- Text Size +

Brian wanted to meet with John Townsend before he saw his sons, and asked Justin to let him do it alone. It wasn’t that Brian thought John would have a problem with Justin and his relationship; he knew it was Claire who really had the problem. Claire played to her audience throughout their lives. Alone, she acted as if she supported Brian’s lifestyle, but would change her opinion to fit her audience. Brian was still trying to figure out how it worked between her and Michael, who both wanted to be center stage for their audience. 

 

John walked into Brian’s office, still the humble man he was when Claire trapped him into marriage. Brian knew Claire only saw John as a means to get out from under their parents. Before Claire, John had always been, if not a strong man, at least one who was well-liked in their neighborhood. He had plans to go to college and to get out of the neighborhood as Brian did. John hadn’t joined in with Claire when he found out that Brian was gay, instead, he acted like it didn’t change the relationship he and Brian had when in the same room. It’s why Brian was willing to give him the chance to be with his sons. Spending time with the boys had helped Brian to see that they needed attention. Which was the one thing Claire, being self-centered, couldn’t give them.

 

“How are my boys?” John asked, sitting down.

 

“Both are doing well right now. They want to see you.” Brian told him.

 

“I feel like I’ve failed them.” He answered Brian.

 

“They thought you didn’t want anything to do with them,” Brian told him.

 

“And I let them think that because it was easier than dealing with Claire and her tantrums. Which doesn’t excuse me for not at least trying to see them. Do they hate me?” John asked.

 

“It’s the reverse, they think you hate them,” Brian told him.

 

“Which I’m sure my absence made it easier for them to believe. How bad was it for them?” John asked.

 

“Claire didn’t abuse them physically, and she took care of physical needs. But like our parents, she was vacant when it came to anything else.” Brian answered.

 

“Is she fighting you on this?” He asked.

 

“So far she isn’t willing to admit she did anything wrong. The boys were fed, clothed, and had a roof over their heads. Which to her fulfilled her duty. Right now she’s pregnant, and banking on the baby to do what she tells the boys you didn’t do for them.” Brian told John.

 

“But she will likely find some way to blame all her problems on you. She spent our whole marriage blaming you for her not getting anywhere in life. She became obsessed that you should have paid for our lives. It caused her to throw me out when I told her that instead of whining she should get off her ass and do what you did.” John shrugged.

 

“She thinks this baby is going to do that for her, which caused her to leave John and Peter alone and this whole situation to happen,” Brian told him.

 

“Why aren’t they staying with you?” He asked.

 

“We left the decision up to the boys, and right now my partner’s father and stepmother can offer them the stability my life can’t. My business is about to kick up into high gear, taking me away from the states right now. And while our son is still young and can go with Justin and me, John and Peter have school and social services to deal with. Claire isn’t going to lose custody; what she’s done isn’t the worst neglect they’ve seen, but she didn’t help herself by threatening the boys in front of the caseworker.” Brian informed John.

 

“With Joan?” He asked.

 

“Of course. But you also need to know Claire constantly tells John that you wanted her to have an abortion, and like my mother, how she refused to do it. Making her sound as if she saved him when you wished he didn’t exist.” Brian said, still reeling from hearing it out of Claire’s mouth.

 

“I didn’t want a baby when Claire first told me, but I never once asked that of her. My parents weren’t happy about my irresponsibility, but never once was that brought up as a way to deal with what Claire and I did.” John admitted.

 

“I’m sure it was having you linked to my family that your parents didn’t like.” Brian told him.

 

“Not many in the neighborhood wanted any link to your family. But at first, I didn’t see the Claire I ended up marrying. She managed to make me believe she wasn’t like your mother or father, and in a way, I felt sorry for her for the way no one wanted anything to do with her. I befriended her hoping to help her, then thought I could love her in the way she needed. I felt like a hero in her eyes. Something that I never felt like before or after we were married. I stayed for the boys, but eventually left for them. They didn’t need to see in their home turn into what you and Claire had to live with growing up, and I was close to showing that to them. I knew if I didn’t get out and get some help, I might become the man I despised for making Claire who she was.” John said, looking down at the floor, ashamed to admit it.

 

“Did you ever…?” Brian stopped, not wanting to say what John already knew the old man was like.

 

“No, but I wanted to, and that made me leave. I was scared that I could even think that, and scared that I wanted to lash out at the boys for my mistakes.” He told Brian.

 

“That’s the difference between you and my father. He saw it as his right. What I need to know is are you still scared? Because you will have to deal with Claire.” Brian asked, wanting John to realize how different that made John from Jack.

 

“I got help and I refuse to let the boys ever think they have to pay for our mistakes. Now I just need to show them that I won’t make another one where they are concerned. It’s easier now because I know the real Claire, and now I won’t fall into the traps she sets.” He told him.

 

“The boys need to know they have safety nets; which they didn’t until now. They didn’t think they could depend on me either, which is why they didn’t try to get any help.” Brian told him.

 

“Then why are they staying with this Craig Taylor?” He asked.

 

“After talking about it with my partner, Justin, and his father Craig, we all agreed that less change happening in their lives would be better. Craig lives in Pittsburgh, along with his wife, and Justin’s mother, who are all willing to be there to help with the boys. Craig is working on convincing Deb, the grandmother of Claire’s baby, to help out. The boys need to see what a real family can be like, and know that they are now and always will be, a part of that family. Justin, Gus, and I don’t live in Pittsburgh, and as I mentioned before we both have other commitments that wouldn’t give the boys the security they need when everything in their lives is upside down right now. It also means my son wouldn’t get the attention from Justin and I that we want him to have.” Brian said, to give John a reason to see the Craig he did.

 

“You believe your… Justin’s family, is the answer?” He asked.

 

“My… Our family, has proven time and time again that the only thing they want is to love the family. The boys won’t feel like intruders in their lives because no one sees them as anything but two boys who need to be shown a different way families operate. Something Craig Taylor has done by becoming the father he once was to Justin, before he let Justin being gay be the only thing he saw.” Brian told him.

 

“He told me about what he did to Justin and the life he missed because of his willful blindness.” John told Brian.

 

“I’m sure he told you to make you see leaving the boys to a woman you couldn’t live with was one of your biggest mistakes. It’s something you are going to have to help them understand. I know you had your own difficulties to deal with, but in the end, you walked away from your responsibility to them. They need you to give them a reason to believe that you won’t do that to them again.” Brian tells him.

 

“I don’t plan to do it again, but I also never wanted to feel like I owe others for the things I get.” He said, still worried about it.

 

“Craig doesn’t think you owe him more than helping him and his wife with your sons. The job is real, and dependent on you to keep it. If it makes you feel better, once you’re on your feet you can pay me rent for the loft you’ll be using. Which doesn’t cost me a thing because I own it. Craig and I are not helping you for any reason other than that your sons want you to be a part of their lives. By accepting the help, you make it possible for them.” Brian told him.

 

“I owe them to be the father they should have had in me.” He answered.

 

“Yes, you do. But make sure they don’t think you see them as a burden, but that you are doing this because you love them.” Brian tells him.

 

Justin left Gus with his mom while he took Molly out shopping. They wanted to allow Peter and John time with Craig and Cara. Daphne was meeting them for lunch between her classes. Justin wanted to spend time with Molly, who hadn’t complained once about all the chaos surrounding them. She welcomed John and Peter and invited them to hang out with her when they wanted to. Justin was proud of Molly for the person she was. She didn’t turn her nose up at the boys, like other kids might. Instead, she planned to become their champion if anyone treated them badly. 

 

“It’s too bad they can’t transfer to my school.” Molly mentioned, looking at a shirt that their father would kill him if he bought her.

 

“Molly, I don’t think they’d like St James.” He told her.

 

“I think the assholes who think they’re so special need to see real life.” Molly told him.

 

“Are you having problems?” Justin asked, mad at himself for not asking her how she’d been.

 

“At first, when Mom and Dad divorced I did, but Mom and Cara dealt with it for me.” She told him.

 

“How?” He asked.

 

“They became friends, and made sure if anyone wanted to snub me they were equally snubbed by both of them. I think they forgot who Mom was, and Dad managed to marry a woman who they didn’t want to get on the bad side of either. That’s when I stopped giving Cara a hard time for loving Dad when I didn’t. For a while, I didn’t know how to deal with it.” She told him.

 

“Loving them both?” Justin asked.

 

“It just felt like I would hurt Mom by liking Cara. It was also that I wanted to hurt Dad by not liking anyone he married and making his life hell for what he did to you.” She told him.

 

 

“It’s hard to believe sometimes that Dad and I managed to make up.” Justin told her, as they made their way to the deli where they were meeting Daphne.

 

Justin and Molly sat outside waiting for Daphne, both quiet and lost in their own thoughts when Molly decided to bring up their mother.

 

“Mom didn’t want to push it, you know? It’s why she didn’t tell you anything had changed with him. She wanted him to prove himself to you.” She told him.

 

“I wouldn’t have believed it if she had told me. Which means she knew what she was doing. I wasn’t ready to risk him being around Gus or Brian, so if he hadn’t made the first move, I doubt I would have.” He told her.

 

“I heard that meeting was uncomfortable.” She giggled.

 

“It also told me he was willing to try, since he admitted how uncomfortable he was.” He told her.

 

“I doubt it would matter if Brian had been a woman. My parents still want to believe I’m a virgin.” Daphne commented, kissing Molly’s cheek and Justin’s before sitting down. 

 

“You aren’t?” Justin asked jokingly.

 

“Of course I am.” Daphne joked as if shocked, making Molly giggle.

 

“I miss this, being with both of you.” Molly told them.

 

“Hey! You mean hanging out with me wasn’t enough?” Daphne asked, pretending to be offended.

 

“Now I have to hang out with you and my new boys.” Molly told her.

 

“And what do you think of the new boys?” Daphne asked, making Justin want to run from the table.

 

“They’re shy right now. But if they’re anything like their uncle, God help the girls in the neighborhood.” Molly said, smirking at Justin.

 

“That would be the boys. But then, none of them would have had a chance with Brian.” Justin told her.

 

“Down children. So tell me more about the baby mama drama.” Daphne ordered Justin.

 

“I don’t get why she and Michael thought having a kid would make Brian do anything for them. Claire and Michael act like this somehow makes sense to them.” Justin told her.

 

“From what Deb says, they both think Brian will do what he’s always done in the past and deal with their problems. She told Mom and me that when Michael got in trouble, it always fell to Brian because Deb depended on him for that. Deb feels really guilty about it. She said Michael can’t seem to believe anyone will mean more to Brian than he does.” Molly told her.

 

“So he ignores the obvious. Which is Brian moving on with his life to be with Justin. Then hurts himself to get Brian. The man seriously needs help.” Daphne told them.

 

“I think that’s why he won’t. He thinks Brian will eventually do what he wants.” Justin told her.

 

“Having a baby isn’t the answer.” Molly commented.

 

“He wants to believe it’s the only reason Brian wants Justin.” Emmett said, sitting down. “Brian told me you guys were going to be here, I thought I’d come by, if that’s okay?” He asked.

 

“Is there something going on?” Justin asked.

 

“Not that I know of. Reese was busy and when I stopped by to see Deb at your dad’s,  Brian was there with John. Brian suggested I entertain you.” He told Justin.

 

“Since you’re here maybe you could convince Justin to buy me the shirt I want.” Molly begged Emmett.

 

“Dad would kick my ass if I brought you a half shirt and a skirt that barely covers your… things.” Justin said, shuddering. Suddenly wanting to ask when he became the clothing police.

 

“Don’t forget the shoes.” Molly reminded him.

 

“Well, Dad can’t kill me, so let’s go.” Emmett told her.

 

“Emmett!! Seriously, my Dad will kill us.” Justin whispered.

 

Emmett managed to steer Molly away from the outfit she wanted and showed her outfits ‘less daring to her tushy’ as he told her. Molly ran to the fitting room to try them on. While Justin and Emmett sat waiting together.

 

“Baby, trust me to know how to get people to buy what they should, not what they want. I’ll be the favorite son after this.” Emmett said, dragging Justin behind him.

 

“Do you have any idea why Michael is doing any of this?” Justin asked, as they let Daphne and Molly look around the store Emmett took them to.

 

“Using Claire?” He asked.

 

“I just don’t understand, other than that he wants Brian. But using the sister Brian pretty much hates won’t win him any awards. Plus, I’m not liking that Lindsay’s family helped him either. What’s wrong with these people?” Justin asked, bewildered by all of them.

 

“It’s likely that in his head he now has a blood tie to Brian. Which is strange, yes, but it gives him something you don’t have.” Emmett told him.

 

“I wasn’t even in the picture when Michael thought this up.” Justin reminds him.

 

“But Lindsay was, and in a way she one upped Michael by having Gus, who was the reason Brian didn’t spend time with Michael. Around that time, Michael made a joke that Brian needed a reason to give up on the kid he never wanted. He probably thought by having a baby with Brian’s sister he would be giving Brian what he wanted.” Emmett told Justin.

 

“That actually makes sense, knowing Michael.” Justin told him.

 

“Only if you live in the land of the deluded.” Daphne told them. “Molly likes the one Emmett told her would compliment her better.” She told them, walking off.

 

“We’ll live, but make sure Dad knows it’s all because of me.” Emmett said, clapping when Molly showed off for them.

 

Justin realized his family was growing everyday, and that they would stand by them if problems arose. They all had safety nets in each other. He knew they would be tested, but trusted in the people in his life and the ones he had through Brian to weather the storms that were ahead.