- Text Size +

Brian and the boys sat in their booth at the Liberty Diner the next morning. Brian was inside of Emmett and across from Ted who sat beside Michael. Michael was all excited about his "date" with the professor last night. The fact that Ben was HIV positive was the topic of concern.

Michael said cheerfully, "I'm positive. It was the first thing out of his mouth."

"After your dick," Brian said smirking. He hoped Michael was being careful. Brian always was and he hoped he had instilled that in his friend.

Ted began one of his sanctimonious tirades. "It's commendable that he told you, but it still doesn't change the fact that you're playing with fire. I mean, what happens if a condom breaks, or if he's flossing his teeth and his gums bleed?"

"Or if he shoots his load and you're bending over to tie your shoe and it accidentally flies up your ass?" Brian asked with a smirk. That elicited laughter from Michael and Emmett. Brian was sick of Ted's lecture.

"Jesus Christ, Brian!" Ted retorted. "Do you have to make a fucking joke out of everything, even your best friend's safety?"

Brian glared at Ted. He wished he was sitting on the outside and then he could just get up and leave. They were all fucking big boys and they could take care of themselves, some better than others he had to admit.

"I know how to be safe," Michael protested.

"No," Ted refuted him. "You think you do. We all do. But it's more than just being careful. It's knowing that you're living with death, knowing that Ben has something inside him that could kill him. And if you have just one little fuck-up, one moment of forgetfulness, just one mistake, it could kill you too."

"I think you're being a little dramatic, Teddy," Emmett intervened. "There are plenty of guys who have boyfriends who are positive."

"Those people aren't Michael," Ted replied not willing to let the subject go. He was genuinely worried about Michael's safety. "And you weren't so fucking nonchalant when you thought you might have been infected," Ted added for effect.

"Look," Michael sighed. "I appreciate your concern but you're talking about Ben like he's a disease and not a person. If you were seeing someone you cared about who was positive, I think you'd feel differently."

Brian noted that Michael had just said that he cared about Ben. This thing with the professor could be serious. The positive status of the prof worried him a bit, but it was Michael's decision. They each made their own choices.

"No, I'm sorry," Ted continued in that unforgiving voice of his. "I know it's not politically correct or nice, but no, I wouldn't do it, no matter how much I liked the guy."

"Wouldn't do what, honey?" Debbie asked arriving with the coffee pot to refill their cups.

"Date someone who's positive," Emmett filled in the missing information before anyone could shut him up. He always spoke what was on his mind.

Brian and Ted glared at him for spilling the beans. Michael didn't look pleased either, but he knew he would have to tell his mother about Ben eventually.

"Well that's a hell of an attitude!" Debbie reacted. "I gotta say I'm kinda surprised hearing it from one of you, considering how many guys you fuck."

"Yeah, numbers may vary from person to person," Ted said looking directly at Brian.

Brian stuck his tongue out just enough to make his point with Ted. Loser! He glanced at Debbie waiting for the rest of the speech he was sure she was going to deliver. He wasn't disappointed.

"I mean one of you could be positive," she began. "The reason you're not, certainly isn't because you're always careful. I know goddam well that isn't true. You're lucky!" she said emphatically glancing around the table at each of them. "You're fucking lucky! So don't tell me you couldn't love somebody just because they're not as fortunate as you are. That's all the more reason to," she paused for effect. "If you ask me."

"Thank you, mother," Michael piped up.

"What for, honey?" she asked with a big grin.

"Ben's positive."

Brian watched the grin slowly fade from her face, and be replaced with what, fear? The change was swift but Brian knew he had seen her confidence slip. She tried to regroup.

"So, can I get you guys any thing else," she asked before moving quickly away when no one answered.

"She didn't look too happy about Ben being positive," Emmett said. Trust Emmett to state the obvious and not back away from unpleasant topics.

"Well, I'm not either," Ted continued.

"I know," Michael said exasperated. "I fucking heard you the first time." He grabbed his jacket and took off.

"You think he'll be all right?" Emmett asked looking at Brian.

Brian shrugged. "It's a scary world out there, boys and girls. We all do what we have to do." He nudged Emmett to let him out. It was time to get out of there. There was nothing he could do to help Michael. The boy had to make his own decisions. Brian wondered for a fleeting moment what he would do if he found out that a guy he liked had HIV. He snorted to himself. Yeah, like he was ever going to have anyone that he cared enough about to worry about him being positive.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

Justin arrived at the diner about 5 pm. His shift started at 5:30 and ran over the dinner hour. He wondered if he would see that guy Brian. For some reason he was looking forward to talking to him again. He also wanted that dance. Maybe that's why he had arrived early, in hopes that Brian would be there. Or perhaps he hoped to fish some more information about the tall man from Debbie. She seemed to know him well.

As his eyes scanned the diner, he realized Brian wasn't there. He let out a little sigh and went to sit at the counter. Debbie was putting an order in. When she turned around she saw him sitting there and flashed a tense smile. He wondered what was wrong. She was usually so upbeat and loud.

"Hi, Sunshine," she said softly. "You're early."

"I thought I'd eat before I worked," Justin said by way of explanation.

"Want a burger and fries?"

He nodded, "And a coke."

She placed the order and returned with his coke. "Got a minute?" he asked.

She looked quizzically at him and then nodded slipping onto the stool next to him. "What's up?"

Now that he had her undivided attention, he wasn't sure how to bring up the topic of Brian. "You seem a little down," he said deciding to take a different tack. "Is something wrong?"

"I just found out some disturbing news," she said.

"Want to talk about it?" he asked.

She looked at him perhaps weighing how much she could trust him and if he was worthy of her confidence. "I found out this morning that my son is dating someone who is HIV positive."

Justin blanched at her news. He tried to recover quickly before she looked back at him. Debbie continued to stare at her hands giving him some time to think of something to say. "So how do you feel about that?" he asked playing with the straw in his coke and avoiding eye contact.

"I don't like it," she said vehemently.

"But I thought you said your brother was positive?"

"He is, but Michael isn't dating him."

"I see."

"No, you don't. Michael's putting himself at risk every time he has sex with this guy, this Ben. I'm scared shitless for him."

"But surely they'll be safe," Justin said in a soft voice.

"They fucking better be, but there's always the possibility of a broken condom or something ... I don't know. I'm just worried about him."

"I guess I can understand that."

"What would you know? You're just a kid. You don't have to deal with this kind of shit. I hope you play safe," she demanded.

"Um ... sure," Justin replied. He wasn't about to tell her that he didn't have sex at all these days.

"Here's your dinner," she said seeing the cook set the burger in the window. She handed it to Justin and went to finish waiting on the other tables. Kiki would be coming in soon and Debbie would be going home. She had given Justin a lot to think about.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

That night the four friends met at Woody's before going to Babylon. Brian played a game of pool with Michael. Michael was hopeless but Brian used the game as an opportunity to try some risky shots and thus perfect his game.

"So where's the prof?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, where is he?" Emmett asked. "I wanted to dance with Mr. Yummy."

"Keep your hands off," Michael told him. "He's mine."

"I still think you're making a huge mistake," Ted felt compelled to say. "Get rid of him now before anything happens."

"I don't want to get rid of him and nothing's going to happen."

Ted shook his head in disbelief of the risk his friend was willing to take. "Can't you talk some sense into him?" Ted asked Brian.

"Michael's old enough to make his own decisions," Brian stated.

"Thank you," Michael said with a smile.

"Even if he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing most of the time," Brian added with a grin.

Emmett burst out laughing. That was one of the things Brian liked about Emmett. He had a good sense of humor and stood up for what he believed.

"You know, sweetie," Emmett said to Michael, "I'm not sure I could date someone who was positive. Are you sure you're okay with it?"

"I'm fine, and it depends on the person you'd be dating," Michael said with certainty. He trusted Ben implicitly.

"I don't know," Emmett repeated. "Could you do it, Brian?"

Brian heard his own thoughts from the other day coming back at him. "Who the fuck knows?" he said caustically. "I'm ready for Babylon." He threw the pool cue on the table and headed out, the others following like puppies after the alpha male.

Babylon was packed and Brian began to line up possible tricks. He was perusing a likely candidate when he saw a blond head suddenly enter the room. His gaze immediately riveted on said blond; he felt his blood quicken. It was Justin, and he looked especially hot.

Brian watched as he moved into the throng of dancers. He had a way of letting his body be taken by the music. He could find the beat and become one with the thumping rhythm, letting himself go in a way that Brian never could. Brian knew he was always too self-conscious about the image he was projecting. He needed to be cool and be perceived as cool. It was very restricting. Justin on the other hand gave himself up to the beat. He swayed and bumped and hopped as the spirit moved him, as he felt the music. He didn't care how he looked to others, and because of that he was mesmerizing. Brian was captivated.

He found himself moving out onto the dance floor, moving inexorably towards the blond. He watched a guy bump against Justin and try to rap his arms around him. Justin whispered something in his ear. Brian stopped his forward movement and waited to see what would happen. He thought maybe Justin was going to go with this guy. The man scowled and moved away. Brian smiled in spite of himself.

"Hey," he said as he got close enough to his prey to be heard above the music.

"Hey," Justin smiled looking into Brian's eyes.

Brian suddenly felt his internal temperature go up about ten degrees and all the heat seemed to be centered in the area of his groin.

"Did you come for that dance?" Justin asked all wide eyed and innocent.

Brian gulped and nodded. He had no smart remark to use as a comeback. He slid close to Justin and felt the kid move into his space and fit himself to Brian's movements. Suddenly they were dancing together perfectly. Brian knew they were attracting a lot of attention, but he didn't care. He liked where he was at the moment and the rest of the world be damned.

As the music played they drew closer and closer together. Brian's face was so close to Justin's that he could almost taste those rosy lips. Suddenly the song changed and slowed a bit. Brian's arms went automatically around the blond's waist and drew him close. Brian felt Justin tense for a moment and then relax against him. He could feel an unmistakable hardness against his groin. He smiled as he felt Justin's arms go up and around his neck. They swayed together bumping in all the right places.

They were both hard and almost panting as the song changed back to something faster. Brian stood up a little as Justin moved back.

"Thanks for the dance," Justin yelled above the pounding music.

"Want to get out of here?" Brian asked.

For a second he thought Justin was going to say yes. Then something clouded the boy's face and he shook his head. "I'm only going to dance a couple of more dances and then I'm going home. I have an early class in the morning," he explained.

Inexplicably Brian heard himself saying, "Then dance those dances with me."

Justin's high megawatt smile lit up Babylon as he nodded in acceptance of Brian's invitation to continue dancing.

They finished three or four more dances before Justin pulled away.

"I have to go," he said trying to adjust his bulging pants.

"Do you?" Brian heard himself say. Christ, he sounded like a schoolgirl.

Justin nodded. "Maybe I'll see you at the diner. I work over dinner tomorrow night."

Brian nodded and watched the blond walk away. His cock throbbed and he looked around for a potential source of relief. He grabbed a nearby dancer, whispered his invitation and they headed for the backroom.

Brian's actions had not been lost on his friends.

"Jesus, I don't know why Brian spent all that time dancing with that fucking blond," Michael griped.

"Yeah, and then he had to take someone else to the backroom," Ted added with a smirk. He loved to see Brian get turned down.

"That kid seems to be everywhere these days," Michael continued. "He can't be more than eight. How does he get in?"

"Every time you mention sweet Justin," Emmett observed, "you subtract two years off his age. Soon he'll be back in the womb."

"I wish," Michael said truthfully. He didn't like the kid, and he especially didn't like Brian's interest in him.

They ordered some more beers while they waited for Brian to return from the backroom. When he finally returned, he didn't look too chipper.

"That guy didn't work out?" Ted asked always interested in Brian's sex life.

"Let's just say that he has a lot to learn." Brian ordered a Beam.

"What happened with Justin?" Emmett asked always prepared to satisfy his curiosity.

"Do we have to talk about him?" Michael interrupted. "There must be something better for us to talk about than a six year old."

Emmett gave Michael a knowing look. He had subtracted another two years. He decided to drop the subject since it seemed to upset his friend.

Brian smiled. Trust Michael to get him off the hook. He didn't want to talk about Justin, at least not with this group. He couldn't figure the kid out. He had known from the response of Justin's body when they were dancing that the blond had wanted him, and needless to say, he wanted the blond. He shifted his jeans feeling the growing urgency of obtaining his goal.

He couldn't figure Justin out. He had known they were well on their way towards sex while they danced. Then suddenly Justin had pulled back and walked away. Brian wasn't used to being turned down. He was going to figure out what was up with this kid. And ... he was going to have him. He knew that with certainty. He just had to figure out what the kid wanted and why he was so standoffish.

"Let's dance," Brian said to Michael.

Michael beamed back at him and nodded. They moved out onto the floor. Brian could always count on Michael. Michael would stroke his ego and help him forget about Justin for awhile. He needed to cool it. Then he'd find a likely prospect and take him back to the loft and fuck out all his frustrations in a willing ass.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

Justin rode the bus back to his dorm in welcome silence after the ear-shattering music at Babylon. He liked riding the bus sometimes, especially when it was almost empty like it was now. He could stare out the window and watch the lights flash past. It gave him time to think, and he did need to think.

He needed to think about Brian Kinney and decide what he was going to do. Those dances with Brian had been ... great! He had loved every minute of it. He knew Brian wanted him, and he sure as fuck wanted the tall guy. His dick was still hard from the dancing and growing harder as he thought about the beautiful man. They had been so close together. Somebody had said that dancing was like having sex in front of everyone else on the dance floor. That's exactly what it had been like with Brian.

But ... he didn't want it to be like having sex with Brian. He wanted to have sex with Brian ... for real. He wanted that so bad. He shifted in the seat trying to make a little more room for his stiff cock inside his jeans.

What the fuck was he thinking? He couldn't have sex with Brian. He couldn't have sex with anyone. He might as well face facts. Nobody would want him if they knew.

He thought about his chat with Debbie. She was worried about her son dating some guy who was HIV positive. He could understand why she would be afraid. HIV, AIDS, positive, all scary words. He sighed. He didn't know what he was going to do. If Brian kept coming after him, he'd have to tell him that he was HIV positive too. That was the only fair thing to do.

And then he'd be all alone once again. He closed his eyes trying to block out the light that hurt his eyes where the tears were forming. His life was such a fucking piece of shit.