- Text Size +

After talking with Amy, Brian and Justin left with John and Peter. Claire wasn’t losing custody of the boys, just separating from them temporarily in hopes of helping them find their way back to being a family. Brian didn’t tell her she was likely not going to get Claire to believe anything she did was wrong. Justin called ahead and explained the situation to his father and was told they would be happy to help with the boys. Once again Brian worried about how his problems seemed to end up in the Taylors laps again. Cara was waiting at the door to meet the boys and introduced them to Colin and Gus. Both boys were confused at their welcome by strangers but did their best to behave, which Brian was thankful for. Craig called Brian and Justin, saying he had something he needed to talk to them about but welcomed Peter and John before leaving them with Cara and Jen.

 

“What happened?” Craig asked.

 

“My sister was proving she learned child rearing from my mother. Although she at least made sure they had food, and as far as I could tell they aren’t being abused the way I was.” Brian told him, laying it out there since they were going to need all the help they could get.

 

“Are the boys being taken away from her?” Craig asked.

 

“No. But it’s likely because the boys weren’t being hurt, just ignored.” Justin told him.

 

“This means what for you two?” Craig asked.

 

“Not really sure, but we have permission to take them with us until Claire shows she can do better,” Brian told him.

 

“Which won’t be easy with the schedule you two have ahead of you. You’re both going to be busy in the next few months with Brian’s new campaign, Gus would have to share both of you with the boys, and the custody case is still going on.” Craig pointed out.

 

“What else can we do, Dad? If we don’t take them, then it’s foster care. Neither of us wants that to happen just because it’s inconvenient for us.” Justin told him.

 

“You still have to think about yourselves and Gus. Which isn’t you both being selfish. That’s why Cara and I have an offer that will help everyone.” Craig told them.

 

“What?” Brian asked.

 

“Let Cara and I take the boys. We’re established here, and it will make it so there aren’t huge changes in the boys' lives. Before you argue, this will also help us convince Deb to quit the diner, because we’ll need help with a new baby and two boys.” Craig told them.

 

“Then that leaves you and Cara dealing with something that has nothing to do with you.” Brian pointed out.

 

“Unlike you two, we aren’t needed to do other things. Let me explain why I think this would be a better solution, okay? We really care about Deb and about both of you, which means we care about anything that affects all of you. With what Deb’s son and your sister are doing, I want to be able to help Deb when it comes to the new baby, but with her job at the diner, she can’t make a case that she could take care of a baby on her own. If she comes to work for us, then we can make sure her situation would be ideal when the baby arrives. She could bring the baby here and still have a job to take care of herself. We’ll be offering her enough that she wouldn’t need assistance to take on the baby. But you know her, she isn’t going to take a job from us if she thinks we’re offering her charity. If we take on Peter and John, she knows the job is real.” Craig told them.

 

“If Claire gets them back…” Brian said, sounding doubtful about that.

 

“Then she does, but with the understanding that our home is open to the boys when they need us,” Craig told them.

 

“I don’t want Peter or John to think I abandoned them,” Brian told him.

 

“We’ll explain to them that as a family we all look out for the ones we love. If they want to stay with you then we’ll work out together how to do that for them.” Justin told him.

 

“Brian, allowing them to stay with us means fewer changes in their lives. They won’t have to switch schools unless they agree to it, and Cara gets to see what we have to look forward to when Colin gets older.” Craig joked.

 

“Let’s explain it to John and Peter, along with the offer that we have no problem if they want to stay with us,” Justin told Brian.

 

Brian walked in the kitchen to see John and Peter being fed by Deb, while Cara was on the phone. Cara nodded to Craig when she hung up.

 

“We should have an answer by tomorrow if they can stay with us,” Cara told Craig.

 

“Us?” John asked looking to Brian.

 

“I thought we were going to stay with you?” Peter asked.

 

“You can if that’s what you both want to do. We’re just looking into all the options.” Justin told him.

 

“Because you didn’t want to be saddled with us,” John said, looking disappointed.

 

“That’s not why. My wife and I think it would be easier for both of you to stay with us. Brian and Justin have a hectic schedule coming up and I suggested you both stay here. Their work is going to take them away from home, which will make it complicated for them to be able to get you two back and forth. Cara and I have room in our home and will also be able to be here if this happens again with your mother.” Craig told them.

 

“Why would you care about us?” John asked.

 

“Because I didn’t care enough about Justin at one time and know that what I did hurt him. I was lucky that I managed to figure out what was important before Justin completely gave up on me. I also know nothing should ever be more important than taking care of the people we love. Which includes both of you, because Brian does love you, even if you don’t believe it. For me and Cara having you here isn’t a burden but a chance to show you how a real family treats one another. In the end, it’s still yours and Peter’s decision where you’ll be. If you want to stay with Brian and Justin, they are both willing to do what you need but staying here you both will get a chance to know us, and know that if there are any problems our door is always open to you and Peter.” Craig told them.

 

“You think she’ll get us back?” Peter asked.

 

“If she does what the state requires, then likely yes. But you’ll also know you have a safety net and people you can trust right here. Brian and I won’t be abandoning you, but what my father suggests makes sense because you're dealing with a lot of changes right now.” Justin told them.

 

“I don’t understand why my mom acts as she does,” Peter said in a small voice.

 

“I wish I had an answer for you, but the reasons people do things are never as simple as we like to believe. One thing I do know is that change is possible if someone wants it enough.” Craig tells them.

 

“What if my mom doesn’t?” John asked.

 

“Then I’ll do what I can to show you that we will,” Brian told them.

 

“What about my dad? You said he didn’t leave because of us, but he never called again after he left.” John asked.

 

“We’ll get the answer to that when I find him,” Brian promised.

 

“We can stay here. But what if we don’t like it?” Peter questioned.

 

“Then you’ll come to stay with Brian and me,” Justin told them.

 

Emmett showed up with Reese a couple of hours later, with the information on John Townsend. His situation wasn’t one where he could take the boys, but he wanted contact with them. Reese managed to get out of him that he was barely scraping by, which was actually because he sent every cent he could to Claire for the boys. Brian wanted to offer to help him, but John was a proud man and wouldn’t use Brian the way Claire had been. Craig offered him a job to help him out, and so the boys would get to know their father. Brian made sure John understood that the boys would stay with them until he got on his feet. Brian wanted the boys to feel the love the Taylor family was giving him and Gus before another change was made to their lives. 

 

Justin arranged for them to stay at a hotel for the night. He wanted to make sure Brian could have time alone with the boys, and give them a chance to know the Brian he knew. Gus was thrilled to have his cousins hang out with him. Justin also wanted to give them a chance to decide what they wanted without feeling like their lives were being decided for them. What his father offered made sense, but what the boys wanted had to be considered too.

 

“Grandma knew about Gus, but how did Justin get involved?” John asked.

 

“Justin was raising Gus as his son. The mother took off and left Gus with him.” Brian told him.

 

“So Justin brought him to you?” John asked.

 

“He didn’t know he did at the time. We just met and after a while figured out that Gus was my son. Then I realized I wanted the father too.” Brian told him, smiling.

 

“Why does Michael keep saying you were using Justin to get Gus?” Peter asked.

 

“When did he say that?” John asked.

 

“When Mom screamed at him about what they were supposed to do with the kid he convinced her to have. He told her Uncle Brian and he planned for Brian to do what it took to get Gus away from Justin. Then him and Uncle Brian would be together and she’d have what she wanted.” Peter told them.

 

“What did she want?” Justin asked.

 

“Michael said he’d make sure Uncle Brian gave her anything she wanted the day she signed the baby over to them. Mom’s not big on supporting herself.” Peter told him.

 

“Which I don’t get, because as much as Grandma and Mom complain about you, they don’t seem to mind using what you work for to support themselves. I mean you came from the same place but you didn’t let it drag you down. Yet they use it as an excuse for everything.” John told him.

 

“I wanted more in life,” Brian told him.

 

“I guess we have that in common,” John replied.

 

“What do you do Justin?” Peter asked when everyone got quiet.

 

“I write the comic Rage,” Justin told him.

 

“NO WAY!! That’s like our favorite comic.” Peter screeched.

 

Brian laughed when they bombarded Justin with questions. He liked seeing the boys act like boys for a change. Justin worked his magic and the boys managed to stop worrying for now.