- Text Size +

GUS

 

Al and I were sitting on the beach while all my friends messed around in the water. Even Brandon seemed to forget he should impress anyone, and just enjoyed his working vacation. I knew who Brandon was and also knew although he could be a pain in the ass where Dad and Jus were concerned, he never approached me, other than a casual head nod when we saw each other. Al told me that while Brandon was curious about us, he hadn’t done anything yet that sounded like what Drew told him.

 

What are you thinking about?” Al asked.

 

“The future. That in a way I’m creating a group of friends the way Dad and Jus have, only my friends have less in common than theirs.” I tell him.

 

“In what way?” Al asks.

 

“While Luke and Terry grew up with me, the rest are people I met. I found them outside of the life that surrounded me. Dee, Ken, and Tom were people that as I got to know I considered friends, but never asked them to do the things I do with Luke and Terry. The three of them didn’t know anything but that I was as serious about college as they were and let me join in their circle, without ever caring about anything but their coffee supply.” I joke. 

 

“It’s really rare you keep the people who grew up with you. I really don’t see the people who I used to hang around. They went to college and we lost touch when I joined the Navy. Now when I see them, we just barely manage to find something to talk about. Plus, the team became more than just the people I work with, they’re also the people I spent the most time with when we were off. Something a lot of my friends in the past didn’t get, because for them work and home were two different places in their life.” Al tells me.

 

“In a way I was always surrounded by the friends in Dad and Jus’s life. There were times when what my friends were doing I couldn’t see as something a smart person would do. It’s why I really only hung out with Terry and Luke. They’d rather do things our parents wouldn’t have to bail us out of. Something Luke avoided to avoid his dad, but Terry did the same because it’s just the way he is. When I told Dee, Ken, and Tom who my fathers are, they didn’t really care and didn’t expect me to help them with the jobs they’d applied for. For them I was still the guy they’d known for years, just that they now knew my family.” I tell him.

 

“Of course we didn’t care, you proved to us you didn’t care that people saw us as a step down the social circus that is college popularity.” Ken tells us, sitting down.

 

“I never cared about it.” I tell him.

 

“Hey, I wanted to ask you about Luke, he’s been sort of making passes at Tom, and I get the feeling he’s a bit of a player.” Ken says, letting me know it’s really about making sure Tom isn’t hurt.

 

“He normally is, but he’s also very protective of the people he cares about.” Al tells him.

 

“I like Luke so far, but he needs to be serious when it comes to Tom. Tom didn’t date because he’s a romantic at heart and wouldn’t want to be with someone who only sees relationships as a game.” Ken tells him.

 

“Is he interested in Luke?” I ask.

 

“Well yeah, look at the guy. I’m not gay but I get why Tom likes looking at him.” Ken tells us.

 

“Brandon actually turns more heads at the club.” I pointed out.

 

“Brandon isn’t making passes at Tom, so until he does I won’t worry about him.” Ken tells us, getting up.

 

“Luke seems different with Tom.” Al tells me.

 

“He’s looking at his doom and fighting it. He always does if he thinks they’ll be something more.” I tell him.

 

“I get that, I mean there I was a free agent and then this kid kissed me and sealed any escape.” Al jokes, pulling me over to kiss me.

 

“I can’t believe I’m going to say this but we need more straight men and women around here if you two are going to get me and everyone else hot and bothered.” Dee says, sitting at the end of chair.

 

“My brother is coming tomorrow, so are our two straight sisters. Will that help?” I joke, feeling Al’s abs as she watches us.

 

“You keep doing that, and Dad will send Cameron and Anna to turn any X-rated thoughts into G-rated actions.” Al says, not stopping me.

 

“This girl needs some X-rated action now that school is over. Any chance Hunter is willing? Which really is presumptuous of me, since he really didn’t seem interested.” Dee says, not putting herself down, just willing to admit that it might be just that he isn’t interested.

 

“I sometimes think he uses working to avoid what relationships would mean to him.” I tell her, knowing his HIV is usually the obstacle when it comes to relationships.

 

“Why? I mean he’s hot as hell, has a great job, and is really sweet. All that says is women are stupid for not snatching him up. He could have women lining the streets.” She tells me.

 

“I can test it and see what he says.” I offer.

 

“Let me know, and tell him I still would like to be friends with him since he called me to tell me I got the job. Which is really why came over here, only to wish you and Al would give me a show. Thanks by the way.” Dee says, walking over to sit with Kara.

 

“Welcome to the love boat.” Al jokes.

 

HUNTER

 

I’d been running my ass off so I could go spend some time with Gus and Al. While running my ass off I realized it was time to hire someone to help around here. Looking through the applications with Justin, we both thought Gus’s friend was the only one who actually wanted the job. Because she saw it as a way to help people. I tried to suggest someone else, which only had Justin asking why.

 

“I guess because the whole time I was interviewing her, I couldn’t keep my head in the interview.” I tell him.

 

“Is something wrong?” Justin asks.

 

“I was trying to control my other head. Hell, I didn’t even know she was friends with Gus, and now I feel like I’m perving on my little brother’s friends.” I tell him.

 

“As long as she is interested it’s not a problem if you work together, and possibly be more.” Justin tells me.

 

“I don’t even know her, and I also don’t want her to feel like she got the job because I think she’s gorgeous.” I tell him.

 

“Then tell me why you would give it to her if she wasn’t someone you found attractive.” Justin tells me.

 

“She was taking a full load at college and still found time to help at any shelter where she was needed. Everyone who knew her said she went out of her way to comfort the people who most people avoid. If someone she’d gotten to know didn’t show up, she went out to make sure they ate and that they were okay. She also understood to be careful not to insult them by making them think she saw them as a charity case. Overall she’d be good at talking to the ones who walk in here already assuming we’ll look down at them. Something we can’t teach them on the job to do, it has to be in the person themselves.” I tell him.

 

“So by hiring someone else we’d be setting ourselves up to likely fire them if they don’t have the qualities she already possess.” Justin pointed out.

 

“Yes.” I tell him, knowing I’d just have to rein in my thoughts at the sparkling smile she tends to throw out there.

 

“I got the feeling she was interested in you too.” Justin tells him.

 

“Why?” I ask.

 

“She spent the entire night at Babylon watching you while you tried to avoid her. What’s really bothering you that your attracted to her?” He asks.

 

“Right now nothing, but eventually what happens if it works out with her?” I ask him, hating the look on his face. It’s one he had for Brian when the shit with Michael almost ruined his marriage, disappointment.

 

“Hunter, if someone really loves you, nothing matters. If Brian was in your situation, it wouldn’t have changed that I love him and want to spend my life with him. Also, you’re jumping twenty steps when only one is required... finding out if there’s even a reason beyond attraction before worrying about what happens next. While you were reading her essay did you read one of the places she volunteered at regularly?” Justin asks.

 

“It doesn’t mean she would want to date someone with HIV or AIDS.” I tell him, hating that I was letting my old fears come back.

 

“It also means she knows what it means to the person who has them, and didn’t care because it didn’t change that she wanted to be there with them. Call her and tell her she has the job, maybe throw a little charm in there, you know, like Brian does when he wants something.” Justin tells me, smiling when Brian smirked at the door.

 

“Now get out of here and make sure Jen’s beach house is still standing.” Brian tells me, walking out with Justin and the kids.

 

I packed up, grabbed my bag, and went to pick up Jenny and Amanda, since they were coming with me. Mel let me know she and Leda were going to take a vacation while they could be wild and carefree without Jenny. Jenny ran to the car, saying they were scaring her with all the parental sexcapades. Amanda just latched onto my arm and said hopefully Al wouldn’t take over for Alice in the protecting of Amanda’s innocence, flirting like she always did. It was different since Amanda was really more like another sister, and just flirted to do it.

 

And here I go again, Dee didn’t even flirt, yet just her smile was enough for me. We were waiting around at the airport when Gus called to see when we’d be there.

 

“The same time we told you.” I tell him.

 

“So, I sort of suck at this but I told Dee I’d feel you out.” Gus tell him.

 

“About what?” I ask.

 

“Hello. Asshole, she’s interested in you.” Gus tells me, like it should have been obvious why.

 

“Then tell her why she might want to reconsider.” I tell him.

 

“Wow, I never thought you were insecure, but then I guess we all are sometimes.” Gus tells me.

 

“Not all of us can meet the person we love the way you did.” I tell him.

 

“I really think it’s more that I wasn’t afraid to grab what I wanted. But yeah, you aren’t as lucky, since Al loved me the best.” Gus jokes.

 

“Just tell her yes I am. We’ll see.” I tell him, hanging up and doing what Justin once told me, reaching for more.