was no way you suddenly went gay.” He tells me, showing interest in the subject.

 

“Which is why, when she tried to piss off my fiance, I requested someone who could do their job.” I tell him.

 

“Sorry. But you know how it is. People talk their way out of job, then can’t stop talking. I was curious, but I get what you’re saying.” He tells me.

 

“If you did, we wouldn’t be sitting here wasting Al’s time with cooler gossip.” Drew tells him.

 

Apparently that was all it took to have Brandon get back to why we were here. I could tell there was more to the way Drew watched every move Brandon made, but would question it later. I limped out, wondering why healing meant hurting more after therapy. But it wasn’t like I expected easy after flying like superman when the blast sent me airborne. 

 

“If he steps over the line, I’ll get someone for you that won’t be a problem.” Drew tells me.

 

“Do you know him?” I ask.

 

“He just likes causing trouble at Babylon. Brian lets him in because he attracts a crowd.” Drew tells me.

 

“I’ve never seen him there.” I tell him.

 

“Likely because Brian made sure he understood to stay away from Gus.” Drew tells me.

 

“Why? It’s not like Gus would even give him the time of day. I’d say it’s because he has me, but Gus would see right through the guy.” I tell him.

 

“Brandon wouldn’t care. To him, if he couldn’t land Brian or Justin, pissing them off is just as fun.” He tells me.

 

“They’ve never mentioned him.” I tell him.

 

“He didn’t really matter to either of them, and they were past the games he wanted to play. Brian at one time would have challenged Brandon’s wanting the attention Brian commanded at one time. Only by the time Brandon came along, the only person Brian wanted was Justin. Brandon tried to bring the old Brian back, failing when Brian told him Justin was the top ten for him.” Drew tells me.

 

“You know, my luck is usually better than this.” I tell him, thinking Brandon wouldn’t need to worry about Gus’s reaction, since he’d have to deal with me first.

 

“Next time run faster, because my daughter likes her Al.” Drew tells me, smiling like he always does when Samantha is brought up.

 

Gus texted me to tell Emmett he was inviting a few extra people to the surprise graduation party and wedding. I texted back that we might need to rent half of Florida after my mom sent the list from my side of the family.

 

“So, small can be done with a few hundred people, right?” I joke.

 

“Emmett has always performed miracles.” Drew laughs.