- Text Size +

Justin was standing around, waiting as the last stragglers came by, wanting an autograph, or just to ask about anything. He was nervous. Not because he expected anything, just about Gus not being with him for the first time. Even with putting himself out in the world, Gus was still a part of his new experiences. Justin knew his life was going to change when Gus needed to go to school. He was prepared for times they wouldn’t spend their days together, he just thought it would be later. Letting go and forcing himself to see this as something positive, actually going out with someone, was a step towards his own growth. Two other authors came over to see how things went in Justin’s booth. They were telling him all about seeing some guy trying to fight the teens over comics and losing.

 

Michael’s plans, ones that he worked out years ago at these conventions, went up in smoke. No one knew Cons the way Michael did. The fans always ran to the booths first, which left him the chance to browse for anything he wanted to get. He’d spent years deciding what he needed to complete each collection. This year was perfect, while his friends, who had disappeared without telling him, held his place in line, Michael would show up in time to meet the guy. And he could put away his things before Ted got on his ass again about his expectation of Brian to pull his ass out of the fire. Like Ted understood the comic business. In the end, Michael ignored him, because it suited him. Brian would help him out, he always had. It was what he expected.

 

Michael couldn’t believe he got kicked out because of a bunch of kids. The security guy told Michael to leave when he tried to get the comics he was still deciding if he wanted to buy out of the hands of the kid who grabbed them, not understanding the pile wasn’t for sale until Michael was finish deciding. While he was trying to explain this to the kid, others were there going through and taking the comics, like they had the right to dig through the pile, when it was obviously put aside for him. Michael tried to get the comics back, only to have the kids attack him. The guy running the table didn’t even defend Michael, saying that until they were paid for they were fair game. So he was left outside, waiting around for Brian and the guys to get what he brought them to do for him. At first, Michael stewed when Brian didn’t answer his phone, but the conventions were loud and it wasn’t like Brian and the guys were going to get what Michael wanted for a few hours anyway. He limped off, looking for something to eat, calculating the time he expected the guys to be done with what he wanted. When he returned, the guy at the door still wouldn't let him in and so Michael stood out front as the convention went from people streaming in and out to mostly just out. The crowd had lessened enough that there shouldn’t be any reason Brian or the guys wouldn’t hear his call. The only one who answered was Emmett, and the noise in the background told Michael that once again his friends took off without telling him where they went. Well, they would all hear from him exactly how he felt about that. After they handed over the comics he sent them to get signed. 

 

Brian left the loft when Emmett told him Michael was on the warpath. He covered for Brian at least until Michael searched Babylon, not finding him. Mikey would be better off staying away from Brian tonight. Because there was none of Brian’s usual sympathy for Mikey left in him. Which also brought up the question of where to take Justin. Certainly not the usual places, due to the likelihood of them being interrupted when Michael found them in his search. Brian thought about it and didn’t see any reason not to go to an out of the way bar that was mostly known for food and wine, but still offered harder fare if you wanted it. The plus was that Michael wouldn’t even think to look for Brian there. Which made him wish he had opened his company in a different city. Something which would have gotten him away from the problems his two best friends had caused him.

 

Justin was waiting, still talking to people outside when Brian pulled up. For once Brian was earlier than usual, which gave him time to figure out why this was starting to sound more like a date with each of his choices. Brian got out of the car and liked that Justin noticed him right away, which meant he’d been looking for him. They were in the car and on their way quickly after Justin excused himself from the conversation the others were having to leave with Brian. Justin looked around the place Brian picked and ordered food and wine while Brian ordered a beer to start.

 

“Sorry, Gus’s snacks aren’t really enough after a few hours,” Justin told him, after ordering.

 

“I’m glad we didn’t go to the places I normally haunt since the food runs to peanuts,” Brian said, for the first time not sure what to do.

 

“Where do you normally go?” Justin asked, forcing himself to get past his own social deficiency since his world really contained a four year old and teens to almost adults when he was normally out.

 

“Mostly to the same bar, club, and diner,” Brian told him.

 

“Doesn’t it get, I don’t know, tedious? I spent a lot of time barely leaving my apartment, and when I did, suddenly my apartment was no longer the haven I thought it was.” Justin explained, remembering after he and Gus started to go places how strange it was not being happy to stay locked in all day.

 

“Until recently I never thought much about it,” Brian told him.

 

“My life before my son was almost reclusive. I really didn’t care if I missed out on the things that had seemed so important to me at one time. I got tired of the disappointment that putting myself out there caused. It wasn’t until Gus came in my life that I re-evaluated everything, not wanting him to miss experiencing everything. Sorry, I’m sure you're not interested in my kid.” Justin said, realizing that Gus was all he talked about.

 

“At least you know he should have been important to you. If I ever find… have, a kid, all that will matter to me is that he or she gets everything I can give them.” Brian said, almost wanting to talk to someone about his search.

 

“I just remember finally figuring out love existed when they put him in my arms. It made it easier for me to leave the bubble I had created around me.” Justin told him, barely waiting when the food arrived. “Once again seeing what being a single father does to your life. Eating was no longer when I wanted, but between feeding him.” Justin told him, waiting for Brian to get tired of hearing about Gus.

 

“What about his mother?” Brian asked since there had been no mention of her.

 

“She barely made it a year before taking off and never contacting me again. It wasn’t like we were in a relationship, just raising Gus. I stuck around where we lived for the next year, but Gus needed his own room so I bought a house, for when we aren’t doing conventions.” Justin told him, keeping it pretty much the truth.

 

“Her family hasn’t even heard from her?” Brian asked.

 

“Neither of us were in contact with our families. We never even talked about it. If she had a family I doubt they were close, since no one ever visited her.” Justin told him.

 

“Did she know you were gay, maybe that’s why she left?” Brian asked as if Justin needed him to help him.

 

“Let’s just say, our lives just crossed and Gus was the result. She didn’t have any misconceptions about me or her role in my life.” Justin said, sitting back after eating.

 

“Understand when I ask this, it’s more seeing the kids who show up and hang out at a friend’s place of business. It might sound stereotypical of me, but you really don’t scream ‘comic geek’. What got you involved in comics?” Brian asked, getting the hang of the conversations Ted said happened when you go out on a date.

 

“Art was always my passion. When I left my parents house, college wasn’t in the cards. It was more trying to find a place I could call home. Sitting around by myself meant being in my head too much, and way too much silence around me. I could turn on the TV or the radio, but it wasn’t like they were making conversation with me. I remember a day when there was nothing to do, and then realizing I hadn’t said a word in days. I realized I wanted to work with something where you can carry on a conversation, even if it was with comic characters.” Justin told him.

 

“Wouldn’t it have been easier to walk outside?” Brian asked, thinking it’s what he did when the walls were closing around him.

 

“I’m sure it would have. But at the time I didn’t want to chance someone thinking I wanted more than to exercise my vocal cords.” Justin answered.

 

“What your describing, in some ways sounds more like a real vacation to me than any trip I took to get away,” Brian tells him.

 

“It felt like one when I started. I never had many friends growing up, and I spent a lot of time in my head. But my parent's lives meant having to carry on conversations with people constantly. So when I got away, at first I liked my time being my own and not having to talk about things that really meant nothing to me.” Justin told him.

 

“What made you want a kid if you liked the way your life was?” Brian asked, knowing he really only searched for Lindsay because he didn’t want any kid to be raised by her.

 

“I didn’t know I did, but when they put him in my arms, he became all I wanted. I was lucky that his mother ended up realizing that being a mother wasn’t what she wanted, and skipped out on us. I still have problems letting Gus out of my sight, because I know one day he’s going to want to know why she left, and I really don’t have an answer for him. But he'll always know it's not something he has to worry about from me. One day she told me she had to go out of town. I didn’t realize she meant for good. I’ll never let him know it was on his first birthday. So what about you, what made you want to go into advertising?” Justin asked, to get away from any more questions about his son. He'd lie through his teeth though to protect Gus.

 

“I’m good at what I do, and I wanted a life different from the one I had growing up.” Brian left it there because nothing about his childhood would make this night not go down in flames.

 

“Okay, my turn to be stereotypical. What were you doing at Comic Con?” Justin asked.

 

“Strangely enough, coming to see you, to try to convince you to sign comics,” Brian told him.

 

“Which you didn’t, so what happened?” Justin asked.

 

“A friend of mine owns a comic shop. Although he treats it like a playground and not a business. I’m telling you that so you understand why my friends and I were there. He tends to take what he makes and spend it on things he wants, without taking care of the normal things, like the rent, bills, and paying his vendors. Which means constantly coming to me to help him keep his business out of the red. Him going to the convention though wasn’t for his business since anytime he can get to a Con, he does. Only he got this idea that we should help him get autographed copies of your comics that he could sell.” Brian told him.

 

“Which in twenty years might make the comics worth more. But right now my signature really doesn’t raise the value enough that he could have sold them for much more than he could normally sell them. Also, with me being here signing comics, the people who want autographed copies already have them. He would have been smarter to get you guys to bring merchandise like shirts or action figures, not the comics. I also wouldn’t have signed more than one or two per person, since it takes too much time away from all the other people waiting.” Justin told him.

 

“At first my friends and I were willing to help. But then I watched him piling up comics to buy while we were waiting in the line he should have been in. And I suddenly realized it was time for him to sink or swim with his business. Ready to go?” Brian asked after the plates were clear.

 

When the waiter brought the check, Justin grabbed it and handed it back with his card. “I ordered more than you,” Justin explained.

 

“I asked you,” Brian said, not really used to having someone else pick up the tab.

 

“Consider it my thank you for a new experience for me,” Justin told him, also taking care of the tip.

 

“What new experience?” Brian asked.

 

“A date. Something I didn’t even get with the asshole who pretended we had a relationship.” Justin told him.

 

“Do you need to get back?” Brian asked, not ready to call it a night.

 

“I’m not really much into crowds, especially after the convention,” Justin said, willing to end tonight but actually wanting to spend more time with Brian.

 

“I could show you around Pittsburgh.” Brian offered.

 

“I was actually raised here,” Justin told him.

 

“Anything that interests you, we could go do,” Brian told him, surprised at himself for suggesting something other than his loft, but remembering who would likely show up.

 

“Most of the museums and art galleries are closed,” Justin answered, not being able to think of anything they could do.

 

“I could let you see what my art department does,” Brian said, thinking it was one place Mikey couldn’t just walk in.

 

“I’d actually like that,” Justin told him.

 

Justin thought the location was strange, and when Brian told him it was once a bathhouse, he couldn’t contain the laugh.

 

“Do you use that to entice your clients?” Justin asked, smiling.

 

“You know, maybe we should add that to the packets we send out. Along with a new mission statement ‘Kinnetik will meet ALL your needs’.” Brian joked, showing Justin the boards.

 

“I should have misspent my youth, then I could have broadened my horizons,” Justin told him, thinking a bathhouse would have definitely broadened them. 

 

“Everyone should have a misspent youth,” Brian told him, standing behind him, trapping Justin between him and the desk.

 

Justin turned around, sitting on the desk and letting his hands run up Brian’s chest. It wasn’t like he wanted this night to end without at least knowing what Brian’s lips felt like. Brian leaned down, a breath away from Justin’s lips, waiting for him to decide where this was going. Justin closed the space between them, nipping at first, before licking into Brian’s mouth. Justin’s hands were busy, wanting to feel what the clothes hid from his eyes, loving the play of muscles as his hands reached the skin. When Brian left his lips, it was only long enough to take Justin’s shirt off, before nipping and sucking Justin’s earlobe. When Brian’s hands moved to Justin’s pants, Justin knew he needed to tell Brian something.

 

“Blow jobs are the extent of my experience,” Justin said, embarrassed.

 

“I’ll take care of you,” Brian promised, wanting to make sure Justin remembered this for the rest of his life.

 

Brian could at least do better than Murph’s desk. Since he could give Justin a bed that wouldn’t have Mikey interrupting. Justin followed Brian to his office, thinking the desk would be a good way that Brian would always remember him. But the sofa was Brian’s destination. Their clothes disappeared between kisses and touches. Brian didn’t rush Justin, instead, he made sure nothing on the man went untouched. Justin thought he’d had decent blow jobs, but nothing compared to what Brian’s mouth could do. And the fingers Brian teased him with before breaching him took away any fear of what it would be like when it was Brian’s cock. Brian backed off when Justin wanted to taste him too, and the lush lips that wrapped around his cock outdid the dream Brian had about them the night before. Brian had to stop when Justin showed he excelled at blow jobs, wanting to feel the tightness his fingers told him awaited him. Brian laid Justin on his back, letting the blond put the condom on him. He raised Justin’s legs over his shoulders, pressing forward slowly, stopping only when he was fully engulfed. The pain was all Justin could feel at first. He knew it got better, but that didn’t help when all he wanted was for Brian to get out of him.

 

“It hurts,” Justin said, trying not to whimper.

 

“It’s part of it,” Brian told him, pulling out while watching Justin’s face.

 

As Brian pulled out, Justin didn’t want to stop. Brian thrust slowly back in and watched as Justin’s face went from pain to awaking pleasure. As he pulled out and thrust back, he waited for Justin to start moving with him before going faster. It wasn’t long before Justin moved his legs to wrap around Brian’s waist and used them to pull him back in when he pulled out. Justin stroked his cock when he needed to cum, and did minutes later while Brian hammered into him, finishing behind him. They didn’t talk while they both recovered.

 

Brian caught his breath, thinking there was more he wanted to show Justin. “I need to show you the best part of this office,” Brian said, as he pulled Justin behind him to the bathroom and into the shower that would have to do for tonight. 

 

Brian woke up on his sofa without Justin, who had still been there when he fell asleep. He looked at the time, barely five in the morning, and noticed the note sitting on the table. Picking it up he didn’t look at what fell out when he opened it, just read the very brief note.

 

Brian,

 

Thanks for everything.

 

Justin.

 

Picking up the small card that fell out, he discovered Justin left his business card behind, the way he seemed to have left Brian. Which normally Brian preferred, but for some reason didn’t like when Justin did it. He didn’t know why since they didn’t know each other.