- Text Size +

After Ted slammed the door in Michael’s face, Michael went the only place he could think of, Brian’s loft. The lights were all off, and since he no longer had the key, he planned to sit on the steps until Brian showed up. He was almost to the front of the building when the guy came out talking on his phone. Michael decided to face his nemesis.

 

Reese stood outside talking to Sal, who had let him know Michael was headed his way, and from the sound of it would ruin Justin and Brian’s time together. Reese stayed in the building until Sal let him know Michael was close enough and then walked out on his phone. He decided to head over to Babylon, hoping Michael would leave, thinking Brian wasn’t home. What Reese didn’t understand about Michael was that the man didn’t get that Brian wasn’t going to be anything that he wished for. Michael wasn’t bad looking, not that Reese cared about him, but the idea of chasing after a guy for half your life just didn’t make any sense to him. Yes, at one time he wouldn’t have said no if Brian had wanted more, but when he realized Brian wasn’t going to slow down, Reese accepted his place as a friend and moved on. He might not be in a relationship, but seeing Brian and Justin together told him eventually he hoped to find someone he could look at the way Brian looked at Justin. Of course, Michael hadn’t even clued in to the fact that there was something different about Brian. And even though Reese hadn’t seen Brian in years, he knew the minute Brian was practically ready to kick his ass for even questioning Justin’s reasons for having Gus. He was happy for Brian, not only for finding his son but for opening his life to Justin, in only a few short days. 

 

Babylon was going strong, and Michael was still following him. He really didn’t know much about Michael, other than what he’d been able to glean from the others. When he and Brian were in college, Brian kept Michael away from him. It was likely Brian knew Michael would have a problem with him, not that Reese would have given a shit, but it was the way Brian seemed to deal with his college life versus his outside of college life. 

 

At the bar, Reese ordered a beer and stood around, waiting to see what Michael would do. He should have called Brian to warn him not to come here, but he doubted Brian had any plans to be anywhere but with Justin tonight. At first, Michael stood at the bar across the room, glaring at him. Michael wasn’t sure how to approach the guy who was trying to rekindle whatever he thought Brian and he had. Michael spotted Emmett coming in the door and decided at least he could get Emmett to stand with him while he explained the facts to the guy. Only Emmett went straight to the bar, almost standing next to the guy and all but ignoring Michael. Which Michael thought would work, because at least Emmett would back him up when he explained the rules of Brian Kinney to the guy.

 

Emmett was standing at the bar getting his drink, toasting to Teddy for showing Blake what was underneath the mild-mannered accountant. Also, he really didn’t want to stay around when it was obvious Blake wanted to show Teddy some appreciation for the way he handled Michael. Something Emmett was sure to hear all about later, but really wanted to come and dance his feet off tonight. He ordered a cosmo, looked around and realized he should have just danced at his apartment tonight when Michael came charging over. I mean seriously, he just wanted to get his groove on, not listen to Michael make his ears bleed at whatever crime Teddy committed for defending his man. Only Michael was headed to the guy a few feet away, and Emmett groaned when the speech started.

 

“We need to talk and you need to listen because whatever it was that you think you and Brian could have, won’t happen. Once he’s had you, you leave. Not come back years later thinking he might bother with you again. I’m only telling you this because Brian hates to be bothered and I’m the one who handles it for him.” Michael told the guy.

 

“Which I’m sure you think you do. But from what I know, Brian has no problem telling people what he wants them to know.” Reese told him, not quite sure why Michael was warning him off of Brian.

 

“You obviously didn’t understand him then, because you keep showing up looking for Brian. I saw you at the loft.” Michael told him.

 

“Then you followed me here. Am I supposed to run crying because Brian Kinney doesn’t want me? Is that how you handle it since he never wanted you?” Reese asked.

 

“You think because you were his piece of ass at college that you know anything! I’ve always been in his life, no matter who else he fucked.” Michael yelled loud enough that the whole bar was now watching him.

 

“No. I think you’re living in some fantasy world where you want to believe Brian is fucking other men because he loves you. Sorry, but usually it doesn’t work like that in the real world.” Reese told him, getting now that Michael thinks it’s him that was keeping Brian away from Michael.

 

“Just stay away from Brian, or you’ll find out who’s important to him,” Michael warned, walking to Emmett and standing next to him.

 

Emmett looked over at the guy and then to Michael, not really getting any of it. He’d never even seen the guy before, and lately, the only person Brian was with was Justin. He waited because he really just wanted to ruin his night with Michael’s rants anyway.

 

“Why don’t they get it? Brian doesn't do relationships.” Michael told Emmett, sending glares over to the hunk who seemed to think it was funny.

 

“Likely because you haven’t figured it out. Brian doesn’t do relationships with you.” Emmett mumbled.

 

“Have you seen Brian? A friend of mine said he took off from work today, but he hasn’t called me. He needs to make sure the author is at my shop tomorrow.” Michael told Emmett.

 

“So you’ve called the publisher?” Emmett asked.

 

“Why would I do that? I told Brian what I expected.” Michael asked, confused.

 

“I don’t know Michael, but usually making sure the author agreed should have been at the top of your list, before you plastered Liberty Avenue with flyers. What are you going to do tomorrow if it’s just you and a mob?” Emmett asked him.

 

“I need to go find Brian.” Michael’s answer to everything, and likely his doom.

 

Emmett texted Brian as Michael ran out of Babylon, worried that Michael would ruin the evening Brian seemed to want with Justin.

 

“How did Brian deal with him?” Reese asked, sliding up next to Emmett.

 

“Honey, it’s the question we ask every day. By the way, I’m Emmett.” 

 

“I know since Brian mentioned you,” Reese told him.

 

“He’s never mentioned you,” Emmett told him, flirting.

 

“We went to college together, and recently he asked me to help with Gus,” Reese told him.

 

“Oh.” Emmett sighs, disappointed.

 

“What was with the sighing?” Reese asked.

 

“I have this thing about no degrees of separation,” Emmett told him.

 

“As in?” Reese asked.

 

“As in you and Brian,” Emmett told him.

 

“So you want to play soccer with me but can’t because Brian and I were once on the same soccer team?” Reese asked, teasing him.

 

“Is that what you call it?” Emmett asked.

 

“Yeah, since we kicked a ball back and forth at each other. No other balls but soccer balls.” Reese told him.

 

“Want to dance?” Emmett asked, smiling.

 

**************************

 

Justin was sound asleep, something Brian wished he could be right now. Leaving Justin in bed, he went to the living room. He didn’t like what Brent implied, that Lindsay had a plan of some kind. It was more important than ever to make sure she couldn’t touch Gus. Or take the smile that Brian loved off Justin’s face.

 

Justin woke up looking for Brian, hearing him in another room. He got up and found Brian sitting on the sofa staring out the window. He sat next to Brian, who lifted his arm and wrapped it around Justin.

 

“What are you thinking about?” Justin asked.

 

“I don’t like not knowing,” Brian told him.

 

“Gus and I could go ahead and go back to Chicago. It’s not like she even knows that you found Gus.” Justin told him.

 

“I don’t want you and Gus somewhere without me,” Brian told him.

 

“Strangely enough, I hate the idea of being away from you too,” Justin whispered.

 

Brian leaned down to kiss Justin, wondering how, in barely a week, Justin had become everything Brian didn’t think he would ever want. The phone started ringing, and when the answering machine picked up, Brian groaned at Mikey’s whining voice, demanding Brian call him. Justin got up and looked out the window to see Michael pacing up and down the sidewalk ranting. Which was cut off by the machine, only to begin again when Michael called back.

 

“Are you going to talk to him?” Justin asked when the answering machine cut off and the phone started up again.

 

“How about we silence the phone, disconnect the answering machine, and go back to bed,” Brian told him, going to do just that.

 

“Briiiian... we need to talk. Make sure you make time when the author…”

 

“He’s sitting on the steps,” Justin told Brian, walking away from the window.

 

“Tomorrow he'll be wishing he never depended on me to do anything for him. Tonight is for us and no one else.” Brian told his blond. 

 

****************************

 

Michael got up after a couple of hours, not understanding why Brian seemed to be missing lately. It didn’t matter, because tomorrow Brian would be there and Michael would make him take time out of his busy schedule to talk to him. It wasn’t until he got home that he realized he didn’t have his keys. Could this night get any worse? He called his mother, but she told him she was busy and that his keys were at her house. If he wanted them he’d need to get her keys and go to her house to get them. Then if that wasn’t bad enough, she expected him to deliver her keys back to her. If Brian had been home Michael could have had him drive him to get his keys.

 

“Michael,” Brent called out, getting out of his car as Michael was still debating what to do since Brian’s phone went straight to voicemail.

 

“Hey, what are you doing out here?” Michael asked, thinking at least Brent could drive him. 

 

“Having the worst night of my life. But now it’s getting better.” Brent told him, moving until he was practically on top of Michael.

 

“I lost my keys and I could use a ride if you wouldn’t mind,” Michael told him, backing up.

 

“I have them, could we go in and talk? I might need your help.” Brent told him, handing him the keys.

 

“Sure. So what happened after I last saw you?” Michael asked, unlocking his door and trying to figure out how Brent got his keys.

 

“I need to explain some things to you, and hopefully you’ll see it the way I do,” Brent said, sitting as close as he could get to Michael when Michael sat on the couch.

 

Michael shifted away, wondering why Brent was invading his space, but it only made Brent move closer. Finally, Michael got up and sat on the chair next to the couch, hoping Brent got the hint.

 

“So what did you need to explain?” Michael asked.

 

“Just understand, I did everything for you, okay? Remember when Mr Kinney’s other friend Lindsay was here?” He asked.

 

“She is not his friend after what she did,” Michael told him.

 

“He really wasn’t a friend to her either. But it’s sort of where I need to start so you can understand what happened and why I did the things I was doing. I don’t want you to think I was using you, even if in the beginning I was. I got to know Lindsay after Brian started treating her like crap for only doing what he wanted. Something I understood because of the way he treats people at work for only doing what he asks. When she told me Brian ruined her marriage and told her he didn’t even want the baby she agreed to have with him, I felt horrible for her and wished I could help her. She came to me when everyone was trying to run her out of town and I let her know if she needed a friend I’d be here for her. I didn’t hear from her for almost a year, then she asked me to just let her know if Brian mentioned her. Which he didn’t. But I worked in the mailroom, so I got the incoming mail and sorted it. Then I noticed he was getting mail from a detective. I opened one and then I called Lindsay to tell her he was looking but hadn’t found her or the baby. After that, we kept in touch, and when the detective would find where she was, I let her know so she could get away from him. She told me she wouldn’t let Brian near the baby he threw her out over. And in truth, seeing him out I agreed no child should be around him.” Brent told him.

 

“At least you kept her from foisting her brat off on Brian,” Michael told him.

 

“How can you say that? She only wanted to protect her baby from Brian.” Brent asked him.

 

“Then she shouldn’t have tricked him into giving her the baby she ran around begging him for. Brian knew it wouldn’t be something I would be happy about.” Michael said, really talking to himself.

 

“Whatever. But see, she eventually asked about you and if you still had the keys to Brian’s place. Which I told her you did, after following you one day and seeing you go in the loft when Brian wasn’t there. She wanted me to see if Brian had any more information. So I managed to get your keys and check for her. Which sounds really bad, but at the time I didn’t know how I would feel about you, and only wanted to help her. Only, as I got to know you, I didn’t like the way I felt like I was betraying you. So I told her last week that I couldn’t keep doing what I was doing to you, and she told me she didn’t need my help anymore. So tonight, I wanted to prove to you how much you mean to me and took your keys one more time. I wanted to get the comics for you, but I ended up getting fired when Brian and his henchman caught me. He’s threatening to sue me for all my earnings for breach of the confidentiality clause we all signed. I need you to tell him not to.” Brent told him.

 

“Why would I do that? You fucked up and expect help from me? The fact that you kept Lindsay away is the only thing you did I could agree with.” Michael told him, pissed that Brent got to see Brian tonight.

 

“He treats you like an annoying child, the name Mikey says it all. Can’t you see I could be so much better for you and would treat you like a prince?.” Brent asked him.

 

“Are you saying you think we could be in a relationship?” Michael asked, trying to figure out why Brent would think he would want anyone but Brian.

 

“We have a lot in common, why wouldn’t we try?” Brent asked.

 

“Because you mean nothing to me. Well, not nothing, but I just don’t see you that way. There is really only one person I want. I’m flattered, but when Brian is ready for us, I want to be available to him and only him.” Michael told him, breaking it as nicely as he could.

 

“He’s a bastard. He treats you like garbage and you’d rather wait for him? I’m here, willing to give you what you want.” Brent told him.

 

“Which has always been and will always be Brian,” Michael said once again, dreaming about the day Brian would be his.

 

Brent sat there wondering how Michael was so blinded by Brian Fucking Kinney. Brent had lost everything, but knew eventually Michael would see that he was the one for him. He got up to leave, not giving up on Michael, but willing to wait until he figured out that what Brent could give him was what he really wanted.

 

“Do you know if Brian is still at the loft?” Michael asked as Brent went out the door. Brent’s shoulders slumped when it seemed Brian was the only thing Michael cared about for now.

 

**********************************

 

Justin and Brian needed to get up early to meet with Mel. With Justin willingly signing over custody, Mel was able to get it in front of a judge faster. They ended up having to leave the loft in the middle of the night by the back door when Michael showed up four times waking them up with the buzzer. 

 

Gus was thrilled to find them sleeping on the sofa in the living room at his grandmother's in the morning and got her and his Aunt Molly to help him make them breakfast. Jen made plans to take Gus with her when Mel called Brian and Justin to let them know it was time to meet her at the courthouse.

 

Justin looked through the paperwork, knowing he agreed to sign it, but hating that Gus’s life was determined by signing him away to Brian. Mel explained to the judge what they wanted to do.

 

“I have one question before I sign this.” The judge commented.

 

“If I’m reading this right, eventually you want Justin to adopt Gus, is there a reason for that?” He asked.

 

“They both want to make sure my ex-partner can’t use Gus for any reason,” Mel told him.

 

“How long has it been since she’s been in contact with Gus?” The judge asked.

 

“She left on his first birthday. That was the last time I saw or heard from her. I didn’t even know her real name.” Justin told him.

 

“But you fought for custody of a child that wasn’t yours?” The judge asked, wanting to understand why they were pushing this through.

 

“The only way he’s not mine is biologically.” Justin told him.

 

“By signing this you’ll be at the mercy of Mr Kinney.” He told Justin.

 

“We plan to raise him together. It’s why we want him to adopt Gus.” Brian told the judge.

 

“Is there a reason you think the mother would be a problem? She’s been gone for so many years.” The judge asked.

 

“Lindsay was always very possessive of Brian. Throughout the time we were together, she did little things to make sure he was still in her life. But nothing as bad as when she tricked him into having a baby. She didn’t care that what she did ruined our relationship. She just assumed that Brian would once again help her out of what she did, by lying to everyone for her. I fell for it, but at that point, I only wanted to get away from her and tossed her out. She ended up stealing money from her sister and taking off. She left the baby with Justin, which I think was so she could make Brian pay for not giving in to her again. Eventually, she’ll want to come back, just to force Brian to give her what she wants from him, which doesn’t have anything to do with Gus.” Mel told him.

 

“What does she want?” Justin asked.

 

“All the things that with Brian being gay wouldn’t be possible,” Mel admitted.

 

“Let’s hope she doesn’t show up when you adopt Gus.” The judge said, signing off and wondering how these people ended up with someone like the mother in their lives.