- Text Size +

The next evening after most of the dinner rush was over at the Liberty Diner, the bell above the door rang signaling another customer. Justin looked up from where he was wiping a table. It was Brian and he felt his heart skip a beat.

"Hey," he said as Brian slid into an empty booth. "All by yourself tonight?" Justin asked.

"By choice," Brian replied in his best 'don't fuck with me' voice.

"Oh, of course. I didn't mean that you couldn't get a date ... if you wanted one. I just meant that you are usually here with your friends, and tonight ... you're ... all ... alone..." He finally stopped, realizing that Brian had caused him to start rambling once again. He wasn't sure how the big guy did that. It seemed to happen so innocently, but with regularity. He frowned as he noticed that Brian seemed to be gloating. "How do you do that?"

"Do what?" Brian asked suddenly all innocence.

"Um ... nothing," Justin replied suddenly feeling foolish. "Do you want something to eat?"

"This is a restaurant, isn't it?"

"Um ... yeah, of course, but you didn't pick up a menu ... or anything. I wasn't sure if you were waiting for someone ... or if you wanted to order now... I can get you something right away ... if you like..." Christ, he was doing it again. He stopped and stared at Brian.

Brian smirked back at him. "I'll have a club sandwich, no mayo," he said on a whim.

"Um ... sure. Coming right up."

Justin went to put in the order. He didn't know what Brian did to him, but he seemed to become a blithering idiot every time he talked to the man. He shook his head in disbelief.

Brian smiled as he watched Justin's delicious bottom move away. He wanted that ass. The smile faded for a moment as he tried to get his lust back under control. The smile returned as he thought about his little game of Flustering Sunshine. He was very good at it, and Justin was such easy prey. Too bad he wasn't that easy when it came to sex. He needed to find out some more information.

"Could I have a coffee while I'm waiting?" Brian asked.

"Sure," Justin said and came around the counter carrying a cup and the pot of coffee. He poured Brian a cup and turned away.

"I ... enjoyed our dance last night," Brian said suddenly. He wasn't sure what possessed him to say such a thing, but he didn't want Justin to leave.

"Don't you mean dances?" Justin said trying to turn the tables on Brian and fluster the older man.

"I guess it was more than one," Brian said with a grin, not at all flustered. "And full contact dancing has always been one of my favorite forms of exercise." Brian smirked at him.

The meaning and innuendo were both blatantly clear. Justin didn't know what to say. He knew if he opened his mouth he'd be babbling again. He turned and walked behind the counter putting the pot back on the burner. His brow was wrinkled with worry and frustration. He didn't know how to handle this man, no, not at all.

The bell rang indicating his order was ready. Justin walked to the window and took a deep breath as he picked up the plate and carried it towards Brian's table.

"Thanks," Brian said as Justin set it down. He turned away thinking that he might escape without making any more of a fool of himself.

"Don't I get any ketchup for my fries?" Brian asked.

Justin cringed. "Sorry, of course you do. I'll get it right now," he said as he went behind the counter to get a bottle of ketchup. "Don't know why I forgot it," Justin mumbled as he came back. He stopped short when he realized that Brian was sitting in the booth waving a ketchup bottle in front of him. It had been on the table the whole time. "Oh..." Justin said not knowing what to do, "you have it." He glanced at the bottle in his hand feeling stupid once again. "So you have everything then?" he said lamely.

"I could use a fork," Brian said with a smirk.

"Oh?" Justin reacted horrified that he had forgotten cutlery. He turned away again, but a hand grabbed his, restraining him.

"I have a fork and a knife and a spoon and a napkin. Relax," Brian said softly.

Justin had felt the heat of Brian's grip and he was sure his face was scarlet at being tricked once again. He yanked his hand away and headed for the back. He needed to get away from this man who seemed to enjoy mortifying him. He was sick of being the butt of this guy's practical jokes.

He thought he heard Brian call his name but he went into the restroom and locked the door. He noted the red blotches on his cheeks. How could he be such an idiot? That Brian was so fucking good looking, but he was a real bastard. Debbie had tried to warn him. He splashed some water on his face and steeled his resolve. There could never be anything between him and Brian, so he was finished worrying about what the tall man thought of him. From now on he'd treat Brian like every other customer, and that would be that. He dried his face and unlocked the door.

When he stepped back out into the diner, he saw immediately that the booth where Brian had been seated was empty. He had left. Justin walked over to the table. The club sandwich was untouched and a twenty dollar bill lay beside it. He frowned. Something inside him wished Brian was still there so he could tell him to shove his generous tips up his ass. He wanted to stand up to the guy and not get flustered. He wanted to stop wanting the teasing bastard. He wanted the man to know that he couldn't have Justin Taylor, nobody could.

Brian walked towards the loft. As soon as Justin had gone to the back Brian knew he had made a mistake. He thought he was being funny by teasing the blond and getting him all flustered. Only when he realized that Justin wasn't finding any humor in it, did he realize how his actions could be interpreted. He regretted what he had done. He regretted making the kid feel less than he was. He even debated staying and telling Justin that he was sorry, but he was afraid the way Justin had reacted that he would see the apology as some kind of perverse taunt.

So he had left. He'd let Justin cool off a bit and then try to make things right in a day or two. He hoped he could do that.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

Brian avoided the diner for a couple of days. He was just about finished with the Baby Wipes account and it couldn't be soon enough to suit him. He had decided that once this account was all set and under control, he would go after Justin Taylor once and for all. This time the kid would be his.

He had had a little chat with Debbie the day before. She had stopped by the loft to tell him that Michael was royally pissed off at her because she had told him that she didn't want him dating Ben. She had expected sympathy from Brian, but Brian never gave much of that. Instead she had been confronted with a few facts of life according to Brian Kinney. Brian had reminded her that Michael was thirty years old and could make his own decisions. She had not wanted to hear that, but had left knowing somewhere deep inside that she had no control over what Michael did with his life. If he loved Ben, then she would have to respect that. The most she could hope for was that Brian would use his influence over Michael to try to get Michael to see her point of view.

Brian had been slightly ambivalent telling her the facts as he saw them. He wished Michael didn't have to deal with a positive boyfriend but he also understood that HIV was a fact of life in the gay world. He supposed he had always known that some day one of the members of his small family would have to deal with it in some shape or form. They all knew what Vic was going through. That was why he was a little surprised by Debbie's vehemence against Ben. He would have thought she would be more sympathetic.

As Debbie was getting ready to leave she had asked Brian what he had done to Sunshine. Brian wasn't sure he wanted to answer that question, and had merely replied with another question. What was Sunshine complaining about? Debbie said she just knew that he was mad at Brian. He didn't explain why. She also said she had warned him that Brian could be a fucking asshole. Brian had thanked her for the glowing recommendation and then had slammed the loft door shut behind her.

Now he really had his work cut out for himself. He'd never get Justin into his bed with Debbie telling the kid to stay away from him.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

Brian sauntered into Babylon on Friday night. He saw Michael dancing with Ben and made a perfunctory nod in their direction. He kept on going heading straight for the bar. The fucking Baby Wipes campaign was all mapped out and off his plate. His minions could handle all the mundane crap that was left. He felt elated that it was done, but he was also restless and horny. He wanted a couple of drinks and a certain blond boy ass.

He ordered a double Jack Daniels and a beer chaser. Tossing the Daniels back he glanced around to see Michael and Ben coming towards him. He didn't really want to be bombarded with their happy, dating chatter.

"Hey," Michael greeted him standing on tiptoes to kiss his cheek.

"Hey, yourself," Brian replied. "Ben." He nodded in the professor's direction.

"Brian," Ben said and ordered a couple of beers for him and Michael.

Brian wondered if Ben had told Michael that they had fucked at the White Party. He thought not, since Michael was in such high spirits. He was just as happy if only he and Ben knew about their little escapade. It was old history anyway.

"I hear you and your mom are on the outs," Brian said. He had told Debbie he'd do what he could to patch things up between her and her son.

"Who the fuck told you that?"

"Your mother, of course."

"Christ, she can never keep her goddam mouth shut about anything," Michael griped. "I guess you're supposed to try to get me to come around to her way of thinking." Brian nodded and Michael frowned at him. "And do you think she's right?" Michael whispered as Ben was still talking to the bartender.

Brian thought for a moment. On some level he did agree with Debbie. He wanted Michael to be safe. "No," he said finally, "I told her you were a big boy who could dress himself and everything. Well, almost," Brian added looking at Michael's usual pathetic T-shirt and jeans. "And I told her that you would make your own decisions, so she best learn to live with them."

"You did?" Michael asked beaming his approval. "So what did she say?"

"She left in a huff."

"Shit!"

"She'll get over it eventually. Be patient, Mikey."

Michael continued to scowl. He didn't like being on the outs with his mother. His smile reappeared as Ben kissed him and handed him a beer.

Brian had been scanning the dance floor. He had found the blond head he was looking for. "See ya, boys," Brian said as he finished his beer and headed out onto the floor.

"He must have spotted his next trick," Michael observed as he watched Brian move away.

"A cute blond," Ben responded as he saw where Brian was headed.

"Fuck, not him again." Michael had seen Justin too.

"Who?"

"It's that kid from the diner that I told you about. Everybody thinks he's so fucking cute and sweet. I don't see why Brian wants anything to do with him. He's a fucking baby."

"Looks old enough to me," Ben observed. "Let's dance," he said pulling Michael onto the dance floor. He didn't like Michael's mind always being on Brian.

Brian slowly made his way through the gyrating bodies. He tossed aside several propositions on his way. He knew where he was going and he only wanted one thing, the blond at the end of this trek. He intended to have him too.

As he approached Justin he noticed another twink dancing with the blond. With a glare and a jerk of his head he directed the twink to get lost. The kid scowled but moved away.

Justin noticed the guy leaving and shrugged his shoulders. He kept dancing knowing that somebody else would soon be his partner. He was a good dancer and somebody was always willing to dance with him. Dancing was one of the few joys in his life these days.

Suddenly he felt a presence behind him and felt arms encircle his chest. A warm, slim body rubbed up against him and it felt oh so good.

"Hey," Brian whispered against Justin's ear.

"Hey," Justin responded. It was almost a moan.

Brian continued to rub his hard cock against the boy's luscious ass. Justin leaned into it and Brian almost came in his jeans. He gritted his teeth and fought for control. Nobody affected his body the way this lithe, young creature did.

Brian's hand slid down Justin's chest finally engulfing his package. Justin moaned louder and pushed back against Brian. Brian could feel the hard cock and swollen balls in his hand as he continued to rub and explore.

"Ahhhhhhh," Justin moaned again.

"Backroom," Brian whispered thinking the young man was more than ready.

He felt Justin tense and pull away. What had happened this time? Justin turned and blue eyes burned into his.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" Justin demanded.

"What?" Brian frowned, momentarily at a loss of what more to say.

"Fuck off, and don't ever sneak up on me again." Justin marched away from Brian grabbing another dance partner as he went. They began grinding against each other immediately.

Brian stared in disbelief. Gradually he realized that half the dancers had stopped and were looking at him. Nobody turned him down, but this blond twink had. He couldn't believe what had just happened.

Brian glared at the men who dared to stare at him. He glanced around looking for a likely trick. Another blond caught his eye. He grabbed the guy by the front of his pants and began dragging him towards the backroom. He needed to get his dick sucked. He needed to prove to the unwashed masses that his reputation was still intact, but more than that he needed to reaffirm that he could have anyone he wanted. That was - anyone, except a twink named Justin Taylor.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

Justin reported for work at the diner the next day. He had been shaken by his reaction to Brian on the dance floor. He had gotten so hot and horny that he had barely been able to stand it, and then he had found out that it was that bastard Brian Kinney that had got him all worked up. He vowed to pay the asshole back for every time he had made a fool of him.

The first step had been to leave him cold on the dance floor. He had enjoyed that at some level, but his cock had ached for the man for hours afterward. He couldn't explain his unprecedented reaction to the man. He was everything Justin detested, a sexual predator, an egotistical asshole, a promiscuous blackguard. Yet ... he was funny and charming and so beautiful. He was everything Justin dreamed of. Justin knew he was all mixed up about Brian Kinney, but he also knew that he could never have the man, so he might as well forget him.

-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----~~~~~~~-----

Brian drove down Liberty Avenue. As he approached the diner he looked around for a parking space. He saw one quite close to the diner and pulled in. He shut off the engine of the Jeep and sat there thinking.

It had been his intention to go into the diner and try to make things right with Justin. He knew it might even take a full blown apology to do that. That was the part that was holding him back. He didn't believe in apologies. He didn't believe in regretting things that had been done. You dealt with them and went on. That had always been his belief. Look at his own fucking life. Nobody apologized to him for all the things that had been done to him, and he had got along just fine. He frowned.

He knew he had hurt the kid, Justin. He should start calling him Justin ... or Sunshine. He liked that name. He smiled to himself. He had grown kind of fond of little Sunshine until last night at Babylon. He couldn't believe that the kid had turned him down cold and told him to fuck off in front of the whole club. But he had deserved it. He had treated him like some chew toy, nipping and nibbling at his self-confidence again and again. He hadn't really known the boy well enough to do that, well enough to predict his reaction. And boy had he reacted!

He couldn't quite figure out what was with Justin Taylor. Brian knew he wanted that ass, wanted the kid in his bed, wanted to fuck him senseless. But was that all it was? He could have anybody he wanted, so why did he want this blond kid? Why did he want something he apparently couldn't have? Was it the thrill of the chase and eventual conquest that kept him clambering after the twink? Or was it something else?

Brian thought long and hard about that. He knew his body responded to the kid in a way that it did with very few others. Christ, he merely had to look at the kid and he was hard. And when Justin blasted that sunshine smile of his, Brian knew he would almost come in his pants. Yeah, the kid had lots of sex appeal. In fact he was starting to get hard just thinking about Justin. But there was something else.

He had enjoyed teasing the boy, and not in a malicious way. He liked the way Justin got flustered and blushed so easily. It was charming and ... endearing. Jesus, he was starting to sound like Lindsay. He shook himself to counteract those thoughts.

He looked over at the Liberty Diner. He was pretty sure Justin would be working there now. Was he ready to confront him? He didn't think the diner was a good place for a confrontation. Maybe he should catch Justin at the gym and ask him to go for coffee. Then they could talk in private. Or he could ask him back to the loft. Yeah, like he'd come! Was he actually planning on making a date with this kid?

Brian shivered at that thought. He scowled in the direction of the diner and started the Jeep. There were lots of other fish in the sea and he was going to get some right now. To Hell with Justin Taylor! The baths and a few good, hard fucks were calling to him. He pulled out into traffic and headed for a place he knew, and that knew him.