- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm ending this one here. It will pick up later with Brian and the horrors of being a grandfather.

AL

 

Sitting around waiting for three days when I could have been with Gus was not making my mood any better. I couldn’t even call Gus because we’d been running through the OP, with the idea that we’d actually be on a plane already. Nick wasn’t thrilled when he had to tell all of us we were stuck here another day in wait mode. The new guy, Neil, got in trouble when he answered a call from his wife, who wasn’t my favorite person. The chick acted like she didn’t remember who she married, complaining constantly anytime he was called for a job. I had a feeling he was going to be forced into making a choice soon, if his wife didn’t start getting with the program. 

 

I was reading in my bunk when Neil fell into the one next to me. He’d been pretty cool about Gus when he met him, and I honestly liked him. So I tried to help when I could.

 

“I should have just left my phone at home.” He told me.

 

“You need to have the talk with her instead.” I tell him.

 

“I’ve told her ten times already not to call unless it was life or death. She got pissed when I told her none of the other wives or Gus do this shit.” He told me.

 

“Gus told me she’s having trouble making friends with everyone.” I tell him.

 

“She says Gus doesn’t seem to be doing any better.” He told me, defending his wife.

 

“Gus grew up with Nick’s wife, plus he works. So he’s not sitting by himself all day. We were supposed to be off together this week, but he isn’t calling here because he understands and accepts what comes with my career.” I tell him.

 

“Is he really some rich kid?” He asks.

 

“No. He’s the son of two successful fathers and a successful mother. Everything he has is because he works for it.” I tell him, letting him see I didn’t like the question.

 

“Sorry. My wife overheard the others saying they wanted to go hang out with Gus at the club his fathers own. She got curious and well... She told me about what she found out about Gus.” He tells me.

 

“If she wants to get on the wrong side of everyone, tell her asking Gus or me about it will do it a heartbeat. None of that shit had anything to do with Gus.” I tell him.

 

“Yeah, she figured that out when she mentioned it to a few of the wives. That’s why she called today, because they told her to mind her own business. I wanted to tell you I’m sorry if Gus gets pissed about it.” He tells me.

 

“As long as she doesn’t bring it up again, it should be fine.” I told him, glad my teammates wives proved once again they were loyal to Gus. 

 

The next morning we were sitting around waiting for Nick. He’d gotten called into a meeting. When he came out he didn’t look happy, and when he told us we weren’t going I wasn’t happy, because I could have been with Gus instead of sitting around here.

 

“You still have a week off to spend with Gus. If we get call I’ll have someone to cover you.” Nick told me, making me want to kiss him, not that I did.

 

I got home and to an empty house, but we’d planned to go to Pittsburgh yesterday anyway. I changed into my jeans and repacked my bag with normal clothes. I called Brian, who told me the family was having a special dinner that Hunter asked them to have. I asked Brian to keep it from Gus that I’d be there, then asked to talk to Justin.

 

 

GUS 

 

I patted Hunter on the back and kissed Dee when she accepted, after rolling her eyes at Hunter’s nervousness when he asked her to marry him. Luke didn’t say a word other than to congratulate them. Luke’s outlook on life had changed, but only because it took him months to get Tom to take him seriously. But once Tom did, Luke didn’t want to blow it. 

 

“You doing okay Sonny Boy?” Dad asked me.

 

“I wish Al could have been here, but he’ll be thrilled.” I tell him.

 

I looked around for Jus, who had disappeared a few minutes earlier. Anna came over, distracting me by asking me to read her a story. She laid her head on my chest, making me think about doing this with my own daughter one day. She barely got through half the story before falling asleep. I sat there as everyone started sitting around the room. Dad picked up Anna, and Jus came in, only to leave again with Dad to put Anna to bed. 

 

“Gus, can you go see if I left my phone in the treehouse? I’m going to check my room.” Cameron asked before running up the stairs.

 

I got up while everyone talked about going out together tomorrow night with Brandon. Jenny practically ran after Cameron saying she’d help him look in his room, probably to avoid another lecture about why you only drink with people who don’t let you do stupid things.

 

I stood at the ladder of the tree house, resting my head on the tree. I prayed Al was safe tonight, and that he would be home soon. Climbing into the treehouse I looked around with the flashlight we keep for the kids when they wanted to spend the night in here with friends. I didn’t see the phone, but I also didn’t want to go right back. I sat the same place I did the night Al climbed through the window, changing my world. It wasn’t like the last time. I wasn’t a confused, angry kid. Instead I knew who I was, who I loved, and was at peace with my world around me. All because Al climbed through the window and into my life. 

 

I jumped when I heard a thump on the roof, thinking maybe something fell on it. Then I almost had a heart attack when feet came through the window. And somehow managed not to scream like a teenage girl when Al smirked at me.

 

“I’m going to kill you.” I told him, lunging myself at him.

 

“I did my ninja shit and you’re not impressed.” Al jokes, with a pout.

 

“How are you here?” I asked, breathing him in before kissing him.

 

“It’s where you are.” He whispered.

 

“But you were…” Al kissed me again.

 

“But I’m here and will be here for the full week.” Al tells me.

 

We both looked up when Cameron popped his head in. “Dad wanted me to give you these.” Cameron tells us, shoving sleeping bags in before leaving. “Oh, and he said to tell Al- ‘Be all that he can be’.” We heard as Cameron giggled, getting down.”

 

Al and I barely got any sleep, talking about plans for the week and the next chapter of our lives. He agreed that it was time to get back at my dad. Hopefully he’d deal with being a grandfather without screaming in horror.


The End.
starlight is the author of 43 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked Gus’s Choice also liked 809 other stories.