- Text Size +

Justin could see Daphne trying to find Justin in Gus. While he didn’t have a problem telling Daphne the truth here in person, he wouldn’t do it with Gus able to hear about it.

 

“I’ll explain, just, later.” He assured her.

 

“So do you like going with your Dada to the conventions?” Daphne asked, trusting that Justin would tell her.

 

After putting Gus to bed Daphne poured them both a drink and waited to hear about everything, not just Gus. She only knew Justin lived in Chicago after leaving because she looked up the area code when she heard his message on her answering machine. He wanted to wait to talk when he got here so she waited. Only caring that he was coming to see her. While she understood his reasons, it still hurt to lose her best friend.

 

“What do you want to know first?” He asked her.

 

“Why Chicago?” She asked, easing him in.

 

“At the time, I didn’t want to go anywhere I ever talked about. I did go to New York first but left when I realized the guy I met conned me into believing we had a relationship after he followed me to the place I was renting. It didn’t seem like a big deal, but then we grew up we were not really around people who were different from us economically. I just rented something that reminded me of where we lived, and the guy saw me as an easy mark to support his ass. At least I didn’t give him access to anything, just willingly bought shit when he hinted at it. So I left and went to Chicago this time, not renting something that screamed that I was more than a college student. I didn’t have to work, so instead, I looked into different forms of art. Looking for what kept me interested, and well, comics also gave me a way to tell a story.” He told her.

 

“How did you end up with a kid?” She asked. When really, it was all that was left.

 

He started from when he opened the door and then led into the craziness at the hospital. Making sure to explain a couple of times that none of what Lynn did mattered because, in the end, Gus was his. He loved Daphne even more when she didn’t even blink at why he didn’t fight when he was told that because his name was on the birth certificate it was assumed that he was the father. She just showed the support she always did when it came to anything Justin wanted to do.

 

There was one question he had that he knew she wouldn’t sugarcoat for him. “How are my mom and sister?”

 

“At first, not great. Molly struggled with why you went away, and your mom didn’t want her to think you left not caring that it hurt her. Only, your dad decided Molly wasn’t going to believe any of them could stand by you choosing to live a deviant lifestyle. He didn’t understand that nothing mattered to Molly but that you loved her. At that point your mother left, saying she already lost you, she wasn’t willing to let Craig make Molly hate them both too. When she left, she was not willing to stay around people who supported Craig’s views, which meant losing all her friends, except for my parents, who had dealt with bigots of a different form and weren’t going to ever to be accused of pretty much the same thing. She’s doing really great in real estate. And Molly is happier around kids who don’t give a shit where she came from.” She told him, waiting for him to ask what she can see he was hesitant to ask, but like always, he found a way.

 

“Does she ever ask about me?” He finally asked.

 

“She knows that unless you told me I could, I wouldn’t have answered. But she does say that she deserves never to see you again if that’s what you wanted. Molly tells me all the time that if I ever talk to you, to remind you that she would have run away with you.” Daphne told him, watching the smile grace his lips.

 

“Mollusk just misses me covering for her. She was really good at the ‘I’m too small to do that’” He joked.

 

“So, do I get to come to sit next to the creator of the hit Rage? You’re a star, Baby.” Daphne joked.

 

“As long as you don’t mind being ogled by a bunch of preteens, which would probably triple the guys at my booth,” Justin told her, knowing it was pretty much the truth.

 

“Since the con artist seems a step up from my latest dates, you just raised the bar,” Daphne told him, making them both practically fall off the couch laughing.

 

Brian could honestly say when even Ted questioned what we did to deserve following Mikey into teenage hell, that they were getting this shit done and abandoning Mikey to get a drink or ten. Emmett, who tried to find the good in everything, gave up as the teens proved this couldn’t get any tackier by showing up and pretending that their out of shape bodies were enhanced in spandex.

 

“No Baby, spandex is a privilege. One even I don’t indulge in unless I’ve been to the gym religiously for a month.” Emmett informed the deluded and watched when apparently he was scarier to them than the bloodthirsty monster eating a planet on the screen. "They can’t say I didn’t warn them. Which means we need to get this shit done and get a cosmo in my hand to help me forget I got roped into the ‘Mikey wants, we deliver’ society. Can’t wait to see what created acne hard-ons.” Emmett shook his head, seeing future victims in every direction.

 

Brian searched for the place they were supposed to get the guy to sign fifty comics. Praying that he didn’t have to flirt with some old guy to convince him to sign the shit. That was more Emmett’s speed. Granted, George wasn’t as bad as they imagined, in fact, he was one of the few Brian actually would share a drink with, Blake too, except water was on the menu.

 

“I see it, but the line is almost to us,” Blake commented, making them realize that the kids around them were waiting to get to that booth. 

 

Brian looked for Mikey. He had taken off, saying he just wanted to look around before he waited with them to get what he needed. Only to see him stacking comics in a pile, which only said that what they were doing was going to end up paying for more shit for Mikey, not the bills he couldn’t pay. Brian's patience had reached the end. It didn’t matter how much Deb yelled or Mikey demanded, he had a life that wasn’t supporting Mikey any longer.

 

“Give me the comics,” Brian demanded, not that any of them weren’t happy to hand them over.

 

“What are you going to do?” Emmett asked, knowing the look he was seeing.

 

“I sure as hell am not going to stand in a line for three hours while Mikey wastes more money that he could put into taking care of the fucking shop he plays in,” Brian told them tilting his head in Mikey’s direction.

 

“Hand them to me and tell me what you want done. Deb and Michael can scream all they want at me, my patients are detoxing and it’s really nothing new to me.” Blake told him, once again making Brian wonder why Ted took so long dragging Blake home.

 

“Start at the beginning of the line and give them to every kid until they’re gone, while I go get something,” Brian told him, heading to the ATM and taking out as much as Mikey asks for most times. Mikey would have to fight to buy what he wanted. He walked straight to the front of the booth and managed to get the attention of the girl who was standing by the side of it. Then stopped when he recognized her, looking at the table and wondering if this was a sign. Justin happened to be the guy he used to get rid of the headache dealing with Mikey gave him. 

 

“Damn, I thought maybe my luck was changing, but then I guess I can’t beat the guy everyone came to see.” She told him.

 

“I really didn’t come to see him, but apparently my luck is getting better lately.” I commented, watching him talk to groups of kids answering their questions and signing anything they handed him. “He doesn’t care if they don’t have the comic?” He asked.

 

“He only makes sure they actually read it. For him, that’s a fan. In the end, they buy it when they can, so he makes sure to show he cares about everyone, it’s just the way he is.” She told him.

 

Brian worried for a second that maybe he read it wrong, only she cleared it up and brought his world back into focus.

 

“It’s so weird to know we lost touch for years, but I guess when you’re best friends, time doesn’t change it.” She told him, holding back the laugh when she read him correctly.

 

“Who’s kid did he have at the airport? By the way, I’m not a stalker, I just remember the ones who I almost run over trying to get home.” Brian told her.

 

“His son, Gus.” Was all she would say, which peaked his interest that she backed off at that question.

 

The kid in question poked his head up looking for his dad before sitting back under the table. Daphne followed Brian’s gaze, then looked oddly at Brian before shaking her head at whatever she was thinking. 

 

“I better get back there, time to watch the boys drool again, which I must admit was fun.” She laughed.

 

“I wanted to see if Justin would mind giving the kids something to spend with?” Brian said quickly when she started to leave.

 

“Why would you want to do that?” She asked.

 

“Let’s just say a friend lied to us and the kids using the money to out-buy him would just make my day.” Brian told her.

 

“Never something I have a problem with- Revenge.” She said, taking the bills from him.

 

Brian watched as the teens practically tripped over themselves when Daphne walked over and whispered in Justin’s ear. Justin looked over at Brian when Daphne pointed to him and Brian’s Comic Con suddenly got better as Justin came over to him.

 

“Unlike Daphne, I need to know this isn’t going to end up causing problems for the kids.” He said, waiting for Brian to answer him.

 

“I promise, the money is mine. The only trouble will be watching a grown man cry when the kids manage to get anything he can’t afford but will buy anyway. It makes it less likely I’ll end up paying his bills. Here, if there are any problems have them call my company and ask for me, Brian Kinney.” Brian told him, handing Justin a business card.

 

“Well, thanks. Even if it’s revenge for you, the kids gain from it.” Justin told him, starting to walk away.

 

“How about a drink when you’re done?” Brian asked, wanting more time.

 

“Dada, I need to pee.” Gus jumped up and down, smiling at Brian before only looking at Justin.

 

“I’ll take him, the kids are waiting for you.” Daphne said, picking up a bouncing Gus.

 

“I can come back when your done, if you want to meet.” Brian offered, before Justin could run off.

 

“Sorry, but after this, it’s back to being a dad again.” Justin told him.

 

“I can watch him. Take a night off.” Daphne told Justin, winking to Brian.

 

Brian started to think he came on too strong when Justin didn’t answer, but eventually got the answer he’d been hoping for.

 

“I get done at nine. If you’re here then we’ll get that drink.” Justin told him.

 

“And stay out as long as you two want.” Daphne added, as she walked off with Gus.

 

When Justin walked back to the kids, Brian watched Gus chatting away with Daphne. It was the first time he let himself wonder what the baby Lindsay took off with would be like. Then remembered why he came up here in the first place. It didn’t take long for the kids to run to the tables, and the guys only stayed long enough to watch Michael get his ass kicked by preteens before leaving for the drinks they wanted. Brian waved them off before calling Cynthia and asking her to look into Justin Cole, and covered it by saying he saw potential in offering his services. Only to have her remind him the only thing she cared about right now were the services her husband gave her.