- Text Size +

GUS

 

Sitting in the sea of hats, I just wanted this done. Al and I celebrated with Terry, Luke, and Kara at Babylon last night until Al and I took the celebration home. Al was still on crutches but didn’t let anything get in the way of making it a night we’d remember. The only problem came when my brother and sisters came to deliver breakfast an hour after we fell asleep, exhausted.

 

Jenny snuck them in with her key, and ended up covering up Anna’s eyes when they walked up to wake us up, and saw more of her soon to be brother-in-law than she expected to see. Al didn’t even care, just grabbed the covers when he heard Anna ask why Jenny wouldn’t let her see. So we ended up downing coffee to stay awake, since we only had a few hours before I needed to be at the school.

 

My family took up an entire section of the stadium, all of them making noise and letting everyone know it was me they were here for. Jenny made a huge banner, just in case anyone didn’t know who they were here to see. I smiled at Al hanging over the wall, and decided at Jenny’s graduation I'd make sure she got payback for sneaking in this morning. As I got to the other side to stairs, I looked around as I was waiting, and see my mother and Deb sitting together. Deb was still on the outside of all of our lives, and coming with my mother wasn’t going to change it. It would only piss off Mel if she saw this. I ignored them, looking back at Al, seeing that he didn’t miss it. I wasn’t going to let it change anything for my real family.

 

Everyone came down after it was over but Al. Dad pulled me aside, letting me know that he saw Mom and Deb, but Al told him he'd handle it. For all Dad’s sniping at Al, he trusted him to do what he'd always done for me. I took my Dad and Jus to meet the friends I’d invited to the party.

 

Tom stared at my Dad and Jus, the way most of the men on Liberty Avenue did anytime they were there. Ken straightened his tie when I introduced him to my dad. Dad walked off with him to talk about his application. Hunter pretended not to see Dee’s eyes following him as he came up to hug me. Dee managed to control herself as Hunter nodded to her. 

 

Dad and Emmett gave everyone directions if they didn’t know where Babylon was. Leaving me to wait on Al. He found me after the crowd thinned, and we got in the car before I asked him about what he said to Deb and Mom.

 

“I just told them none of us had a problem with them being at the graduation, since it was open for anyone who wanted to come see it, but to respect your choices by staying away from you.” He tells me.

 

“Hopefully Mama didn’t see them. For Jenny’s sake she tries to work with Deb, but bringing Mom with her isn’t something Mama would be happy about.” I tell him.

 

“It’s her choice, she knows how everyone feels about Lindsay. Which is just a step back again for Deb.” He tells me.

 

Which didn’t happen often, but did still happen. We pulled up to Babylon, laughing at how it looked like the graduating class was walking in. Ken’s parents were talking to Jus and Hunter. Dad, Ted, and Blake were missing at first, but came down the stairs with Tom, likely giving him a tour. Luke was slamming a shot, then looking up at Tom, before ordering another one. I looked at Al because Luke drank, yes, but it was the way he seemed confused as he looked at Tom that was different. Al shrugged and we ended up having our attention drawn to the stage.

 

“Gus, we all wanted to congratulate you on not only knowing what you want, but working towards your goals never letting anything deter you. I want you to know I’m proud of you, and know how lucky I am to have been given the gift of having you in my life.” Mama said, crying, but swiping at Dad when he said something to her, as he grabbed the microphone from her.

 

“I’ve never enjoyed making speeches. That’s something Justin was always better at. I want you to know, I’ve made a lot of mistakes through my life, but you were never one of them. You stood by me, even when I didn’t give you a reason to, and didn’t let anyone tell you who you are and what you wanted. Like Mel, I’m not only proud of you, but I love you, Sonny Boy.” My Dad said, glaring at whatever Mama said to him when he gave Jus the microphone.

 

“Gus, being allowed to watch you grow up was my privilege, and it gave me a son, even when I was only a friend. Having you in my life made it brighter, just being there to watch you grow into the amazing man you are. Your ending a chapter, but beginning a new one. One that will bring you the same things your father brought me. I love you, and can’t wait to see where you go from here.” Jus tells me, not caring that he was crying.

 

“Gus, Drew and I love you, and want you to know our family started with you. Before I cry, just know our home is always open to you.” Emmett cried anyway, and handed Ted the microphone.

 

“Blake and I thank you for helping us when there were days our son Max drove us insane.” Ted laughed when Max booed him. “I know we don’t have to worry about your future, because you learned your determination from Brian, Justin, and Mel. But know I’m here if you need an ear to bend. Also, please eat the food, or take it home, otherwise Emmett will cry at the leftovers.” Ted jokes as he signals the DJ to start the music.

 

My old friends and new ones came over to where we were standing, leaving the adults to get to know them. Luke stood next to Dee at first, but inched his way over to Tom, who wasn’t paying any attention to him at all.

 

“My mom says your dads are hot, which wasn’t fun since it was my reaction too.” Tom jokes.

 

“I swear I sweated bullets when your dad started asking me about my goals in life. He told me to call someone named Cynthia on Monday. Is that good?” Ken asks.

 

“He lets Cynthia do the first interview. Then it’s him and Ted. Most people don’t get past Cynthia unless she knows my dad won’t kill you.” I tell him.

 

“His dad isn’t that bad.” Jenny tells them, which she wouldn’t know since they treat her like a princess.

 

“Gus can you come with us?” Dad asks, not waiting for me, just expecting me to follow him and Jus. 

 

“I told you I didn’t want presents.” I tell them as Al follows me.

 

“You really think he wouldn’t get you one.” Jus tells me.

 

Ted handed my dad an envelope, which no longer surprises me, since they stopped with wrapped gifts after my eighteenth birthday. 

 

“I know you want to do it from the ground up, and you can, but this is from all of us for you and Al to do what you want with.” Dad tells me, as everyone nods with him.

 

I opened up the envelope, hugging my dad for not doing something as ridiculous as he joked about doing to keep me from following in Ted’s footsteps. Counting it up in my head it really only equaled a thousand per person between all of them.

 

“If you want what I really want to give you, just say the word.” Dad whispers.

 

“It’s what they all gave me.” Hunter tells me.

 

“Um, when I graduate, feel free with the wallets.” Jenny jokes.

 

“If you and Al want to go spend some time in Florida, alone or with your friends, consider it my gift.” Nana tells me.

 

“We could do that, except Al has therapy.” I tell her, knowing Al would ignore therapy to make me happy.

 

“I’ll handle it, and I’ll make sure Brandon understands why he’s going.” Drew tells me. 

 

“Let him know he’ll be out of job if it’s a problem.” Dad tells Drew.